Author Topic: 5,4,3,2,1 a Getbig challenge for the new year  (Read 41285 times)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: 5,4,3,2,1 a Getbig challenge for the new year
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
Here is a challenge that I am giving my self and anyone else who is interested.
5. Deadlift 5 plates
4. Squat 4 plates
3. Bench 3 plates
2. Clean and Press 2 plates
1. Chin ups/pull ups 12 reps with 1 plate of added weight

IMO anyone that can hit ALL of these numbers is a very strong individual all around and will have the muscle mass to show for it. Not today's IFBB or high level NPC big, but something along the lines of an NFL running back.

Now I know that these numbers are not astounding but for a natural they are pretty damn good.

I know loads of people on gear who can not achieve these lifts.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
I know loads of people on gear who can not achieve these lifts.

Sadly I have seen some cases of this as well. It's usually the ones who train naturally for a month, hop on a cycle and burn out in a year.

Then there are the serious ones. One guy who goes to my gym comes to mind. Was pretty impressive as a natural, very close to those numbers. After a few cycles watched him bench 405 for a single and 405 for 10+ reps  squats.He told me he pulled 6 plates (didn't see it but I believe him). Also seen him easily dunk a basketball at 5'11"-6'0" 230lbs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
5. Deadlift 5 plates
4. Squat 4 plates
3. Bench 3 plates

IMO anyone that can hit ALL of these numbers is a very strong individual all around and will have the muscle mass to show for it. Not today's IFBB or high level NPC big, but something along the lines of an NFL running back.

Now I know that these numbers are not astounding but for a natural they are pretty damn good.

did them all but the bench press could never get pass 305 for whatever reason. and at 63 don't think i'll ever try to do them again.... good luck in your quest.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
#1 can't do. Lol
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »
#1 can't do. Lol
Well you are our big friendly Bear Chaos... i bet you lift plenty on Deads though..

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
Three out of five down. I thought I would get the 405 squat sometime in March but this training cycle has been going real well. Still have the 5 plate deadlift and 2 plate clean and press.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
Three out of five down. I thought I would get the 405 squat sometime in March but this training cycle has been going real well. Still have the 5 plate deadlift and 2 plate clean and press.

Cool videos.
Something wrong with your left arm?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Cool videos.
Something wrong with your left arm?

Thank you.

I can't fully lock out my left elbow, it's been like that my whole life. Doesn't  hurt at all, just a little less ROM compared to my right arm.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
Thank you.

I can't fully lock out my left elbow, it's been like that my whole life. Doesn't  hurt at all, just a little less ROM compared to my right arm.
Saw that on your bench vid. What are your goals now?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
I still have to pull 500 and clean and press 225. So in the short term those are my goals. But i am going to finish this current training cycle.  My goal was to hit a 405 squat and see how close I can get my strict military press to 225. I ended up reaching my squat goal a couple months early so I am going to see how much further I can take it. The strict military press is around  185lbs right now and I would like to get it to at least 205lbs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2015, 06:01:10 AM »
I could never clean and press 225lbs. I would have to jerk the weight over head. How many guys in a gym could clean 225lbs? I will answer my own question with very few.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »
I think a lot of it comes down to form especially with the clean portion. Last time I tried a clean it was back in '09-'10 and with horrific reverse curl type form I manged to muscle up 185lbs.. From what I have seen in even casual Olympic lifting circles a 100kg (225lb) clean and press (not clean and jerk or squat jerk) is fairly common. And these are avergae joes, so I think the reason we don't see this done as much is because the majority of the gym going public has no idea how to do the lifts properly. I know that my form is awful and I am only doing probably half of the weight that I have the strength reserve for.

I think the key for me is going to be working on my form because I think the strength level is already there.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
I should also add that I realized how much more mobility I need in order to perform the oly lifts correctly. It's funny but since I started looking more and more into oly lifting I realized what a real strength athlete looks/moves like. Guys that are 230lbs with the flexibility level of a gymnast, incredible.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:39 AM »
5. Deadlift 5 plates
4. Squat 4 plates
3. Bench 3 plates

I can do 5, 4 and 3 easily. Clean and press 2 plates...Maybe
Chins with plate...Not a chance

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
I should also add that I realized how much more mobility I need in order to perform the oly lifts correctly. It's funny but since I started looking more and more into oly lifting I realized what a real strength athlete looks/moves like. Guys that are 230lbs with the flexibility level of a gymnast, incredible.

I think Olympic lifting is the most difficult to truly master.  I've competed in Oly and power lifting years ago, power lifting was more point A to B while adding in different speeds/loads.  While Olympic lifting literally took years to master a proper C&J or snatch.  There is a ridiculous amount of flexibility required to do these lifts properly.

I've seen guys who can C&J 350 pounds struggle to bench press 300 pounds.  It's all about technique and when i trained for Oly lifting we didn't even do bench press, everything was focused on overhead movements.

After training in a lot of typical gyms the past 5 years or so, I've yet to see anyone do a real squat with 400+ or deadlift over 550.  The highest I've seen someone clean with proper form is 185 and I've seen a guy who is into crossfit snatch 155 with perfect form.  Other than that, just your standard half reppers with 315 with 3 spotters on bench and 1/4 squats with 300+ to appear strong.

Like i said earlier when this thread started, I've achieved these 5 feats as a natural at ~190 pounds, but i had been an athlete my entire life.  A true strict 225 overhead press while standing is quite a feat for anyone IMO.

My favorite thing to do in commercial gyms these days is do 1 arm DB snatches with the heaviest DB's on the rack, which is usually around 125.  People think you have to be really strong to do it, but it's all about technique and really easy for me after years of Oly lifting.  Now, overhead pressing the 125 with strict form would be a task.

Props to Yev for hitting a good goal.  I like how you do your lifts without liftoff, i've always prefered to handle the weight from cradle to the grave.  Good job.

8)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Seeing people squat big weight at several gyms around me... I spotted a dude hit 500lbs ass to grass for 3 the other week there are atleast 6 others I know of there that can do this another dude hit over 700lbs last week I didn't witness it but a lot of people saw it and he told me himself what's weird is its not a hardcore gym has dance classes and Katy perry music while u train best I can do is 315 for 18 reps when I'm fresh and that's not ass to floor just parallel squats some monsters are out here

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
I think Olympic lifting is the most difficult to truly master.  I've competed in Oly and power lifting years ago, power lifting was more point A to B while adding in different speeds/loads.  While Olympic lifting literally took years to master a proper C&J or snatch.  There is a ridiculous amount of flexibility required to do these lifts properly.

I've seen guys who can C&J 350 pounds struggle to bench press 300 pounds.  It's all about technique and when i trained for Oly lifting we didn't even do bench press, everything was focused on overhead movements.

After training in a lot of typical gyms the past 5 years or so, I've yet to see anyone do a real squat with 400+ or deadlift over 550.  The highest I've seen someone clean with proper form is 185 and I've seen a guy who is into crossfit snatch 155 with perfect form.  Other than that, just your standard half reppers with 315 with 3 spotters on bench and 1/4 squats with 300+ to appear strong.

Like i said earlier when this thread started, I've achieved these 5 feats as a natural at ~190 pounds, but i had been an athlete my entire life.  A true strict 225 overhead press while standing is quite a feat for anyone IMO.

My favorite thing to do in commercial gyms these days is do 1 arm DB snatches with the heaviest DB's on the rack, which is usually around 125.  People think you have to be really strong to do it, but it's all about technique and really easy for me after years of Oly lifting.  Now, overhead pressing the 125 with strict form would be a task.

Props to Yev for hitting a good goal.  I like how you do your lifts without liftoff, i've always prefered to handle the weight from cradle to the grave.  Good job.

8)

Thank you. I remember when I started this thread a while back you responding to it. Hearing from someone that has done all 5 gives me that extra push mentally. I have been working on my mobilty for about a month now.

Right now I am trying to reach full ROM on an overhead squat. Working with either a broomstick or an empty bar. It's humbling but slowly I am making progress. I figure that before I fully try the Oly lifts I should at least have the full mobility to them properly.  

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Becoming a good Olympic lifter is like becoming a good boxer, starting at a young age will give a greater advantage.  It's like your grow into the sport, with the body adapting to the time spent. Learning form, balance, timing all very import in either sport. Remembering also that  speed & quickness are two separate things.  Olympic lifting is one of the quickest sports there are. Starting out on Olympic lifting, a wooden dowel (about the same thickness as a bar and about as long) can be used for hundred of reps to get the form and timing down. Advancing to a empty bar. Putting this all together with near perfect technique is the ultimate goal. Also seen pvc and plumbers pipe used.....whatever.

PL'ing requires a shorter distance for the bar to travel. It also is mainly a pushing effort. The DL is pushing, with the feet, off the floor. You only hold the bar in position.  Olympic lifting requires a more athletic approach and is a pushing/pulling effort. With a weight held overhead, a much greater distance is demanded. There  can be a greater level of  confidence developed when overhead lifting is involved.

I've attempted  both sports, and with no doubt in mind, Olympic lifting is the king...from my view point anyway. And the more athletic.  My view again, the best all around exercise, pretty much hitting the whole body is the squat clean & jerk. Can also do those with BB'ing reps for some surprising results in strength and increased muscle mass.

Wish more guys would post like Yez33 does. Setting within reach goals can help others set their own pattern for success.

Good luck

Side Bar:  seen quite a few women clean&jerk 220 plus without that much trouble.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
5. Deadlift 5 plates
4. Squat 4 plates
3. Bench 3 plates

been there done all  that except for bench press , this becomes a lot easier the more you weigh....was a terrible bench presser 305 at 175 lbs bdwt.... pathetic...kid could do over 405 though, must have got it from his mom.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
Seeing people squat big weight at several gyms around me... I spotted a dude hit 500lbs ass to grass for 3 the other week there are atleast 6 others I know of there that can do this another dude hit over 700lbs last week I didn't witness it but a lot of people saw it and he told me himself what's weird is its not a hardcore gym has dance classes and Katy perry music while u train best I can do is 315 for 18 reps when I'm fresh and that's not ass to floor just parallel squats some monsters are out here

For sure, I've trained with guys who could squat 600+ for reps.  It's just very rare.  There are hardcore gyms all over the nation that have some strong people in them, but in the average gym it's rare for me to find someone using really big weights, but i agree they are around.

Training at an Olympic gym was an eye opening experience, seeing 180 pound guys sling weights around that most people couldn't imagine.  Guys doing perfect ass to grass front squats with 400+ pounds for speed reps.  Nothing done for more than 2-3 reps, mainly singles.  It was different, repeat repeat repeat, until perfection.  The setting typically focused and don't act too aggressive.  It's almost like watching a gymnast prepare for an event.  Almost a thing of beauty to see someone snatch 300+ pounds overhead with perfect form and then do it again and again and again, trying to do it faster and better.

Training with world class power lifters was much for intense, they trained like animals, that's how i always trained too.  Snorting ammonia caps and smacking each other before lifts Ronnie Coleman style, screaming, deep intense focus but driven by rage.  Each lift is all or nothing, failure cannot be inside your mind.  Sure perfect form is preached and followed, but when max attempts are on the rack it's balls out, move it from A to B at any cost.  Lots of injuries, many pissed off men on high doses of AAS acting like every lift is their last.  Pretty crazy environment, death metal blaring, guys pacing back and forth like they are about to fight someone.  Seeing guys warm up with my max bench was humbling and i was a strong guy.  Guys using 100-pound plates like 45's on deadlifts; pulling 700+ for triples with perfect form, like a piston in an engine.

Today i train alone at a local commercial gym, i don't even want to train with people.  I just want to listen to music and get in a good workout.  Not much intensity anymore, my joints are fucked.  The flexibility is there and i still do cleans and snatches if there is open room to do them without some idiot standing next to me during the attempt.  I train more like a bodybuilder these days, my strength is nothing like it was, but i feel great and look good.  Most of all I'm healthy.  I know guys who lost a kidney from AAS abuse, I've seen guys break bones and tear ligaments/muscles many times over during lifts.  I'm lucky it wasn't me, i had a few partial tears, but mainly my joints are just worn out.

Yev, when people tell me they understand balance and flexibility, i always ask them to do an overhead squat with just the bar.  Nobody can do it their first try without falling over or dumping the bar, it's quite funny to watch.  But i was there once and started off with a stick for weeks until they let me use a bar.  I didn't do my first good form snatch for 6 months after that, but once i had it down i made improvements fast.  It's funny because i get more endorphin's off a nice snatch or C&J attempt than a heavy squat or deadlift.  I haven't tried a max attempt on anything in 3 years.

Almost 20 years of consistant training.  These days it's all about health and looking good.  most of the guys i competed with in years past don't touch weights and lost everything they had.  Only a few of my friends still lift, it's great to drink beer and talk about the good times in the past.  I'm far from being old, but my glory days are way past me now.

Good luck to everyone and their goals, take it slow and do it right.  Stay smart and injury free.  Most of all enjoy every minute of it.

8)

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
Becoming a good Olympic lifter is like becoming a good boxer, starting at a young age will give a greater advantage.  It's like your grow into the sport, with the body adapting to the time spent. Learning form, balance, timing all very import in either sport. Remembering also that  speed & quickness are two separate things.  Olympic lifting is one of the quickest sports there are. Starting out on Olympic lifting, a wooden dowel (about the same thickness as a bar and about as long) can be used for hundred of reps to get the form and timing down. Advancing to a empty bar. Putting this all together with near perfect technique is the ultimate goal. Also seen pvc and plumbers pipe used.....whatever.

PL'ing requires a shorter distance for the bar to travel. It also is mainly a pushing effort. The DL is pushing, with the feet, off the floor. You only hold the bar in position.  Olympic lifting requires a more athletic approach and is a pushing/pulling effort. With a weight held overhead, a much greater distance is demanded. There  can be a greater level of  confidence developed when overhead lifting is involved.

I've attempted  both sports, and with no doubt in mind, Olympic lifting is the king...from my view point anyway. And the more athletic.  My view again, the best all around exercise, pretty much hitting the whole body is the squat clean & jerk. Can also do those with BB'ing reps for some surprising results in strength and increased muscle mass.

Wish more guys would post like Yez33 does. Setting within reach goals can help others set their own pattern for success.

Good luck

Side Bar:  seen quite a few women clean&jerk 220 plus without that much trouble.

I can definitely see how starting at a young age is a must for Olympic lifting. I am hoping that simply being able to do the lifts correctly will help me in my regular training. I also realized that my mobility for the Olympic lifts has gotten worse  since I began training with weights over ten years ago. I remember my shoulder, hip, and thoracic spine mobility being better. I didn't realize what these meant at the time but I do remember being able to get into certain positions much easier. I didn't miss it doing BB routines so I didn't notice it getting worse. So it really bugs me to lose what I once had because I felt like it wasn't necessary.

For sure, I've trained with guys who could squat 600+ for reps.  It's just very rare.  There are hardcore gyms all over the nation that have some strong people in them, but in the average gym it's rare for me to find someone using really big weights, but i agree they are around.

Training at an Olympic gym was an eye opening experience, seeing 180 pound guys sling weights around that most people couldn't imagine.  Guys doing perfect ass to grass front squats with 400+ pounds for speed reps.  Nothing done for more than 2-3 reps, mainly singles.  It was different, repeat repeat repeat, until perfection.  The setting typically focused and don't act too aggressive.  It's almost like watching a gymnast prepare for an event.  Almost a thing of beauty to see someone snatch 300+ pounds overhead with perfect form and then do it again and again and again, trying to do it faster and better.

Training with world class power lifters was much for intense, they trained like animals, that's how i always trained too.  Snorting ammonia caps and smacking each other before lifts Ronnie Coleman style, screaming, deep intense focus but driven by rage.  Each lift is all or nothing, failure cannot be inside your mind.  Sure perfect form is preached and followed, but when max attempts are on the rack it's balls out, move it from A to B at any cost.  Lots of injuries, many pissed off men on high doses of AAS acting like every lift is their last.  Pretty crazy environment, death metal blaring, guys pacing back and forth like they are about to fight someone.  Seeing guys warm up with my max bench was humbling and i was a strong guy.  Guys using 100-pound plates like 45's on deadlifts; pulling 700+ for triples with perfect form, like a piston in an engine.

Today i train alone at a local commercial gym, i don't even want to train with people.  I just want to listen to music and get in a good workout.  Not much intensity anymore, my joints are fucked.  The flexibility is there and i still do cleans and snatches if there is open room to do them without some idiot standing next to me during the attempt.  I train more like a bodybuilder these days, my strength is nothing like it was, but i feel great and look good.  Most of all I'm healthy.  I know guys who lost a kidney from AAS abuse, I've seen guys break bones and tear ligaments/muscles many times over during lifts.  I'm lucky it wasn't me, i had a few partial tears, but mainly my joints are just worn out.

Yev, when people tell me they understand balance and flexibility, i always ask them to do an overhead squat with just the bar.  Nobody can do it their first try without falling over or dumping the bar, it's quite funny to watch.  But i was there once and started off with a stick for weeks until they let me use a bar.  I didn't do my first good form snatch for 6 months after that, but once i had it down i made improvements fast.  It's funny because i get more endorphin's off a nice snatch or C&J attempt than a heavy squat or deadlift.  I haven't tried a max attempt on anything in 3 years.

Almost 20 years of consistant training.  These days it's all about health and looking good.  most of the guys i competed with in years past don't touch weights and lost everything they had.  Only a few of my friends still lift, it's great to drink beer and talk about the good times in the past.  I'm far from being old, but my glory days are way past me now.

Good luck to everyone and their goals, take it slow and do it right.  Stay smart and injury free.  Most of all enjoy every minute of it.

8)

Those are some great experiences (not the injuries) that you had a chance to go through and see. I have trained by myself the entire time in commercial gyms. Luckily the gym I am at now is technically a commercial gym but hardly anyone goes there. So I really don't have to be deal with too many people.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
I wish i had a local gym that catered to lifters more than family environment.  Living in the middle of Houston has its downfalls, there are no empty gyms unless you train at really odd hours of the day.  I typically try to hit the gym on Sunday morning to do olympic style lifting, i just have to keep it light because they don't have bumper plates and don't like it when you drop weights.  The nearest hardcore gym is about 45 minutes away and they close at 8pm, so it's not optimal for me to travel.

However, my new neighbor just built a really nice gym setup in his garage and he's a crossfit guy, but has a great setup.  If he wasn't so annoying i'd train with him.  I'm trying to work out a deal to train when he's not home.   ;D

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I wish i had a local gym that catered to lifters more than family environment.  Living in the middle of Houston has its downfalls, there are no empty gyms unless you train at really odd hours of the day.  I typically try to hit the gym on Sunday morning to do olympic style lifting, i just have to keep it light because they don't have bumper plates and don't like it when you drop weights.  The nearest hardcore gym is about 45 minutes away and they close at 8pm, so it's not optimal for me to travel.

However, my new neighbor just built a really nice gym setup in his garage and he's a crossfit guy, but has a great setup.  If he wasn't so annoying i'd train with him.  I'm trying to work out a deal to train when he's not home.   ;D

8)
why not invest in your own setup? save the Gym Payments. Power Rack good olympic Bar and weights. OK costs and maybe space is an issue.. still you can do your own thing and listen to your own music.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
why not invest in your own setup? save the Gym Payments. Power Rack good olympic Bar and weights. OK costs and maybe space is an issue.. still you can do your own thing and listen to your own music.

I don't have the room for a real setup and have low ceilings in my spare bedroom, standard lifting would be OK though.  The other option is my garage and i have a car project in there.  I've considered adding onto the back of my garage and building something nice, just not sure how long i'll live in this house.

8)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »

I was surrounded by these no muscle having jaw yappng cross fitters last nights and refused to engage in any convo fitness related with them because my mass towered over them and they were curious and kept talking about squats  I did not oblige them.
8)