Author Topic: crazy hammer curl wieght  (Read 7213 times)

derrock

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
crazy hammer curl wieght
« on: September 06, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »
 Just wondering why I can use 70 lb dumbells for 6 reps on hammer curls curling to your chest with prety good form, not arching  or anything. But barbell curls are hard to get 6 or 7 with 105 lbs for me. why can I use so much more weight?

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Re: crazy hammer curl wieght
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:20:24 PM »
that sounds about right, 70lb. db's ain't that much on hammers due to the way your wrist and hand is positioned allows for good weight to be handled but when your hands are supinated or palms facing up it makes it much harder, i wouldn't brag on hammers until i got to at least 90's.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »
so there is rights to brag then? so hammer curls with the 140s are good??
bodybuildersreality.com

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »
the outer bicep head is bigger then the inner head. I've noticed that to.. I can do  10reps with the 115s and can curl 70s.. thats a huge differance in weight

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »
haha you guys always crack me up with your little warm up weights.
just push some weight!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 04:56:14 PM »
haha you guys always crack me up with your little warm up weights.
::) oook buddy. A warm up set is a light weight for a higher reps. I can't imagine you do that with 115lbs dumbell even for shrugs the way you look.
bodybuildersreality.com

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
::) oook buddy. A warm up set is a light weight for a higher reps. I can't imagine you do that with 115lbs dumbell even for shrugs the way you look.

Peace of cake!
just push some weight!

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:38:43 PM »
i dont werm up with hammer curls. i do hammers last in the workout..

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
i dont werm up with hammer curls. i do hammers last in the workout..

Then you are just naturally weak. Not to worry I can fix that for you. Here is what you do. Start out with heavy barbell curls, followed by heavy dumbell alternate curls, then heavy sitting silmitaneous dumbell curls. Finish it off with preachers and concentration curls. Afterwards you may do some hammers. Do 6 sets of 4-10 reps of each exercise.
just push some weight!

derrock

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Hey, I'm not braging about 70 lbs, I was just wondering why I could do that much more wieght then barbell. I cuould'nt do 140 once with a bar. And 90's ar not far-I've only done hammers like that twice.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:42 PM »
Hey, I'm not braging about 70 lbs, I was just wondering why I could do that much more wieght then barbell. I cuould'nt do 140 once with a bar. And 90's ar not far-I've only done hammers like that twice.

thats what i do.bb curls, standing Alt. curls, preacher curls and hammer curls. thats like a standard bis workout b/c there not alot of you can do these four movements

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 02:36:04 AM »
ALexx bro, are you doing 6 sest per bi exercise and doing 4 exercises, so ur doing 24 sets for ur bis's bro??Just curious if id read that right.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:47:40 AM »
ALexx bro, are you doing 6 sest per bi exercise and doing 4 exercises, so ur doing 24 sets for ur bis's bro??Just curious if id read that right.

davie

His just a little bitch attention whore
Money drugs and bitches

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:19:21 AM »
@ TS

Why perform hammercurls at all? That's an excercise that you have to perform once every two weeks, or even once a month.
The hammercurl doesn't have that much additional value compared to other curls.

And why you're able to use a hell lot of more weight? Cause you're using other muscles. The bicep is also involved, but it's not the main-target.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »

davie

No but I used to. The beginers need to go through torturous workouts before than can advance to my state.
just push some weight!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 08:17:31 AM »
Advancing to Alexxx's state would be like going into a state of serious self delusion. I like to refer to Alexxx as Triple X, the future coming of Arnold, Coleman & Sergio all rolled up in one complete package. The Legend, The Man, The Myth....can I hear a amen!!!

If you look at the function of the forearms/wrist, when doing a hammer curl, you can get a good idea why much more weight can be used in that exercise over a regular DB curl. Remembering that one of the functions of the bicep is to twist the forearms/wrist. If you turn the DB and contract the biceps a bit nearing the top position you will have a more effective arm movement. If you keep the thumps up position at the finisher  (top) of the curl it will tend to be less affective for most people.

Another bicep builder that doesn't seem to be done much anymore is the Zotterman curl. Hits the biceps and forearms at a different angle with some respectable results. Good Luck.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 08:37:14 AM »
Advancing to Alexxx's state would be like going into a state of serious self delusion. I like to refer to Alexxx as Triple X, the future coming of Arnold, Coleman & Sergio all rolled up in one complete package. The Legend, The Man, The Myth....can I hear a amen!!!

If you look at the function of the forearms/wrist, when doing a hammer curl, you can get a good idea why much more weight can be used in that exercise over a regular DB curl. Remembering that one of the functions of the bicep is to twist the forearms/wrist. If you turn the DB and contract the biceps a bit nearing the top position you will have a more effective arm movement. If you keep the thumps up position at the finisher  (top) of the curl it will tend to be less affective for most people.

Another bicep builder that doesn't seem to be done much anymore is the Zotterman curl. Hits the biceps and forearms at a different angle with some respectable results. Good Luck.

I thank you but don't forget I have the symmetry of a young Flex Wheeler!
just push some weight!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »
You been posting pics recently. id love to take a look (not in a homosexual way before anyone suggests that)??

davie

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 08:48:40 AM »
You been posting pics recently. id love to take a look (not in a homosexual way before anyone suggests that)??

davie

Not until I reach my goal of 250 pounds at 5% natural.
just push some weight!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 08:50:27 AM »
What are ur stats at the mo??
Whenc an we expect to see these pics?

davie

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »
What are ur stats at the mo??
Whenc an we expect to see these pics?

davie

I am currently down to a lean 220pds and am gaining at a rapid pace.  In a couple of months I should reach my goal.
just push some weight!

derrock

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 09:32:03 AM »
How tall are you Alexxx?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 09:47:51 AM »
How tall are you Alexxx?

1" 1/2 - 2" taller than Arnold. ;)
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »
1" 1/2 - 2" taller than Arnold. ;)

But a 12" shorter than Yao Ming

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »
Then you are just naturally weak. Not to worry I can fix that for you. Here is what you do. Start out with heavy barbell curls, followed by heavy dumbell alternate curls, then heavy sitting silmitaneous dumbell curls. Finish it off with preachers and concentration curls. Afterwards you may do some hammers. Do 6 sets of 4-10 reps of each exercise.
Thats too much work for a small muscle group.
bodybuildersreality.com