Author Topic: Beto basically wants to bankrupt churches who don’t believe in gay marriage  (Read 2045 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
How is this guy in public office?? 

Beto basically wants to bankrupt churches who don’t believe in gay marriage
by Brad Polumbo
October 10, 2019

Beto O’Rourke wants the government to punish anyone who has the wrong beliefs. That is, if you’re a church that doesn’t subscribe to liberal orthodoxy on same-sex marriage, why should you have nonprofit, tax-exempt status?

At Thursday night’s CNN LGBT town hall, sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign, the Texas Democrat and mediocre presidential candidate went beyond his usual snipes at Christians to declare all-out war on religious freedom. Churches and religious organizations that don’t support same-sex marriage, he said, should be stripped of the tax-exempt status that allows them to stay afloat financially.

The candidate just spit in the face of the First Amendment. Whether you support gay marriage or not (I certainly do) this amounts to a pernicious form of government viewpoint discrimination. O’Rourke wants to use the weight of the government to punish religious groups he disagrees with.

It’s bizarre, immoral, and shameful.

Tax-exempt status is supposed to go to groups and organizations based on their nonprofit status, not based on whether or not politicians of the day approve of their beliefs. O’Rourke should really reconsider: After all, if he opens this Pandora’s Box, when conservative politicians eventually gain power, it could be the American Civil Liberties Union or Planned Parenthood whose nonprofit status is in jeopardy.

For many of these organizations and churches, losing tax-exempt status would amount to a financial death sentence. There’s little doubt that if every church that followed biblical teachings on homosexuality lost tax-exempt status, thousands upon thousands of churches would likely have to shut their doors.

This includes many Catholic churches, and O’Rourke says he’s a Catholic!

His own stated policy would have the government effectively shut down many churches he supposedly aligns with, all because they disagree with liberals on one moral issue.

This is insane, unconstitutional, and authoritarian. For Beto O’Rourke, it’s pretty on-brand.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/beto-orourke-basically-wants-to-bankrupt-churches-who-dont-believe-in-gay-marriage

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
How is this guy in public office?? 

Beto basically wants to bankrupt churches who don’t believe in gay marriage
by Brad Polumbo
October 10, 2019

Beto O’Rourke wants the government to punish anyone who has the wrong beliefs. That is, if you’re a church that doesn’t subscribe to liberal orthodoxy on same-sex marriage, why should you have nonprofit, tax-exempt status?

At Thursday night’s CNN LGBT town hall, sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign, the Texas Democrat and mediocre presidential candidate went beyond his usual snipes at Christians to declare all-out war on religious freedom. Churches and religious organizations that don’t support same-sex marriage, he said, should be stripped of the tax-exempt status that allows them to stay afloat financially.

The candidate just spit in the face of the First Amendment. Whether you support gay marriage or not (I certainly do) this amounts to a pernicious form of government viewpoint discrimination. O’Rourke wants to use the weight of the government to punish religious groups he disagrees with.

It’s bizarre, immoral, and shameful.

Tax-exempt status is supposed to go to groups and organizations based on their nonprofit status, not based on whether or not politicians of the day approve of their beliefs. O’Rourke should really reconsider: After all, if he opens this Pandora’s Box, when conservative politicians eventually gain power, it could be the American Civil Liberties Union or Planned Parenthood whose nonprofit status is in jeopardy.

For many of these organizations and churches, losing tax-exempt status would amount to a financial death sentence. There’s little doubt that if every church that followed biblical teachings on homosexuality lost tax-exempt status, thousands upon thousands of churches would likely have to shut their doors.

This includes many Catholic churches, and O’Rourke says he’s a Catholic!

His own stated policy would have the government effectively shut down many churches he supposedly aligns with, all because they disagree with liberals on one moral issue.

This is insane, unconstitutional, and authoritarian. For Beto O’Rourke, it’s pretty on-brand.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/beto-orourke-basically-wants-to-bankrupt-churches-who-dont-believe-in-gay-marriage

Julián Castro said pretty much the same thing and he is also a Catholic.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
The Left are pursuing their agenda by having minor pols shout extreme positions from the sidelines to normalize those positions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Julián Castro said pretty much the same thing and he is also a Catholic.

Yes, the same dummy who said we need reproductive justice for transgendered women.  Like I said, a parade of not-too-bright extremists who shouldn't be anywhere near the White House.   

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
I agree the tax exempt church thing is BS.

Beto, however, is a loon.  Guy is either an idiot or has a few screws loose.  Possibly, likely both.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
This is a clear violation of several laws and would never pass constitutional muster.

That doesn't seem to bother you any other time
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
The problem with stopping tax exemption is the same as with gun control. Slippery slope.

I'm not religious but I know what religion and value system built the country. Communists would love to end any benefit to organized religion in order for the state to take that place.

I think a mega church with private jets should be treated differently than the little baptist place barely holding on to maintain a graveyard out in the middle of nowhere also.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
This is a clear violation of several laws and would never pass constitutional muster.
BUT, I don't think ANY church should be tax exempt, regardless of their position on marriage or anything else.
https://www.latimes.com/la-oew-lynn-stanley23-2008sep23-story.html

Have you ever wondered if the Vatican pays taxes?

There are no taxes, no restrictions on the import or export of funds, and no customs or excise duties payable in the Vatican City. Employees of the Vatican pay no income tax and no customs duty on gasoline or goods that they buy in the Vatican.

Vatican City is governed as an absolute monarchy with the pope at its head. The Vatican mints its own euros, prints its own stamps, issues passports and license plates, operates media outlets and has its own flag and anthem. One government function it lacks: taxation.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
BUT, I don't think ANY church should be tax exempt, regardless of their position on marriage or anything else.
https://www.latimes.com/la-oew-lynn-stanley23-2008sep23-story.html
If the left ever got control of the Supreme Court it would.  They will do anything to eliminate their opponents.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Have you ever wondered if the Vatican pays taxes?

There are no taxes, no restrictions on the import or export of funds, and no customs or excise duties payable in the Vatican City. Employees of the Vatican pay no income tax and no customs duty on gasoline or goods that they buy in the Vatican.

Vatican City is governed as an absolute monarchy with the pope at its head. The Vatican mints its own euros, prints its own stamps, issues passports and license plates, operates media outlets and has its own flag and anthem. One government function it lacks: taxation.

You understand the Vatican is in Europe right?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

You understand the Vatican is in Europe right?

Of course I do. Where the Vatican is geographically located is irrelevent. What is relevant is where it gets money from.

Catholic Churches send an annual tax to the Vatican (this includes Catholic churches in the U.S.).

Some dioceses have a kind of 'tax', usually called an “assessment”, on parishes requiring a certain percentage (usually about 10–15%) of their income to be sent to the diocesan curia for these central services. Or a combination of both. There is one special collection, Peter's Pence, that goes straight to the Holy See (the Pope - Vatican).

Where the Vatican is geographically located is irrelevent. What is relevant is where it gets money from.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Of course I do. Where the Vatican is geographically located is irrelevent. What is relevant is where it gets money from.

Catholic Churches send an annual tax to the Vatican (this includes Catholic churches in the U.S.).

Some dioceses have a kind of 'tax', usually called an “assessment”, on parishes requiring a certain percentage (usually about 10–15%) of their income to be sent to the diocesan curia for these central services. Or a combination of both. There is one special collection, Peter's Pence, that goes straight to the Holy See (the Pope - Vatican).

Where the Vatican is geographically located is irrelevent. What is relevant is where it gets money from.

Ah I see, well now we have a relevant point since you've added that info.

Side note, Biden is Catholic and doesn't pay taxes on his "overseas assessments" either.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

Ah I see, well now we have a relevant point since you've added that info.

Side note, Biden is Catholic and doesn't pay taxes on his "overseas assessments" either.  ;D

Good to know...this changes everything. Oh wait, I wasn't rooting for Biden to win the nomination anyway. -Said it before and will say it again; IMO he's too old to be an effective President.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Trump Junior on his Twitter pointed out that Beto left mosques out of the equation. Wonder why?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
If churches, synagogues, mosques and any other officially recognized religion want to continue down the road of tax exempt status then I fully support making them abide by the laws of this great country.  Whatever them laws may be.  If they want to opt out of health care, adoption and marriage laws, then let them pay whatever the corporate tax rate is.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
It's blackmail plain and simple. "Your kids will be raised how we tell you to raise them or else". If the left ever took over complete power you would no doubt have a civil war they would lose. I also stand behind Shapiros statement 1000%

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1182694698659569664?s=21

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Trump Junior on his Twitter pointed out that Beto left mosques out of the equation. Wonder why?

Who knows? Are mosques something you think or talk about much? Of course any omission like this for a campaigning politician is a big deal. Who is his speach writer anyway?