Author Topic: Anyone believe in Haunted Houses  (Read 25977 times)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Anyone believe in Haunted Houses
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
The error in many paranormalists' reasoning is to falsely suppose that a certain exclusive disjunction holds: either a ready-made scientific explanation is on hand for a supposedly paranormal event, or the paranormal explanation must be correct. So, if there isn't an immediate explanation on hand, it must be that ghosts exist, that that strange feeling is an ethereal aura of some sort, that the creaking is grandma coming up the steps because she doesn't know she's dead.

The problem is that the disjunction happens to be false: nothing whatever about grandma or ghosts follows from there not being a scientific explanation on hand for a given event*; secondly, there are pretty good scientific explanations on hand anyway (viz., those that explain such events in terms of the psychology of the witnesses); and thirdly, there's no reason to suppose that in cases with no current explanation, there won't be a viable one from a future iteration of science (e.g., maybe creepy auras are the result of streams of an as-of-yet undiscovered particle exciting certain parts of peoples' brain once they enter given areas, rather like radiated zones do the same).

*The religious hold a similarly silly disjunction where the non-science related disjunct is simply "GOD!!", "GOD did it," or some such. As such, they are similarly...ahem..."misguided."

Exactly.  Well said, as usual. Please everybody read and comprehend.  Am I hanging on thy nuts, my lord?
A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »

Good trolling post.

Paranormal activity (the movie) happened from 12 midnight to morning time.

Horror movies tend to happen at night, whether thats 1am, 12am, or 3am. It has more to do with the fact that its night-time, as opposed to a specific hour.

Second, show me the evidence that weird stuff happens between 3am-4am.

Oh, you can't.

So please shut up and stop trolling.
3am---that time frame was spoken of long before Paranormal Activity an all these other popular ghost shows.
Horror movies, horror shows especially now, in the Internet age, where everybody is God, makes it's money off of the feeling of not being so invulnerable...especiall y when one is sleep. Playing on well known tropes.
The Freddy Kruger Friday The 13th slasher movies plays upon this. Even the grandfather of all horror writing, Edgar Allen Poe, played upon the guilty conscience of men in "The Tell tale heart."

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »
The error in many paranormalists' reasoning is to falsely suppose that a certain exclusive disjunction holds: either a ready-made scientific explanation is on hand for a supposedly paranormal event, or the paranormal explanation must be correct. So, if there isn't an immediate explanation on hand, it must be that ghosts exist, that that strange feeling is an ethereal aura of some sort, that the creaking is grandma coming up the steps because she doesn't know she's dead.

The problem is that the disjunction happens to be false: nothing whatever about grandma or ghosts follows from there not being a scientific explanation on hand for a given event*; secondly, there are pretty good scientific explanations on hand anyway (viz., those that explain such events in terms of the psychology of the witnesses); and thirdly, there's no reason to suppose that in cases with no current explanation, there won't be a viable one from a future iteration of science (e.g., maybe creepy auras are the result of streams of an as-of-yet undiscovered particle exciting certain parts of peoples' brain once they enter given areas, rather like radiated zones do the same).

*The religious hold a similarly silly disjunction where the non-science related disjunct is simply "GOD!!", "GOD did it," or some such. As such, they are similarly...ahem..."misguided."
"Did you touch me?"
"No, I didn't touch you..."
"There is only two of us in the room, right?"
"Yeah, only two...why is the door closing?"
"Ok, who rigged the room...this shit isn't funny..."
"Hey, what the fuck, did you scratch me? WTH...dude!"
"I didn't touch you..."
"Why is you dog hiding under the bed?"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
3am---that time frame was spoken of long before Paranormal Activity an all these other popular ghost shows.
Horror movies, horror shows especially now, in the Internet age, where everybody is God, makes it's money off of the feeling of not being so invulnerable...especiall y when one is sleep. Playing on well known tropes.
The Freddy Kruger Friday The 13th slasher movies plays upon this. Even the grandfather of all horror writing, Edgar Allen Poe, played upon the guilty conscience of men in "The Tell tale heart."

ha, great, so you're evidence is a bunch of loonies walking around haunted houses at night? LMAO!!

Such credible evidence. Present some real evidence, then we can talk. However, I suspect that you can only provide anecdotal evidence, which is pretty weak.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
"Did you touch me?"
"No, I didn't touch you..."
"There is only two of us in the room, right?"
"Yeah, only two...why is the door closing?"
"Ok, who rigged the room...this shit isn't funny..."
"Hey, what the fuck, did you scratch me? WTH...dude!"
"I didn't touch you..."
"Why is you dog hiding under the bed?"

??? ???

Was this a conversation between 2 loony bins walking around with paranormal equipment?  ::) ::)
X

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

ha, great, so you're evidence is a bunch of loonies walking around haunted houses at night? LMAO!!

Such credible evidence. Present some real evidence, then we can talk. However, I suspect that you can only provide anecdotal evidence, which is pretty weak.
No, not my evidence...and how are they loonies? Are you going to school to be a psychologist? So, you've already made your conclusion already about a person...

Maybe if you don't believe you can try and disprove a place...or talk to curator of Truman University's museum who I believe is a medical doctor, and had that Dibbuk Box...read up on it.
I'm on the fence with a lot of stuff....it can be just as easy for someone to not believe, because it can set their mind at ease, "these things don't happen, these people are crazy."
Just as it's easy for some people (swol) to convince themselves that they are the most muscular person in the gym.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »

??? ???

Was this a conversation between 2 loony bins walking around with paranormal equipment?  ::) ::)
No, I made shit up...
But, you see how easy it is to come up with something, that almost gets someone else going...
 ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
No, not my evidence...and how are they loonies? Are you going to school to be a psychologist? So, you've already made your conclusion already about a person...

Maybe if you don't believe you can try and disprove a place...or talk to curator of Truman University's museum who I believe is a medical doctor, and had that Dibbuk Box...read up on it.
I'm on the fence with a lot of stuff....it can be just as easy for someone to not believe, because it can set their mind at ease, "these things don't happen, these people are crazy."
Just as it's easy for some people (swol) to convince themselves that they are the most muscular person in the gym.

I dont have to disprove anything. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim (same thing with theists making the argument that God exists). This is logic 101. I do not have to prove a negative.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
No, I made shit up...
But, you see how easy it is to come up with something, that almost gets someone else going...
 ;)

Sure, you made it up.  :-X
X

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »
I like you both, stop fighting.
A

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »

I dont have to disprove anything. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim (same thing with theists making the argument that God exists). This is logic 101. I do not have to prove a negative.
But, you just called two people (who you called loonies)...loonies. (Who are these people?) you already made your mind up.

Suppose someone invited you to a place, and not told you it was haunted, but that odd things happened there. Would you go? Would you go to a place that they told you was haunted, and shit did happen to you, would you dismiss it?

Yes, I know that is logic, but it also absolves you..."hey you loonies, until you provide proof...you are a bunch of fools." Meanwhile, you stand way back...avoid the place or places...laugh from afar...does it help the mind to shut out such things? Does it help the mind to rationalize that "I won't do jack to disprove a thing..." Because just in case something something is there, that something doesn't do anything to you?

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »

Hahahahaaaaa.

Lets have a debate...the parameters are I'M RIGHT because i say so...and  I don't have to prove it. You have to prove me wrong within a shadow of a doubt.

LOLOL....ok then  ::)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
there is no proof

only i know this guy etc

if that box was genuine it would be a world wide phenomena

man the fuck up soldiers

T

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
I have a motorcycle my dad gave me before he died every time I ride I get this strange feeling he he riding with me holding on like he held on along time before his death.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »

Hahahahaaaaa.

Lets have a debate...the parameters are I'M RIGHT because i say so...and  I don't have to prove it. You have to prove me wrong within a shadow of a doubt.

He's relaying the basic rules of examining something scientifically.
A

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »

Hahahahaaaaa.

Clearly you arnt familiar with the commonly accepted protocol, it is exactly as SF described

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »

Just want to point out that you have substituted one unknown conclusion, ghosts, for another in your example (unknown particles), yet you ascribe them different status. There are many explanations, the only way to know is one by one check them off via experimentation.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
there is no proof

only i know this guy etc

if that box was genuine it would be a world wide phenomena

man the fuck up soldiers

find the box...there were three owners of the box, aside from the dead 103 yr old woman.
One owner was a young man who apparently was a skeptic, and shit started happening to him. He got rid of the box.

Do you think people are going go all over the place talking about that damn wine box? They would be made fun of, and nobody would take them seriously.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Clearly you arnt familiar with the commonly accepted protocol, it is exactly as SF described

Commonly accpeted by whom exactly

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »
find the box...there were three owners of the box, aside from the dead 103 yr old woman.
One owner was a young man who apparently was a skeptic, and shit started happening to him. He got rid of the box.

Do you think people are going go all over the place talking about that damn wine box? They would be made fun of, and nobody would take them seriously.

come on mate

so you managed to hear about it but its a secret

use your mind

dont believe just cause you want to

if there was something like that in existence the whole world would know

fact
T

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Just want to point out that you have substituted one unknown conclusion, ghosts, for another in your example (unknown particles), yet you ascribe them different status. There are many explanations, the only way to know is one by one check them off via experimentation.

Yes this.

Have Syntax defend a narcotics trafficer with the defense that his client isn't guilty because there may be unknown magical benefits of cocaine and in the future it might be legal.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
hellz yes I believe in it  ;D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

Hahahahaaaaa.

I do not understand what is so funny?

I never said I was right. Just said I do not have to prove a negative. That is MUCH different than saying I am right. Where did you get that idea from? I may be 100% wrong that ghosts do not exist. And if presented with the evidence, I will admit that I am wrong. Thus, at this point I will say that there is no scientific evidence to believe that ghosts exist, though I will leave room for a small chance that I am wrong, given the evidence.

In my opinion, this is a logical approach, and one which should be undertaken by most people when examining any claim.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
He's relaying the basic rules of examining something scientifically.

You would think most people would know this. Its scary that people actually believe this is the wrong way to go about examining claims.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »

Apparently, he has an alternate way to examine claims.

Maybe he can win the Nobel Prize.
X