Author Topic: Softball  (Read 327368 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Softball
« Reply #475 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »
Eliminated in the semis this year, no 3 peat.

Then, learned via facebook that my buddy (52, runs faster than most 25 year olds, cannon arm, hits the shit out of the ball) is hanging it up after 32 years of softball.

Made me sad.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #476 on: August 07, 2014, 05:02:56 AM »
Played a lob ball tourney on the weekend. Fielding was aces, but batting was mediocre, at best. Had a couple of homers for singles, but was mostly grinding out shit, and even took a walk. Oh, and looked a 3rd strike onto the plate. Ouch. Pitches raining down from 20-25' - farkin' unholy. I guess you get used to it. Another tourney this weekend, but slo-pitch. Then Jays/Brewers on Sunday to see how it's really done.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #477 on: August 07, 2014, 05:51:43 AM »
We call  that unlimited arc down here.  Played in a league like that for 15 years - it's a different swing.  You have to wait until the last second, and the swing "down" on the ball.

I hate it.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #478 on: August 07, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
We call  that unlimited arc down here.  Played in a league like that for 15 years - it's a different swing.  You have to wait until the last second, and the swing "down" on the ball.

I hate it.
Just so crazy it might work. Thanks.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #479 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
Just so crazy it might work. Thanks.

Downswing causes backspin which makes it launch.  Similar to a baseball swing.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
Tourney over. It was a lob ball tourney. Grr. Hit ok, fielding fine. Lost every game. Team won the beer tent, tho. Good times.

Saw the Jays/Tigers game on Sunday. 6 hours, 37 mins for a 6-5 Jays' win. Kinda cool to see a freak game like that, but 12 innings with no beer!? C'mon, now.  ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »
but 12 innings with no beer!? C'mon, now.  ::)

how very un-Canadian
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
how very un-Canadian
Well, I'd guessitmate that only 25% were around to see the finish. Very un-cool. Bad Canucks. Bad.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
Well, I'd guessitmate that only 25% were around to see the finish. Very un-cool. Bad Canucks. Bad.

eh, I routinely talk baseball with one of my co-workers in Toronto.  We both know our respective baseball teams ain't doin' much of anything this year.  No matter how close they appear to be to the second WC....
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #484 on: August 18, 2014, 03:24:57 AM »
eh, I routinely talk baseball with one of my co-workers in Toronto.  We both know our respective baseball teams ain't doin' much of anything this year.  No matter how close they appear to be to the second WC....
So true. But what is baseball without hope?    ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
2 out of 3 elimination:

Won the first on a walk off in extra innings.....

Second, up two in the bottom of the 7th.  Single, single, BOMB.  Lost.

Down 17-2 after 2 in the next.

Season done.

No titles this year.   :(
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #486 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
Qualified for the cities last night.

4-4 a triple and three singles...finally hit the ball hard last night, even the singles were ropes :)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2014, 05:08:01 AM »
Qualified for the cities last night.

4-4 a triple and three singles...finally hit the ball hard last night, even the singles were ropes :)
Nice. Good to hear you're getting your swing back. That *crack* is satisfying. Best of luck!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #488 on: August 22, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
Nice. Good to hear you're getting your swing back. That *crack* is satisfying. Best of luck!

First at bat was the triple....hit the fence on a line, got to third and the whole team was standing and mocking me,
''Whoa who's that who hit the ball out of the infield", ''Hey I'm surprised you know where third was since it's been so long"

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #489 on: August 23, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
First at bat was the triple....hit the fence on a line, got to third and the whole team was standing and mocking me,
''Whoa who's that who hit the ball out of the infield", ''Hey I'm surprised you know where third was since it's been so long"
Yup. Nobody breaks your balls like your own team. I took two (2!) courtesy swings before I got my last hit and you should have heard them.  ;D

/best of luck for the tourney

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #490 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
Season over with a flat 7-5 loss. We're slotted in 'B' for the year-end tourney. Gonna skip that one, and play in a few fun tourneys instead. All in all, not a great season.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #491 on: September 05, 2014, 05:44:53 AM »
Got smoked in the first tourney game :-\
1-2 with a single...two hard hit balls so I can't complain.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #492 on: September 05, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
No pics of hot SEC softball players = fail!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #493 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
Done for the year and glad it's over....terrible hitting this year, don't know if missing all the games cuz of my torn bicep and labrum had something to do with it or not but I stunk.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #494 on: September 09, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
Done for the year and glad it's over....terrible hitting this year, don't know if missing all the games cuz of my torn bicep and labrum had something to do with it or not but I stunk.

Give yourself a pass dude.  You had surgery.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
Give yourself a pass dude.  You had surgery.
Nice, Grape.  x2  What are you thinking!? Just getting back on the field after injuries is aces. Get yourself in fighting shape for next season and have some fun. Swing; total bat speed; recovery. Cheers.   :)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:52 AM »
* Pre-season bump*

Another 4-5 weeks 'til season starts. Sure hope it will be better than last year. That was disappointing. Looking to drop 6-8 lbs of wine Winter weight by game one. You guys get all completely rehabbed over the off-season?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
* Pre-season bump*

Another 4-5 weeks 'til season starts. Sure hope it will be better than last year. That was disappointing. Looking to drop 6-8 lbs of wine Winter weight by game one. You guys get all completely rehabbed over the off-season?

Rehabbing offseason shoulder surgery and torn leg muscles/IT band.   This, combined with coaching AAU baseball this year, makes the grand old game at it's most cloudy for me, in terms of visibility into my participation.  I've probably played 1000 games over the last 20 years.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2015, 07:04:25 AM »
* Pre-season bump*

Staring another round of aggressive therapy in April so hopefully I'll be good to go. lol, and yes dieting myself right now.
new colors for the jerseys this year and for the first time ever getting hats. added a third glove this year. I was in Modells and they had Rawlings {the only glove brand I've ever used} on sale from $70.00 down to $20.00!! pretty sure the sale sign was wrong but I wasn't gonna argue ;)
so now I have my original Rawlings that is awesome but the inside is shredded. the glove I especially ordered from Rawlings that has my initials and # engraved in it ::) which has been my go to glove the last few years and my new one that I'm breaking in.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:40 AM »

Staring another round of aggressive therapy in April so hopefully I'll be good to go. lol, and yes dieting myself right now.
new colors for the jerseys this year and for the first time ever getting hats. added a third glove this year. I was in Modells and they had Rawlings {the only glove brand I've ever used} on sale from $70.00 down to $20.00!! pretty sure the sale sign was wrong but I wasn't gonna argue ;)
so now I have my original Rawlings that is awesome but the inside is shredded. the glove I especially ordered from Rawlings that has my initials and # engraved in it ::) which has been my go to glove the last few years and my new one that I'm breaking in.

I carried my backup glove for a full three years before I finally settled in and made the switch.  Hard to let the old glove go.

Funny thing - I learned that some infielders in baseball skip putting their finger in the pointer slot, then put ring&pinky in the pinky slot.   I tried it for a week, and that's all it took for me to change entirely.  It "extends" the glove AND makes it absolutely pain free when catching the rockets I get in my league.
Y