Author Topic: Experiences with Lisinopril?  (Read 3571 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Experiences with Lisinopril?
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
I started the drug about 5 days ago, I have had issues with higher BP for about 2 years now. I was on Benicar for about 2 weeks last year, I got off it when the side effects were starting to get nasty. I am only on 5 mgs. of the Lisinopril, which seems pretty small. I just don't know if what I am experiencing is due to the drug or I am having deeper medical problems from letting the BP go too long.

All of a sudden, whether it is weights or cardio, my heart rate starts beating fast and hard, from something that should really not be that strenuous. I don't like it, it is freaking me out. I think it might be because of the high BP, but it is strange I am having this effect, when the level of intensity I'm describing didn't do this to me like a few weeks ago. Guess I shouldn't have let it go as long as I did. Unless it's the medicine. Any other experiences with it good or bad?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Experiences with Lisinopril?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
Don't want this to fall under the heading of Dead Man Walking, but you might want to see your doc first thing. Why you would go to this BB'ing site and ask serious medical question is beyond me.  At lease do a deeper search on the meds you are taking or hook up to a Q&A medical site. People have deadly reactions to different meds all the time. The ER's are full of them. Good Luck.
F

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
Not looking for advice, just seeing if anyone else had experiences with it.  The BP is down, so it may very well be a reaction from the med.  I really don't believe in taking BP med at all, but it seems like the alternative is worse if it goes untreated.  I have went the cardio route and tried all kinds of natural supps to get it down, but not much seems to help.  Anyway, I am waiting to talk to him tro see what he says.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
Lisinopril should lower your blood pressure significantly. If you were at 145/91, 5 mg. should bring you down to 135/89 or so.

Lisinopril can make you a bit tired and give you a dry cough. You may need to lower your bodyfat a bit to naturally lower your BP (especially bellyfat)

Now, as far as the palpitations or whatever--my personal opinion and experience (I'm not a physician) is to check into anxiety issues. You are worried about your BP. Think about the other things you may be subconsciously worried about: Aging? Dying? Fainting? Not having achieved what you thought you were going to achieve?

You may be having mild "panic attacks"... it could also be exercise related palpitations. These conditions are common, and oddly enough, exercise is good for you. Thyroid hormone levels can also exacerbate palpitations..

Lisinopril probably is not responsible for what you are feeling. You may have some issues with anxiety or even depression. If you had a choice, anxiety would be easier to deal with. Your mindset sometimes can be controlled through counseling and things like meditation, or even drugs like Xanax.

Depression, on the other hand, can get real ugly.

Don't Google too much, just go have a "heart-to-heart" with your GP. Request a full blood panel, maybe wear the 24 hour heart rate monitor. The doc will have you take notes as to when you feel the palpitations and then read the monitor to associate the issues.

You'll be fine. In the meantime, try and relax.

mombasa3

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
Just got off Benicar myself and started Lisinopril again.  I have not had any problems.  Been treated for high blood pressure for the past 33 years....no kidding.  Just stay on your meds and don't get off.  I was hospitalized twice for getting off of them.  Good luck.

pugalist666

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:50:59 AM »
Lisinopril= guaranteed cancer

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
It's hard to know what the bloody heck to think.  I know this goes against Mombasa's advice, but I have gone off the Lisinopril for several days now, mainly just to see if I felt any better during the workout.  Got the doc's okay on it.  I think the only thing the Lisinopril affected was post-workout.  BP tends to be a little lower at that time plus with the effects of the med, I think the heart was acting strange because it was not used to it being that low.  I'm undecided yet if I should go back on the med.  I know it's nothing to mess around with, but I was only on it for 7 days,.  The BP is definitely up again though.  Just frustrating because I am really not that obese.  I could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds of fat, but my diet is already pretty clean, so I don't know what other changes can be made.  It really seems to spike during training and I feel crappy.  That was happening even when on the med.

As far as anxiety, a lot of people have mentioned this and while it is certainly possible, I kind of doubt it.  I don't have too much to be stressed about, other than my own health.  High BP in itself it seems is not the disease, but a symptom of something else.  I'm seeing a homeopathic guy too to try to get to the bottom of all this.  He seems to think it might be something to do with the adrenal glands or possible allergy.  In the past I have had periods like a month or so where I feel fine and aren't getting any symptoms at all, then out of the clear blue they just appear again, without seeming rhyme or reason.  Quite frustrating not being able to lift like I want.

Mombasa, have you found there are any types of supps you can't use while being on the meds?  This maybe wasn't smart, but I had some coffee not too far apart form having the med when I was taking it and had some heart pain (think it was from that, or else just the body getting used to the med).

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
"Your own health" isn't something to be stressed about?

Check into it.