Author Topic: Jihadists shouting "Allahu akbar" murder 13 customs agents  (Read 17288 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Jihadists shouting "Allahu akbar" murder 13 customs agents
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »
So you're going to "refute" the fact that chronic marijuana use does not erode the gray matter (hippocamus, not sure if this is the correct spelling or terminology)?  Give me a minute, I'm sure I can google up a study real quick.   You lose all credibility with me if you even remotely disagree with this. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
Here's an article that sums up my argument of erosion of the gray matter portion of the brain:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2576305&dopt=Abstract

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 11:15:56 AM »
Here's another article (note where this came from - you should already know this being the genious that you are):

Chronic Cannabis Abuse Raises Nerve Growth Factor Serum Concentrations in Drug-Naive Schizophrenic Patients
Maria C. Jockers-ScherüBl
maria.jockers@medizin.fu-berlin.de

Uta Matthies

Heidi Danker-Hopfe

Undine E. Lang

Richard Mahlberg

Rainer Hellweg

Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite-University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany

Long-term cannabis abuse may increase the risk of schizophrenia. Nerve growth factor (NGF) is a pleiotropic neurotrophic protein that is implicated in development, protection and regeneration of NFG-sensitive neurones. We tested the hypothesis that damage to neuronal cells in schizophrenia is precipitated by the consumption of cannabis and other neurotoxic substances, resulting in raised NGF serum concentrations and a younger age for disease onset. The NGF serum levels of 109 consecutive drug-naive schizophrenic patients were measured and compared with those of healthy controls. The results were correlated with the long-term intake of cannabis and other illegal drugs. Mean (± SD) NGF serum levels of 61 control persons (33.1 ± 31.0 pg/ml) and 76 schizophrenics who did not consume illegal drugs (26.3 ± 19.5 pg/ml) did not differ significantly. Schizophrenic patients with regular cannabis intake (> 0.5 g on average per day for at least 2 years) had significantly raised NGF serum levels of 412.9 ± 288.4 pg/ml (n = 21) compared to controls and schizophrenic patients not consuming cannabis (p < 0.001). In schizophrenic patients who abused not only cannabis, but also additional substances, NGF concentrations were as high as 2336.2 ± 1711.4 pg/ml (n = 12). On average, heavy cannabis consumers suffered their first episode of schizophrenia 3.5 years (n = 21) earlier than schizophrenic patients who abstained from cannabis. These results indicate that cannabis is a possible risk factor for the development of schizophrenia. This might be reflected in the raised NGF-serum concentrations when both schizophrenia and long-term cannabis abuse prevail.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »
Here's an article that sums up my argument of erosion of the gray matter portion of the brain:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2576305&dopt=Abstract

Try READING the study before posting it...

Test results did not suggest that chronic THC exposure produced behavioral deficits resembling those seen following hippocampal damage. Habituation rates in an activity monitor were identical for all exposure groups, and there was no passive avoidance retention deficit. Further, while TMT caused pronounced abnormalities in the complex maze, chronic THC exposure at the two highest dose levels significantly improved maze performance, similar to BZ effects on this task.

Exposure to THC(Chemical in marijuana) IMPROVED maze performance!

::)

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »
Here's another article (note where this came from - you should already know this being the genious that you are):

Chronic Cannabis Abuse Raises Nerve Growth Factor Serum Concentrations in Drug-Naive Schizophrenic Patients
Maria C. Jockers-ScherüBl
maria.jockers@medizin.fu-berlin.de

Uta Matthies

Heidi Danker-Hopfe

Undine E. Lang

Richard Mahlberg

Rainer Hellweg

Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite-University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany

Long-term cannabis abuse may increase the risk of schizophrenia. Nerve growth factor (NGF) is a pleiotropic neurotrophic protein that is implicated in development, protection and regeneration of NFG-sensitive neurones. We tested the hypothesis that damage to neuronal cells in schizophrenia is precipitated by the consumption of cannabis and other neurotoxic substances, resulting in raised NGF serum concentrations and a younger age for disease onset. The NGF serum levels of 109 consecutive drug-naive schizophrenic patients were measured and compared with those of healthy controls. The results were correlated with the long-term intake of cannabis and other illegal drugs. Mean (± SD) NGF serum levels of 61 control persons (33.1 ± 31.0 pg/ml) and 76 schizophrenics who did not consume illegal drugs (26.3 ± 19.5 pg/ml) did not differ significantly. Schizophrenic patients with regular cannabis intake (> 0.5 g on average per day for at least 2 years) had significantly raised NGF serum levels of 412.9 ± 288.4 pg/ml (n = 21) compared to controls and schizophrenic patients not consuming cannabis (p < 0.001). In schizophrenic patients who abused not only cannabis, but also additional substances, NGF concentrations were as high as 2336.2 ± 1711.4 pg/ml (n = 12). On average, heavy cannabis consumers suffered their first episode of schizophrenia 3.5 years (n = 21) earlier than schizophrenic patients who abstained from cannabis. These results indicate that cannabis is a possible risk factor for the development of schizophrenia. This might be reflected in the raised NGF-serum concentrations when both schizophrenia and long-term cannabis abuse prevail.

This study doesn't set out to prove cannabis causes schizophrenia just that users who will already get schizophrenia suffer a relaps earlier than those who don't use.

The study is flawed in many ways.

For instance Correlation does not indicate causation. Just because they happened to use marijuana prior to having schizophrenia does not indicate marijuana CAUSED it. Another likely explanation is the fact that people with schizophrenia are more likely to use it than those without it.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »

Try READING the study before posting it...

Exposure to THC(Chemical in marijuana) IMPROVED maze performance!

::)

Point taken.  I didn't read this whole article.  <---  See?  That wasn't so hard to admit when you're wrong about a particular article, is it?  You should try it sometime.   :P  lol  Seriously though, Johnny, you KNOW that there are tons of studies out there to prove you wrong.  I saw you just tried to negate the other article I sent as well.  Again, it's just outright prideful/stubborn what you are doing.  Carry on, my son. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 11:39:58 AM »
Quote from: Johnny Apollo

This study doesn't set out to prove cannabis causes schizophrenia just that users who will already get schizophrenia suffer a relaps earlier than those who don't use.

The study is flawed in many ways.

For instance Correlation does not indicate causation. Just because they happened to use marijuana prior to having schizophrenia does not indicate marijuana CAUSED it. Another likely explanation is the fact that people with schizophrenia are more likely to use it than those without it.

What about depression, slowed reflexes, lung damage, etc?  You're telling me that chronic use of marijuana does not have any negative impact whatsoever on the the brain, nervous system, or lungs?  None whatsoever?

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
What about depression, slowed reflexes, lung damage, etc?  You're telling me that chronic use of marijuana does not have any negative impact whatsoever on the the brain, nervous system, or lungs?  None whatsoever?
I bet it reduces the size of the sacs in your lungs, hence reducing your oxygen intake so doing the STEPMILL is much harder! ;D

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »

Impacts? Yes!

Negative impacts? No!

Chemicals in marijuana INCREASE braincell growth

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20051015/fob7.asp

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309

Marijuana has also been used to TREAT depression due to the chemicals in it that relieve depression.

The studies are conflicting due to the Bias in society because Marijuana is illegal and has a cultural sigma attatched to it. Many studies that aren't double-blind come to conclusions based on the expectations of the researchers due to current stigma around marijuana. Studies that ARE double blind where neither the patients or researchers know which is placebo and which are real are more reliable and show marijuana is extremly safe.

Marijuana like any drug can be dangerous if extremly abused. Although no one has ever died from marijuana...Side effects such as slow mental response can occur after YEARS of extreme ABUSE. It's alot like many medications where moderate doses can BENEFIT the user where extreme doses can harm the user.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 10:12:25 PM »
i'm sensitive to weed...1 hit wonder...1 hit and i'm sleeping for a good 12 to 14 hours...

i once missed my own fucking party because of it..i fell asleep in the car till friends found me in the morning  >:(
carpe` vaginum!