Author Topic: And so it begins: a fat tax  (Read 1554 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
And so it begins: a fat tax
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
On Friday, the State Employees' Insurance Board announced a new plan beginning next year in which state employees will be required to receive medication screenings for several conditions, including body mass index. Those considered obese or who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high glucose will have to pay $25 a month more in health insurance beginning in January 2011, if they don't take steps to address their health problems.

The new rule will affect more than 37,000 people employed by the state. Alabama is the first state to issue a so-called fat tax. The state already charges smokers a $24 per month surcharge (which will increase to $25 next month).

Alabama has the second highest obesity rate in the country, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Just over 30% of the population is obese, ranking just behind Mississippi. Still, a fat tax?

Alabama state officials say they will offer programs, such as Weight Watchers and YMCA discounts, to help the employees get in shape and avoid the penalty. But health experts aren't so sure a punitive approach is the best way to lower healthcare costs. The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine has published a list of tactics employers can use to help fight obesity. The list is made up entirely of positive incentives; nothing suggesting fines or penalties.

Jeffrey Levi, executive director of Trust for America's Health and a health policy expert at George Washington University, told WebMD that the Alabama requirements could be interpreted as a genetic penalty for those who are predisposed to weight or cholesterol problems. "We need to recognize the complexity of these things," he says.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2008/08/alabama-places.html

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
Re: A fat tax
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:14 AM »
a step in the right direction, but a body fat % test via caliper is way better than the BMI.  At 9% bodyfat im considered obese by the BMI

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:38 AM »
On Friday, the State Employees' Insurance Board announced a new plan beginning next year in which state employees will be required to receive medication screenings for several conditions, including body mass index. Those considered obese or who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high glucose will have to pay $25 a month more in health insurance beginning in January 2011, if they don't take steps to address their health problems.

The new rule will affect more than 37,000 people employed by the state. Alabama is the first state to issue a so-called fat tax. The state already charges smokers a $24 per month surcharge (which will increase to $25 next month).

Alabama has the second highest obesity rate in the country, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Just over 30% of the population is obese, ranking just behind Mississippi. Still, a fat tax?

Alabama state officials say they will offer programs, such as Weight Watchers and YMCA discounts, to help the employees get in shape and avoid the penalty. But health experts aren't so sure a punitive approach is the best way to lower healthcare costs. The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine has published a list of tactics employers can use to help fight obesity. The list is made up entirely of positive incentives; nothing suggesting fines or penalties.

Jeffrey Levi, executive director of Trust for America's Health and a health policy expert at George Washington University, told WebMD that the Alabama requirements could be interpreted as a genetic penalty for those who are predisposed to weight or cholesterol problems. "We need to recognize the complexity of these things," he says.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2008/08/alabama-places.html

Why did you say that pretty Chinese girl was a Thai transvestite?
I hate the State.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »
i could maybe see the weight tax but high cholesterol and high glucose levels have a lot to do with genetics and heredity and there are plenty of thin to normal sized people who have high levels of both.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
This is a bullshit test.  Unfortunately  someone like Jay Cutler at 3% bodyfat would be considered obese due to his weight vs. Height.  They'd say someone his height should weigh 160 pounds and since he's 250 he'd be considered obese.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
a step in the right direction, but a body fat % test via caliper is way better than the BMI.  At 9% bodyfat im considered obese by the BMI

BMI is a fucking joke.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
BMI is a fucking joke.

Exactly - I'm classed as morbidly obese on that thing - I think I'm about 32 or 33 on the scale.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »
Calculate your BMI here

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: And so it begins: a fat tax
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

Agreed.

I'm 27.3 :-\

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
My BMI is 28.0

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
Calculate your BMI here

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Damn. To be in the middle of the "normal" range I'm supposed to be 160lbs.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
::) another sub 10 percent at 250 pounds beast.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
Obviously the Alabama approach needs work, but its about time rates were determined by lifestyle. My car insurance company gives me a rebate each year there isn't a claim. Why should your health insurance not be based on at least some basic lifestyle criteria? It's a joke when a chain smoker pays the same rate as someone who lives a fairly healthy life. I like the idea of getting rebates and discounts if you try to take care of yourself.

I run a small business and the health insurance premiums rise about 15% a year. Something has got to be done, and I believe it should be a market based approach.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »
Universal Health Care makes it a moot point and will save everyone money in the long term.  You are already paying for it and then some, but you are not getting anything for the medical and insurance overspending.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
Universal Health Care makes it a moot point and will save everyone money in the long term.  You are already paying for it and then some, but you are not getting anything for the medical and insurance overspending.

Well if the government runs it, it will be a major disaster, like all the other "universal" programs they've initiated.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »

It's the right idea to make large people pay their fair share, but sadly, there's really no way to implement it. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
Blackies and mexicans are the fattest in the U.S, do you really think Shaqina and Jose (not to mention their 40 million illegal friends) will be paying for this?

God bless you white America, you had a good ride, but you chose pop culture over education; football rather than awareness; you chose to vote for your own demise, so sit back and take the fucking cock.

Close the doors on your way out

Right.

Anyone who is worth a shiit is going to have their own doctor anyways (just like what happens in Europe and Canada now!)

Universal health care is just another ploy by the radicals to get Americans to support the third world.

The low class already has free health care. It's called the ER and Public Health Clinic.

31.7    Fucck! I'm a fat ass!!!!