Author Topic: Renting your home. Lesson learned  (Read 8098 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Renting your home. Lesson learned
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 05:34:23 AM »
If you bought a backhoe and had no idea how to run it or service it

would you be a good backhoe owner?
only if you dont give up like pussy mike
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 05:37:52 AM »
Idk Johnny.  He beat a pretty hasty retreat but maybe he's still got a testicle intact somewhere this guy.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »
You guys have got some piece of shit friends.

that's what I was thinking...

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
After letting it sit vacant for a year, I rented my downtown place to an ex-girlfriend. Gave her a rate well below market value...she's a dream tenant.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
Had a similar experience with a lifelong friend, took me nearly 6 months after he left to get back owed rent money and had to replace flooring as it stunk of dogs piss as well as clean the place.
Friends and money rarely ends well

This is exactly why deadbeats want to rent off friends and relatives.
It's a lot tougher to get over on someone who barely knows you and doesn't care about you.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
Good thing I read this cause I was gonna attempt to rent my house on my own.

Do it. Property managers do shit except take your money. They don't pay you when the tenant fails to pay, they don't fix broken shit, they only market it. With Craigslist, there's no reason for it unless you have multiple properties.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
Heard the same thing - mostly pesky people, often destroying things, you have a hard time evicting.
Basically squatters who think you owe them.
Seems the bad outweigh the good ones here... by far.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
Lucky/powerful people's problems...

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
Had a similar experience with a lifelong friend, took me nearly 6 months after he left to get back owed rent money and had to replace flooring as it stunk of dogs piss as well as clean the place.
Friends and money rarely ends well

what about your friends and pussy experiences?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
what about your friends and pussy experiences?

Never been unfortunate enough to be in that situation, would never fuck around with another mans woman, friend or not, strongly believe in not doing to others anything i wouldn't like done to myself

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
This is exactly why deadbeats want to rent off friends and relatives.
It's a lot tougher to get over on someone who barely knows you and doesn't care about you.

Agree, I knew the bloke was a bum and owed rent all over the place to various landlords and thought he would be different due to being lifelong friends, should have known far better

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
Having said this, are you still pounding that bikini competitor?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Having said this, are you still pounding that bikini competitor?

I think he put a ring on that!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:17 PM »
I think he put a ring on that!

Then there might be a future lesson to learn...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
Do it. Property managers do shit except take your money. They don't pay you when the tenant fails to pay, they don't fix broken shit, they only market it. With Craigslist, there's no reason for it unless you have multiple properties.

Could not agree more.  Everyone kept telling me I needed a property manager or they kept asking me who my property manager was. I told them I managed it myself and they were shocked.  How?  From so far away?  What if something goes wrong?

As you noted the property manager does nothing you cannot do yourself.  Again, the key is to screen your tenants carefully.  Obviously, you want someone who will pay on time, but you also want someone who will be low maintenance and not bother you with every little thing.  Although my tenant was an old retiree, he was not helpless and he didn’t bother me with house drama unless it was really warranted.  I made it very clear to him from the beginning that a low maintenance tenant was exactly what I was looking for.  We got along great and he even did things for me that he didn’t have to.

True story: this house is in a gated community and every year a committee of the HOA surveys each house and sends out a notice of “corrective action” if they notice anything wrong with your property.  The CA may indicate that you need to pressure wash your roof (because it is dirty and unsightly), trim your hedges or trees, pull your trash bins into the garage, etc.  Cosmetics are very important to the HOA.  One day I got a notice that the mailbox at the end of my driveway had “developed a bit of rust in the lower left corner.”  The rust had the potential to become “unsightly” and I needed to address that or face sanctions!  I asked my tenant to inspect it for me; I was ready to call my handyman.  My tenant said there was barely any rust there and that the HOA committee had way too much time on their hands.  He said he would take care of it for me and he did; I never had to call my handyman.  That’s the kind of tenant you want.

A final tip: if you are renting the property yourself and get the chance to meet and interview a prospective tenant, when the interview concludes, walk them back to their car.  Surreptitiously view the interior of their car. Is it spic and span clean, or is it filled with junk, trash, and unkept?  The way someone keeps the interior of their car is exactly how they will keep the interior of their home.  If their car is a mess, you would do well to rent to someone else.  :-X

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:30 AM »
I Imagine his fat greasy 270lbs body lying under piss stained sheets, picking threadworms out of his fat scarcely wiped arse and puting them on the bulb of lamp, shit smeared up his bedroom walls from his last Down's syndrome rage

Imagine how many paper towels laden with semen rest under his bed.

Yikes.

Probably smells like a convenience store bathroom.

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »
Could not agree more.  Everyone kept telling me I needed a property manager or they kept asking me who my property manager was. I told them I managed it myself and they were shocked.  How?  From so far away?  What if something goes wrong?

As you noted the property manager does nothing you cannot do yourself.  Again, the key is to screen your tenants carefully.  Obviously, you want someone who will pay on time, but you also want someone who will be low maintenance and not bother you with every little thing.  Although my tenant was an old retiree, he was not helpless and he didn’t bother me with house drama unless it was really warranted.  I made it very clear to him from the beginning that a low maintenance tenant was exactly what I was looking for.  We got along great and he even did things for me that he didn’t have to.

True story: this house is in a gated community and every year a committee of the HOA surveys each house and sends out a notice of “corrective action” if they notice anything wrong with your property.  The CA may indicate that you need to pressure wash your roof (because it is dirty and unsightly), trim your hedges or trees, pull your trash bins into the garage, etc.  Cosmetics are very important to the HOA.  One day I got a notice that the mailbox at the end of my driveway had “developed a bit of rust in the lower left corner.”  The rust had the potential to become “unsightly” and I needed to address that or face sanctions!  I asked my tenant to inspect it for me; I was ready to call my handyman.  My tenant said there was barely any rust there and that the HOA committee had way too much time on their hands.  He said he would take care of it for me and he did; I never had to call my handyman.  That’s the kind of tenant you want.

A final tip: if you are renting the property yourself and get the chance to meet and interview a prospective tenant, when the interview concludes, walk them back to their car.  Surreptitiously view the interior of their car. Is it spic and span clean, or is it filled with junk, trash, and unkept?  The way someone keeps the interior of their car is exactly how they will keep the interior of their home.  If their car is a mess, you would do well to rent to someone else.  :-X

When I was living abroad, I made it a point to thrash each house that I rented. I flooded my first house with water from the shower and the police came because they thought I was growing marijuana and the inside of my last house was overgrown with mould. The whole place was ruined; it resembled a sklugging forest. After that I fled the country, breaking the owner's heart (and bank account). I never paid any security deposit either. I betrayed their trust basically.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 12:51:04 AM »
I have a condo in Houston that I rented to a girl who was recommended by my neighbor.  She worked in a law office, seemed arrow straight, I met her mother.

Two weeks after she moved in she gets hooked on cocaine.  She brought in a number of unfixed tom cats.  She never answered her phone.  Never paid, or she paid with bad checks just below the figure where the district attorney would get involved. (She knew what she was doing)  Her power was turned off several times.  When I finally got her out my old neighbor who convinced me to rent to her wouldn’t talk to me.  The condo association was pissed at me.

Believe it or not I had much better luck with section 8 tenants.  I am renting now to a single mom and her son who fled Georgia to escape her husband.

I get just enough to pay the mortgage and association fees.  Which is good in that at least the weight of the payments are off my hands

Section 8 or government paid handicapped units...thats the smart money.  Uncle Sam usually pays

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »
When I was living abroad, I made it a point to thrash each house that I rented. I flooded my first house with water from the shower and the police came because they thought I was growing marijuana and the inside of my last house was overgrown with mould. The whole place was ruined; it resembled a sklugging forest. After that I fled the country, breaking the owner's heart (and bank account). I never paid any security deposit either. I betrayed their trust basically.

You are a piece of shit

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
You are a piece of shit

I was still paying rent, wasn't I? My money entitled me to do anything I wanted. Screw my landlords. Overfed capitalist swine.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
I was still paying rent, wasn't I? My money entitled me to do anything I wanted. Screw my landlords. Overfed capitalist swine.

Overfed bloodsucker

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
So about 4 months ago I rented out my house in California and moved to Texas.
I bought at the end of 08 so with the market bouncing back slowly I though Habging on to it was the best move.

I had a guy, you could consider him a friend move in wity his girl and new born. (Never rent to someone you know) I thought great the guys clean and had a kid he's got to keep a roof over

Well it's been a horrible horrible experience. Every month when rents due there is some problem, this is broke or that's broke and being 2000 miles away I can't check to see if it's broken or he's trying to scam.

Well I finally had enough and hired a landlord and what happens? The guy freaks out and know won't pay rent due to "mold" in the detached garage that I didn't know existed.

So what's my option? Evicted him. Well that cost 1400 and I'm still not getting paid and the process takes a long time that's if he dosnt try to fight in court. Which he won't win but will end up costing me more.

Moral of the story never rent to someone you know, get a landlord off the bat, never talk to the renter ever and if you don't have a spare 1600 or 1700 bucks a month laying around to pay double rent don't do it.

Live and learn. All this seems like common sense now but hind sight is 20/20

CA is the f'n worst for this. Renter has all the rights. Takes forever to evict 'em, they'll purposefully destroy what's left of it, and you'll never see a penny for backrent or damages. Fuck this state.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Navy Mike, when you own rental properties you need to be relatively close to the homes. You being in Texas and the house in Cali is one of the problems. Also, it is a good idea to run a credit check on future renters. If they have excellent credit (750+) its a potential sign that they are responsible. If you see a bad credit rating then don't rent out to them. I would bet your "friend's" credit was not top notch. And I agree don't rent to friends or family. That never ends well and I know people that had to kick out their own siblings and parents in various situations.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
Agreed craigslist works and run credit checks on future tenants.