Author Topic: Tire experts - need help  (Read 3600 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Tire experts - need help
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »
Getting new tires for my truck, I think they are pulling a fast one.

After several hours, it was determined I needed all 4 replaced. Ok.

Well, the dealer ordered up Yokahamas and said they're the same as I have on now. But my tires say 'General'.  How can these be the same?  Are Yokohamas made in America?

Thanks.

You're getting ripped off.  Yoko's are not the same as General. 
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:21 AM »

You're getting ripped off.  Yoko's are not the same as General. 
So which ones are best Vince?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:39:56 AM »

Although I'm certain most people don't pay attention to such things, even at my advanced age, I'm struggling with how to reconcile having Japanese rubber on my 'big, bad' (lol) American truck. 

Now, I live in a small but growing, semi-rural town in northern California.  Even though we've got a couple of wannabe wigger and hispanic 'gangs'  ::) based out of the local high school, we're a red county and there's a whole lot of good 'ol boys here.  I know it's a new day and age, but where I'm from - the rural South - no good ol' boy ever would've sold me Japanese tires.  If I'd wanted them I would've had to go to 'the city'. 

If it becomes too much to bear, I may take RedMeatKid's advice and just replace the truck.  We've got some great memories, but it's not like I'm married to it the way I was to my Thunderbird. 

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:53 AM »
So did you stick with the Yoko's?

Their a good tire but as you pointed out not American, take them back & get some BFG or Hankooks. I have these on my F-150, great tire a little hard but well worth the 148.00 each I paid for them.
Giving 110%

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
It sounds that you went to Express Tires.  Fucking place is a scam.  Glad they didn't push the Coopers on you.  Next time go to Costco when they have their Michelin sale going on.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
Yeah, Big O used to be cool, but I should've shopped around some more. 

The General Ameritracs rate a lot lower than the Yokohamas on the TireRack site:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=F150+FX4+Super+Crew+4wd&autoModClar=&width=255%2F&ratio=70&diameter=17&x=42&y=12

But I do more driving in the ice and snow (20+ times a year) than off-roading in the desert (once a year). 

Thanks for the help, guys. 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
So did you stick with the Yoko's?

Their a good tire but as you pointed out not American, take them back & get some BFG or Hankooks. I have these on my F-150, great tire a little hard but well worth the 148.00 each I paid for them.
Yoko are FAR superior to Hankooks, Hankooks are not in the same league. I have some high performance Yokos on mine, better than the Hankooks, plus tirerack and other enthusiast's site recommend the Yokos. I just back from outside . And they say "Made in U. S. A." on them. I believe with certain types of tires, like performance ones, Yokohama wants the quality to stay up so they have them made in the US or Japan.

IMHO, Tre may have gotten a way better deal. He needs to check how his previous tire was rated by other people who had the tire (check tire rack or discount tire) vs his new ones.

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
Yoko are FAR superior to Hankooks, Hankooks are not in the same league. I have some high performance Yokos on mine, better than the Hankooks, plus tirerack and other enthusiast's site recommend the Yokos. I just back from outside . And they say "Made in U. S. A." on them. I believe with certain types of tires, like performance ones, Yokohama wants the quality to stay up so they have them made in the US or Japan.

IMHO, Tre may have gotten a way better deal. He needs to check how his previous tire was rated by other people who had the tire (check tire rack or discount tire) vs his new ones.

Don't disagree with anything you said. I perfer Hankooks & Toyos ($ 148-189) each compared to $ 289-310, plus they don't make yoko's in my size.

Plus he's driving a work truck so it should be shoed with BFG's IMO.
Giving 110%

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »

Taking it a step further, I'm running 255/70 R17s, but the manufacturer's guide calls for 275/65 R18s.  How the hell??  That's just not the kind of thing one even looks at when buying a vehicle.  How could I have the wrong wheels?? Bastards!! 

I shouldn't be so cheap when it comes to safety, though.  $150/tire is more than reasonable based on all the prices I've seen since we started this thread, so getting them for $125 plus installation ain't so bad at all...I just have to get over my pro-American stance. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »
 ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Don't disagree with anything you said. I perfer Hankooks & Toyos ($ 148-189) each compared to $ 289-310, plus they don't make yoko's in my size.

Plus he's driving a work truck so it should be shoed with BFG's IMO.
I had first some Hankooks on my IS, they lasted all but 6 mos, they were good qaulity, just didn't last long---I drive "spirited", I then got Falkens from Discount tire, loved them. The Yokos had less road noise than the previous two, far less than the Falkens, and have lasted longer. I also had some Sumis, but only because that was all the shop had in my size---I had straight bald tires on my rear wheels.

Tre, first thing is always know your vehicle, because they will try to pull the wool over your eyes, especially women and certain "types" of men. How they put 17s on your vehicle and you didn't notice the smaller wheel and tire combo, was proof positive. But is this all around or only for the fronts and left the backs the same 18s, giving a "staggered" setup. The 65s are a lower profile than the 70s they put on your truck. And They KNOW this, it's in their computer and it comes up when they punch it in. They felt like giving you the wrong tire, or it was utter incompetence. I'd say take it back and get them to do it again. Speak to a manager, tell them somebody fucked up.

You do know how to read the tire numbers, correct?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
I had first some Hankooks on my IS, they lasted all but 6 mos, they were good qaulity, just didn't last long---I drive "spirited", I then got Falkens from Discount tire, loved them. The Yokos had less road noise than the previous two, far less than the Falkens, and have lasted longer. I also had some Sumis, but only because that was all the shop had in my size---I had straight bald tires on my rear wheels.

Tre, first thing is always know your vehicle, because they will try to pull the wool over your eyes, especially women and certain "types" of men. How they put 17s on your vehicle and you didn't notice the smaller wheel and tire combo, was proof positive. But is this all around or only for the fronts and left the backs the same 18s, giving a "staggered" setup. The 65s are a lower profile than the 70s they put on your truck. And They KNOW this, it's in their computer and it comes up when they punch it in. They felt like giving you the wrong tire, or it was utter incompetence. I'd say take it back and get them to do it again. Speak to a manager, tell them somebody fucked up.

You do know how to read the tire numbers, correct?

True, true, but my bad again - when I bought the *truck* (used, from the Ford dealer), it had the R17s...I just figured they were the right tire.  Didn't even think to verify it.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
Can I get your old tires to start a "gym' with?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »
;D

who the retard with the fat ass

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
And don't listen to Vince, he knows Jack shit about Jack shit. Yokos are world reknowned for their qaulity.

yng466

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
Buy American,
Buy Mickey's ;D
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!