Author Topic: Question for 240 regarding Obama.  (Read 5385 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Question for 240 regarding Obama.
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
Oh brother.   ::)

LOL I agree

a politicians religious beliefs are irrelevant. They're only pandering. A politicians job is to make appearances. They're going to try to get the most support possible.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
This country was founded on Christian belief. So yes it would make a difference!

Absolute falsehood!

The USA was NOT founded on Christian belief, but Christians have been trying to spread that lie ever since!

This has been debated previously in this forum, ...however for some inexplicable reason, one of the General board mods with an agenda no doubt, sought to delete the post. I'm sure w8tlftr remembers it well tho.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »
...could you be more specific?

I remember a study surveying 200 people with IQs measured above 150 and not a single one of them believed in a higher power of any kind... and none of them were practicing religious traditionalists. Seemingly, only the soft subjects (arts) foster belief in a personal god.

Highly intelligent people who are truly devout in any religion is quite the rarity according to neuroscientists.

The Luke  

More specific in what way? 

"Study" and "200 people" seems a little inconsistent to me.  If you're going to rely on such a small sample to make such sweeping statements, then you should look at the fellows of the Discovery Institute.  I didn't know anything about those folks till loco started talking about them, but they are highly educated, many with science degrees, and many of them not only believe in God, but also believe in "intelligent design."   http://www.discovery.org/fellows/

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
forget about the scientists,

why does a politicians religious belief matter?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »

Politics is a team sport for many.  And you pick your side based on the colors: skin color (the color you are are or want to be), religion, willingness to subsidize corporate greed.

Forget any rational approach to the problems facing the country. It's why we're so fucked.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
this is fucked, such trivial things to pick a president & still no one will be satisfied.

People should change their criteria for presidential candidates. 

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
How many of them believed in bigfoot, chief?

At the moment the evidence is conclusive (just not incontrovertible): fingerprints; hair; footprints; audio; video; consistent foot anatomy; consistent sightings. Fossils were even recovered, just Google: "Gigantopithecus Blacki".

The FBI fingerprint expert Jimmy Chilcut (also one of the worlds pre-eminent primate dematoglyphic experts) has concluded that an unknown primate species is extant in North America... Jane Goodall (the chimp expert) has gone so far as to contend that several primate species and some hominid species remain to be discovered. Academic Dr Grover Krantz openly supported the existance of the North American Sasquatch right up until his death, my friend Dr Henner Fahrenbach has a collection of Sasquatch hairs and Dr Jeffrey Meldrum has written many scientific papers (and a book) on the subject.

In light of the facts that a new gorilla/chimp hybrid species was identified in 2003 (Google: Bili Ape or Bondo Mystery Ape)... that a recently extinct (possibly still extant) hominid species was also identified in 2003 (Google: Hobbit Man or Homo Floresiensis)... that a very recently extinct hominid species (Google: Palau Man) was identified from fossils in 2007... and that 80,000 previously undiscovered lowland gorillas were discovered in Congo only this year...

...it's pretty silly to attempt to disparage someones opinion based on a belief in "Bigfoot".

The Luke

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

People have a hard time doing that little thing called separating church and state.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

Jesus thinks Obama's tax plan is so unfair, he's very disappointed that his Christian soldiers may lose the right to bear assault rifles, and while he's quite tolerant of carousing, divorce, premarital sex, shotgun marriages and their ilk, he absolutely can't stand the notion that homosexuals might marry, or that women might want an abortion as a result of the carousing, divorce, premarital sex or shotgun marriages.

HTH

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
You keep saying this is false, but how can you prove he is not? Do you know what is in his mind and heart? In the koran it say that the can hide their true identities to further their movement. So how is one to know. The fact that the is some suspected ties between him and muslims that is freaky!

TJ, how can I prove that Mccain wasn't brainwashed by the vietnamese?  How can I prove that Palin isn't secretly a member of that cult fringe separist group that her husband belonged to for 10 years?

You cannot prove a negative. 

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

Jesus thinks Obama's tax plan is so unfair, he's very disappointed that his Christian soldiers may lose the right to bear assault rifles, and while he's quite tolerant of carousing, divorce, premarital sex, shotgun marriages and their ilk, he absolutely can't stand the notion that homosexuals might marry, or that women might want an abortion as a result of the carousing, divorce, premarital sex or shotgun marriages.

HTH

Man that post is fucking legendary!  ;D

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
Jesus is NOT a good role model...

He condoned slavery (never spoke out against it despite living in a slavery based society).

The Luke

tjschoenborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »

TJ, how can I prove that Mccain wasn't brainwashed by the vietnamese?  How can I prove that Palin isn't secretly a member of that cult fringe separist group that her husband belonged to for 10 years?

You cannot prove a negative. 

Good point. I my eyes McCain is the lesser of 2 evils.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »
...couldn't provide a scripture refernce, but I'm referring to Jesus comment that "Some of you here present today will see the [end times]" (someone here will find the verse and line)
Jesus was referring to the coming astrological alignment (a "Shenkinah": helical rising of Mercury and Venus on the equinox) that would lead the Jews to rise up in a violent (failed) revolt in 70 AD. This revolt was crushed by Titus and lead to the diaspora.  

Can't say I've heard your version of things there.

Are you talking about verses like:

Matthew 16:28

"I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

???

It's interesting you reference "Shenkinah" (did you mean "Shekinah?")  as the above verse is usually thought to be referring to the "Transfiguration."
Matthew 17:1-5
The Transfiguration
After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him.

She·ki·nah (sh-kn, --, -k-)
n. Judaism
A visible manifestation of the divine presence as described in Jewish theology.

Sorry if that's not the type of verse to which you're referring....

R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

The early church fathers explained this inconsistency by claiming that the apostle Peter survived his own inverted crucifixion and became an immortal wandering prophet. (Cough... bullshit!... cough)

I have to agree w/you that I do not believe this claim (and I don't see how it would explain the interpreted inconsistency in any case).   By "early church" what do you mean?

(sorry mods, I realize you may need to split to relig)
R