Author Topic: Time to stretch the show to a 2-hour broadcast  (Read 4583 times)

thisiskeith12

Time to stretch the show to a 2-hour broadcast
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
Stretch those wings Bob and Dan!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Time to stretch the show to a 2-hour broadcast
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
Not a bad idea.  And bring on a 3rd host who isn't a company man.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »
Not a bad idea.  And bring on a 3rd host who isn't a company man.

I think they should go back to allowing callers. Or have a one hour show later on in the week with callers. I know this sounds like a disaster, but I'd like to hear more debatable topics sometimes.

Dan Solomon

• Getbig II
  • PBW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:47:30 PM »
Thanks boyz -- Your feedback is taken very seriously.  An expanded format is definitely in our plans. 

www.ProBodybuildingWeekly.com

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
I think they should go back to allowing callers. Or have a one hour show later on in the week with callers. I know this sounds like a disaster, but I'd like to hear more debatable topics sometimes.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! having callers would be a disaster! I think they tried that once and it was a trainwreck - just painful to listent to. Fan opinions are best expressed on the boards. If you have a specific q for a pro, it makes more sense to email it to the show. Just keep pros and industry insiders on the show. Definetly needs to be 2 hours though . . .

thisiskeith12

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:21 PM »
Thanks boyz -- Your feedback is taken very seriously.  An expanded format is definitely in our plans. 

www.ProBodybuildingWeekly.com

Yeah I remember the call ins when they first did it, you will have too many goofs to call in and talk nonsense instead of legitimate debate. Good to hear Dan, I only say that because most of the interviews take the whole show. If you do think about doing a call-in show, you may want to have just one host for it, and he shouldn't be a pro, more of a personality.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »
Dan-

Perhaps mix it up a bit.  45 minutes of Bob and Dan.  Then 30 minutes of a 3rd female host weighing in (fitness/figure/fbb segment- double your audience right there).

Then, 9:15 to 10:00 would be call-in time :)  It'd be less organized, but people could tune out if they wanted.  And, the fact that you just might have a 240 or Special Ed or Ron Avidan or HRDCOR or past pro or surprise guest or whoever call in, would keep ppl listening!

Grow it, but grow your audience as well- in terms of both demo (adding the women) and maturity/psy-lvl (call-ins will lose some pursists and women, but will DEFINITELY keep the kids listening longer.)  And since the kids buy the supplements blindly, they're really the group you want anyway.  Just the thought of Bob and someone having an UNSTAGED discussion would be enough to get me to tape '24' and listen longer :)

240 is here to help, not just to trade shots with ya!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 09:08:34 PM »
Dan-

Perhaps mix it up a bit.  45 minutes of Bob and Dan.  Then 30 minutes of a 3rd female host weighing in (fitness/figure/fbb segment- double your audience right there).

Then, 9:15 to 10:00 would be call-in time :)  It'd be less organized, but people could tune out if they wanted.  And, the fact that you just might have a 240 or Special Ed or Ron Avidan or HRDCOR or past pro or surprise guest or whoever call in, would keep ppl listening!

Grow it, but grow your audience as well- in terms of both demo (adding the women) and maturity/psy-lvl (call-ins will lose some pursists and women, but will DEFINITELY keep the kids listening longer.)  And since the kids buy the supplements blindly, they're really the group you want anyway.  Just the thought of Bob and someone having an UNSTAGED discussion would be enough to get me to tape '24' and listen longer :)

240 is here to help, not just to trade shots with ya!

I don't think Bob or any pro should be on during the Call-in part. Your setting yourself up for wasting time. Trolls will call and take shots. It's kinda like your favorite college team losing and listening to the coach's call in show afterwards. You always have some fool call in and take cheap shots at the coach.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:12:18 PM »
Don't do the call-ins. Don't include the female BB. Instead include a pro or national level competitor do a podcast/seminar on topics like contest prep diet ect..

Booooo! That could be summed up in one show.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 09:14:05 PM »
In the worst case just have people email in questions and then use them during the interview... you know like: so and so asks how long have you been lifting..etc

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »
Yeah, and since many of your listeners follow the boards, why not actually use some of the Qs asked here?  I know the 10 questions prepped for J Manion gave him a 7 week flu!  Play some hardball and your numbers will jump!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »
In the worst case just have people email in questions and then use them during the interview... you know like: so and so asks how long have you been lifting..etc

Well yeah, but sometimes it needs to be back and forth, debateful.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »
thanks thisiskeith12! how bout showing me some positivity? wheres the TJ spirit?... What would you prefer 10 more freakin Gakic ads? more Dr Navarro ads?

Sorry Brother A. I will revoke my comments and say that both need to be incorporated. Eh?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 09:22:13 PM »
By the way- when the "neutral" guest from Muscletech started talking about the wonders of Leukic, I turned off my radio tonight.

News and ads are strange bedfellows.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »

snake oil salesmen!

I went and bought some Cell Tech right afterwards, they convinced me with the information they research. It's obvious their supplements work tons better than any other companies. You know it, I know it, GNC even knows it (they told me). Their products are holy!

Dan Solomon

• Getbig II
  • PBW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 08:44:27 AM »
One of the things that we've discovered is that the audience extends far beyond the message board crowd. -- The "email" feedback is VERY different from the "message board" feedback.  Our objective is to appeal to fans across the board (not an easy task).  For example, to some listeners, our conversation with Dr. Heuer was "lame".  ON THE OTHER HAND, there were a lot of people who really enjoyed hearing from someone who actually develops the products that help fuel the industry.  -- We once inteviewed IFBB Head Judge Jim Rockell.  Some LOVED it because it was a rare chance to hear from the head judge.  Others were less impressed. -- We are grateful for the promotional support we've received from the magazines, Bodybuilding.com, MuscleTech....and of course GetBig.  Thanks for the feedback!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:15 AM »
One of the things that we've discovered is that the audience extends far beyond the message board crowd. -- The "email" feedback is VERY different from the "message board" feedback.  Our objective is to appeal to fans across the board (not an easy task).  For example, to some listeners, our conversation with Dr. Heuer was "lame".  ON THE OTHER HAND, there were a lot of people who really enjoyed hearing from someone who actually develops the products that help fuel the industry.  -- We once inteviewed IFBB Head Judge Jim Rockell.  Some LOVED it because it was a rare chance to hear from the head judge.  Others were less impressed. -- We are grateful for the promotional support we've received from the magazines, Bodybuilding.com, MuscleTech....and of course GetBig.  Thanks for the feedback!

In all seriousness, I enjoyed the interview, it was cool to hear about actual Doctors working in supplements.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
Hey Dan,

First off, love the show, however I do often find myself cringing at the wasted potential I see in the clunky, unrehearsed and more awkward sections and there remain some format problems.

The most interesting AND ENTERTAINING topics (remember this is supposed to be into-tainment people) would be if the pros got to tell a few "I remember this one time backstage at a contest/in the gym/at this seminar/walking down the street minding my own business when...." type stories, with the names omitted to protect the innocent of course. The main reason people are so interested in any details regarding the pros is because the interview format doesn't really illustrate a persons personality, only how comfortable/accomplished an interviewee they are... add to this the superhuman sameness of Flex magazine articles and an aura of mystique festers in the void of any tangible frame of reference regarding these otherwordly athletes.

People lap up this stuff, the entire IronAge website is based on these kinds of stories.... they're great. Pros invariably have loads of these anecdotes.... Imagine Shawn Ray, Bob Chick, Milos Sarcev etc just shooting the shit....
-"So we both got into the lift and the cables start creaking....
-"So the old lady is screaming about her dog and the pillow I sat on starts squirming...
-"This newbie comes up to me in the gym...
-"Having bent the bar, I just hid it behind the squat rack...
-"So I'm training with [whoever] and...
-"I said, 'Thank you waitress....mmmmm..... I'll have everything on the menu except the salad and my friend will have the same....
...etc etc.

Another good idea would be dedicating a section of the show to an IronAge/nostalgia segment. Why not interview people who aren't pulling punches with their career/future placings foremost in their minds.... Samir Bannout, Sergio oliva, Frank Zane spring to mind as no-holds-barred type individuals who wouldn't mind opening a few cans of worms.

What about interviewing all Arnold's former training partners? Dave Draper, Danny Padilla and Ed Corney all post regularly on IronAge.

What about a "Where are they now"?

What about interviewing "Undercover Pro" with a voice disguiser?

The Luke

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 05:54:41 PM »
Stretch those wings Bob and Dan!!!

Glad to see you offering encouragement, Keith. Sometimes I'm amazed by how Christlike you are.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
Glad to see you offering encouragement, Keith. Sometimes I'm amazed by how Christlike you are.

Indeed, sometimes I amaze myself. I'm unstoppable.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 06:00:25 PM »
Indeed, sometimes I amaze myself. I'm unstoppable.

Careful now, you're not Jesus :o

thisiskeith12

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »
Careful now, you're not Jesus :o

I am not perfect, but I am close.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 08:34:25 PM »
I am not perfect, but I am close.

You are on the verge of committing blasphemy! Repent, brother keith, before it is too late :-\

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 09:00:24 PM »

You and Bob did a good job with Lee Haney...Lee for sure is all class...Have you guys ever thought about interviewing someone from a Hormone Replacement clinic? I understand drugs itself would probably be a touchy subject but couldn't you get around it by having a doctor from a clinic describing what they do and the health benefits ect?