Author Topic: Law Enforcement Appreciation  (Read 43524 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Law Enforcement Appreciation
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »
OK  I work with cops and we have NEVER  ever  ever ever heard of this holiday!

Last week was a national memorial week for police, but I'm not aware of any appreciation day

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »
I think it's a regional thing.  Not a holiday. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
Lubbock police officer saves teenager's life
Posted: Mar 03, 2010
By Katie Bauer - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Lubbock Police Officers respond to thousands of calls a week, and most will tell you every day is different. But LPD says one troubled teen owes her life to officer Garret Winters, and his dash cam video captured the dramatic rescue.

"Officers go into work every day and they really don't know what's ahead of them for the day," said Captain Greg Stevens.

Lubbock Police Officer Garret Winters was responding to a call around 5 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. He drove up to the overpass at North Loop 289 and MLK, when he saw a 17-year-old girl sitting on the edge, ready to jump. "There's no way to really appreciate or understand the thought process or that situation without having to actually stand there and face it," said Stevens.

Stevens says Winters took his time and tried to talk to the girl. Winters kept inching closer, even though she was telling him to stay back. Stevens says Winters remaining calm, cool, and collected, only helped the situation. "I don't think any amount of classroom training or even some hands on training can really prepared officers for every single thing that they are going to face," said Stevens.

Once the girl looked away Winters grabbed her arm and yanked her to safety. "Officer Winters did a very good job," said Stevens.

The 17-year-old girl was taken to a hospital and given an evaluation. Officer Winters' quick thinking could qualify him for a lifesaving award.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/12080469/lubbock-police-officer-saves-teenagers-life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »
Dunwoody Police Officer Saves Life Using Defibrillator
Office Dale Laskowski helps save victim, it was the first save made with the AEDs donated to the Dunwoody Police Department
By Peter Cox | February 15, 2011

A Dunwoody police officer saved a 51-year-old’s life last week, with the help of the city’s new portable defibrillators.

Officer Dale Laskowski reported to a call of a person down on Mile Post Drive around 5:45 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 3.

When Laskowski arrived, he found the victim unresponsive and not breathing, according to the Dunwoody Police Department.

Laskowski applied the pads of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) – which were purchased for each officer in the department through local donations –  to the victim and began testing the patient’s signs, police said.

The machine showed no pulse on the victim and that no shock was necessary, so officer began to perform CPR on the victim until the DeKalb County Fire Department arrived.

The victim was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital and made a full recovery, police said.

The defibrillators were gifted to the city through the “Heart of Dunwoody” program, which raised money to put the machines into the hands of each of the city’s police officers. The program was spearheaded by Dunwoody residents Bob and Kathy Lundsten, who helped raise $75,000 for the effort through donations from dozens of individuals and organizations in the area. The devices were given to the city in the fall of 2009.

Each officer has been trained on the machines, as well as in CPR, the department said.

Lundsten shared the good news with the Dunwoody Homeowners Association Sunday night.

“The city of Dunwoody had its first AED save,” Lundsten said, to plenty of applause.

Lundsten noted that the DHA gave  $7,500 of the funds for the program.

http://dunwoody.patch.com/articles/dunwoody-officer-saves-life-using-aed

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
Thank you also to the generous people who provided those things. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »
Thank you also to the generous people who provided those things. 

absolutely!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
Lansing police officer saves children from fire
Lt. Garcia: "That was definitely an act of heroism."
10:36 AM, May. 26, 2011

LANSING - A family with two young children was rescued from the roof of a burning home early this morning.

Lansing police and fire officials responded about 2:20 a.m. to the house in the 500 block of S. Pennsylvania Ave.

Lansing police Officer Nate Osborn was able to pull the boys, ages 1 and 2, from the roof before firefighters arrived, police Lt. Noel Garcia said.

In an interview today, Osborn said he climbed on a front porch railing and, surrounded by smoke, reached up to the roof and the boys’ father handed them to Osborn. Three other officers assisted, he said.

By the time the children were off the roof, firefighters had arrived and used a ladder to rescue the man and his wife.

“It’s the job,” Osborn said. “It’s what we’re paid to do. It’s what any one of us would do in that situation.”

The father, a 29-year-old Lansing man, suffered severe but non-life-threatening burns in the fire, officials said. He was taken to Sparrow Hospital and later airlifted to the burn unit at University of Michigan Hospital. The boys and the man’s wife were not injured.

"That was definitely an act of heroism," said police Lt. Noel Garcia.

The fire is being investigated as suspicious, said Steve Mazurek, a Lansing Fire Department spokesman.

Neighbors reported hearing one loud explosion sometime before the fire.

Mazurek said it is believed the fire started in an attached garage.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110526/NEWS01/105260357/Lansing-police-officer-saves-children-from-fire?odyssey=nav|head

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
Cheshire police officer saves a life
Updated: Thursday, 26 May 2011
Published : Thursday, 26 May 2011

CHESHIRE, Conn. (WTNH) - Just before arriving to a West Main Street nursing home on a medical call, a Cheshire police officer found himself facing another medical emergency head on.

"I saw the car swerving, I thought maybe he was on his cell phone, but he kept coming. I tried to slow down and brake as much as possible," says Officer Lorin Webber.

It was another car that wouldn't stop. The police dash cam shows a collision and officer Webber getting out of his cruiser.

"I noticed the guy was not responsive. I couldn't get his door open and the car was still in drive," says Webber.

It was a dangerous situation that in seconds got worse.

"All of a sudden the guy began to have a seizure, convulsions," says Webber.

The six year veteran decided to take a drastic step, he smashed the passenger window open to get to the victim who was barely breathing out of the car.

Fortunately a paramedic was with him going to the initial call.

"It took two of us, to carry him out of the car. We put him on the ground and another emergency medical crew came and did what they had to do," says Webber.

It started out as a scary moment, but it ends as a heroic one for one of Cheshire's Finest.

Initially I went up to the window expecting to yell at the guy, not knowing he was suffering from a major incident. It was surprising," says Webber.

The driver has been treated and released from the hospital.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/cheshire-police-officer-saves-a-life

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Cops do some pretty amazing things day in and day out. For me, it's just part of the job and get embarrassed about any accollades given. "It's my job" is something most cops just accept and move on. We have the ocassional glory hound who likes to pad his record with commendations and awards but for the most part, cops are just happy with the ocassional "Officer we appreciate what you do" by the people eating at the next table.

Citizens who step outside their comfort zone and step up when others watch are really heros. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when someone steps up to intervene in a purse snatching, or assault, or gets the LP of the car that just left a burglary, or even calls in on a suspicious car in their neighborhood that turns out to be a burglary suspect with stolen items in their car.

We try and take the time to recognize citizens who do this at our Command Staff meetings. The Chief has them come up, reads off what they did and gives them a citation and a handshake. We could not impact crime without the cooperation of the citizens we are charged with protecting. We are slowly moving from the concept that the police will fix your problems to the police can help you fix your problems but we need to work together. Fortunatley we still have citizens who want to improve their neighborhood and city and that helps us tremendously. So thank YOU to those of you who care enough to get involved in your community     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
I wish I lived in your jurisdiction.  Lol.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
Honoring Glen And Fallen Heroes
Ron Mizutani
By Ron Mizutani
Wednesday - May 25, 2011

Breaking ground for the fallen officers memorial last Monday. Ron Mizutani photo

Standing outside the Kalanimoku Building (Beretania and Punchbowl) for the ground breaking of the Hawaii Law Enforcement Memorial last Monday, my mind drifted back to March 4, 2003.

I was in Ewa covering a real estate story when I received a call from a friend on the police force. Multiple shots were fired at Baskin and Robins at Kapolei Shopping Center. An officer was down. Within minutes we arrived at the busy shopping center and paramedics were working frantically to save the policeman’s life.

“It’s Glen,” my buddy whispered. “Gaspar.”

My stomach instantly knotted up and a sick feeling overwhelmed me. The 40-year-old Gaspar was a 12-year veteran of the force, a respected cop on HPD’s elite career criminal unit, a fellow Kamehameha graduate and a loving dad.

We watched as the ambulance raced him to nearby St. Francis West, where he later died. Gaspar was shot by wanted fugitive Shane Mark while attempting to make an arrest. He was the 37th Honolulu police officer killed in the line of duty this century. That number is now at 42.

I snapped out of my brief trance and looked down at the program handed to all guests. The names of 61 law enforcement officers who made the ultimate sacrifice were listed by department, jurisdiction and island, including our friend Glen Gaspar.

I slipped back in time and recalled a conversation I had with several of Glen’s closest friends a few days after the shooting, each rocked by his death. Veteran officer Malcolm Lutu, who attended Kamehameha with Gaspar, called him “the best plainclothes intelligence officer among the rest of us.” Big Michael Cusumano added, “He served, he protected and he knew what he was doing.

We’re not in denial - anyone of us could’ve been there.”

The fact is too many of our law enforcement officers have “been there.” The memorial is long overdue and when completed, it will be a wonderful tribute to the men and women who have died in the line of duty and a warm place for surviving family members and friends to visit.

Gaspar often participated in the annual Law Enforcement Canoe Regatta. The event features dozens of races, pitting different departments and agencies against each other. It’s a fun day, but make no mistake about it, the officers who compete do so at a high level.

Glen was one of them. I’ve been asked to compete with HPD’s team at the regatta over the years and I’ve enjoyed the brotherhood and sisterhood under their tent. There was always a special bond with this group, that bond strengthened after Gaspar’s death.

Team members proudly wear a jersey that pays tribute to the fallen officer.

It’s nothing fancy. It simply reads “Team Glen” on the back of the jersey.

I can’t tell you how proud I was the first time I was handed one of these jerseys knowing what it symbolized. It gives me chicken skin just thinking about it.

I’m team-mates at Kailua Canoe Club with several of these police officers who proudly serve and protect our community, and continue to honor Glen every year. And like Glen, they too have children, who they say goodbye to everyday, knowing the dangers of their job.

Glen’s daughters were his world. I remember his good friend and fellow officer Kevin Nakano once told me, “Glen was always telling his daughters how much he loved them and how much he missed them. He would always say, ‘Don’t worry, Dad’s going to be home for dinner.”

We must never forget. A memorial honoring our fallen heroes is a good start. The Hawaii Law Enforcement Memorial Foundation still needs to raise $900,000 to build the $1.1 million memorial. For more information on how you can help, go to http://www.hlemf.org or call 330-7744.

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/currents_article/honoring_glen_and_fallen_heroes/

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »
I think it's a regional thing.  Not a holiday. 
My regards to the Winchell's Donuts in that area!
((-::

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
So far, every single one of these cop stories has nothing to do with crime... That's awesome.

These cops could just be paramedics or EMTs.

1/2 of them are because a paramedic was on the scene or something cool like a defibrillator was available (which doesn't take a badge to work)

So when does someone protect someone because of crime?

PS... The fact that Beach even had to quote me (and it's hardly the first time) shows how much he thinks about me.

How much rent do I owe you for this month Beach?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
So far, every single one of these cop stories has nothing to do with crime... That's awesome.

These cops could just be paramedics or EMTs.

1/2 of them are because a paramedic was on the scene or something cool like a defibrillator was available (which doesn't take a badge to work)

So when does someone protect someone because of crime?

PS... The fact that Beach even had to quote me (and it's hardly the first time) shows how much he thinks about me.

How much rent do I owe you for this much Beach?

That's really funny.   ;D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
I wish I lived in your jurisdiction.  Lol.

I wish you did too. We have citizens who were transplanted from Katrina as well as people from all walks of life and experiences moving here on a regular basis. It's amusing to watch at some council meetings where the usual complainers who make their lively hood complaining about the cops (NAACP, ACLU) talk about how awful the city police are. Then the folks from New Orleans, Houston, and a few other places get up and rant and rave about how they've never been called sir or ma'am by an officer before moving here. How when they are stopped for a traffic violation they don't feel like they have to put both hands out of the window to avoid being shot. They'll tell the other folks that they need to spend a year in Houston to fully appreciate the professionalism of the police here and that they are lucky to have us.

What I've learned over the years at this department is that

#1. There is a small percentage of police officers who shouldn't be police officers. Eventually they are found out and weeded out. Much of the time it is by police officers. In fact upwards of 70% of police misconduct complaints received by the Police Monitors office or Internal Affairs originates with police officers.

#2. There is a small percentage of the public who will NEVER trust the police no matter what. For some it is in their best interest to dislike them. These are the "leaders" of the anti police groups who without the existence of real or percieved racisim, discrimination etc wouldn't be employed. For others, much like learning about Jesus, or Allah as a child from their family, they learn to hate or distrust the po po. I've seen 6 yr olds with attitude. Others truly have had bad experiences with some bad cops and paint us all with the same broad brush but get their feathers in a ruffle if we were to do the same.

Fortunatley the large majority of the population, at least here, like and respect us because we earn their respect and work hard to keep it. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »
Officer Saves Driver from Burning Vehicle After Police Pursuit
Posted by Chris Andrus on May 26, 2011

Riverhead, NY (SmithtownRadio.com) – Suffolk County Police have arrested a Mastic man who led police on a seven-mile pursuit and needed rescue after crashing his vehicle into a wooded area in Riverhead.

Seventh Precinct Officer Scott Jensen observed a 1999 Chrysler Concord traveling northbound on County Road 51 in Eastport in an erratic manner and attempted to initiate a traffic stop at approximately 11:15 p.m. last evening. The driver of the Chrysler, Jason Martin, accelerated and led the officer on a pursuit that covered approximately seven miles and lasted approximately five minutes.

At the end of the pursuit, Martin lost control of his vehicle and crossed over the median divider several times before crashing into the wooded area on the east side of County Road 51, causing the vehicle to catch fire. With the driver side door pinned against a tree, Martin needed to be rescued by Officer Jensen, who pulled Martin out of the vehicle via the passenger side door. Martin was then transported by ambulance to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. Officer Jensen was not injured in the pursuit or rescue operations.

Martin, 29, of 146 Madison Ave., Mastic, was arrested and charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Vehicle and Unlawful Fleeing of a Police Officer.

http://www.smithtownradio.com/2011/05/26/1208/officer-saves-driver-from-burning-vehicle-after-police-pursuit/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Police say 'very heroic' man saves Bay City driver's life by pulling her from burning car after crash
Published: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 8:15 PM     Updated: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 10:24 PM
Tom Gilchrist | The Saginaw News By Tom Gilchrist

FREELAND — Police said a 22-year-old Troy man saved a Bay City woman’s life by pulling her from her burning car here Tuesday afternoon after her vehicle caught fire when it slammed into the back of a pickup truck.

Ryan Hunt, 2155 Lakeside in Troy, rescued 28-year-old Jessica R. Dore following the 5:46 p.m. crash at Tittabawassee and River, according to Tittabawassee Township Police Department Officer Brian J. Berg.

“What he did was very heroic,” Berg said. “The car was on fire, (Dore) was unresponsive and he opened the door and pulled her out.

“I told (Hunt) I was going to nominate him for a lifesaving award, and he said ‘Oh, thanks,’” Berg said. “He’s a modest kid.”

Berg said a Cadillac driven by Dore, 7324 Blake in Bay City, caught fire after her car rear-ended a Ford pickup truck driven by 28-year-old Ryan K. Arsenault of 109 Center Ave., Apt. 9, also in Bay City.

The officer said Arsenault’s truck, facing west on Tittabawassee, was stopped at a stop sign at River when Dore experienced a “medical issue” causing her to rear-end the truck at about 40 mph.

Berg said a doctor who spoke with Dore following the crash told him Dore could have been experiencing problems with her blood-sugar level.

Hunt was in an eastbound vehicle also stopped at the four-way stop at the intersection of Tittabawassee and River, police said, when he noticed the crash and came to Dore’s aid.

Dore and Arsenault both suffered minor injuries and were taken by ambulance to Covenant Medical Center’s Cooper Campus in Saginaw, police said.

Firefighters from the Tittabawassee Township and Thomas Township departments responded to the scene, extinguishing the blaze and keeping it from re-igniting.

The Thomas Township Police Department also assisted at the scene.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2011/05/police_say_very_heroic_man_sav.html

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
That's the best one yet... It was a regular citizen... Not even a cop.

HAHA!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
That's the best one yet... It was a regular citizen... Not even a cop.

HAHA!

Wow.  Brilliant observation.  lol . . . .

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »
Wow.  Brilliant observation.  lol . . . .

Shows how hard up you are looking for "law enforcement appreciation"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »

lol.   :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

You seem to infer there is a lack of examples of officers doing good things. Most of the time it's just expected. But the cool ones, that never make the paper are the little things. In all the time I've worked the street I've probably changed 25 tires for the elderly or females stranded on the side of the road. Many of those times it was with a bullet proof vest on in 100 degree Texas heat. Or the countless times people who are lost pull up and ask directions and instead of just telling them how to find the place, I tell them to follow me and take them there. About every other meal someone will come up and ask a legal question or advice on a problem they have with their neighbor.

You have already dismissed the fact we catch bank robbers, burglars, rapists, muggers and killers in the act, or leaving the act so I'm just giving you examples of what we do for the public that never makes the paper nor should it.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
You seem to infer there is a lack of examples of officers doing good things. Most of the time it's just expected. But the cool ones, that never make the paper are the little things. In all the time I've worked the street I've probably changed 25 tires for the elderly or females stranded on the side of the road. Many of those times it was with a bullet proof vest on in 100 degree Texas heat. Or the countless times people who are lost pull up and ask directions and instead of just telling them how to find the place, I tell them to follow me and take them there. About every other meal someone will come up and ask a legal question or advice on a problem they have with their neighbor.

You have already dismissed the fact we catch bank robbers, burglars, rapists, muggers and killers in the act, or leaving the act so I'm just giving you examples of what we do for the public that never makes the paper nor should it.

You catch them? When does this happen? After they already raped, killed, or mugged someone?

Thanks for being there to write a report and get those bad guys months if not years.

Go team!

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
You catch them? When does this happen? After they already raped, killed, or mugged someone?

Thanks for being there to write a report and get those bad guys months if not years.

Go team!

Did you attempt to be a cop at one time and couldn't cut it?  Is that why you're so bitter?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »

Did you attempt to be a cop at one time and couldn't cut it?  Is that why you're so bitter?

Nope... got smart.