Author Topic: I said I would post a video of my next stiff-legged deadlift session...  (Read 5305 times)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
Re: I said I would post a video of my next stiff-legged deadlift session...
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
Incredible strength man. I have never seen anything like that, especially clean.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:53 AM »
holy L-5/ S-1, Batman

how is your lower back doing after those?? looks like u had a little bit too much lumbar flexion during those sldls bro.

Robbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2007, 01:24:36 AM »
Very impressive indeed.  :o

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2007, 01:37:03 AM »
Strong bastard! ;)

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »
holy L-5/ S-1, Batman

how is your lower back doing after those?? looks like u had a little bit too much lumbar flexion during those sldls bro.

My lumbar was just fine in that video.  Really.  Some of the best deadlifters of all time pull in much the same fashion.

Example: http://www.gometal.com/videot/konstantin_deadlift_430.wmv

Open the file, it is safe.  It shows Konstantin Konstantinov pulling an incredible 430 kg (~946 lbs) at 275 lbs in body weight.  He and I pull with a very similar form (albeit he pulls a LOT more).  Bob Peoples also used a very similar form.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 05:22:08 AM »
My lumbar was just fine in that video.  Really.  Some of the best deadlifters of all time pull in much the same fashion.

Open the file, it is safe.  It shows Konstantin Konstantinov pulling an incredible 430 kg (~946 lbs) at 275 lbs in body weight.  He and I pull with a very similar form (albeit he pulls a LOT more).  Bob Peoples also used a very similar form.

Do not open!

It contains muscle bear propaganda!

j/k Mason. ;D

As empty as paradise

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »

good god. :o

incredible lift that last one.

Cee21Jay

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
holy L-5/ S-1, Batman

I agree.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »
good god. :o

incredible lift that last one.

Yes it is!  I think that man and Bolton are the 2 best deadlifters in the world right now and perhaps ever.
w

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
Yes it is!  I think that man and Bolton are the 2 best deadlifters in the world right now and perhaps ever.
Benedikt Magnusson is as good as either one of them.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »
I give props to you lifting that weight, but Jeezus christ your form is horrible.  Provided you had proper form you could easily strap on 50-75lbs for the same reps.  Does anyone on here deadlift?  I can't believe all of the good comments about form.  Your reps are extremely commendable but the form is a backattack waiting to happen.  Your legs hardly move, your back isn't even close to flat and your ass is waaaaay too high.  I am not flaming whatsoever just stating the facts with all honesty.  Congrats on the reps but you have so much more potential with better form.  I hope you take this the right way and don't rip my head off...just trying to help! ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
I give props to you lifting that weight, but Jeezus christ your form is horrible.  Provided you had proper form you could easily strap on 50-75lbs for the same reps.  Does anyone on here deadlift?  I can't believe all of the good comments about form.  Your reps are extremely commendable but the form is a backattack waiting to happen.  Your legs hardly move, your back isn't even close to flat and your ass is waaaaay too high.  I am not flaming whatsoever just stating the facts with all honesty.  Congrats on the reps but you have so much more potential with better form.  I hope you take this the right way and don't rip my head off...just trying to help! ;)
there's really nothing wrong with his "form", if you notice his body stayed in pretty much the same position from the first rep that's the true test of how good or bad his form is, "form" is an individual thing for the most part dependant upon bodytype, leverages, length of arms, legs, torso, etc., it always makes me laugh when a guys body doesn't perform an exercise like a robot people say he's using bad form, everyone's hips pop up a little bit deadlfting, some of the biggest deadlifters of all time have been almost "all back" deadlifters as opposed to guys who dip their legs and squat down into the lift.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
there's really nothing wrong with his "form", if you notice his body stayed in pretty much the same position from the first rep that's the true test of how good or bad his form is, "form" is an individual thing for the most part dependant upon bodytype, leverages, length of arms, legs, torso, etc..

I'm sorry bro' but I disagree.  Form is very specific.  If you look at the video he posted even that guy "sits" into the deadlift and powers up with his legs simulatneously pushing his hips forward and making his back up right.  Bending over doing a good morning style deadlift working your hams is not close to the proper definition of deadlifting.  Search a few vids and you'll see what I mean...

Here's one, shitty video but see how upright his back is...way stronger, better body harmony:

&mode=related&search=

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »
I'm sorry bro' but I disagree.  Form is very specific.  If you look at the video he posted even that guy "sits" into the deadlift and powers up with his legs simulatneously pushing his hips forward and making his back up right.  Bending over doing a good morning style deadlift working your hams is not close to the proper definition of deadlifting.  Search a few vids and you'll see what I mean...

Here's one, shitty video but see how upright his back is...way stronger, better body harmony:

&mode=related&search=

there really is no "proper definition" of deadlifting other than pulling the bar off the floor to a fully locked out position without hitching.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
thats because the guy in the video is doing them sumo which uses alot less back and more hips

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 05:04:17 PM »
Damn good lifting Chris..........as usual I might add  !!

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »
Check out this video of Jouko Ahola...crazy ass Anadrol nose bleeds...

&mode=related&search=

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
that's pretty sick...

I've always done stiff legs on an elevated platform so that I can get full extension, but jesus I'm only pulling 315

maybe I do it that way because I'm a pussy and could never stiff leg that much weight..

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »

Moron, I am doing stiff-legged deadlifts hence my legs are not moving much.

I work with some of the best powerlifters in the world.  I am lucky enough to speak with Louie Simmons personally.  I know something about deadlifting...
w

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »
I give props to you lifting that weight, but Jeezus christ your form is horrible.  Provided you had proper form you could easily strap on 50-75lbs for the same reps.  Does anyone on here deadlift? I can't believe all of the good comments about form.  Your reps are extremely commendable but the form is a backattack waiting to happen.  Your legs hardly move, your back isn't even close to flat and your ass is waaaaay too high.  I am not flaming whatsoever just stating the facts with all honesty.  Congrats on the reps but you have so much more potential with better form.  I hope you take this the right way and don't rip my head off...just trying to help! ;)
Do you deadlift? If so, how much have you pulled? Chris is obviously an extremely experienced deadlifter. He knows the angles where he gets most leverage and power. You aren't talking to a newbie and I doubt he needs your help.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2007, 10:57:09 AM »

nice lift, your form looked much better than konstantinov. his back was rounded much of the time.

shouldn't the head and neck be in line with the back or is it normal for people to put their head down during the lift?

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2007, 11:14:09 AM »
Good lifts!

In my opinion, many...if not most of the 'correct' ways to do an exercise are wrong. 

Biomechanically, there are so many leverage points, and joint angles...especially in a multi-joint movement like the deadlift that a generalized 'form' instruction of "keep your head up" is really pointless.

Unless you're willing to measure the shearing forces, fulcrum, joint angle, distance from the midline of the body, etc., etc. for each vertebrae (taking into consideration a person's natural predisposition to kyphosis or lordosis at each section of the spine), also taking into consideration the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and wrist joints....and doing this for EACH person doing the lift, you can't really be certain of a correct form.

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »
Good lifts!

In my opinion, many...if not most of the 'correct' ways to do an exercise are wrong. 

Biomechanically, there are so many leverage points, and joint angles...especially in a multi-joint movement like the deadlift that a generalized 'form' instruction of "keep your head up" is really pointless.

Unless you're willing to measure the shearing forces, fulcrum, joint angle, distance from the midline of the body, etc., etc. for each vertebrae (taking into consideration a person's natural predisposition to kyphosis or lordosis at each section of the spine), also taking into consideration the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and wrist joints....and doing this for EACH person doing the lift, you can't really be certain of a correct form.

what he said

chris, you better change your style post haste man, the internet gurus have spoken. ;D

what squadfather and troponin said is correct. there is no absolute method to d/lift, just some fundamentals, but it should be obvious that the man knows what he's doing.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »
Good lifts!

on the money...thats why everyone lifts so differently...

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2007, 12:38:17 PM »
chris great lift...

with deadlifts u either can lift or cant
good lifts
choice is an illusion