Author Topic: Impressions of Jay Cutler in One Step Closer  (Read 2049 times)

mtwain

Impressions of Jay Cutler in One Step Closer
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »
Although I don't follow bodybuilding that closely I came to realize a long time ago that all the advances in nutrition, training and dieting has come from the sport of bodybuilding and although it's not a performance sport as such it's usefulness to other sports are invaluable. Although the end result is solely your appearance I can't think of a sport that is so all consuming. Literally everything you do has some impact on your endeavor. Training, eating, sleeping ... it's all part of your training. It's 24 hours per day and never ending. Just the discipline in dieting alone, whether bulking or cutting, would eliminate 99.9% of the population? With my sport you do train hard and take your lumps but then it's over. You can forget about it. You have to watch what you eat but not really. Just make sure you get all the nutrients and only worry about dieting just before a match and that isn't even much. Bodybuilding has to be one of the most demanding sports, maybe second only to professional wrestling, out there.

Anyway, since most of my BB experience comes from Pumping Iron I was completely blown away by Jay Cutler in "One Step Closer." It is truly amazing how far the sport as come since those days. To see Cutler at over 290 lbs (what is he? 5'9"? 5'10"?) and more lean and define than the days of Arnold is mind boggling. I can remember first seeing Arnold and thinking that this is as far as a man can go muscle wise. Compared to Cutler he's not even close.

Since I'm no expert can someone explain to me why Coleman beat him in 2005? Coleman is bigger overall but to me he doesn't in anyway make Cutler look small. Not in the way that say Mentzer made Zane look small and still lost. So it's not just size. Cutler seems to me, in additional to being mind-blowingly huge, much more refined and polished. Coleman not only has that gut but his abs looks like they've been stretched out. Those "cubes," for lack of a better word, seems like they're separated, like there's this big gap between them from being stretched out. Cutler's are tight. Also, Coleman's calves when viewed from the front seem lacking. Especially his right calf when viewed from the front. This might be because of a high calf attachment. I know Coleman is known for his back but I think Jay more than holds his own there. I like his look better. It's tighter and freaky. Coleman seems so big and sloppy. Coleman does have those huge veins which Jay incredibly seems to be lacking for someone at his level. But I think this is a small concession, assuming you like veins which I don't have strong feelings one way or another. Coleman to me has discernible flaws, some of them glaring, whereas Jay to me seems to have no flaws and is much more hard, denser and pleasing to the eye and clocking in at 265 lbs. how much bigger does he have to get? I would like to see Jay not grimace as much when he poses. I like more of the dignified and majestic look the guys back in the day had. Remember Arnold during the prejudging in Pumping Iron? No excessive smiling or grimacing. He had that look that just seem to say, to quote Matt Ferrigno, "Take a look at this hunk of man."   

Also, I would like to see Jay comment more during his training in future DVDs. Maybe between sets just comment on what he's doing, what he's trying to accomplish, why he uses a certain type of form, weight or whatever on a given exercise. Like when he does calves he does a little partial rep before a complete one. Like he goes down, bounces up and down a little, then does a full rep. I like that he explained why he was not going all the way to floor on dead lifts. I was wondering about that. I wondered why he holds his elbows out instead of in, like we've all been told to do, on tricep pushdowns. What did he mean when he said, "It's all about speed" on rope pull downs? Is he saying that exercises should be done as fast as possible. If so, why? I mean he doesn't have to give a formal report on everything he does but I figure since the camera is on him between sets he might as well say something then just grimace at the mirror. I live in Southern Cali and can go to Gold's in Venice and watch huge guys work out all day. I want some idea what's going on in Jay's mind. I'm interested in him and want to hear what he has to say. At times I was on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to say something -- anything! Even if it's just complaining about the dumbells not being heavy enough at Gold's.

Anyway, I was really blown away at the DVD and would highly recommend it. I found it very inspiring and it really gave me an insight as to how much one has to commit to succeed in this sport. I mean, having to get up twice in the middle of the night just to eat. When eating becomes part of your job it really takes a lot of the fun out of it. When you sacrifice so much it becomes more understandable the disappointment when you lose. I love that scene in the bank when the teller asked him who won and he says, "Same guy. Same guy every year." The shaking of his head was clearly evident in the tone of his voice.

Is it just a given that unless you're Arnold you can never unseat a sitting Mr. Olympia? Has anyone, other than Arnold, ever unseated a sitting Mr. Olympia? Didn't Dorian keep winning even though he had half a bicep? Is it really that political? I mean, the guy puts his weights away and actually racks the dumbells where it belongs. That alone should count for something and is also one of the most impressive things I noticed on his DVD.   

body88

Re: Impressions of Jay Cutler in One Step Closer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »
holy shit

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:33:18 PM »
Cliff notes man! I didnt even read that.. wheeeeewww..

I have the DVD.

Its AWESOME...

2 discs, one disc is a continuation from Ripped to shreds, I swear, its like your RIGHT THERE with Jay, all the way up to the MRO.

I like it because it helped with my training. Just the control he has, and how much he focuses during each rep.

Order it.
Bc Cutler is going to be King Cutler this October.

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Although I don't follow bodybuilding that closely I came to realize a long time ago that all the advances in nutrition, training and dieting has come from the sport of bodybuilding and although it's not a performance sport as such it's usefulness to other sports are invaluable. Although the end result is solely your appearance I can't think of a sport that is so all consuming. Literally everything you do has some impact on your endeavor. Training, eating, sleeping ... it's all part of your training. It's 24 hours per day and never ending. Just the discipline in dieting alone, whether bulking or cutting, would eliminate 99.9% of the population? With my sport you do train hard and take your lumps but then it's over. You can forget about it. You have to watch what you eat but not really. Just make sure you get all the nutrients and only worry about dieting just before a match and that isn't even much. Bodybuilding has to be one of the most demanding sports, maybe second only to professional wrestling, out there.

Anyway, since most of my BB experience comes from Pumping Iron I was completely blown away by Jay Cutler in "One Step Closer." It is truly amazing how far the sport as come since those days. To see Cutler at over 290 lbs (what is he? 5'9"? 5'10"?) and more lean and define than the days of Arnold is mind boggling. I can remember first seeing Arnold and thinking that this is as far as a man can go muscle wise. Compared to Cutler he's not even close.

Since I'm no expert can someone explain to me why Coleman beat him in 2005? Coleman is bigger overall but to me he doesn't in anyway make Cutler look small. Not in the way that say Mentzer made Zane look small and still lost. So it's not just size. Cutler seems to me, in additional to being mind-blowingly huge, much more refined and polished. Coleman not only has that gut but his abs looks like they've been stretched out. Those "cubes," for lack of a better word, seems like they're separated, like there's this big gap between them from being stretched out. Cutler's are tight. Also, Coleman's calves when viewed from the front seem lacking. Especially his right calf when viewed from the front. This might be because of a high calf attachment. I know Coleman is known for his back but I think Jay more than holds his own there. I like his look better. It's tighter and freaky. Coleman seems so big and sloppy. Coleman does have those huge veins which Jay incredibly seems to be lacking for someone at his level. But I think this is a small concession, assuming you like veins which I don't have strong feelings one way or another. Coleman to me has discernible flaws, some of them glaring, whereas Jay to me seems to have no flaws and is much more hard, denser and pleasing to the eye and clocking in at 265 lbs. how much bigger does he have to get? I would like to see Jay not grimace as much when he poses. I like more of the dignified and majestic look the guys back in the day had. Remember Arnold during the prejudging in Pumping Iron? No excessive smiling or grimacing. He had that look that just seem to say, to quote Matt Ferrigno, "Take a look at this hunk of man."   

Also, I would like to see Jay comment more during his training in future DVDs. Maybe between sets just comment on what he's doing, what he's trying to accomplish, why he uses a certain type of form, weight or whatever on a given exercise. Like when he does calves he does a little partial rep before a complete one. Like he goes down, bounces up and down a little, then does a full rep. I like that he explained why he was not going all the way to floor on dead lifts. I was wondering about that. I wondered why he holds his elbows out instead of in, like we've all been told to do, on tricep pushdowns. What did he mean when he said, "It's all about speed" on rope pull downs? Is he saying that exercises should be done as fast as possible. If so, why? I mean he doesn't have to give a formal report on everything he does but I figure since the camera is on him between sets he might as well say something then just grimace at the mirror. I live in Southern Cali and can go to Gold's in Venice and watch huge guys work out all day. I want some idea what's going on in Jay's mind. I'm interested in him and want to hear what he has to say. At times I was on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to say something -- anything! Even if it's just complaining about the dumbells not being heavy enough at Gold's.

Anyway, I was really blown away at the DVD and would highly recommend it. I found it very inspiring and it really gave me an insight as to how much one has to commit to succeed in this sport. I mean, having to get up twice in the middle of the night just to eat. When eating becomes part of your job it really takes a lot of the fun out of it. When you sacrifice so much it becomes more understandable the disappointment when you lose. I love that scene in the bank when the teller asked him who won and he says, "Same guy. Same guy every year." The shaking of his head was clearly evident in the tone of his voice.

Is it just a given that unless you're Arnold you can never unseat a sitting Mr. Olympia? Has anyone, other than Arnold, ever unseated a sitting Mr. Olympia? Didn't Dorian keep winning even though he had half a bicep? Is it really that political? I mean, the guy puts his weights away and actually racks the dumbells where it belongs. That alone should count for something and is also one of the most impressive things I noticed on his DVD.   

Coleman has shredded horse glutes, which seems to be the gold standard on which conditioning is no based.

mtwain

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »
Cliff notes man! I didnt even read that.. wheeeeewww..

I have the DVD.

Its AWESOME...

2 discs, one disc is a continuation from Ripped to shreds, I swear, its like your RIGHT THERE with Jay, all the way up to the MRO.

I like it because it helped with my training. Just the control he has, and how much he focuses during each rep.

Order it.
Bc Cutler is going to be King Cutler this October.

Hah! You're right. I got carried away. I guess the point I most want to get across is some ways he could improve his future DVDs so I'll just paste this part (but I still want to know why he lost to Coleman because I'm not really as well versed in the sport as most of you guys are. LOL at Coleman's horse glutes. If that's what they're looking for then the sport is doomed). Anyway, here's what I would like to see in future DVDs:

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
You know, when Jay is training triceps, he does a different version of close grip bench I have ever seen. Elbows out, med/close grip.

So I tried it at the gym. I went 135/185 then 225, just nice and slow for reps..WHAT A PUMP! NOICE!

Sorry Jay, I must classify as you would say "Fat mouth" today..its the excitement bc your here  8)
Ask anyone im super quiet usually... :D