Author Topic: White House Spokesman Blasts Sen. Boxer's Exchange With Secretary Rice  (Read 4517 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Poor choice of words, I'd say.   :-\

White House Spokesman Blasts Sen. Boxer's Exchange With Secretary Rice
Friday, January 12, 2007
AP

Jan. 11: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice discusses U.S. policy in Iraq while testifying on Capitol Hill.
WASHINGTON —  The White House fired back Friday at Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer's verbal slap at Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, calling the California Democrat's caustic comments about Rice's family life "outrageous."

Boxer lit into Rice on Thursday with bitter diatribe during a heated line of questioning before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee looking into Iraq policies. At one point, Boxer turned to the broad question of who pays the ultimate price for war. Rice has never married and has no children.

"Who pays the price? I'm not going to pay a personal price. My kids are too old and my grandchild is too young," Boxer said. "You're not going to pay a particular price, as I understand it, with an immediate family. So who pays the price? The American military and their families."

Rice told FOX News' Jim Angle that she was confused by Boxer's comments at first.

White House spokesman Tony Snow on Friday called Boxer's comments "outrageous."

"I don't know if she was intentionally that tacky, but I do think it's outrageous. Here you got a professional woman, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and Barbara Boxer is sort of throwing little jabs because Condi doesn't have children, as if that means that she doesn't understand the concerns of parents. Great leap backward for feminism," Snow told FOX News Talk's Brian and The Judge.

Boxer released a statement Friday to FOXNews.com through her spokeswoman, Natalie Ravitz, saying:

"I spoke the truth at the committee hearing, which is that neither Secretary Rice nor I have family members that will pay the price for this escalation. My point was to focus attention on our military families who continue to sacrifice because this Administration has not developed a political solution to the situation in Iraq."

Ravitz, via e-mail to FOXNews.com, added, "Sen. Boxer hoped that this argument might persuade Secretary Rice to see the devastating impact of this war on so many military families, and reverse course on this latest escalation of American involvement.”

"And let me just say, I fully understand the sacrifice that the American people are making, and especially the sacrifice that our soldiers are making, men and women in uniform. I visit them. I know what they're going through. I talk to their families. I see it," Rice said.

"Madam Secretary, please, I know you feel terrible about it," Boxer shot back. "That's not the point. I was making the case as to who pays the price for your decisions."

Asked Friday if Rice or the department had any reaction to Boxer's comments, State Department spokeswoman Janelle Hironimus said, "We're not going to be beyond what she [Rice] said.

Boxer told Rice she didn't believe she was listening to outside perspectives on the war in Iraq.

"So from where I sit, Madam Secretary, you are not listening to the American people, you are not listening to the military, you are not listening to the bipartisan voices from the Senate, you are not listening to the Iraq Study Group," Boxer said.

But this wasn't this first time the two shared a heated exchange.

Rice defended herself at a 2005 Senate hearing for her confirmation to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state when Boxer suggested that the secretary's support for Bush and the war in Iraq "overwhelmed your respect for the truth."

"I have to say that I have never, ever lost respect for the truth in the service of anything," Rice said.

Rice heads to the Middle East on Friday to seek support for a new U.S. strategy in Iraq.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243359,00.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: White House Spokesman Blasts Sen. Boxer's Exchange With Secretary Rice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »
This is the best they can do? 

They can't find enough  support for BUSH's plan so they spin Boxer's comments and turn it into dem bashing?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »
Didn't sound like spin to me.  Just pointing out Boxer attacking Rice for not being married with kids. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »
This is the best they can do? 

They can't find enough  support for BUSH's plan so they spin Boxer's comments and turn it into dem bashing?

It wasn't spin.....I just saw the exchange on FOX......Boxer is a piece of human waste!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
Didn't sound like spin to me.  Just pointing out Boxer attacking Rice for not being married with kids. 

Yeah, but they are turning it into an issue that's not related to the 20,000 troops.  What Boxer said wasnt a lie and has nothing to do with Bush's plan.

This is Boxer's issue regarding teh Plan:  "So from where I sit, Madam Secretary, you are not listening to the American people, you are not listening to the military, you are not listening to the bipartisan voices from the Senate, you are not listening to the Iraq Study Group," Boxer said.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Yeah, but they are turning it into an issue that's not related to the 20,000 troops.  What Boxer said wasnt a lie and has nothing to do with Bush's plan.

This is Boxer's issue regarding teh Plan:  "So from where I sit, Madam Secretary, you are not listening to the American people, you are not listening to the military, you are not listening to the bipartisan voices from the Senate, you are not listening to the Iraq Study Group," Boxer said.

It's not going to be an issue because a Dem said it.....if it was a Republican, then it would be an issue!!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
It's not going to be an issue because a Dem said it.....if it was a Republican, then it would be an issue!!

That's a nice consevative bias twisty witty come back.....  but do you have a real point here?  :)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »
That's a nice consevative bias twisty witty come back.....  but do you have a real point here?  :)

The Liberal media will make sure it's a non-issue!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 11:15:07 AM »
The Liberal media will make sure it's a non-issue!

Fox just made it an issue...............an issue that diverts attention from Bush's GAY plan and increases tension between supporters of both parties.   

In other words:  SPIN

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »

Wasn't a lie, just in poor taste for someone whose words become accessible to everyone.  

Boxer has a legitimate criticism (except for the poll nonsense), but she has no plan of her own, like the rest of the Democrats who rode the war issue to victory in November.  What's her plan, other than attacking Bush?    

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:18:42 AM »
Wasn't a lie, just in poor taste for someone whose words become accessible to everyone. 

Boxer has a legitimate criticism (except for the poll nonsense), but she has no plan of her own, like the rest of the Democrats who rode the war issue to victory in November.  What's her plan, other than attacking Bush?   

Whether she has a plan or not is not an issue.  The issue is the plan from the leader:  BUSH. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
Whether she has a plan or not is not an issue.  The issue is the plan from the leader:  BUSH. 

I disagree.  I'm not all that comfortable with what Bush has proposed (subject to discussing it with some of the guys currently on the ground), but ALL I've heard is criticism of whatever Bush wants to do, rather an alternative.  Instead of simply throwing darts at the prez, Boxer and the rest of the liberals in Congress should come up with their own plan.  I've heard nothing.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 11:24:31 AM »
I disagree.  I'm not all that comfortable with what Bush has proposed (subject to discussing it with some of the guys currently on the ground), but ALL I've heard is criticism of whatever Bush wants to do, rather an alternative.  Instead of simply throwing darts at the prez, Boxer and the rest of the liberals in Congress should come up with their own plan.  I've heard nothing.   

What plan coud they come up with?  They are politicians.  Not generals. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
What plan coud they come up with?  They are politicians.  Not generals. 

They consult with the military all the time.  The Armed Services Committee, or any member of Congress, can meet with the Joint Chiefs any time they want.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 11:31:22 AM »
It wasn't spin.....I just saw the exchange on FOX......Boxer is a piece of human waste!

does that make bush, cheney, and rice..a triumvirate of lying, decietful, pieces of crap too?
footloose and fancy free

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
They consult with the military all the time.  The Armed Services Committee, or any member of Congress, can meet with the Joint Chiefs any time they want.

So this 20,000 troop increase is the Genrals reccomendation then?  this is their answer?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:31 AM »
So this 20,000 troop increase is the Genrals reccomendation then?  this is their answer?

No, I'm not sure how Bush is justifying this.  I'm talking about what the liberal alternative is, and the resources at their disposal to come with some alternative. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 11:40:52 AM »
No, I'm not sure how Bush is justifying this.  I'm talking about what the liberal alternative is, and the resources at their disposal to come with some alternative. 

What about the ISG reccomendations?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
What about the ISG reccomendations?

What about them?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
Well it seems he may have ignored the Generals, the ISG, etc.... 

You see, i understand your issue with the dems here.  But htey aren't calling the shots, BUSH is.  That's why his proposal is being attacked. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
Well it seems he may have ignored the Generals, the ISG, etc.... 

You see, i understand your issue with the dems here.  But htey aren't calling the shots, BUSH is.  That's why his proposal is being attacked. 

It sounds like Bush ignored EVERYONE. 

I don't have a problem with people point out flaws in a plan, but Congress is a different story.  They passed numerous resolutions supporting the war.  I'd like to see them pass another resolution talking about how to fix whatever problems they see, particularly since the war gave the majorities in November. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »

I don't have a problem with people point out flaws in a plan, but Congress is a different story.  They passed numerous resolutions supporting the war.  I'd like to see them pass another resolution talking about how to fix whatever problems they see, particularly since the war gave the majorities in November. 

IMO, and it's not something i necessarily support, they would need 200K more troops and decalre total martial law.  then the US would have to turn their head to the new iraqi government's torture and repression methods Saddam used.

this is the only way i can see this working.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:36 AM »
She looks evil here:

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »

There is one group who would have advised 21,500 troops.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »
IMO, and it's not something i necessarily support, they would need 200K more troops and decalre total martial law.  then the US would have to turn their head to the new iraqi government's torture and repression methods Saddam used.

this is the only way i can see this working.

I'm leaning towards completing our training of Iraqi forces and police and scaling back.  But I don't have enough information.