Author Topic: Self Driving Cars Will Be Here Soon  (Read 6447 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Self Driving Cars Will Be Here Soon
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
Carscoops
U.S. House Passes Nationwide Autonomous Car Bill

The U.S. House has approved a nationwide overhaul of autonomous vehicle legislation.

The bill, which we have reported on before, would allow automakers to deploy up to 25,000 semi-autonomous and autonomous vehicles in the first year without complying to current safety standards. That number would then rise to 100,000 vehicles annually over the next three years.

The bill would also be enacted across the entirety of the U.S. meaning car manufacturers wouldn’t have to worry about complying with different laws in different states. Instead, companies would only need to submit safety assessment reports to regulators while states would continue to handle registration, licensing, liability, insurance and safety inspections.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/us-house-passes-nationwide-autonomous.html

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Re: Self Driving Cars Will Be Here Soon
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
Audi Details New A8’s AI Traffic Jam Pilot, First Level 3 Autonomous System On The Market
Carscoops

It looks like Audi is getting ahead of the autonomous game, introducing the AI Traffic Jam Pilot with the new A8, the market’s first SAE Level 3 autonomous system.

In fact, the system is so advanced, Audi is probably going to ask for a type approval exemption from regulators as the relevant legal frameworks are still being drafted.

This will enable Audi to accelerate the introduction of the AI Traffic Jam Pilot in Europe with the all new A8.

When traveling in nose-to-tail traffic with the system engaged and up to speeds of 60km/h (37mph), the driver is no longer needed to continuously monitor the car and the road. Audi’s AI Traffic Jam Pilot can safely take over control of the car on highways and multi-lane motorways with a physical barrier between the two directions of the traffic.

That involves starting from a stop, accelerating, steering and braking in its lane but also handle more demanding situations such as a car cutting in closely in front. Unlike Level 2 systems, the driver can focus on another activity.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/audi-details-new-a8s-ai-traffic-jam.html

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
End of freedom and privacy  in human transportation.

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Question. Does anybody actually not like driving?

I see only two uses for these: 1. Long trips and bored or have work to do. 2. Too drunk to drive and want to get home.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
It's a good thing that computer hackers don't exist and all computers and software are 100% secure.  Oh, wait.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »

I see only two uses for these: 1. Long trips and bored or have work to do. 2. Too drunk to drive and want to get home.

How many people still drive stick?  Less than 3%.  Who wants to drive in bumper to bumper traffic in LA for hours?

Self driving cars will be VERY popular. 

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
Over my dead body!  >:(

a

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
End of freedom in human transportation.

The beginning of the freedom to post on Getbig during the commute home from work.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »
The beginning of the freedom to post on Getbig during the commute home from work.

The car I drive is halfway there (many are). It is an adjustment.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »
How can they get around safety requirements?
X

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »
I can't wait to get hit by one of these things. Cha ching!

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
How can they get around safety requirements?

The laws were vague, you simply had to have a person in the car.  That's how Google was able to test their cars before the laws were changed in California.  Self driving cars are actually safer then your average driver, so there really isn't a legitimate safety concern.  Also, there is a driver in the car that can take over if they perceive a problem.

This new law will allow 100,000 autonomous vehicles on the road in any of the fifty states.  This will rapidly accelerate testing.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
self driving cars will only succeed if ALL cars are self driving, but self driving cars will struggle to fit in with fucking morons behind the wheel.

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »
The correct name is Government Driven Cars.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
It's a good thing that computer hackers don't exist and all computers and software are 100% secure.  Oh, wait.
Great point.  This probably won't even get thought about until peoples cars start driving off cliffs.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
10-20 years away. Possibly more.

Earlier. The company i work for is doing this and are the leader right now.

Its the map data they are tryjng to get 100%. We could do outside metro 10p% autonomously years ago.  Its yhe city/traffic suburb driving they are trying to sort out which is data related. See above it's sensors combined with data at slow.speed as the sensors make up for errors in the map data.

Inside 5yrs itll be in almost all european cars.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
The correct name is Government Driven Cars.

This but it's even a bigger issue which is the government does not like any form of self sufficiency.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
Is anyone here a huge fan of Unsolved Mysteries - not the redux with Dennis Farina, but the originals with Robert Stack?  I am.  ;D

Does anyone remember the episode about Elizabeth Carmichael and the Dale car?  ;D ;D ;D

:-X

https://zagria.blogspot.ca/2008/03/elizabeth-carmichael-1937.html#.WbI7T8iGPIU

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »

Driving is a colossal waste of time, spent not hitting morons. My time is worth a lot more than that. With a self driving car I can be 100% productive during my commute, so will be able to spend fewer hours at work. A net win for my home life.

Also, the two use cases you describe cover 99% of all trips made. If not actually 99.9%.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »
Driving is a colossal waste of time, spent not hitting morons. My time is worth a lot more than that. With a self driving car I can be 100% productive during my commute, so will be able to spend fewer hours at work. A net win for my home life.

Also, the two use cases you describe cover 99% of all trips made. If not actually 99.9%.

This

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
Audi To Accept Liability In Autonomous Crashes
By Brad Anderson

As semi-autonomous vehicles become more commonplace, many lingering questions still remain about them, none more pertinent than who accepts liability if a self-driving vehicle crashes?

In 2015, Volvo revealed that it would accept full liability if one of its autonomous cars crashed while in a self-driving mode and German rival Audi has just confirmed it will do the same.

During an event in Germany to showcase the level 3 autonomous driving technology of the 2018 A8, Audi’s boss of pre-development or automated driving, Dr Thorsten Leonhardt made the reassuring statement with Car Advice.

“When the function is operated as intended, if the customer turns the traffic jam pilot on and uses it as intended, and the car was in control at the time of the accident, the driver goes to his insurance company and the insurance company will compensate the victims of the accident and in the aftermath they come to us and we have to pay them,” he said.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/audi-to-accept-liability-in-autonomous.html

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Dumbest idea ever.Watch how many people get killed.Especially if a hacker is bored.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
The cause of traffic is, in great part, morons.  Morons not paying attention, morons not letting you merge, going too slow or too fast, causing accidents.  When these are controlled by computers, the cars will be able to go twice as fast as now, cutting commute times in half.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »
The cause of traffic is, in great part, morons.  Morons not paying attention, morons not letting you merge, going too slow or too fast, causing accidents.  When these are controlled by computers, the cars will be able to go twice as fast as now, cutting commute times in half.

I read an interview with the engineer that designed the expansion of the Freeway in Chicago.  he said in theory traffic should always flow but he says people constantly changing lanes and driving stupid causes 1 person to brake which then cascades down.  If the streets were filled with autonomous cars that spoke to each other, traffic jams wouldn't exist.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

it wont be, employers will just turn your commute time into work time. be prepared for the 8-6 american work day