Author Topic: Ground oatflakes  (Read 3065 times)

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
Ground oatflakes
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:42 AM »
Oatmeal/oatflake is not easy to eat in larger volume... at least for me.
What do you think about grinding it in a coffee grinder, and putting into protein shake (with water)?? It doesn't dissolve well, it's sinking down quickly, so you have to stir it continuously, but anyway, you can DRINK it, instead of eating.
Are there any problems with this?

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: Ground oatflakes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
i put it in a blender with water, ice, solenda, and a lil whey.  blends up pretty good
Valhalla awaits.

Polartec

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:09:25 PM »
What do you think about grinding it in a coffee grinder, and putting into protein shake (with water)??

I did exactly that for about 2 years and it was hell on my digestion (oh, the things I do for bodybuilding ;D)

These days I am using Kashi's "7 Whole Grain Flakes" cereal in my shakes (ground in a food processor) and things are much better in Polartec land.

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:41:53 PM »
this is my protein shake

6 eggs
1 cup oatmeal
8 oz milk
choc syrup

Blend it and pound it. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The General

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 08:53:16 PM »
and that is your breakfast or..... and is it actually barable to do?
bodybuildersreality.com

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »
I have posted umpteen times before; eating raw grains inhibits the absorption of minerals (iron, zinc, calcium, manganese)
Apparently, no one understands what that means or doesn't care 
:

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
Any evidence to back that up?  Jay Cutler eats dry oats.  Says it tastes like sawdust.
The General

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:15:25 AM »
I have posted umpteen times before; eating raw grains inhibits the absorption of minerals.
Apparently, no one understands what that means or doesn't care 

What changes when you cook/bake it? And what about soaking it for a longer time, e.g. a night?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
Any evidence to back that up?  Jay Cutler eats dry oats.  

I'm sure Jay Cutler does a lot of things not in the best interest of health.  ::)

Our bodies have a hard enough time competing with mineral absorption as it is (high fiber, sodium, caffeine, other minerals ...), so it just doesn't make sense to complicate it more.
You can google phytates to learn more.  Phytates aren't all bad ~ there are some benefits to them, but we (those who follow a decent diet) generally get plenty.

What changes when you cook/bake it? And what about soaking it for a longer time, e.g. a night?

Phytic acid is destroyed during baking and cooking and I believe by soaking, but I don't know how long.  That's part of the reason behind the whole sprouted grain thing.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Mineral-Absorption&id=72912
:

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »
Alright, lets not get carried away here.  :o Princess is right, oatmeal DOES contain phytic acid which has been shown to inhibit zinc and sometimes copper absorption. (1,2) On the plus side, new studies coming out suggest that the phytic acid might be more of a contributing factor for the slow blood sugar rise after eating, i.e. glycemic index. (3)

I don’t think these guys in here are eating oatmeal for it’s zinc content.  ::) And so what if it’s blocked, they still have five more meals to go throughout the day to get all the zinc they need, not to mention multi mineral packs.   And if that’s the only way to ingest oatmeal, be it due to time or the taste factor…JUST DO IT! ;)

1.  Dephytinization of a Complementary Food Based on Wheat and Soy Increases Zinc, but Not Copper, Apparent Absorption in Adults1
Ines Egli, Lena Davidsson2, Christophe Zeder, Thomas Walczyk and Richard Hurrell
Laboratory for Human Nutrition.
2.A High Oat-Bran Intake Does Not Impair Zinc Absorption in Humans When Added to a Low-Fiber Animal Protein-Based Diet1
Brittmarie Sandström*2, Susanne Bügel*, Brian A. McGaw , John Price** and Martin D. Reid**

3. NIDDM, Diabetes forum 2005
just not good enough

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 07:55:12 AM »
Thanks, very useful infos!
I'm really unfamiliar in these biological processes and I have never heard about "phytates", but if ONLY the minerals in the raw grain will not be absorbed, that's not a problem. That was not clear. As you said I may get those minerals from other sources. I drink ground oats because it's a slow carb & not necessarily for its health benefits.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:53:33 AM »
Man I LOVE my oatmeal with 2 scoops Vanilla MetRx and maple syrup and raisins.  AWESOME

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
really you can handle 2 scoops in your oatmeal...i tried one once...the only reason why i ate it was because i didnt' want to waste a scoop of protien...do you mix it all then cook it?
bodybuildersreality.com

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »
I don’t think these guys in here are eating oatmeal for it’s zinc content.  ::) And so what if it’s blocked, they still have five more meals to go throughout the day to get all the zinc they need

I did not intend to imply oatmeal or other grains were the (main) source of the minerals inhibited.  Of course they're coming from other sources.  It just doesn't make sense to me to complicate an already poor process.  As I said, {Phytates aren't all bad ~ there are some benefits to them, but we (those who follow a decent diet) generally get plenty}.  Interestingly, the references you cited said
"the results from the present study clearly demonstrate the beneficial effect of dephytinization of a cereal-based complementary food on absorption of zinc in adults" "Phytic acid is a potent inhibitor of iron absorption in adults and absorption may be as low as 2–5% even in iron-deficient subjects. Complete degradation of phytic acid can increase absorption up to fivefold whereas 90% degradation (1% to 0.1%) can increase absorption approximately twofold" "Thus, any reduction in dietary phytate content is likely to result in an improvement in zinc absorption"

Of course, zinc isn't the only issue, but iron, calcium, manganese too.  All of these essential minerals have very poor absorption rates.  Maybe that's why some guys report positive results with ZMA... they were deficient to begin with...

The original question was (and has been asked before) "Are there any problems with this?" [eating raw oats], and I was merely pointing that out.

really you can handle 2 scoops in your oatmeal...i tried one once...the only reason why i ate it was because i didnt' want to waste a scoop of protien...do you mix it all then cook it?

Probably best to add your protein powder after cooking the oatmeal.  Excess cooking denatures protein and reduces its biological value. What is "excess"  ?   ???

Thanks, very useful infos!
I'm really unfamiliar in these biological processes and I have never heard about "phytates", but if ONLY the minerals in the raw grain will not be absorbed, that's not a problem. That was not clear. As you said I may get those minerals from other sources. I drink ground oats because it's a slow carb & not necessarily for its health benefits.
The more processed (ground), the less "slow" (ie; higher GI), but then again, a lot depends on what else is included in the meal.
:

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »
Yea I mix it with the dry oatmeal the night before.  Then all I have to do is put in the water.  Put in microwave for 4 minutes and it gets nice and pufffy and smells the house nice.  Oh I also put a little cinnamon in it too the night before.  Then when done put some maple syrup and some raisins and it is awesome.  Even my daughter loves it.  I never tried to mix it after wards.  That would mean I would have to figure out how much more water to put in