Author Topic: Former champ Chuck Liddell and TapouT's "Mask" set for UFC Hall of Fame inductio  (Read 737 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell and Charles Lewis Jr., the late co-founder of the popular TapouT company, will be the newest inductees into the UFC Hall of Fame.

UFC President Dana White today posted the news on his personal Twitter account.

The UFC Hall of Fame inductions take place this Friday, July 10, at 6:30 p.m. PT (local time) during the UFC Fan Expo at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Liddell and Lewis will join a list of UFC hall-of-famers that currently includes Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Randy Couture and Mark Coleman. Lewis will be the UFC Hall of Fame's first non-fighter inductee.

The 39-year-old Liddell was essentially a no-brainer as a choice for the hall. The MMA superstar is perhaps the most popular fighter in UFC history with a career 21-7 record, which includes a 16-6 mark in the UFC. His 16 wins in the organizations remain a UFC record.

"The Iceman," who turned pro in 1998, made his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 17. He won the UFC's light-heavyweight title in 2005 and made four consecutive title defenses before losing the belt to Quinton Jackson in 2007.

Although UFC President Dana White announced Liddell's retirement following the fighter's knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua back in April, Liddell hasn't ruled out a return to the organization sometime in 2010.

Lewis, meanwhile, enters the hall posthumously. The longtime MMA enthusiast and UFC sponsor died in an automobile accident in California on March 11 when his vehicle was struck by another car.

Two days after the accident, the driver of the second car was charged with multiple felonies, including vehicular manslaughter and his third DUI offense.

Lewis, 45, founded TapouT Clothing Inc. in 1997 with a trunk full of T-shirts and a few thousand dollars of start-up money. Over the past decade, he and his partners have made the company the biggest apparel success story in MMA history.

Tapout, which grossed just $30,000 in sales in 1999, pushed that number to more than $100 million in 2008 alone. The company now has licensed retailers (including the likes of Dillard's and Champs) around the world and is one of the UFC's most prominent sponsors.

Lewis was a fixture at MMA events around the world, and his company sponsored numerous fighters. He also appeared in a TapouT TV show that airs on Versus.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
very cool of dana to induct mask into the hall, the only sad thing for me is march 11 is my birthday and i wasnt in the mood to celebrate my birthday after hearing the news about mask. i met mask and he was a very easy to get along with and didnt act like he was someone with money, when you got done talking to mask you walked away with a re energized attitude towards life. he made everyone feel like they could achieve anything they put thier minds to, he will be missed
R

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Dana White first announced it on his twitter page:

Hey guys Chuck Liddell and Charles "Mask" Lewis will be inducted into the UFC hall of fame at the UFC fan expo this friday at 630pm

From the official announcement on UFC.com:

One was perhaps the greatest light heavyweight of all-time, a feared striker who ruled the 205-pound weight class with an iron right hand and in doing so became mixed martial arts’ first crossover superstar.

The other was his close friend, a visionary who helped create a brand that is now synonymous with the sport, but who did it not with a ruthless business sense, but with an infectious enthusiasm and an attitude that could light up a room.

On Friday, July 10th, the UFC Hall of Fame inducts its two newest members, former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell and TapouT co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis.

Chuck Liddell had this to say:

"I appreciate this gesture and I’m glad that people appreciate what I do and that they think that I deserve this, but I’m just one of the guys that fight out there... It’s gonna be a little rough being that it’s Charles and me, but for us to go in together, I wouldn’t have it any other way."

Chuck Liddell was an obvious choice as he was the face of the promotion for several years. He was a long time UFC light heavyweight champion, MMA's biggest celebrity and the UFC's top draw. Charles "Mask" Lewis was the co-founder of TapouT, one of the most iconic brands in MMA. He passed away in a very tragic accident last March, and will be the first non-fighter to be inducted in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell and Charles "Mask" Lewis will join the cast of MMA legends in the UFC Hall of Fame, which includes, Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie.

The Hall of Fame ceremony will take place on Friday, July 10th at 6:30pm at the UFC Fan Expo.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
To be in the hall of fame, you should have to be a fighter.

Did Mask ever fight?  I think it's bs to put him in there bc he died.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV

is Phil Knight going to be in the NBA or NFL HOF?