Author Topic: Daytona 500 Injuries  (Read 6374 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Daytona 500 Injuries
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/02/23/fan-injured-daytona-500-nationwide-crash-accident-daytona-international-speedway/1941869/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Two fans are in critical condition, including one child, after a horrific crash on the final lap of the Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday.

Twenty-eight people suffered some sort of injury. Fourteen were treated at the track, and 14 others were taken to hospitals.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Daytona 500 Injuries
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
that video looked painful.   a bunch of jerks at that final lap, just ramming each other. 

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:51:50 AM »
Spending precious time watching cars circle around a track hundreds of times is so fulfilling and worthwhile.

::)   ::)   ::)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
Spending precious time watching cars circle around a track hundreds of times is so fulfilling and worthwhile.

::)   ::)   ::)

left turns of peace   ::)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/02/23/fan-injured-daytona-500-nationwide-crash-accident-daytona-international-speedway/1941869/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Two fans are in critical condition, including one child, after a horrific crash on the final lap of the Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday.

Twenty-eight people suffered some sort of injury. Fourteen were treated at the track, and 14 others were taken to hospitals.

Oh shit.. a coworker of mine was working at that race this weekend.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »
Such a wonderful white trash sport

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:12 AM »
shit, I learned to appreaciate this sport and I'm starting to like it.......it's not for everyone, but NASCAR is a popular American brand and it's seen in many countries as well.......I was watching that race live on ESPN when that final 4 laps resume and then BOOM.....it could have been worst and this was a freak accident......thank goodness no one spectator died and I'm sure NASCAR will compensate those injured.....still, racing is 10 times safer now than in the past....even from the drivers standpoint, the sport is safer than 13yrs ago.....there were drastic changes in the automobiles since Dale Eardheart Sr died at the Daytona 500 12yrs ago.....bottom line is, racing is a dangerous sport, but safety is better than it used to be

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
shit, I learned to appreaciate this sport and I'm starting to like it.......it's not for everyone, but NASCAR is a popular American brand and it's seen in many countries as well.......I was watching that race live on ESPN when that final 4 laps resume and then BOOM.....it could have been worst and this was a freak accident......thank goodness no one spectator died and I'm sure NASCAR will compensate those injured.....still, racing is 10 times safer now than in the past....even from the drivers standpoint, the sport is safer than 13yrs ago.....there were drastic changes in the automobiles since Dale Eardheart Sr died at the Daytona 500 12yrs ago.....bottom line is, racing is a dangerous sport, but safety is better than it used to be
Correct.... After learning about those cars and what goes into getting those cars around the track at those speeds, I have a much healthier respect for the sport.

I've found there is no point in wasting time arguing with the "hurrr durrrr leffftttt turrrnnn" guys.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
Correct.... After learning about those cars and what goes into getting those cars around the track at those speeds, I have a much healthier respect for the sport.

I've found there is no point in wasting time arguing with the "hurrr durrrr leffftttt turrrnnn" guys.

I heard they used to let people drive these cars in the race track with an instructor for about $150-$200 for  6 laps.not sure if that still exist. I have been to a daytona race 3 times before and it's a huge fucking event downthere....they always have some of those cars in display for the public outside the track and these are some of the loudest engines I've ever heard on a car....it's a screaming 800HP and to think that these guys are driving these rockets at close to 200MPH is awesome.....

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
NASCAR is in damage control mode. Tried making a person who took video of the crash take it down from YouTube, and claimed copyright infringement. Then claimed out of respect of the injured. Then YouTube put it back up.

Fact is, NASCAR cares more about the bottomline and Entertainment than about driver or fan safety.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »

I heard they used to let people drive these cars in the race track with an instructor for about $150-$200 for  6 laps.not sure if that still exist. I have been to a daytona race 3 times before and it's a huge fucking event downthere....they always have some of those cars in display for the public outside the track and these are some of the loudest engines I've ever heard on a car....it's a screaming 800HP and to think that these guys are driving these rockets at close to 200MPH is awesome.....

I did ten laps in a car at Charlotte a few years back. It was intense.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
Fact is, NASCAR cares more about the bottomline and Entertainment than about driver or fan safety.
Of course. Welcome to big business broseph.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »
How can anyone sit there for hours and watch a bunch of cars drive around in a circle? I'll never get it.

Then again, most people probably dont get how we watch the mr Olympia. So I guess it's all relative.
X

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
I did ten laps in a car at Charlotte a few years back. It was intense.

maybe you should sponsor your own team in a few years?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
maybe you should sponsor your own team in a few years?

I've noticed you, noticing me. Maybe when I sign you to my football team, and make a few million on jersey sales, we'll talk.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
How can anyone sit there for hours and watch a bunch of cars drive around in a circle? I'll never get it.

Then again, most people probably dont get how we watch the mr Olympia. So I guess it's all relative.
I usually watch the last 10-25 laps. Most of my interest in the sport came after seeing what went into building those motors and how much power they make with relatively old technology. (I should say the type of technology is old, but rest assured they use the latest and greatest of everything.)

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
Maybe when I sign you to my football team, and make a few million on jersey sales, we'll talk.

are you trying to jinx the clowney?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
Of course. Welcome to big business broseph.
and then you have Mercedes, and at the hint of a crash like this where fans are hurt, they pull the plug...reminds everyone of the 1955 Le Mans where over 80 people were killed.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
Holy shit 500 injuries at Daytona!!   :o

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
and then you have Mercedes, and at the hint of a crash like this where fans are hurt, they pull the plug...reminds everyone of the 1955 Le Mans where over 80 people were killed.

I watched a documentary on that race, pretty sad. It's unbievable how many people got taken out by the crash, but when you think of it, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
Yeah, that's stupid IMHO... racing is dangerous, always will be. Shit happens. Can't freak the fuck out every time something bad happens and someone gets hurt.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
I watched a documentary on that race, pretty sad. It's unbievable how many people got taken out by the crash, but when you think of it, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
take a look at the Group B rally cars, and the fatalities with that. People in the road just to look at the cars, and they get hit. Cars rolling off of hills, mountain slopes. 500 hp lightweight cars...
Yeah, that's stupid IMHO... racing is dangerous, always will be. Shit happens. Can't freak the fuck out every time something bad happens and someone gets hurt.
I agree, back at the 1999 Le Mans, when Mercedes CLR-GT1 flipped, they shut down the whole racing program. Nevermind, it was the flat bottom design and Porsche's GT1 flipped as well.

To to :34
http://youtu.be/Ow3rxq7U1mA

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
The Mille Miglia in Italy which was stopped in 1957 was dangerous as fuck.... Spectators were killed all of the time.

The last year of it I believe somewhere like 12 people died so they stopped it from there on.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »
  I do NOT want to be ANY where near ANY thing going 200mph