Author Topic: Saw a legit 305 BNP today for 2 reps...crazy  (Read 3542 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Saw a legit 305 BNP today for 2 reps...crazy
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
A real press behind the neck is where you press from the where you would rest the bar for a squat.  That is something I rarely see.  Most is a guy pressing from somewhere from mid head level where 6 inches of range of motion are gone making the lift a lot easier.  In the old days the guys took the bar from the squat rack resting the bar on their trap as in a squat.  There would be very few guys claiming a 300lbs. pbn if they did it this way.
i think thats how marius pudzanowski (spelling, lol) does them. i remember seeing a vid of him doing presses like that when he train at the K

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
i think thats how marius pudzanowski (spelling, lol) does them. i remember seeing a vid of him doing presses like that when he train at the K

that was a push press, closer to a behind-the-neck jerk. no one would ever to a standard BNP all the way down to the traps.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
that was a push press, closer to a behind-the-neck jerk. no one would ever to a standard BNP all the way down to the traps.
why not?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
Some lifters will jerk-press PBN's, starting with the bar resting on the back of the traps. Like when getting ready for squating. Each rep started from a dead stop for a second or to. Beginning from that dead stop position can go far to develop the important starting push off. Seems to improve the total push to lockout for some. Same can be said for the bench or just about anything else. If I remember correctly, a few Bulgarian and Romanian  Olympic lifters handled well over 400 in these PBN jerk-press.

Really not any true or real version of the PBN for everyone, but the version that you can handle with confidence and semi-comfort. No point on ragging how the PBN (or up-right row) should never be done by any one because of the potential danger. That's not always true. Because you may think it is dangerous for you does not make it so for everyone else. Some make great gains in power and size while training the shoulder girdle to become more flexible and stronger than ever. Have to find out your self through experience.

A lot of very huge and thick BB'ing  do the middle range rep thing. Very fast reps. Never going less than a little below ear level and never higher than maybe 2 to 4 inches before lockout. That TUT thing again, though they do not always call it that, just rep'ing out. They use from moderate to very heavy weight, depending on the BB'er. I think most guy's who come here would gain from testing that method, when they understand the bases and theory of it.

Too many guy's here are way too concerned with big numbers on the bench, Dl and squat. Muscle mass does not always follow strength gains. The ratio does not always match. Some people will have to decide if they want to be a PL'er or a BB'er and train accordingly. Their training video's and workout plans, though helpful, seem to suggest that. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Just wonder why no one would do a standard PBN all the way down to the traps? No one is everyone...right?
F

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 08:52:48 AM »
charles glass says that the correct way to do a behind the neck press is to ONLY go down to the ears, then go up just short of lockout,  and to keep the reps within that range and keeping tension on the delts. he said its dangerous any other way, but that its a great mass builder as long as you do it his way.   i never do behind the neck press with a free weight barbell, buut when im doing dumbell press i will pull my shoulders all the way back and kinda simulate a behind the neck dumbell press... and sometimes i will do behind the neck press on the smith machine...  i really like the feel of these, they feel like they hit the entire delt pretty good... but to be honest i never notice any differences when i do them or when i dont.

bonedoc

• Getbig II
  • DO IT BIG
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
i have been in the game for a good 15 yrs and have always done bnp to ear level.  I workout with 275 and have had great results at building delts.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
i have been in the game for a good 15 yrs and have always done bnp to ear level.  I workout with 275 and have had great results at building delts.
Anything below year is stupid IMO