Author Topic: Why is drug use rampant in the construction industry  (Read 2330 times)

Balloon

• Getbig III
Why is drug use rampant in the construction industry
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:42:51 AM »
Bricklayers, plasterers, etc.....

coke seems to be the most popular choice.......is it because the manual labour is very tough, they need a "Kick" to get them through the day?

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Re: Why is drug use rampant in the construction industry
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:45 AM »
Those positions typically are filled by people that have spent their whole life in the construction industry.  They start out as laborers usually when they are young and have little ambition for school. They have the stamina to party all the time and still manage to work.  If they get into some legal issues, which happens a lot, this is the easiest job to get while on probation or parole.  By the time their probation is up they more than likely moved up a little on the construction chain and learned a trade.  Instead of starting with a whole new career they stick with what they know and make a decent living while continuing with drugs and alcohol.  Drugs and alcohol are expected in the bottom ranks of construction. Union jobs are more stringent but typically you have to get hurt or hurt someone else to get tested after your initial hiring drug screen.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:39:08 AM »
Bricklayers, plasterers, etc.....

coke seems to be the most popular choice.......is it because the manual labour is very tough, they need a "Kick" to get them through the day?

Many use heroin and are pill poppers. They also steal from the contruction sites---usually the home owners to support their habit. For Latinos it's the alcohol.
As another poster had said, they basically have a small amount of education, and have no other expertise in other fields...I've seen tons of stonemasons, carpenters, electricians, and laborers, who make GOOD money, but blow all of it on drugs...and steal from homeowners and pawn the items for drugs...it is far more rampant than you think...America is a drug addicted country. Many contruction workers will take a lunch break and snort some crushed up pills, then go back to work---snatch a purse, jewelry or other item, or go thru the homeowners medicine cabinet (hence one of the reasons why I wondered why fallacies asked to see what is someone's medicine cabinet), and use their pills.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:57:44 AM »
That reminds me.  Need to load the next job 20% to pay for my coke habit and lawyer.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
Ironworkers don't use drugs.

::)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »
I would say outby43 hit the nail on the head.  It's kind of a double edge sword though hiring these guys.  I have a few, and they work cheap, and it makes it possible to stay in business in these tough times, but most of the time they cause headache becasue you can't get them to come to work.  I was thinking about giving them $1 to a $1 loans on a daily basis.  I know some would do it, it's pretty sad.  The average american does not want to work, they want to complain about lack of available jobs and collect unemployment.  I am always looking for labor, and I start out my guys at $11hr with no experience, and still can't get steady help.  For every four dudes that roll through, I keep one long term.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
and still can't get steady help. 
$11/hr  ,that's why.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
$11/hr  ,that's why.

Beleive me, I've paid $17 an hour and it's the same dude(figurativley).  I can't afford to pay $20-$25 an hour for unskilled labor.  Hell, Davis Bacon wage act is only $10.88hr.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Beleive me, I've paid $17 an hour and it's the same dude(figurativley).  I can't afford to pay $20-$25 an hour for unskilled labor.  Hell, Davis Bacon wage act is only $10.88hr.

You can pay $50.00 an hour and it would be the same story.  Most of these American laborers are losers.  They get enough money to get them by for a while and then lay off of work for a while.  Then they may come back with some hard luck story only to make it to work for a couple of weeks and disappear again.  Same cycle with these guys.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49:49 AM »
Drug use is rampant in a lot of industries...

In construction like other fields (i.e. restaurant/nightlife/bar) you get a lot of dumbfucks who live to party. Then you get the guys who get hurt and get addicted to pain killers.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
The average american does not want to work, they want to complain about lack of available jobs and collect unemployment. 

Spot on. It's like that South Park episode "they toook errrr jobbbss"

Perfect example. I know a lot of out of work union guys...electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters...etc.
I'm at my local cigar bar, smoking and bullshitting with the guys. There's a guy asking the laid off electrician how much he would charge to install 6 can lights in his new addition and do some additional wiring and informs him that he already got a quote of such and such price. The dumbfuck union electrician responds " Go with the other guy then"

I'm thinking to myself wtf. You stupid fuck. Who turns down off the book tax free cash flow ??

Here's the fucking problem...especially in Chicagoland where unions are everywhere.

These stupid motherfuckers who are in a union of thousands of members expect to get paid 6 figure salaries, get all the over time they want, benefits...etc.

Labor union guys are not supposed to be making close to 6 figures. I've worked in construction as a teen and through college. All the union guys think their trade is the most valuable and untouchable skill on earth. There's no way it is sustainble for these unions to keep demanding wages and benefits from builders and contractors who want to build something.
Tradionally, labor union jobs were for the guys that were too stupid for college, guys that couldn't afford college, didn't want to go..etc.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
I work construction and only work with guys with the very best reputations, so I luckily never deal with the problems other guys have mentioned in this thread. Some of the tradesmen may not have finished a high level of schooling but they are still extreemly knowledgable in the math, physics, etc.. skills that are needed for certain jobs. Its pretty sad that the actions of some construction workers have caused our industry to earn titles reserved for most car dealers, lawyers or politicians.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
. Its pretty sad that the actions of some construction workers have caused our industry to earn titles reserved for most car dealers, lawyers or politicians.

!

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
I'm thinking to myself wtf. You stupid fuck. Who turns down off the book tax free cash flow ??

Some one with ethics?...not declaring income is unethical...

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
Some one with ethics?...not declaring income is unethical...

Depends on the person's ethics i suppose. What good is it for a company like GE to declare profits of 16 billion and paying zero income taxes...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »
I do not think GE is ethical...