Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads
Christian vs Roman Catholic debate on Mary
<< < (2/10) > >>
Sizwe:
Thanks for that tbombz, as a Roman Catholic I found Man of Steels post a bit offensively ignorant, and those sorts of falsehoods simply get passed around and from one generation to the next without checking the facts or asking WHY Catholics believe what they do..thank you for taking the time to do so and doing justice by righting the wrongs.
Sizwe:

--- Quote from: Man of Steel on November 08, 2015, 06:00:41 PM ---I like Dr. White a lot.

I own and have read his book "The Roman Catholic Controversy".

In short, Catholics are not Christians and Christians are not Catholics.

--- End quote ---

Even though this man has read and studied the Bible so much, he seems to lack charity.. Interesting how his sister is now Roman Catholic..
Man of Steel:

--- Quote from: Sizwe on November 11, 2015, 02:20:38 AM ---Thanks for that tbombz, as a Roman Catholic I found Man of Steels post a bit offensively ignorant, and those sorts of falsehoods simply get passed around and from one generation to the next without checking the facts or asking WHY Catholics believe what they do..thank you for taking the time to do so and doing justice by righting the wrongs.

--- End quote ---

I'd be happy for you to explain your position and educate me more on the RCC.  I'm certainly no expert on Catholicism and I don't want to insult or offend you either.

I would like to understand more about the catechism, penance, venial and mortal sins, papal succession, the authority of the teaching magisterium, the infallible decrees of the papacy, Mary as mediatrix, purgatory, priestly absolution, faith plus works v faith alone in Christ and other such topics.

If you would please provide any scriptural basis for these and others topics you'd like to discuss so it helps me better understand them.  I won't add anything else in this so that you can represent the basis of your faith as it seems most appropriate without the clouding of my perspective.

When you can of course.

Further, I am not anti-Catholic LOL, but it's certainly possible for me to be ignorant on various topics!  I just make a clear distinction.  I want all my current Catholic brothers and sisters to deny works of men and simply claim Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior!
Man of Steel:

--- Quote from: tbombz on November 10, 2015, 08:44:52 PM ---I have to, respectfully, disagree with my brother Man of Steel on this issue.

Roman Catholics confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in their hearts that God raised Him from the dead. They believe in the Trinity, and they believe that salvation is by grace through faith in the finished work of Christ. They only worship the Trinity, and no one or nothing else.

There are many Roman Catholics who deviate from official Roman Catholic teaching, and who engage in idolatry regarding Mary and other Saints, etc. However, this is not the official teaching of the Vatican.

I do not know whether Mary was preserved from sin, or whether she was assumed bodily into Heaven, or whether she has been given some special role in Heaven related to intercessory prayer.

What I do know is that any special position or blessing that Mary possesses is not due to her own power, but due solely to the grace and mercy of God. And Roman Catholics accept this, too.

As for "praying to the Saints, and to Mary"... I think this, and many other Roman Catholic traditions,  are misunderstood by most Protestants.
First, I think the official teaching of the Roman Catholic church is not that people should pray to Mary and the Saints, but that people should ask Mary and the Saints to pray for them... in the same way that a person might ask their Pastor to pray for them. (this line of reasoning goes like this: If a Pastor who is on earth has powerful prayer, how much more powerful are the prayers of those who are in Heaven.)

Personally, I am, by default, technically a "Protestant" (because I am neither Roman Catholic nor Eastern Orthodox). But I really hate being called a Protestant. I dont think of myself as a protestor. Rather, I am 'non-denominational', both catholic and orthodox, simply Christian. Yet, I have an extremely high respect for the traditional doctrines of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox faiths. I do find that upon deep meditation, and even surface readings, that the Bible much more agrees with their beliefs than it does Protestant ones.

So this is one area where I think you will find even conservative Christian fundamentalists disagree with each other about. Fortunately, I do not believe that any of them are salvation issues.

--- End quote ---

It's all good.   ;)   I also like to identify as a Christian or follower in Christ, but if forced to associate I'd most certainly be a Protestant.

Different church denominations worship God differently, but above all else they put Christ first above their traditions.

I take issue with those churches that invent doctrine and make it equal with scripture and God's authority.  

Still I've met many Catholics that love the Lord and claim him as Savior.  I'm not here to doubt them.  I've also met Muslims that love Islam, but don't follow the Quran or Hadith to the letter, but they don't oppose it either.
Man of Steel:

--- Quote from: Sizwe on November 11, 2015, 02:34:29 AM ---Even though this man has read and studied the Bible so much, he seems to lack charity.. Interesting how his sister is now Roman Catholic..

--- End quote ---

Christ said that he came to divide mother from daughter, father from son, brother from sister.  He came with a sword to collect his church.

Matthew 10:34-36

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

Notable Christian apologist Matt Slick's oldest daughter left her Christian faith that she was raised in and adopted atheism in her early 20s.  Just because a man or woman is a theologian, religious scholar or minister doesn't mean their children will claim Christ as Lord and Savior or adopt their parent's faith and theology.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version