Author Topic: Teacher disciplined for 'Santa is white' remark  (Read 5062 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Teacher disciplined for 'Santa is white' remark
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
just another fox news viewer  :D

Source: abc News

Officials at the school in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north of Albuquerque, announced Friday that the teacher recently was disciplined for his comments to the student, but they declined to say how, KOB-TV reported (http://goo.gl/GYqcJr).

The move came after students at Cleveland High School were told they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer.

Michael Rougier said his ninth-grade son, Christopher, arrived wearing a Santa hat and beard, and the teacher asked the boy: "Don't you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?"

The teacher's name was not released, and attempts by The Associated Press to reach school officials Saturday were unsuccessful.

Michael Rougier said the teacher's comments enraged him.

"There's no room for that in the classroom," he said. "Whether this teacher felt Christopher may have been wearing this out of context, there's no room for it. There's just no room for it."

The incident happened the same week that Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly said on the air that both Santa Claus and Jesus were white. Her comments drew national attention and prompted a slew of heated comments on blogs and social media sites.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/teacher-disciplined-santa-white-remark-21221067

OG Santa Approves

A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »
Yeah, how many kids would believe in Santa if he were black.  Sneak into your house while you were sleeping and actually leaving shit behind?  No way.

Pretty much the same damn reason the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are white too.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
Yeah, how many kids would believe in Santa if he were black.  Sneak into your house while you were sleeping and actually leaving shit behind?  No way.

Pretty much the same damn reason the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are white too.

Why is it so hard for those on the left to respect cultural traditions?
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:47 AM »

:D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Why is it so hard for those on the left to respect cultural traditions?

Probably because it has been demonstrably proven that those on the left prefer facts to fiction.
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Probably because it has been demonstrably proven that those on the left prefer facts to fiction.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Neither side runs on facts.  You wouldn't know a fact if it came up and bit you on the ass.
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

That's just a damn lie... (More fiction).

When it comes to politics, they both lie and create fiction to suit their agenda.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
hahahah thats funny convict

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
That's just a damn lie... (More fiction).

When it comes to politics, they both lie and create fiction to suit their agenda.

True, ...but at least Liberal lies have a modicum of intelligence to them verses Conservative lies which are just batshit crazy and based on superstition & fear.  Decisions made based on fear are always stupid. Fear addles the brain.
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
True, ...but at least Liberal lies have a modicum of intelligence to them verses Conservative lies which are just batshit crazy and based on superstition & fear.  Decisions made based on fear are always stupid. Fear addles the brain.

Both make decisions based primarily on irrational fear and misguided idealism.  You just happen to agree with some of it so you can't see its utter nonsense.
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
True, ...but at least Liberal lies have a modicum of intelligence to them verses Conservative lies which are just batshit crazy and based on superstition & fear.  Decisions made based on fear are always stupid. Fear addles the brain.

Every conservative viewpoint is not a "Fear tactic".

Are there some? Certainly, but it didn't keep Liberals from using the same exact viewpoint and tactics when it suits their purposes.

(See wars in Afghanistan and Iraq along with the Patriot Act)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
You're as bad as Wiggs.

No...the establishment of Santa was in a location Byzantine Anatolia now known as Turkey.  Santa is actually a Turkish person so he would look as much....he's not a cracker
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »

No...the establishment of Santa was in a location Byzantine Anatolia now known as Turkey.  Santa is actually a Turkish person so he would look as much....he's not a cracker

He was Greek and the mythos is largely Northern European and European american in origin.  One thing for certain, he wasn't black. Learn the facts, Vince.  

I'm reposted this from another thread I posted on.

They reminded us that Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas, a Greek who lived in what is now Turkey and would probably have had olive-colored skin, no freckles, and thus not be a white man at all.

It’s true that linguistic corruption eventually transformed “Saint Nikolaos” into “Santa Claus.” It’s also true that the real-life St. Nick was known for his gift-giving ways. But that’s where most of the similarities seem to end. Otherwise, the St. Nicholas legend veers off into other weird pathways such as how he liked to help sailors and how he saved three poor daughters from becoming hookers and the time where he resurrected three boys who’d been chopped to death by a butcher.

Other major elements of the Santa Claus legend seem to have been supplied by Northern European mythology that got subsumed into Christianity as it conquered the continent. Northern Germans and Scandinavians celebrated a holiday called Yule around the winter solstice. During Yule season, the white-bearded pagan god Odin would traverse the skies by night on his eight-legged horse. Children would place boots near the chimney filled with straw for Odin’s horse to eat. In the morning they’d awake to find the straw replaced with gifts and candy. It is thought that Odin’s eight-legged horse would later morph into eight tiny reindeer and the boots would become Christmas stockings.

The British, Dutch, and others would add several layers to the Santa myth, but what’s important is that beyond St. Nicholas’s Greek origins, everything else about the legend appears to have germinated and developed in Northern Europe. (Further modifications were made to the Santa Claus myth in America, but Thomas Nast and Clement Clarke Moore also had skin as pink as bubble gum.) Santa Claus is a primarily Northern European cultural icon and therefore about as white as it gets.

His generosity made the legendary Nicholas a popular saint in medieval Europe, though a brief encounter with Google turned up no date for his actual sainthood. Hollanders, in particular, took a liking to St. Nicholas. In fact it may be safe to claim that the Santa Claus we know today had his roots in Holland.

He made his first known appearance in America in December, 1773 when a New York newspaper reported that Dutch families had gathered to honor his death, traditionally on December 6.

Sinter Klaas, as the Dutch knew him, was anglicized to Santa Claus and after enduring a series of makeovers, ended up with the iconic visage we recognize today.

That visage was canonized by a poem written in 1822 by Episcopal minister Clement Clarke Moore. Though intended for his three daughters, A Visit from St. Nicholas was reluctantly published. The brilliant professor of Oriental and Greek Literature is known as the author of T'was the Night Before Christmas.

In 1841 a retailer had the bright idea of creating a life-size Santa Claus to attract children to his shop with parents and their pocketbooks in tow. When thousands of kids showed up, the idea was copied by other stores with real-life Santas becoming the mainstay. By the end of the 19th century the Salvation Army got into the fray by dressing their bell ringers is Santa Claus costumes. By then Sinter Klaas had become truly Americanized and commercialized.

In 1881 a political cartoonist named Thomas Nast added a few pounds to Santa Claus when he literally drew on Moore's poem to create the the modern image of Santa Claus.

In 1939 a copywriter for Montgomery Ward department store, Robert L. May, added a reindeer named Rudolph. Ten years later May's friend, Johnny Marks, put a shortened version of his poem to music. That was recorded by Gene Autry and sold over two million copies.

All white people.  It's ours, get the fuck over it.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
We all realize Santa Claus in the United States is just a fictional character, right? 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
On a side note, the Turkish people were of predominantly European stock before the influx of Muslim Arabs and still are largely European genetically.  White people come in many hues from olive skinned to bone white.   The spainards who are olives skinned where considered white by native peoples in America as were the Portuguese in Africa and Asia.

Get over, he's ours.
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
We all realize Santa Claus in the United States is just a fictional character, right?  

Yeah, I just dislike cultural revisionism in all it's forms.   It's also strange to me that because Nicholas was Greek/Turkish and of an olive complexion that somehow means he's somehow closer to blacks.   My mother is olive skinned and dark hair.  It's a weird rationalization.   As far as I'm concerned Santa can be of any color but don't bullshit about what his origin is and what he looks like.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »
Yeah, I just dislike cultural revisionism in all it's forms.   It's also strange to me that because Nicholas was Greek/Turkish and of an olive complexion that somehow means he's somehow closer to blacks.   My mother is olive skinned and dark hair.  It's a weird rationalization.   As far as I'm concerned Santa can be of any color but don't bullshit about what his origin is and what he looks like.

This is one of the dumbest debates I can remember.  Next we'll be arguing about whether Shaft was black, whether Bruce Lee was Chinese, whether Speedy Gonzalez was Mexican . . . .

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
This is one of the dumbest debates I can remember.  Next we'll be arguing about whether Shaft was black, whether Bruce Lee was Chinese, whether Speedy Gonzalez was Mexican . . . .

It is pretty silly but the bullshit arguments are what interest me.  This is obviously an example of what the right might call cultural Marxism.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
It is pretty silly but the bullshit arguments are what interest me.  This is obviously an example of what the right might call cultural Marxism.

What's to argue about?  It's a fictional character.  I don't think it's an example of anything other than all of us having too much time on our hands.  lol

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
What's to argue about?  It's a fictional character.  I don't think it's an example of anything other than all of us having too much time on our hands.  lol

That's probably true but I always feel compelled to call bullshit when I see it.   Pretty soon they will be arguing that Santa Claus is a sexist idea and more time should be given to Mrs. Claus
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »

Exactly, but for the sake of correctness, I have to point out that megyn was wrong in the vidoe, john stewart was in fact correct. However, I would say with all that said Santa is white. I have never pictured a sand black coming down my hut shaft with tabouleh and oil.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Exactly, but for the sake of correctness, I have to point out that megyn was wrong in the vidoe, john stewart was in fact correct. However, I would say with all that said Santa is white. I have never pictured a sand guy coming down my hut shaft with tabouleh and oil.

I actually watched the segment on Megyn Kelly's show and didn't think twice about it.  Pretty funny to see the fallout over about a five minute segment. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
Exactly, but for the sake of correctness, I have to point out that megyn was wrong in the vidoe, john stewart was in fact correct. However, I would say with all that said Santa is white. I have never pictured a sand guy coming down my hut shaft with tabouleh and oil.

Turks aren't Arabs.  They've done genetic studies on this.  And the Santa coming down the chimney has nothing to do witn st Nichols. Much of our tradition about Santa Claus comes from holland and the unites states.
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
He was Greek and the mythos is largely Northern European and European american in origin.  One thing for certain, he wasn't black. Learn the facts, Vince.  

He didn't say he was black did he? straw man lined up and knocked down .