Author Topic: Law Enforcement Appreciation  (Read 43530 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Law Enforcement Appreciation
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
In this day and age...yes officer and no sir go along way. Not moving before they get to ur car helps. When I carry I place both hands on the wheel until I'm sure the cop won't shoot me. If ur not a dick u'll be fine. Or u have big tits..bench do u have big tits... :D
nah,just a badge.and to be honest the only reason i inform them i am a cop is because i have a loaded weapon either on me or in the vehicle.i couldnt care less if they wrote me the ticket or not.

i hate writing citations,it is the worst part of my job i usually go on duty the first day of the month write a shitload of citation and the rest of the month i do actual police work,not this pussy ass traffic bullshit.

bench

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
I didn't realize u were a cop. Go easy man, tough job. Where at, if u don't mind me asking.
L

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
I didn't realize u were a cop. Go easy man, tough job. Where at, if u don't mind me asking.
texas.i have only been a cop for about 8 months before that i was with a certain federal agency that i no longer have anything to do with.

bench

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 12:01:16 PM »
I got my bag searched the other day(random subway searches) and the officer was very nice about it and said "thank you". All I did was open up my backpack.

The problem is that most people getting into trouble over small matters are rude little assholes that think they're tough guys by showing a little cheek to law enforcement officers. I've never had any trouble with cops, yet I run into people here and IRL who say cops are the worst. Personally, I'm able to sleep at night knowing that there are people out there willing to do such a service profession and keep the rest of us safe.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
Bump.   :)

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 03:44:48 AM »
I got my bag searched the other day(random subway searches) and the officer was very nice about it and said "thank you". All I did was open up my backpack.

The problem is that most people getting into trouble over small matters are rude little assholes that think they're tough guys by showing a little cheek to law enforcement officers. I've never had any trouble with cops, yet I run into people here and IRL who say cops are the worst. Personally, I'm able to sleep at night knowing that there are people out there willing to do such a service profession and keep the rest of us safe.

"Personally, I'm able to sleep at night knowing that there are people out there willing to do such a service profession and keep the rest of us safe."
Keep dreaming ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
I certainly don't see them... Maybe once every year or so you might get a "good cop" story.

Cops don't protect shit... They don't stop crime... They just report on it.

I ask everyone who reads this to be honest with themselves and tell me a time when a cop actually HELPED you... I haven't got a SINGLE story and I'm 36 years old.

You guys?

Police "Heroes" Save Woman from Burning Car
Victim pulled from vehicle as flames spread
Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 |
By Jim Iovino

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- As flames singed their boots and pants, two members of the Maryland State Police force heroically rescued a woman Wednesday morning from a burning vehicle.

Corporal John Griffin and Cadet Andrew Neall were the first officials to arrive at the scene of a car crash at about 6:30 a.m. along Route 301 near Leeland Drive and saw the front of a vehicle engulfed in flames, with fire leaping 6 feet above the vehicle and the two front tires ablaze.

The driver's side door was locked so Griffin shattered the window and, through heavy smoke, spotted the driver slumped over the center console. He unbuckled the driver and began to remove her from the burning vehicle while feeling the heat from the fire at his feet and legs.

Griffin and Neall began to carry the victim up the hill to safety. They got just 15 feet away from the crash when the entire interior of the Hyundai erupted in flames.

The driver, Melody Grimm, 57, of Crofton, was treated at the scene.

The cause of the crash and the fire remains under investigation, but officials said Griffin and Neall should be credited with saving a life.

“I commend Corporal Griffin and Cadet Neall for their heroic actions today that uphold the highest standards and traditions of the Maryland State Police,” Colonel Terrence Sheridan said. “Their decisive and unselfish actions clearly resulted in a life being saved, for which we are all grateful.”

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Police-Heroes-Save-Woman-from-Burning-Car.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
Obama honors police heroes
May 12, 2009
By Joseph Weber
The Washington Times

President Obama on Tuesday honored 33 U.S. law enforcement officers who risked their lives — from capturing terrorists to rescuing hostages held at gunpoint — to protect and save others.

“It is an extraordinary privilege to celebrate these cops who have traveled here today to be recognized for their acts of courage,” the president said at the White House ceremony. “These are the men and women who walk the beat and do the difficult job of keeping our neighborhoods safe.”

The honors are known as the Top Cop awards and are given each year by the National Association of Police Organizations.

Among those honored were Fabian Gonzalez, a Phoenix Police Department officer who in April 2008 stopped an armed man who was shooting into a mall crowd while using a security guard as a shield.

Mr. Obama used the event — held on a clear, sunny afternoon in the compound’s Rose Garden — to restate that his administration has helped create and save thousands of police department jobs through $1 billion in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

The president also said he wants to spend more money to add an additional 50,000 police-officer jobs.

“You’ve literally walked through fire,” the president said of Boise (Idaho) Police Department officers Chris Davis and Jason Rose.

In August 2008, the officers were among the first to respond to a deadly fire and went house to house to evacuate residents.

The officers became engulfed in flames after a series of explosions but continued to rescue others after using sprinklers to extinguish the flames, which had melted their uniforms, according to NAPO.

Seven Drug Enforcement Agency officers were honored for helping to arrest terrorist Monzer Al Kassar, responsible for supplying the weapons used in the 1985 Achille Lauro hijacking.

A U.S. court last year convicted him and two others on multiple terrorism charges.

Special Agents John Archer and William Brown; Assistant Special Agents in Charge Paul Craine, Nicholas Nargi and James Soiles; Supervisory Special Agent Brian Dodd; and Supervisory Special Agent Louis Milione participated in the five-year investigation.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/12/obama-honors-police-heroes/?page=all#pagebreak

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Police remember their fallen heroes
May. 17, 2011

Speaking to a crowd at a memorial ceremony Tuesday for law enforcement officers, Louisiana State Police Capt. Kevin Reeves quoted an author's description of a hero.

"The writer, Raymond Chandler, once penned, 'Down these mean streets a man must go who is not, himself, mean. Who is neither tarnished, nor afraid,'" Reeves said. "I'd like to think Chandler had every law enforcement officer in mind as he wrote those words."

The Second Annual Northeast Louisiana Police Week continued with the ceremonial wreath-laying at the "Fallen Officers" Memorial. After a prayer and performance of the National Anthem, Reeves, commander of Troop F, spoke to those in attendance.

"When I was promoted to commander at Troop F, Col. (Mike) Edmondson (LSP Commander) told me to ensure the relationships were formed with other area law enforcement agencies," Reeves said. "I told him northeastern Louisiana residents already benefitted from that."

Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo said the ceremony of the wreath-laying was an important component of Police Week.

"We're delighted as a law enforcement agency to invite other agencies from around the area to honor those who have fallen," Mayo said.

Monroe police chief Quentin Holmes said it was important to take a moment and remember the sacrifice law enforcement officers make every day.

"Sometimes, its easy for us to forget about those who pay the ultimate sacrifice," Holmes said. "This is a chance for us to pause and reflect on the price paid by our law enforcement officers."

Holmes, who organized the first Northeast Louisiana Police Week last year, said he was humbled to serve his community.

West Monroe police chief Christopher Elg said Tuesday's ceremony was only one of possibly thousands taking place across the country this week.

"Anywhere in the country, there are communities gathering for events like this," Elg said. "It's nice to know there are those thinking about us officers. It's good that agencies can get together like this and remember the sacrifices we make."

Every year, Concerns of Police Survivors, a not-for-profit organization, holds National Police Week in Washington. NELA Police Week is intended to mirror the national event.

Reeves summed up the camaraderie between law enforcement agencies.

"Regardless whether we wear some shade of blue, gray, khaki or green, we're a family," Reeves said.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
Police Officer Saves Child's Life
Milford Child Was Choking On Apple
By WickedLocal.com, our news partner
POSTED: 6:59 am EST February 13, 2011
UPDATED: 7:02 am EST February 13, 2011

MILFORD, Mass. -- Police Officer Robbie Tusino is to thank for saving a 14-month-old child’s life on Thursday, our news partner WickedLocal/Milford reported.

Tusino, who is also a paramedic, responded to a call at 4:25 p.m. that day stating a child had stopped breathing. The child was blue in the face and unresponsive because of an obstructed airway when Tusino and Officer Edward Varteresian arrived on the scene.

Tusino began Heimlich procedures to remove the object, an over-sized piece of apple, from the child’s airway. The child was revived and could be heard crying on the police radio transmission.

“Robbie Tusino has worked miracles in the past utilizing his skills and abilities as a paramedic to save people’s lives, today, he once again commendably demonstrated these skills and saved the life of a young child,” Police Chief Thomas O’Loughlin said in a statement.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/26849804/detail.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
Police officer saves New Jersey woman’s life

Margaret Rosenbauer of Hillsdale, New Jersey, was at a friend's 70th birthday party when she started choking on a piece of meat. Officer Scott McNiff was the first one to respond to the call, and his actions saved Rosenbauer's life, according to the Westwood Patch.

The party took place at the Banchetto Feast restaurant in Westwood this past Saturday. When it became clear that Rosenbauer was chocking, an off-duty nurse ran over and performed the Heimlich maneuver to no avail.

Once McNiff arrived he began CPR while someone else retrieved an oxygen tank and other police gear from his car. After McNiff completed approximately 50 compressions, he noticed a noise that was coming from Rosenbauer indicating that she was able to breath, the Patch reports.

Paramedics arrived soon after and she was taken to a nearby hospital. She spent only a couple of hours there before being released.

According to the Cliffview Pilot, the guests in the restaurant clapped and cheered when McNiff was leaving the building, but he said he did not notice.

"I was more focused on the victim than the details of what was going on around me," McNiff told the Cliffview Pilot.

http://www.511tactical.com/news/2011/04/police-officer-saves-new-jersey-womans-life/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »
Reno Police Officer Saves Baby's Life
Posted: May 15, 2011 12:49 PM

Some scary moments for a pregnant woman before a Reno Police officer saved her baby Friday night.

Officer Michael Browett responded to a call of a woman having a pregnancy problem at the Southwest Village Apartments last night.

He says when he got there, he found a woman had just given birth, but the baby was not breathing.

He noticed the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck. He unwrapped it and suctioned out of the baby's nose and mouth until it started breathing and crying.

"It was nerve-wracking," Officer Browett said. "But once that baby started crying, that was the best sound ever.

Thanks to Officer Browett, the mother and her baby girl are doing just fine, recovering at the hospital.

http://www.ktvn.com/story/14649074/reno-police-officer-saves-babys-life

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »
Good story.   Reminder to me to re-up my first aid course. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »
I've been in Law Enforcement in some form or fashion since 1982. I am fortunate to work on a Department that is well paid and well trained. I am proud of the fact we don't tolerate bad cops here. The days are long gone where you turn the other way if a cop is doing something wrong. It will cost you your job if you do.

I know not all departments are there yet. I know even we have a bad cop or two just waiting to be discovered because we hire from the human race, and no matter how extensive our screening is, every once in awhile a jerk slips through.

Rest assured no one hates a dirty cop more than the good cops. Every time we make strides with the community, building trust, repairing damage the last pos cop did before they were fired, another pos thug in uniform comes along and we start all over again. Truly frustrating. But.. the reality the vast majority of cops are good decent folks trying to keep the predators from preying on the weaker citizens. For every video you see of an officer either making an honest error in judgement or a down right criminal of himself, there were 100's of 1000's of citizen contacts that went just fine.

No one is saying cops are perfect, but the fact is, most of them are trying really hard to be...   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Just my .02, the worst thing that occurs in my nabe is that cops never do foot or cycle patrol.   

It would help a ton if cops actually acted like they cared about the local merchants, the local residents and actually once and awhile stoped and just talked to people about daily crap going on. 

instead, around me, all I see are cops speeding like crazy in the cars through red lights and stop signs talking on the phone, hanging out at DD, etc.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
I've been in Law Enforcement in some form or fashion since 1982. I am fortunate to work on a Department that is well paid and well trained. I am proud of the fact we don't tolerate bad cops here. The days are long gone where you turn the other way if a cop is doing something wrong. It will cost you your job if you do.

I know not all departments are there yet. I know even we have a bad cop or two just waiting to be discovered because we hire from the human race, and no matter how extensive our screening is, every once in awhile a jerk slips through.

Rest assured no one hates a dirty cop more than the good cops. Every time we make strides with the community, building trust, repairing damage the last pos cop did before they were fired, another pos thug in uniform comes along and we start all over again. Truly frustrating. But.. the reality the vast majority of cops are good decent folks trying to keep the predators from preying on the weaker citizens. For every video you see of an officer either making an honest error in judgement or a down right criminal of himself, there were 100's of 1000's of citizen contacts that went just fine.

No one is saying cops are perfect, but the fact is, most of them are trying really hard to be...   

Well said. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
Just my .02, the worst thing that occurs in my nabe is that cops never do foot or cycle patrol.   

It would help a ton if cops actually acted like they cared about the local merchants, the local residents and actually once and awhile stoped and just talked to people about daily crap going on. 

instead, around me, all I see are cops speeding like crazy in the cars through red lights and stop signs talking on the phone, hanging out at DD, etc.   

While I concur there are some cops who milk calls, or waste their time at Dunkin Donuts, there may be other factors involved that prevent the foot or bike patrols you recommend.

I will speak using my department as an example. We do have a walking beat and bike patrols in particular areas of town but not all. For many departments it is just not feasible. You have a limited number of cops to patrol x number of square miles. There are calls for service being generated and they have to be answered. Bike and foot patrols for the most part can't respond to those calls unless they are lucky enough to be down the street.

So unless your department has excess manpower and can afford to spare them for the foot or bike patrols, they get more bang for their buck in patrol cars that can respond to the emergency calls in a decent time frame.

Just something to consider   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »
While I concur there are some cops who milk calls, or waste their time at Dunkin Donuts, there may be other factors involved that prevent the foot or bike patrols you recommend.

I will speak using my department as an example. We do have a walking beat and bike patrols in particular areas of town but not all. For many departments it is just not feasible. You have a limited number of cops to patrol x number of square miles. There are calls for service being generated and they have to be answered. Bike and foot patrols for the most part can't respond to those calls unless they are lucky enough to be down the street.

So unless your department has excess manpower and can afford to spare them for the foot or bike patrols, they get more bang for their buck in patrol cars that can respond to the emergency calls in a decent time frame.

Just something to consider   

I'm talking from a public releations point of view from the guy on the street.   You raise good points, but the merchant whose customers are ticketed endlessly, is harassed by thug teens without end, and then gets treated rudely by cops if the sidewalk is not swept really has a very low perception of police. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »
I'm talking from a public releations point of view from the guy on the street.   You raise good points, but the merchant whose customers are ticketed endlessly, is harassed by thug teens without end, and then gets treated rudely by cops if the sidewalk is not swept really has a very low perception of police. 

We must be from two different worlds, cops here don't care if a sidewalk is swept or not. We also have around 25,000 businesses and 1000 cops who work the streets 24/7. about a 1/3 of them work when businesses are open. Again, while I too would like to see a Mayberry situation where the beat cop could visit each and every merchant, it just isn't feasible. Having said that, we would make a point to visit the merchant who is being harassed by thug teens if they called it in.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
I am in the Bronx and Yonkers, N.Y.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 07:18:51 AM »
I am in the Bronx and Yonkers, N.Y.

I'm not aware of their manpower issues. I'm also not privy to their oversight system. The larger the department, the bigger the span of control or Supervisor to officer ratio, the more potential there is for unprofessional conduct.

Stepping out on opinion here based just on my observations of other departments I've visited over the years. No matter what department you speak of these days, I believe most cops on the department are there for the right reasons. I think the majority of cops at any given department are good cops. I think the percentage varies based on the individual department. Do they have police oversight? Does their Chief hold them accountable? Is the culture evolved to the 21st century and "good ol boy" tactics and philosophy given way to professionalism? Is there a focus on training? Is the pay adequate to attract a good pool of applicants to choose from?

I think there are a lot of things that play into how good a department is.  Inspite of the pockets of corruption that has come to light over the years (many have come to light because other cops brought it to our attention) most cops are good decent people trying to do their best in a job that is truly difficult to do. We have training and equipment and general orders and SOPs to help us, but while most calls are the same kind, domestic disturbances, fights, burglaries, aggravated assaults, etc etc, each call can be so different. We have to make decisions based on what we know or perceive at the moment and the command staff and public have days to review a video or circumstances and decide we should have done this or that.. To our credit, most of the time we make the right decisions and you never hear about it.

Anyhoo, it truly is disappointing to me when anyone bundles police up in a neat package and hates or dislikes us all. Many people, who are otherwise intelligent, will be anti police because when they were 12 they got warned by a cop for jay walking.. or got a ticket they thought they didn't deserve.. very sad people to hate us all for something like that.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
Appreciation Day isn't till May, but just some things to keep in mind:

165 officers die in the line of duty annually

1 officer is killed every 54 hours

61,000 officers are assaulted annually

189 officers are assaulted every day

19,000 officers are injured in those assaults

2 officers are shot every day

http://www.nationallead.com/

((-::

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 07:25:50 AM »
I agree with you about the DV stuff.   That stuff seems the most dangerous IMHO.  

Here is what gets me - we have illegals all over the place, day after day after day, drinking, loitering, vandalzing property, etc.   People call all the time and nothing is done, yet there are dzens o traffic cops to give tickets, etc.

The percepton of the average guy is that citizens are viewed as ATM machines and little else while real issues go unaddressed.    

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »
Appreciation Day isn't till May, but just some things to keep in mind:

165 officers die in the line of duty annually

1 officer is killed every 54 hours

61,000 officers are assaulted annually

189 officers are assaulted every day

19,000 officers are injured in those assaults

2 officers are shot every day

http://www.nationallead.com/

OK  I work with cops and we have NEVER  ever  ever ever heard of this holiday!
((-::

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
I agree with you about the DV stuff.   That stuff seems the most dangerous IMHO.  

Here is what gets me - we have illegals all over the place, day after day after day, drinking, loitering, vandalzing property, etc.   People call all the time and nothing is done, yet there are dzens o traffic cops to give tickets, etc.

The percepton of the average guy is that citizens are viewed as ATM machines and little else while real issues go unaddressed.    

We have a large illegal immigrant population here. The majority work hard monday through friday and don't bother anyone. There is a small small part of that group that drink and drive causing serious issues up to and including death. But for the most part, the worst that happens is on Sundays they play their car stereos while they all drink beer in the apartment parking lot. We'll tell them to turn the music down and they usually do.

I do know that citys tend to count on revenue of ticket writing in their annual budget. I can't blame them because it is a fact that people will speed, run red lights etc and we will write tickets for them. Over the years you can pretty much figure what that will be annually. But for the department and the cops, we could give a sh*t how much revenue we generate. It doesn't matter. What matters is we know that at the intersection of X and Y over the last 6 months we have had 3 fatality colisions due to people running the lights there so we focus on that area. We know more deaths are caused each year  by people violating traffic laws than all the homicides we have  had in the last 5 yrs. So while I'm sure you are right that the civic leaders may view tickets as revenue, the average street cop couldn't care any less about it. So what you may view as the "real issues" perhaps in the scheme of things, aren't the real issues at all.. something to consider.