Author Topic: What tricep movevement hits the Medial head  (Read 10683 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
What tricep movevement hits the Medial head
« on: May 29, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
Not a lot of people actually know where the medial head of the tri is...
its that small head just below the long head...
now all you experienced trainers
..what movement hits that head? or isolates it..?
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: What tricep movevement hits the Medial head
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:08:53 PM »
Not a lot of people actually know where the medial head of the tri is...
its that small head just below the long head...
now all you experienced trainers
..what movement hits that head? or isolates it..?

Pulleys:

-Rope pushdowns, hands wide apart at the bottom. Also do some sets of just the bottom 1/2 ROM.
-One-arm pulley crossovers - with the right hand hold the handle in front of the left shoulder, then extend the arm bringing the handle across the chest to the other shoulder.
-One-arm pulley, standing with back to the pulley - with the right hand hold the handle around the left waist, then cross the pulley out in an arc in front of you to the other side of the stomach.

-Close-grip E-Z curl or triceps bar bench press lowered down to the thoat, esp. on a slight incline, and especially the top 1/2 ROM.

-California/JM Press: Lower an E-Z curl or triceps bar to the face (carefully), then slide the weight to chest and bench press it back up, repeat.

-Close-grip pushups with hands in the "diamond" position with the fingers touching and palms further part. Especially with feet elevated.

-Dips/dip machine with knuckles facing in.

Dumbells:
-Elbows wide apart lying or seated extensions. Keep the elbows wide and lower the DBs around your ears (lying) and in front of your face (seated/incline).

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
good post!!! dont worry about the different heads of a muscle, just do the compounds and you'll be fine with hitting all heads.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »
dont worry about the different heads of a muscle, just do the compounds and you'll be fine with hitting all heads.

Too simple, leaves too much on the table.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
nocal.. i have all heads big and clearly defined... i just want to work a bit nore on that head.. a lot of people dont even knowwhere it is..
good info pumpster... ill try a few excercisrs from the ones you specified .. see if i feel it in that head
choice is an illusion

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
nocal.. i have all heads big and clearly defined... i just want to work a bit nore on that head.. a lot of people dont even knowwhere it is..
good info pumpster... ill try a few excercisrs from the ones you specified .. see if i feel it in that head

You are a dime-a-dozen my friend, I've seen your pics.  Most gym rats have the faint outline of a horseshoe or just a lump that they call a tricep, for them I think NoCaliber's advice is fine.  But for you and a people like you, Pumpster makes excellent suggestions.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:53:16 PM »
 ;D
choice is an illusion

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
You are a dime-a-dozen my friend, I've seen your pics.  Most gym rats have the faint outline of a horseshoe or just a lump that they call a tricep, for them I think NoCaliber's advice is fine.  But for you and a people like you, Pumpster makes excellent suggestions.
i wouldn't say that, Meso has way better arms than most guys you see in gyms, you can tell he's got a lot of muscle fibers in his arms and that he's gifted in that dept.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »
i wouldn't say that, Meso has way better arms than most guys you see in gyms, you can tell he's got a lot of muscle fibers in his arms and that he's gifted in that dept.

That's what I was saying, read the post again.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 02:37:15 PM »

you can't train one hit of a muscle. you can only  do movements that hit a head more then the others.  the movement that pumpster named are most of the compounds for tris.

I they one movement to look into is the two arm DB kickbacks like Ronnie does

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
so i ask the question.. how do u hit the medial head... and some guy says.. you are a dime a dozen... ??? ??? ???
what does that have to do with hitting the medial head of the triceps... ... ??? ??? ???
i have never claimed to be anything special...
i dont even think im gifted in arms in comparison the rest of me...
 ;D ;D
dudes like mike make me laugh..
anyway.. i'll leave the bitchiness to the girls
on to the real issue
no cal bber.. thanks for your contribution. man...  i agree that any movement would hit all three heads.. but each excercise would put varying pressure on different heads..
what excercisesdo you think hit the medial head.. i always figured that would be the excercises that hit the long head.. like seated triceps extensions with the cambered bar..
i do 2 arm kick backs sometimes.. what other excersises do you think hit the medial head i ant to make that bit as thick as the long head of my tris
choice is an illusion

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »
so i ask the question.. how do u hit the medial head... and some guy says.. you are a dime a dozen... ??? ??? ???
what does that have to do with hitting the medial head of the triceps... ... ??? ??? ???
i have never claimed to be anything special...
i dont even think im gifted in arms in comparison the rest of me...
 ;D ;D
dudes like mike make me laugh..
anyway.. i'll leave the bitchiness to the girls
on to the real issue
no cal bber.. thanks for your contribution. man...  i agree that any movement would hit all three heads.. but each excercise would put varying pressure on different heads..
what excercisesdo you think hit the medial head.. i always figured that would be the excercises that hit the long head.. like seated triceps extensions with the cambered bar..
i do 2 arm kick backs sometimes.. what other excersises do you think hit the medial head i ant to make that bit as thick as the long head of my tris
Coleman has said the lower part of the triceps gets worked from the one arm overhead extensions.  I really like reverse grip one arm pushdowns.
Squishy face retard

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 03:28:36 PM »

one arm dumbell extensions kill my elbow...
when you say reverse one arm pulldowns do you do it across the body
choice is an illusion

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »
Mesmorph i think you should make close-grip bench press your number 1 triceps excersise. All the 3 heads get beat that way. I also like to do pussdowns and reverse pushdowns.

All these small excersizes like tricep kickback haha give me a break are a bunch of crapp and they will not deliver you the muscle like bigger movements. ill repeat REAL CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS is all you need for triceps.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »
one arm dumbell extensions kill my elbow...
when you say reverse one arm pulldowns do you do it across the body

I face the stack and pull the handle to my right side when using the right arm and vice versa.
Squishy face retard

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 04:20:53 PM »
Mesmorph i think you should make close-grip bench press your number 1 triceps excersise. All the 3 heads get beat that way. I also like to do pussdowns and reverse pushdowns.

All these small excersizes like tricep kickback haha give me a break are a bunch of crapp and they will not deliver you the muscle like bigger movements. ill repeat REAL CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS is all you need for triceps.
wsup man.. oh i do all the big tri movements.. weighted dips.. close grip benches skulls...
cable excercises i call my bitch movements... i do these towards the end of my workout... for variety
"cap when i do em i usually do em cross body...
but Ill try some of the ones you described tomorrow
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »

Close grip is fine but just as Milos says, "what's the hype with close-grips"? Sergio, Coleman, Larry Scott and others say that extensions are the best size-builder for the biggest part of the triceps with the most growth potential, the long head.

Close-grips are primarily for the two smaller areas, the medial and lateral heads. The same areas hit just as effectively and sometimes better by elbows-out pushdowns, bench dips, dips, etc. To focus on the largest area the long head you have to do a different exercise, something that raises the elbows up to around the ears.

Kickbacks with real weight are great size builders, especially cables that more effectively remove the rear delt from the equation, IMO.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
Close grip is fine but just as Milos says, "what's the hype with close-grips"? that some like Mariachi fall for. Sergio, Coleman, Larry Scott and others wouldn't agree at all, putting extensions ahead of close-grips for the biggest part of the triceps with the greatest growth potential, the long head.

Close-grips are primarily for the two smaller areas, the medial and lateral heads. The same areas hit just as effectively and sometimes better by elbows-out pushdowns, bench dips, dips, etc.

Kickbacks with real weight are great size builders, especially cables IMO.
i agree, close grips are a great movement but i'd say that extensions lowered behind the head are the most important movement for maximizing size in all threee heads, like Pumpster always says lower them behind and below your head level to maximize the stretch.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
i agree, close grips are a great movement but i'd say that extensions lowered behind the head are the most important movement for maximizing size in all threee heads, like Pumpster always says lower them behind and below your head level to maximize the stretch.

In which case you'll get soreness you'll never get from compounds, even after years of doing them. The best of free weight versions is lying, two hands around the end of a dumbbell, with a slight cheat at the beginning to get it moving. Brutal.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
i always do my skulls with my head  slighlty hanging off the benh... elbows pointed to the screes taking the bar all  the way back far behind my head... going for the stretch.. these have given me grat size gains on the tris.. long head in particular..
but i really want to know how to whack the medial head
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 04:36:10 PM »

but i really want to know how to whack the medial head

I think you know by now unless you're referring to another head. :-X

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 04:40:08 PM »
it might just be a "feel" issue Meso, squeeze the living shit out of the tricep at the top of the movement, i've never understood when people say not to lock out on tricep movements, i actually saw that written in Flex a few years ago and i laughed my ass of, locking out is the most important part of the lift along with the stretch.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »
I think you know by now unless you're referring to another head. :-X
;D ;D you got jokes huh
..maybe it is as sarcasm said...its a feel issue.. also if u have that medail head down.. it will make ur tri look fuller as it is the closest head to the elbow
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »
taken  march

for the guy who said.. im a dime dozen...
dont have the greatest arms...
my arms arent my strongest point
but hardly dime a dozen
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
Good size Work to bring up the entire triceps to match those bis.

I wouldn't worry so much about the medial head (smallest); i think basically most things that hit the lateral head will get it.