Author Topic: How many miles can you run for? Running is 10x harder than weight training.  (Read 8751 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Once you develop an aerobic base, you can pretty much run 10 min miles all day.

That's the problem.

People use running not for health and fitness, but as a way to fill the hours; thus, 50k, 100k & 100 mile Ultramarathons.

If the point is that the heart is a muscle, why not treat it as such and train it for a 1/2 hour with 72 hrs rest in between?

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
A lot of it depends on your body type. I am a thick stump and managed to train hard enough to run a trail half marathon in 2:07, that was way too far for me.

My body responds better to shorter distances with more intensity. I like my morning runs and go 3 or so times a week but never for more than 3 miles. That way I get a decent run and I am done in under 1/2 an hour.

When I would come back from running 6 miles or more I was completely depleted, now I run 2 miles hard and I feel pretty decent.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Team 0.0

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Actually long distance running is considered unhealthy to the heart by research. Light cardio and weight training is advised instead.

This depends what you mean by "long".  Running is probably the best thing you can do for your cardiovascular health.  There is a point of diminishing returns but you must run extreme distances on a regular basis and probably combine it with other unhealthy lifestyle habits for it to actually be detrimental.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Running is easy as shit and I used to run for miles and miles every single day for cross-country and track.   Consistently working out, hitting PRs, is way more difficult in my opinion.  When I ran competitively, it was all basically done on autopilot.  I can still run for days and days if I wanted to.  I have a giant ribcage which house large, stretched out lungs and I do not tire.  One of the things I used to do to increase my lung capacity and endurance for track and cross-country was swimming pool lengths underwater without taking breaths.  You go until you feel like you are going to die, and you go more.  You still have enough oxygen.  You go until you get the first bit of tunnel vision then surface.  Takes practice.

Running is childs play for me.  Glad I don`t waste the time with it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
This depends what you mean by "long".  Running is probably the best thing you can do for your cardiovascular health.  There is a point of diminishing returns but you must run extreme distances on a regular basis and probably combine it with other unhealthy lifestyle habits for it to actually be detrimental.

Depends more on intensity and how long it is kept up and for what distance.

Running is NOT good for you, especially on pavement.  Humans are poor runners and do not have the body for it at all.  The bipedal thing is not meant for it at all. 

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team

I've seen research suggesting surprisingly low levels of diminishing returns, something like once or twice per week for 30 minutes. Cardiovascular health is one thing, ligaments and joints is another thing. Contrary to popular belief, compound movements with full ROM actually improve joint health by building muscles that protect them. This is why weight training is essential also for runners. Pictures posted in this thread show endurance athletes that have built their bodies with weight training and then used them in their main sport.

I think walking, not running, is best activity for humans. I feel awesome when I just move around a lot. I am way too practical to walk just for the sake of walking so for me it is a simple matter of choosing walking instread of car/bus when I go shopping etc.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15549097

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=williams+pt%5Bau%5D+running

^^^ These studies had 75,000 subjects in them.  But I'm sure getbiggers know better.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15549097

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=williams+pt%5Bau%5D+running

^^^ These studies had 75,000 subjects in them.  But I'm sure getbiggers know better.
:D

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_145434.html

Too Much Running Tied to Shorter Lifespan, Studies Find

Tuesday, April 1, 2014
HealthDay news image

Related MedlinePlus Page

Exercise and Physical Fitness

TUESDAY, April 1 (HealthDay News) -- Running regularly has long been linked to a host of health benefits, including weight control, stress reduction, better blood pressure and cholesterol.

However, recent research suggests there may a point of diminishing returns with running.

A number of studies have suggested that a "moderate" running regimen -- a total of two to three hours per week, according to one expert -- appears best for longevity, refuting the typical "more is better" mantra for physical activity.

The researchers behind the newest study on the issue say people who get either no exercise or high-mileage runners both tend to have shorter lifespans than moderate runners. But the reasons why remain unclear, they added.

The new study seems to rule out cardiac risk or the use of certain medications as factors.

"Our study didn't find any differences that could explain these longevity differences," said Dr. Martin Matsumura, co-director of the Cardiovascular Research Institute at the Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown, Pa.

Matsumura presented the findings Sunday at the American College of Cardiology's annual meeting in Washington, D.C. Studies presented at medical meetings are typically viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Matsumura and his colleagues evaluated data from more than 3,800 men and women runners, average age 46. They were involved in the Masters Running Study, a web-based study of training and health information on runners aged 35 and above. Nearly 70 percent reported running more than 20 miles a week.

The runners supplied information on their use of common painkillers called NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen and naproxen/Aleve), which have been linked with heart problems, as well as aspirin, known to be heart-protective. The runners also reported on known heart risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, family history of heart disease and smoking history.

None of these factors explained the shorter lives of high-mileage runners, the researchers said. Use of NSAIDs was actually more common in runners who ran less than 20 miles weekly, Matsumura's team noted. "The study negates the theory that excessive use of NSAIDs may be causing this loss of longevity among high-mileage runners," Matsumura said.

So what's the advice to fitness-oriented Americans?

"I certainly don't tell patients 'Don't run,' " Matsumura said. But, he does tell high-mileage runners to stay informed about new research into the mileage-lifespan link as more becomes known.

"What we still don't understand is defining the optimal dose of running for health and longevity," he said.

Even though the heart disease risk factors couldn't explain the shorter longevity of high-mileage runners, there do seem to be potentially life-shortening ill effects from that amount of running, said Dr. James O'Keefe, director of preventive cardiology at the Mid-American Heart Institute in Kansas City.

O'Keefe, who reviewed the findings, believes there may simply be "too much wear and tear" on the bodies of high-mileage runners. He has researched the issue and is an advocate of moderate running for the best health benefits. Chronic extreme exercise, O'Keefe said, may induce a "remodeling" of the heart, and that could undermine some of the benefits that moderate activity provides.

In O'Keefe's view, the "sweet spot" for jogging for health benefits is a slow to moderate pace, about two or three times per week, for a total of one to 2.5 hours.

"If you want to run a marathon," he said, "run one and cross it off your bucket list." But as a general rule, O'Keefe advises runners to avoid strenuous exercise for more than an hour at a time.

SOURCES: James O'Keefe, M.D, cardiologist and director, preventive cardiology, Mid-America Heart Institute, Kansas City, Mo.; Martin Matsumura, M.D., cardiologist and co-director, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Lehigh Valley Health Network, Allentown, Pa.; March 30, 2014, presentation, American College of Cardiology annual meeting, Washington, D.C.
HealthDay
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
Stop being an idiot Adonis.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/in-stride/Nope-Running-Isnt-Going-to-Shorten-Your-Lifespan.html

One contentious study using surveys conducted on the internet up against the dozens of actual research studies showing contrary evidence doesn't make you correct.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Running is the single hardest exercise by far. Distance running is imo vastly more brutal and taxing than any weightlifting. And i dont care what anyone says, long distance running is BAD for you. Sprints are awesome, feel good and actually build muscle...but long distance running is horrible. It makes my body feel like its gonna die, cannot possibly be good for the heart, and absolutely destroys your joints. Not to mention makes you scrawny and emaciated.

Method101

• Getbig V
The ripped muscular distance runners shown in this thread are either genetic anomalies or on gear. Most long distance runners are skinny fat.
not skinny fat but skinny yes. Any elite long distance runner is below 6% body fat.

If you wear the correct footwear, take adequate rest periods in-between sessions and have correct form then running is not going to destroy your joints, infact it makes them stronger.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
Stick 350kg on your traps fro a squat and tell me weightlifting is easy!!
We get you, you failed at weightlifting so boast about a completely different sport. Thats like saying 'Well I cannot run fast but im good at Playstation'

Method101

• Getbig V
Stick 350kg on your traps fro a squat and tell me weightlifting is easy!!
We get you, you failed at weightlifting so boast about a completely different sport. Thats like saying 'Well I cannot run fast but im good at Playstation'

I can bench press 120kgx8 and I'm sticking to it, anything more is not worthwhile for a natural. It took me 4 years to go from 100kgx8 to 120kgx8 lol.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Running is the single hardest exercise by far. Distance running is imo vastly more brutal and taxing than any weightlifting. And i dont care what anyone says, long distance running is BAD for you. Sprints are awesome, feel good and actually build muscle...but long distance running is horrible. It makes my body feel like its gonna die, cannot possibly be good for the heart, and absolutely destroys your joints. Not to mention makes you scrawny and emaciated.
::)

I can run forever.  Easiest thing I know how to do.  I take it you never participated in any kind of running athletics ever.

Some people just aren`t any good at it.  I get that.  I happen to be extremely good at long distance running.  It really is a waste of time for me.  

Method101

• Getbig V
  Humans are poor runners and do not have the body for it at all.  The bipedal thing is not meant for it at all. 

I can run forever.  Easiest thing I know how to do.  

This is contrary to your previous post where you said running is terrible and humans are not made for it.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
You should only run if you need to (health reasons). I'd personally rather ride a bike although I can sprint, running is not fun.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
not skinny fat but skinny yes. Any elite long distance runner is below 6% body fat.

If you wear the correct footwear, take adequate rest periods in-between sessions and have correct form then running is not going to destroy your joints, infact it makes them stronger.
Really?

You are a moron.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
This is contrary to your previous post where you said running is terrible and humans are not made for it.

Yes, I can run forever and yes its bad for me and I do not do it.

How is that contradictory you dumbshit?

Method101

• Getbig V
Really?

You are a moron.

The only people who looks skinnyfat there are not elite runners lol.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
The only people who looks skinnyfat there are not elite runners lol.
???  They are all olympians you moron and the ones who look the worst are all elite runners, specifically long distance.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Call me Mr. 6 Percent Bodyfat.  :D

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
Running to a certain point is good....I believe the marker is 25mi/week. Anything beyond that is going to have a negative impact. Marathoners show symptoms of heart attacks or heart damage after a marathon.

In my opinion, running is more difficult than lifting. A challenging sprint workout is many times harder than a challenging lifting workout. A long run vs lifting? The long run will only be harder if you push the pace.

But I've thrown up after many races and runs, I've never thrown up after a lifting session.

Also, TA, I get that this is getbig and all, but if you're gonna say long distance running is "so easy" please inject some humility into those statements so they're more credible  :P

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem

I can run forever.  Easiest thing I know how to do.  I take it you never participated in any kind of running athletics ever.

Some people just aren`t any good at it.  I get that.  I happen to be extremely good at long distance running.  It really is a waste of time for me.  

You should be able to walk on to the US Olympic track team then ::)

Lol you are such a tool