Author Topic: Why Believe in Religion?  (Read 6446 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Why Believe in Religion?
« on: April 30, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Why do you subscribe to a doctrine of faith and religous ideals? Why not be spiritual but not religous? 

Johnny Apollo

Re: Why Believe in Religion?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 04:02:11 PM »
People do it for different reasons.

1.They were raised that way and don't have the smarts to stop being religious.

2.They are weak and fear death so they convince themselves there is life after death.

3.They are weak and need a crutch in life. I.E. a big bearded guy in the sky watching over them.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »
although those might be valid points, there must be other reasons.  How many have that inate feeling of being with God in their daily lives and why?  Im not knocking those that believe in religion, but just curious as to their views.  Why do they think that their religion is the one?

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »
Why do you subscribe to a doctrine of faith and religous ideals? Why not be spiritual but not religous? 

Catholic girls put out. It is a righteous experience.  ;)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »

simple..
1)cause you r afraid to die..
2) you believw what people taught you since childhood

if most people were brought up without the idea of god instilled..they would not  eveer think of it
carpe` vaginum!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
Most people still believe in religion becuase they stopped asking questions and surrendered common sense and "thinking" to their preist or pastor.

Every day however the negative side of organized religion gets exposed mre and more for what it is.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »
For posterity...

Christianity=Religion

"Relationship with jesus"=Religion...Or you could call it mental illness. Your choice really.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 01:11:18 PM »
i was just curious.  I just don't agree that there is just one right religion.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »

I don't subscribe to a doctrine of faith.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 05:11:25 PM »
I don't subscribe to a doctrine of faith.

New Testament=Doctrine

It's subscribed to via Faith.(Since definitly not history)

Thus if you believe in the NT you "subscribe" to a doctrine of faith.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:30:11 AM »
although those might be valid points, there must be other reasons.  How many have that inate feeling of being with God in their daily lives and why?  Im not knocking those that believe in religion, but just curious as to their views.  Why do they think that their religion is the one?

Hi Migs.  Thank you for your questions and respectful attitude. :)

In my opinion, the acceptance of Jesus as Savior results in a feeling of tremendous freedom and joy, knowing that my sins..past, present and future are forgiven.  Does this mean it's OK for me to live like crap?  No.  I believe we get disciplined for sins even if we are forgiven.

I believe the bible is correct mainly because of how my feelings and life changed when I accepted Jesus as Savior.  But for more empirical reasons, I'd have to point to the 100% accuracy of bibical prophecy. 

Details of Jesus' birth, life and death are covered in the Old Testament.  And I can't remember what the chances are of someone fulfilling all of those as He did, but I think it's something like one in one quadrillion. 

In addition, there is prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled, such as (among other things) the "Mark of the Beast" system where a person will not be able to buy or sell w/o the "Mark" but we do have the technology at present.  Sometime I'll post more later on this. :)

All that being said, I don't really consider belief in the bible being true as a "religion."  To me, and "religion" is something man-made with different rituals one must follow to gain or attain salvation.  Christianity is more of a belief IMO.

R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
Thanks Stella for your views.  I understand that you have a "feeling of joy and freedom."  I personally Believe in jesus, however I don't think that everything in the bible is 100% accurate.  After all, it was written by the hand of man.  I agree that religion is a man-made thing and that religion is around because people need something greater than themsleves to believe in.  Your opinion is that Christianity is more a belief, but there are many that believe that Christianity is a religion.  I personally don't think that if you are a Jew, Mormon or Buddhist that you will go to hell.  My view is that if you are a good persona dn try to help humanity then you will go to heaven.  Whether it exists is another question. 

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
In my opinion, the acceptance of Jesus as Savior results in a feeling of tremendous freedom and joy, knowing that my sins..past, present and future are forgiven.  Does this mean it's OK for me to live like crap?  No.  I believe we get disciplined for sins even if we are forgiven.

I believe the bible is correct mainly because of how my feelings and life changed when I accepted Jesus as Savior.  But for more empirical reasons, I'd have to point to the 100% accuracy of bibical prophecy.

You're arguing from emotion/feeling here.

"The bible is true because it makes me feel good to beleive it's true!" This isn't a logical statement.

It's like me saying..

"The bible is false because of the feeling I get when I don't believe it's true."

It isn't logical. 

Details of Jesus' birth, life and death are covered in the Old Testament.  And I can't remember what the chances are of someone fulfilling all of those as He did, but I think it's something like one in one quadrillion. 

First of all...The details of Jesus's birth were made up from earlier pagan myths. The virgin conception existed in pagan mythology THOUSANDS of years before it was even written in the old testament.

Second of all..Have you ever heard of the term "Self fulfilling prophecy"? The authors of the New testament made it seem like jesus was the messiah and then attributed those events to his life. Miracles,Virgin conception..ect. You can't believe they're true just because the authors of the N.T. claim they are!

Think logically!

In addition, there is prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled, such as (among other things) the "Mark of the Beast" system where a person will not be able to buy or sell w/o the "Mark" but we do have the technology at present.  Sometime I'll post more later on this. :)

Is this a joke? Don't tell me you're "one of those people". Judgement day fanatics!

The "mark of the Beast" comes from the Roman empire. Nero Caesar was "the beast". 666 is hebrew numericals for "nero Caesar". In hebrew(and greek) numbers represent letters and when added up to 666 letters that are spelled out are "Nwr Qsr"(Latin form of Nero Caesar)

::)

All that being said, I don't really consider belief in the bible being true as a "religion."  To me, and "religion" is something man-made with different rituals one must follow to gain or attain salvation.  Christianity is more of a belief IMO.

You're saying this because you don't want to be included among the rest of the thousands of religions.

Christianity has rituals BTW.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »
You're arguing from emotion/feeling here.

"The bible is true because it makes me feel good to beleive it's true!" This isn't a logical statement.

It's like me saying..

"The bible is false because of the feeling I get when I don't believe it's true."

It isn't logical. 

I guess I missed the part where Migs stipulated that my answer must be "LOGICAL according to anyone."

First of all...The details of Jesus's birth were made up from earlier pagan myths. The virgin conception existed in pagan mythology THOUSANDS of years before it was even written in the old testament.

Second of all..Have you ever heard of the term "Self fulfilling prophecy"? The authors of the New testament made it seem like jesus was the messiah and then attributed those events to his life. Miracles,Virgin conception..ect. You can't believe they're true just because the authors of the N.T. claim they are!

I'm surprised that someone of your "google-prowess" can't find anything that authenticates the actual and true life of Jesus Christ.

Is this a joke? Don't tell me you're "one of those people". Judgement day fanatics!

The "mark of the Beast" comes from the Roman empire. Nero Caesar was "the beast". 666 is hebrew numericals for "nero Caesar". In hebrew(and greek) numbers represent letters and when added up to 666 letters that are spelled out are "Nwr Qsr"(Latin form of Nero Caesar)

You're saying this because you don't want to be included among the rest of the thousands of religions.

Christianity has rituals BTW.
Uh, no.  I'm not joking about the possibility/probability of the "Mark of the Beast."  Enjoy your "numbers representations, etc." but be prepared if you're still living during the implemenation of the system.

But there is one thing you're right about....I DON'T want to be included among the rest of the thousands of religions..,.especially those that require certain "acts" and "works" TO be included and accepted.
R

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »
I guess I missed the part where Migs stipulated that my answer must be "LOGICAL according to anyone."

As long as you admit it isn't logical... ;)

I'm surprised that someone of your "google-prowess" can't find anything that authenticates the actual and true life of Jesus Christ.

Read carefully...

I'm not denying the existence of Jesus. Maybe he existed. Maybe he didn't. The historical evidence is slim but it's a possiblity.

What I AM denying is the fact that jesus's life exactly resembles the mythology of ealrier pagan gods.
Horus the egyptian God was born to a virgin,did miracles,Died on a cross and rose from the dead. This myth is thousands of years older than when the old testament was written.

The authors of the N.T. made Jesus out to be some kind of divine superbeing and stole myths from ealrier religions to attribute to him.(The authors of the N.T. never even saw jesus).

Uh, no.  I'm not joking about the possibility/probability of the "Mark of the Beast."  Enjoy your "numbers representations, etc." but be prepared if you're still living during the implemenation of the system.

It was supposed to be implemenented 2,000 years ago by the roman empire but it never was.

Attributing the prophecy of the Revelation has been something that people have been doing for hundreds of years. They've been predicting the "end times" for hundreds of years and every time they have failed to predict it. Revelation is a often misunderstood book that was NOT supposed to be applied to 1900 years after it was written.

But there is one thing you're right about....I DON'T want to be included among the rest of the thousands of religions..,.especially those that require certain "acts" and "works" TO be included and accepted.

Oh..I see. You're against religions that require "acts" to be accepted.

Like repenting your sins?

Like accepting Jesus as your savior?

Oh no..You aren't talking about those acts now are you?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 07:17:57 AM »

It was supposed to be implemenented 2,000 years ago by the roman empire but it never was.

Attributing the prophecy of the Revelation has been something that people have been doing for hundreds of years. They've been predicting the "end times" for hundreds of years and every time they have failed to predict it. Revelation is a often misunderstood book that was NOT supposed to be applied to 1900 years after it was written.

I've never heard it was to be implemented 2000 years ago by the roman empire?  Where does it say that?

Oh..I see. You're against religions that require "acts" to be accepted.

Like repenting your sins?

Like accepting Jesus as your savior?

Oh no..You aren't talking about those acts now are you?

I don't consider those "acts."  I believe when you "believe on Jesus as Savior" you are saved. 

An "act" would be something like baptism or performing certain rituals....none of which can save you or keep you saved.

"Even our faith is a gift of God." :)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:21:17 AM »

Every few years the "end times" gets rescheduled for a later date to be annouced.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »
I've never heard it was to be implemented 2000 years ago by the roman empire?  Where does it say that?

It doesn't say that. That's what it was refering to. The enemy of the christians at the time was the Roman empire. The whole branding thing was something the christians would fear would happen to them like the gladiators. Being branded.

The author of relevation(likely the same author of the gospel of john) believed the end times would occur within his lifetime.

Revelation
1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

I don't consider those "acts."  I believe when you "believe on Jesus as Savior" you are saved. 

An "act" would be something like baptism or performing certain rituals....none of which can save you or keep you saved.

"Even our faith is a gift of God." :)

Act-perform an action, or work out or perform (an action).
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

This means any verb.

Would include..

Repenting...
Accepting...
Confessing...

All "acts" by definition in the english language.