Author Topic: Will Soccer ever make it in America?  (Read 10830 times)

body88

Will Soccer ever make it in America?
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:13:31 AM »
Why or why not? Would any of you  be willing to attend a game? I was not a fan until I attended a game

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
Re: Will Soccer ever make it in America?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »
hope not, it's boring
W

body88

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
hope not, it's boring

No more boring then baseball. Hockey is pretty boring also. Baseball in America is filled with passion and pride for ones team. I think if the same feeling could be applied to soccer it would work.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »
Baseball in America is filled with passion and pride for ones team. I think if the same feeling could be applied to soccer it would work.

Bingo! But it's not gonna happen, can't just start up something like that right away especially when people's alligence are with baseball and football.

In Europe there aren't any rivals for soccer's market, it's a different case in America.

body88

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »
Bingo! But it's not gonna happen, can't just start up something like that right away especially when people's alligence are with baseball and football.

In Europe there aren't any rivals for soccer's market, it's a different case in America.

Exactly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »
Uh . . . habla espanol?   :)  It is already apparently pretty huge in California, from a ratings standpoint.  As the Hispanic population continues to explode, the interest in soccer will continue to grow IMO. 

But I think it's dreadfully boring too. 

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:33 AM »
I play indoor soccer it is prett fun. I think that if it was taken seriously and people attended a game that most opinions would change

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »
I play softball every weekend and it's very fun.   :)  I doubt most people who didn't grow up watching soccer (and aren't transplants) will become fans of a game that often ends with a final score of 1-0. 

body88

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »
I play indoor soccer it is prett fun. I think that if it was taken seriously and people attended a game that most opinions would change

I agree, I attended a revs game and my opinion changed. If people would give it a chance they might be surprised.

body88

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
I play softball every weekend and it's very fun.   :)  I doubt most people who didn't grow up watching soccer (and aren't transplants) will become fans of a game that often ends with a final score of 1-0. 

This is a good point. I think there is talk of changing the rules for American Soccer to provide more scoring.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
Uh . . . habla espanol?   :)  It is already apparently pretty huge in California, from a ratings standpoint.  As the Hispanic population continues to explode, the interest in soccer will continue to grow IMO. 

But I think it's dreadfully boring too. 

Well there was a huge interest in the world cup here in NY. Everyone had something to say about Ziddane's headbutt.

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »
Yes

body88

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 10:09:15 AM »
Well there was a huge interest in the world cup here in NY. Everyone had something to say about Ziddane's headbutt.

Same deal here in Boston.....

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
any game you play is much more fun than watching it. soccer more so.  i played tons of soccer growing up and loved it.  i tried to watch one the world cup games last year.  the entire game no one scored.  and all the fans screaming their heads off.  i don't get it. 

Baseball can be slow, but not boring.  i love watching a good pitching duel. 
W

body88

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 10:41:50 AM »
any game you play is much more fun than watching it. soccer more so.  i played tons of soccer growing up and loved it.  i tried to watch one the world cup games last year.  the entire game no one scored.  and all the fans screaming their heads off.  i don't get it. 

Baseball can be slow, but not boring.  i love watching a good pitching duel. 

Good point, but the same could be said for a soccer fan, watching a baseball fan screaming his head of to a pitching duel ;)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »
Good point, but the same could be said for a soccer fan, watching a baseball fan screaming his head of to a pitching duel ;)

agreed.  i guess you just have to know how to watch the sport. 

then again, a pitching duel isn't very exciting. it's like going to an art gallery, it can be beautiful but not "edge of your seat."

BBing is the same way.  I've been to some shows that put me to sleep. 
W

body88

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 10:50:42 AM »
agreed.  i guess you just have to know how to watch the sport. 

then again, a pitching duel isn't very exciting. it's like going to an art gallery, it can be beautiful but not "edge of your seat."

BBing is the same way.  I've been to some shows that put me to sleep. 

You put it perfectly. If mls can get people to appreciate a fantastic goal the way American apprecite the art of a heated pitching duel, or a brilliant 50 yard rush, they will be in business.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »
I think yes it will one day. Isn't soccer the most popular partcipant sport it the States amongst school kids? These are the kids that MLS needs to go after and to keep them playing and supporting soccer past age 13/14.

More americans went to the World Cup in Germany last year than any previous wc. There's a fanbase there, it just needs building on. Beckham will help do this.

Oh yeah, in a couple of years you'll get sick to death of hearing about 'posh and becks' believe me

Looks like some are already  ;D

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »
I would bone her hard however annoying the bitch is!!

Ya with me?

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
It'll keep growing. More kids in the USA are playing it, those are the fans of tomorrow.
Add a latino fanbase.

The fact that it doesn't require to be a genetic beast to excel is important as well. Let's face it, blacks have a major advantage in basketball/am. football.
In soccer everyone can excell, so i expect it will become popular among asians, latino's and whites.
$

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
Never.

It boring.

Not enough scoring.

Americans like to score.

Score: touchdowns, baskets, weed, tail, etc...

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
Never.

It boring.

Not enough scoring.

Americans like to score.

Score: touchdowns, baskets, weed, tail, etc...

except after playing soccer you grow to love the game, it's not the biggest sport in the world for nothing.

watch it begin to dominate th US!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
take the typical new yorker,, at one time of the year your routing for either the mets or yankees,, in the fall you got the giants or the jets,, in the winter you got the nets or the nicks,, you  also got the islanders or the rangers,, on top of that you got all the college sports.. and thats the same for whatever city you live near

we just cant handle another sport

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
except after playing soccer you grow to love the game, it's not the biggest sport in the world for nothing.

watch it begin to dominate th US!!

ta ta

I hear ya.  I played football all my life so i can see what you mean.

Soccer will  never dominate in the US BTW. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »
any of you boys know if seattle has a team or detriot fuck if and state close to canada i would go to games