Author Topic: Law Enforcement Appreciation  (Read 43525 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Law Enforcement Appreciation
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 05:11:28 AM »
You seem to infer there is a lack of examples of officers doing good things. Most of the time it's just expected. But the cool ones, that never make the paper are the little things. In all the time I've worked the street I've probably changed 25 tires for the elderly or females stranded on the side of the road. Many of those times it was with a bullet proof vest on in 100 degree Texas heat. Or the countless times people who are lost pull up and ask directions and instead of just telling them how to find the place, I tell them to follow me and take them there. About every other meal someone will come up and ask a legal question or advice on a problem they have with their neighbor.

You have already dismissed the fact we catch bank robbers, burglars, rapists, muggers and killers in the act, or leaving the act so I'm just giving you examples of what we do for the public that never makes the paper nor should it.

Why don't you put Timothy Geithner is jail then?, hmm?
I hate the State.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
Why don't you put Timothy Geithner is jail then?, hmm?

He doesn't reside in my jurisdiction  ::)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »
You catch them? When does this happen? After they already raped, killed, or mugged someone?

Thanks for being there to write a report and get those bad guys months if not years.

Go team!

The below is just one example. Suspect had fired shots at his girlfriend, had led police on a pursuit, was about to carjack some innocent citizens who happened to cross his path, had them at gunpoint when the officer took the shot. So yeah, we catch them...

By Claudia Grisales | Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 01:15 PM

Austin police and city officials this morning awarded Cpl. Javier Bustos, who wounded an armed man following a September police pursuit, the medal of valor, a departmental recognition used to honor courage displayed while on the duty.

On Sept. 25, Bustos shot Pat Allen Faith in the shoulder when Faith raised his gun at other drivers in Southeast Austin following a high-speed chase with police, officials have said. Faith then shot and killed himself, police said.

“What was displayed that day was true bravery,” Police Chief Art Acevedo said before presenting the award to Bustos with Mayor Lee Leffingwell at his side. “Cpl. Bustos did what we trained him to do.”

The award comes days after former Travis County Sheriff Margo Frasier, in her first review as the newly installed police monitor, criticized certain actions of officers and raised concerns about a series of communication failures among 911 operators connected to the September incident.

Acevedo has said his department continues to review the events of that night, while Sgt. Wayne Vincent, president of the Austin police union, has described Frasier’s comments as unreasonable “second-guessing.”

In her memo, Frasier agreed that Bustos appropriately used deadly force.

On Wednesday, Bustos expressed gratitude for the honor, following a standing ovation from dozens of fellow officers, family and friends who attended the event at a police training center in Southeast Austin.

“If I could take this medal and break it into little pieces, I would give it to the people involved that night” along with those who trained me, Bustos said upon receiving the award. “Those officers involved that night, those are my heroes.”

Note: This story has been edited to correctly attribute a quote to Sgt. Wayne Vincent, president of the Austin police union.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
I would also like to make mention that not ONCE has a cop ever changed a tire for anyone I know... I remember when I was about 13 that a cop rode up on my mother when she had a tire issue... He looked at her... looked at the tire and drove off.

If you've changed tires for people, I can almost guarantee you are in the minority.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
I would also like to make mention that not ONCE has a cop ever changed a tire for anyone I know... I remember when I was about 13 that a cop rode up on my mother when she had a tire issue... He looked at her... looked at the tire and drove off.

If you've changed tires for people, I can almost guarantee you are in the minority.

How many people do you know? Of those people how many times have you asked them if a cop changed a tire for them?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
How many people do you know? Of those people how many times have you asked them if a cop changed a tire for them?

Personally... many many many hundreds.

I'm sure that in conversations we've all had, that the discussion of police and what they've done for individuals has come up... No one has ever mentioned "Well, that one time a cop changed a tire for me"

You've said you have been on the force for over 20 years right?

So you average changing a little over a tire a year?

That's commendable... I would ask around to your coworkers and see what their number is.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

I'm sure that in conversations we've all had, that the discussion of police and what they've done for individuals has come up... No one has ever mentioned "Well, that one time a cop changed a tire for me"

That's commendable... I would ask around to your coworkers and see what their number is.

Renegade Shepard FTW  ;)
I hate the State.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »

I've worked back office as a Detective for some of that time. Back in the day there were no cell phones and stranded people literally relied on either strangers kindness or cops who cared. I think now adays most people as well as cops tend to assume they've called someone or a tow service. But I know of cops who recently have helped people change a tire. But being honest i know of cops who wouldn't do it with a gun pointed to their heads.     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »

I've seen them on the road helping people having car trouble countless times.  Saw one this week. 

You really must live in a Michael Jackson bubble.   :)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
I've seen them on the road helping people having car trouble countless times.  Saw one this week. 

You really must live in a Michael Jackson bubble.   :)

Please. That's twice you've used that analogy. This time was just as ignorant as the first.

Even agnostic admits that he knows cops that refuse to do it.

If anyone is living in a bubble. It's you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Please. That's twice you've used that analogy. This time was just as ignorant as the first.

Even agnostic admits that he knows cops that refuse to do it.

If anyone is living in a bubble. It's you.

I used it twice?  I must be slipping.   :)  Hey if the shoe fits. 

I'm sure there are cops that refuse to do it.  But there are plenty who do it.  I've seen them, more times than I can count. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
I used it twice?  I must be slipping.   :)  Hey if the shoe fits. 

I'm sure there are cops that refuse to do it.  But there are plenty who do it.  I've seen them, more times than I can count. 

Oh, I'm sure you can count higher than 2 or 3... don't sell yourself short. Just a little effort and I bet you can even get to four or five.

;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:30 AM »
Riverside officer dies after lightning strike in Joplin

Jeff Taylor
More News
KCTV5 Weather | Hot and getting hotter
Missing woman sought
Sam’s Club in Grandview open after fire
Kansas City woman’s death called suspicious
Boy, 2, drowns in bathtub
KCK fire damages vacant house
Missouri River closed to recreational boating
Feds seize elderberry juice from Kansas winery
Jurors unanimously rejected genocide in Topeka man's trial
Missouri police chief in hospital after meth exposure
Brownback signs Kansas storm declaration
Second suspect charged in deadly home invasion robbery in KC
Kansas officials assess flood, storm damage
No explosives found at home where man shot at KC police
Kansas-Missouri at Arrowhead to kick off at 11 a.m.
Wreck snarls traffic on I-70 near downtown
State awards $549 million to KC-area road projects
Riverside officer dies after lightning strike in Joplin
Man dies of traumatic injuries, but not from bar fight, KC police say
KCTV 5 Weather | Hot and muggy weekend
The Riverside police officer struck by lightning while helping with the Joplin tornado died this morning at a Springfield hospital.

Jefferson “Jeff” Taylor, who volunteered to go to Joplin, was 31 years old. He is the first Riverside officer ever to die in the line of duty.

“We are heartbroken,” Riverside Police Chief Greg Mills said today in a statement. “Our department, our community and law enforcement as a whole have lost a dedicated professional doing what he did best — helping those who were in need. The fragility of life gives way to the enduring spirit Jeff showed to us all. Our department will never be the same.”

Taylor was one of a dozen emergency responders from Riverside to rush to Joplin after the tornado hit May 22.

The following day, as thunderstorms moved through the area, lightning struck the ground near where he was working.

Public safety officers performed CPR and stabilized him at the scene. Taylor later underwent successful skin graft surgery and was being treated for other complications when he died at 9:25 a.m. at St. John’s Hospital.

Family members were at his side.

Riverside police officials say Taylor joined the department in 2005 and held the rank of master patrolman. He was the department’s Officer of the Year in 2008.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

New York deputy sheriff killed, wife goes into labor
reuteurs ^ | Jun 7, 2011 | Reuters
Posted on June 7, 2011 8:43:38 PM EDT by Flavius

A deputy sheriff in upstate New York was fatally shot while trying to calm a man attempting suicide, and his death prompted his wife to go into labor on Tuesday with their second child, authorities said.

(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com ...

Damn. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
Traffic cop saves 71-year-old woman's life
3:29 PM, Jun 7, 2011
Written by
Jeffrey Wolf

WESTMINSTER - A woman's encounter with a traffic officer saved her life on Tuesday.

Westminster Police say Officer Bret Koester was looking for traffic violators near 120th Avenue and Huron Street when people at a nearby restaurant called 911 because a woman there was choking.

The 71-year-old woman went into the bathroom and that is when the food got stuck in her throat.

Koester and another officer went to the restaurant and found the woman in the bathroom after she had lost consciousness. Koester performed the Heimlich maneuver and then started CPR while waiting for paramedics.

When they arrived, the woman had started breathing again and had a pulse.

She was taken to a local hospital and Koester went back to work.

Anyone who wants to learn more about the Heimlich or what to do if you're alone and start to choke can visit http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-choking/FA00025.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/202245/346/Traffic-cop-saves-71-year-old-womans-life-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|t

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
Police Officer Saves Baby From Choking
8-Month-Old Chokes On Plastic Fish Toy
POSTED: 12:45 pm EDT June 9, 2011

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- A Port St. Lucie police officer is being credited with saving an infant from choking to death.

Port St. Lucie police said Officer John Fazio was called to a Southeast Cavern Avenue home Wednesday night and arrived to find a mother and her 8-month-old child in the front yard.

Police said the child was apparently choking, so Fazio put his fingers down the boy's throat to clear his airway. Police said he eventually used forceps to remove a plastic toy fish from the boy's throat.

This is not the first time Fazio has been credited with saving the life of a child. In January, police said Fazio assisted in resuscitating a 16-month-old who nearly drowned in a pool.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/28183825/detail.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
2011 National Day of Prayer
May 31, 2011 By Chelsea_Spencer

We’d like to invite you to participate in the National Day of Prayer for Law Enforcement Officers on Friday, June 17. To date (June 7), 80 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty in this country in 2011. That means there are 80 sets of families, friends, and coworkers who have been left in grief and sadness. To honor these heroes, we are asking people of all faiths and all walks of life to come together and pray for the officers still working the streets.

As law enforcement family members, we pray every day that our officers return home safely. We cry at the news of another fallen officer. And, we reach out to the law enforcement community around us for support and reassurance. Now we are asking the community around us to do the same. Please make a commitment to support your law enforcement officers and their families. Please set aside some time on Friday, June 17 to stand united in prayer for our men and women in blue. Please spread word of this campaign to your family, friends, coworkers, and places of worship.

If you can, schedule a time to come together at your city hall, a local park, or your place of worship and pray together. Raise your voice to lift up our heroes in prayer. Give your time to help strengthen the law enforcement community and ask that each officers comes home safely each day. Show our officers that you appreciate the sacrifices they make to protect and serve you and your family.

http://www.wivesbehindthebadge.org/events/2011-national-day-of-prayer/

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:41 AM »
As many on here know, my sister is a cop.  She has been on the force going on 16 years now.  She has been shot three times and has an artificial knee because of getting run over by a drunk driver trying to flee in reverse after she pulled him over.

Guess what?

IT AIN'T HER FUCKING JOB TO CHANGE A FUCKING FLAT TIRE.  SHE DOESN'T GET PAID FOR THAT SHIT.  THAT IS WHAT THE FUCKING ROAD RANGER PUBLIC SERVICE IS FOR.

If you are equating changing a fucking tire with the police in doing their job you are just full of shit then.  90% of cops are good people overall.  There are bad apples, but you are going to find bad apples in every profession.  Doctors, nurses, teachers, astronauts, military, call center, etc..  every profession out there has bad apples in it.

My sister has done more good than harm.  Likewise her fellow officers that report to her.  I can't tell you the number of scholarships and life opportunities she has saved people because of making judgement calls in the field in their favor instead of just being a hard ass and just arresting them.

roccoginge

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »

I've had a few cops help me, after searching me and my car!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
I've had a few cops help me, after searching me and my car!

See? We are helpful!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
As many on here know, my sister is a cop.  She has been on the force going on 16 years now.  She has been shot three times and has an artificial knee because of getting run over by a drunk driver trying to flee in reverse after she pulled him over.

Guess what?

IT AIN'T HER FUCKING JOB TO CHANGE A FUCKING FLAT TIRE.  SHE DOESN'T GET PAID FOR THAT SHIT.  THAT IS WHAT THE FUCKING ROAD RANGER PUBLIC SERVICE IS FOR.

If you are equating changing a fucking tire with the police in doing their job you are just full of shit then.  90% of cops are good people overall.  There are bad apples, but you are going to find bad apples in every profession.  Doctors, nurses, teachers, astronauts, military, call center, etc..  every profession out there has bad apples in it.

My sister has done more good than harm.  Likewise her fellow officers that report to her.  I can't tell you the number of scholarships and life opportunities she has saved people because of making judgement calls in the field in their favor instead of just being a hard ass and just arresting them.

Did she or did she not choose that job?

Sorry dude... but I've had friends who are cops who were killed in the line of duty by their own damn fault.

I'm sure your sister is a fine person, but if you are a cop, well, I guess you gotta take the job with the job right?

What does she get paid to do then? Hassle John Q public?

I seriously have no idea why I even respond to this thread anymore... I think our tally on people who like cops vs. people who don't is about 5 to 30 in the threads going on about the Po-Po right now.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2011, 06:12:39 AM »
Of course she chose that job.  But changing fucking flat tires is not in her job description.  Her job description is to serve and protect the public through the enforcement of laws.  That is what she gets paid to do.  Since when is having a flat tire breaking a law?  If that is in her job duties then why stop there?  Let's call the police every time we need a movie taken back to Blockbuster before we get hit with a late fee.  What about that?

People that fucking cry and whine about the cops are going to do so regardless.  You are making a big deal about changing a flat tire, but I gurantee you that if you started seeing cops out on the road changing tires you would just start crying about them doing that and not out stopping crime somewhere.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »
Did she or did she not choose that job?

Sorry dude... but I've had friends who are cops who were killed in the line of duty by their own damn fault. No, you haven't. You're simply made that up

I'm sure your sister is a fine person, but if you are a cop, well, I guess you gotta take the job with the job right?

What does she get paid to do then? Hassle John Q public?

I seriously have no idea why I even respond to this thread anymore... I think our tally on people who like cops vs. people who don't is about 5 to 30 in the threads going on about the Po-Po right now.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »

Bullshit... I'm not making anything up.

I have a former State Police officer (who was a real friend) who was killed in the line of duty because THEY pulled someone over and then stepped out of their car into oncoming traffic.

So tell me I'm lying again?

This is the problem right here... As a cop, you are instantly saying that everyone is lying but you... My word is JUST as valid as yours even though I don't carry a badge, and it's probably MORE valid than 1/2 of your co-workers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
No one disputes the individual acts of heroism and good deeds individuals make.  that's not the issue IMHO, its the overall militarization and tactics and stanc the police departments as a whole take in this country.