Author Topic: Question for all  (Read 3417 times)

Mtomlin

• Getbig I
Question for all
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
So, here's a Brief layout of me.......(needing some suggestions). I am 41, I work on average 50 hours a week at work, I live n a rural area so I have tons of chores everyday with the kids involved in raising animals for livestock shows and I have my own critters I raise. I recently ( over a 5 month period) dropped about 60 pounds so I'm currently at 210 and 5'10" with I guess what some folks say a medium/large frame. I don't have much time for a gym nor do I know what to do inside of one. I am prior army (infantry) so I do understand sme basic exercise and I do have a small weight set and a cheesy home gym thingy. My question to anyone that would like to respond ( especially if you are a married with children individual) what would type of home routine or diet would you suggest I do so I could maybe bulk up a tad? My diet is poor ( I only eat once a day and it's an all green salad, that's how I lost weight) ??? I will gladly take all suggestions!!!!!
Respectfully,
Mtomlin

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: Question for all
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
To be honest that you are so lost the easiest and cheapest way for you 2 start getting in shape would be do p90x about 4 times all the way through and along the way invest in a set of dumbells a bench and squat rack olympic barbell. I deadlifted over 500 lbs and benched 4 plates a side before I ever belonged to any gym and built a decent build. Read online research training routines and research each individual excersize to make sure you know how to do them correctly. Educate your self

Mtomlin

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
May want to start with baby steps at first, to get accustomed to a structured workout program. Would suggest body weight movements, getting the body ready for more serious stuff over time.. Former military, than should be familiar with the basic push-up, dips, pull-ups, front lunges, jumping squats, etc. Still an excellent way for the average guy to slowly ease into something new.

I'm guessing you live on a semi farm (livestock, etc) and handy with tools and making different things. So you might be able to make some exercise equipment for yourself. Basic wood bench, dip stand, chinning bar, etc. Lot of helpful hints on the internet. Don't know if your an actual farmer, but most farmers know how to weld also. Might even think up some sort of overhead pull devices for back work (replacing the chins/pull-up's), with using either both or one hand pull downs.

For now, might start with some basic exercises suggestions.  General ideas is to start with the larger muscle groups and work doen from there. Only giving 3 basic exercise..after 3-4 weeks, do what you think your ready for. try for 8-10 reps  and 2-3 sets each...3 times a week, if you can.

1...Ladder step ups...really only need a straight or "A" frame ladder and us the highest step/run (try for a full stretch on the legs). All without any help from the hands grip on the ladder, can be only for balance. Can hold a DB in one hand as you get stronger.

2...Chins..medium curl grip. If can't do a full chin , than try negative chins. Stand on a box, etc up to the top position of the chin and slowly lower the body all the way down. That is a negative rep. Negative can do a lot to make you stronger for the regular chins. When you capatle of doing regular chins for a good 8 reps, than switch to them that way. We are all much stronger in negative reps than regular positive reps. And each can have a place in anyone workouts.

3...Dip's..if you have some setup to do them (negatives, like the chins, if you can do them). Push-up's as a second option, but place the feet up higher on a chain, bench, box, etc. Anywhere from 2 to 3 feet raised from the floor. That angle increases the focus on the delts and upper portion of the chest more. Also harder to do, than regular push-ups.

If you want to throw in a few sets of triceps/bicep exercise help yourself.

Good Luck.
F