Author Topic: Paul Anderson  (Read 11228 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Paul Anderson
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:40:34 AM »
1. were this guys strength claims for real
2. if they were, he was the strongest man ever.

squat 1200lbs in the 50's-60's, easily did 800 for reps, plus pressing strength was incredible, was he drug-free during his time? what is the consensus on this beast?

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
Re: Paul Anderson
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 02:34:48 AM »
I made a comment sometime ago about Paul squatting 1200. There is some self proclaimed historian on strength who asked me if it was Paul's famous " sliver dollar " lift. I said there was a pic in one of the first issues of Muscle Mag international, showing what they said was a 1200lbs squat, he ( is it Joe ?)  never answered . . . he might not have seen it.

I also recall a " back lift " Paul did on televisionfor the G. Book of World Records in which ( if memory serves me ) Paul used the complete surface of his back to lift in excess of 3000lbs, a few inches off a platform.

I think Paul was the greatest squatter who ever lived, bar none. I also feel in terms of brute strength ( not agility and cardio based stuff like todays strongman do ) no one could come close to Paul, net even today.

As a side note, I saw film of Paul carrying a small ( not baby ) cow in a movie he was in. And that was long before special effects.

I don't recall hearing of him ever using gear. He did drink raw milk between sets, during workouts which lasted  6 hours.

The Beef

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 08:13:05 AM »
Paul Anderson was a big man with a big heart. Not to mention he was strong as hell!

"Anderson's strength outstripped the capacity of barbells of the time, so
he improvised using iron wheels, as shown here, and other equipment that he made himself."

For a lot of great articles and pictures check out this link:

http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/ArchivesPaulAnderson.html

He really did seem to invent the notion "If the barbell ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!"

He also opened a Christian house for abused and disadvantaged children

http://www.payh.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:21:07 AM »
 Anybody know what his legit stats were?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »
The picture says 900 lbs - so he could squat at least that - that's pretty damn strong, especially considering that his singlet prolly isnt quite the same as an Inzer squatting suit

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:36:28 AM »
look at the weight in the bench press pic, unreal.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:55:20 PM »
bump for the 1200lb squat

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »
look at the weight in the bench press pic, unreal.

Fake plates ::)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
He squatted 700 for 10 easy reps at an exhibition in Dallas in 1964. My dad and many other lifters at that meet (Terry Todd, Ronnie Ray, Boyer Coe, etc) saw this feat of strength firsthand. The world record squat at the time was around 700.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:51:35 AM »

is it me or is the bastard smiling during that 900lb squat??  :o
carpe` vaginum!

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »
I made a comment sometime ago about Paul squatting 1200. There is some self proclaimed historian on strength who asked me if it was Paul's famous " sliver dollar " lift. I said there was a pic in one of the first issues of Muscle Mag international, showing what they said was a 1200lbs squat, he ( is it Joe ?)  never answered . . . he might not have seen it.

I also recall a " back lift " Paul did on televisionfor the G. Book of World Records in which ( if memory serves me ) Paul used the complete surface of his back to lift in excess of 3000lbs, a few inches off a platform.

I think Paul was the greatest squatter who ever lived, bar none. I also feel in terms of brute strength ( not agility and cardio based stuff like todays strongman do ) no one could come close to Paul, net even today.

As a side note, I saw film of Paul carrying a small ( not baby ) cow in a movie he was in. And that was long before special effects.

I don't recall hearing of him ever using gear. He did drink raw milk between sets, during workouts which lasted  6 hours.

The Beef

Not sure if I am the 'Joe' you refer to, but Paul never made a claim to have backlifted 3,000 and certainly not for the Book of Records. I have written a three part investigation regarding the accurate weight of his safe (2,300 lbs not 3,500 lbs- his daughter had it weighed and proved my research) and many other aspects of Anderson's lifting.

Kaz claims to have one of Anderson's aluminum plates. In some photos the fake plates are very obvious.

What cannot be doubted is that Anderson was a squatting machine- literally walking into a local gym (on his travels) and using the weights that everyone else used he would warm-up with 600 or 700 pounds for a set of 8 or ten reps.

Ads appearing in a Reno newspaper at the time of his fortnight at the Mapes Hotel for his Silver Dollar barbell squat offer the weight at hundreds of pounds less than later claimed.

There are many inaccuracies about Paul's lifting history, so if you are interested please visit my site. My position on his lifting has made me very unpopular among those who have simply believed what was written about him without investigation.

There are only three subjects about which I consider myself an expert:
1. Paul Anderson's lifting history.
2. Thomas Inch and his dumbells
3. The history of IFBB pro contests

Yes, I self-proclaim myself to be an expert in these matters.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:23:24 AM »
Yes you are the Joe . . .

As I look at that post, I looks a little disrespectful and I am sorry.

I get pissed when I see Paul questioned, the man had heart and integrity. I wonder if Kaz has one of "Paul's aluminum plates " or plates that were provided to him for photos or exhibition purposes.

I have tried to log onto your board, received my activation e-mail and it never worked.

Everything else aside, Paul Anderson all things factored in . . . suites, training, supps and drugs, is Paul Anderson the greatest squatter of all time? Could he blow everyone off the stage today if he was in his prime, with all things being equal.

The Beef

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »
In my opinion, performing the squats the ways he did, with the depth and lack of geared clothing, and for reps, Paul is the greatest squatter we have yet seen. If he were allowed the styles being used today, he would appear even better!

I cannot recall a greater instance of increased strength on any lift greater than what Paul achieved in the squat in his early years

By the way, Paul's biographer acknowledged that Paul had wooden plates and he (biographer) used them and took a photo of Paul using them. This was in an obituary after Paul died.

Unless you have been banned from my site you should be able to register- but you can read the forums now without registering. Go to the Red Pencil History section for the Anderson material, if you choose to.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:02:38 AM »
Yes you are the Joe . . .

As I look at that post, I looks a little disrespectful and I am sorry.

I get pissed when I see Paul questioned, the man had heart and integrity. I wonder if Kaz has one of "Paul's aluminum plates " or plates that were provided to him for photos or exhibition purposes.

I have tried to log onto your board, received my activation e-mail and it never worked.

Everything else aside, Paul Anderson all things factored in . . . suites, training, supps and drugs, is Paul Anderson the greatest squatter of all time? Could he blow everyone off the stage today if he was in his prime, with all things being equal.

The Beef

Such is the nature of pursuits like bodybuilding and powerlifting. One can make claims that are difficult to verify, or just plain false. How many claims concerning "gym lifts" and 22 inch arms have been exaggerated?

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 10:09:38 AM »
Paul Anderson was a big man with a big heart. Not to mention he was strong as hell!

"Anderson's strength outstripped the capacity of barbells of the time, so
he improvised using iron wheels, as shown here, and other equipment that he made himself."

For a lot of great articles and pictures check out this link:

http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/ArchivesPaulAnderson.html

He really did seem to invent the notion "If the barbell ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!"

He also opened a Christian house for abused and disadvantaged children

http://www.payh.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

exactly

He was fat  as hell

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 10:11:03 AM »

exactly

He was fat  as hell

The bench photo has to be fake. I've never heard about him doing anywhere near that weight.

Bast175

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
According to an article, the 1200lbs squat was a Quarter Squat.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 12:20:44 PM »
The bench photo has to be fake. I've never heard about him doing anywhere near that weight.

He benched over 600.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »
i was reading the articles on that excellent website and it said paul actually didnt eat all that much...he drank 1-1/2 gallons of milk a day and that was the 'bulk of his dietary intake', he otherwise ate relatively normal amounts and was not a notorious glutton like louis cyr and some of the others.
no steroids, just lots of milk. what a monster.
5-8
350lbs
38inch thighs

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
Different sources over the years 1953-1957 offered differing reports on his milk consumption:
4 quarts per day
6-7 quarts per day
4 gallons per day

Perhaps he varied his intake.

One source offers that he downed two quarts of milk between lifts while training at York.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 12:56:22 PM »
Different sources over the years 1953-1957 offered differing reports on his milk consumption:
4 quarts per day
6-7 quarts per day
4 gallons per day

Perhaps he varied his intake.

One source offers that he downed two quarts of milk between lifts while training at York.
joe roark, i appreciate your knowledgeable contributions to this thread.
paul was all-natural, wasnt he? are there any naturals alive today who can come close to his lifts?

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 01:14:29 PM »
I spoke with Paul years ago- he was not in good health, but we chatted on the phone for about 90 minutes.

I asked him point blank if he had ever tried steroids, and he said no he had not, not even once. Until evidence surfaces otherwise, I will take his statement as true.

Paul was brutally strong in some lifts but not so strong in others. Many strong men are the same way, but somehow when one describes Paul in this way, some people interpret it as a slam, rather than as a fact. One 'historian' became very upset with me when I would not acknowledge that Paul was the strongest man who ever lived in EVERY lift. He was not strong in his hands and many feats depend upon hand strength- deadlifts (for which he often used straps), farmer's carry etc.

There have been some absolutely silly claims about his strength, which I will not mention because someone will convert them from silly to substance.

All of his official records have been surpassed, and were so within a few years of his amateur retirement. Schemansky told me once that Paul outweighed him by 100 lbs and outlifted him by ten pounds. Then he said, 'Big deal'.

Paul's legacy will not be that he was forever the strongest man in the world, but that he did much good for the troubled youth in his Youth Home- a work which his widow continues, and, in my mind, that he had the strongest pair of legs for repetition raw squatting that we have seen. And he need not rest several days to do more sets- he did not have to peak, he simply possessed, day-by-day a readiness at stupendous levels of thigh strength.

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »
for his time, even his legit numbers are outstanding!!!
one of the greatest lifters EVER....
plus, as many have mentioned, a great man of his time
milk milk lemonade a

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »
so there are naturals today who can squat 1000+ pounds?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 01:45:32 PM »
bud jeffries