Author Topic: Preacher: God told him about storms, tsunami  (Read 10977 times)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: Preacher: God told him about storms, tsunami
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
If you say so. I won't mention the theatre chain in Utah that backed out of showing it.  ;)

Fortunately the Mormons in Utah do not speak for the other 49 states.

So what you're saying then, is that a good way to rally "conservatives", is to propose bigotted legislation that marginalizes, and is discriminatory to certain segments of society? Seems to be their consistent MO huh?

Do you honestly think that Republicans are the only ones against gay marriage? Black and Hispanic Christians are not to fond of it either and I'd wager they're mostly registered Democrats.

...and of course Kerry was limp, ...ever seen the ketchup heiress he's married to? You'd be limp too.

No I wouldn't. I'd have a White House intern deliver pizza so I could make her dress a collector's item on EBay.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »
Fortunately the Mormons in Utah do not speak for the other 49 states.

You don't know the power & influence of Orrin Hatch. {lol}

Do you honestly think that Republicans are the only ones against gay marriage? Black and Hispanic Christians are not to fond of it either and I'd wager they're mostly registered Democrats.

Not being fond of it, and actively willing to rail against it are too different things.

No I wouldn't. I'd have a White House intern deliver pizza so I could make her dress a collector's item on EBay.

Careful, ...you're sounding more & more like a Liberal Democrat each day.  ;)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
We're talking about a lifestyle.  Nothing wrong with legislation directed at certain lifestyles. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 12:29:12 PM »
You don't know the power & influence of Orrin Hatch. {lol}

I live in the Baltimore/DC area, babe. We're familiar with that boob here.

Not being fond of it, and actively willing to rail against it are too different things.

True but the blacks and hispanics in the Democratic party are very unhappy and feel (because they are) taken for granted by the white elite in power.

Careful, ...you're sounding more & more like a Liberal Democrat each day.  ;)

Because I like pizza?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »
Just because something has been a common practice in a particular society doesn't make it normal or right.  Look at things like slavery and prostitution.  Both are very old institutions that have been a part of many societies.  They didn't kill societies (including the greatest country in the history of the world) and prostitution continues to this day (even legal in some parts of Nevada). 

Prostitution continues mostly unimpeded (if slightly regulated) in some of the most "enlightened" societies on this planet.  In our country, it's a states' rights thing . . . not forbidden by the constitution.

Slavery went against the capitalist/liberal grain that runs through our conception of ourselves as a nation, hence it could not be allowed to continue.  our varieties of capitalism and liberal democracy are not empirically based on universal truth . . . contrary to what some of the founding fathers might have felt. Living by capitalist/liberal precepts is a choice "we" made, and I'm glad we made it, as I'm happy with my life. But I would never assume that b/c it works for me, it has to work for everyone else. I will, however, defend my right (and support those who defend my right) to live by my choice . . .

The same is true of our notions on marriage, the "normality" of heterosexual relationships, etc. They're all choices we make, although we try to act like they were handed to us graven on tablets of stone.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »
Prostitution continues mostly unimpeded (if slightly regulated) in some of the most "enlightened" societies on this planet.  In our country, it's a states' rights thing . . . not forbidden by the constitution.

Slavery went against the capitalist/liberal grain that runs through our conception of ourselves as a nation, hence it could not be allowed to continue.  our varieties of capitalism and liberal democracy are not empirically based on universal truth . . . contrary to what some of the founding fathers might have felt. Living by capitalist/liberal precepts is a choice "we" made, and I'm glad we made it, as I'm happy with my life. But I would never assume that b/c it works for me, it has to work for everyone else. I will, however, defend my right (and support those who defend my right) to live by my choice . . .

The same is true of our notions on marriage, the "normality" of heterosexual relationships, etc. They're all choices we make, although we try to act like they were handed to us graven on tablets of stone.

I disagree there is no "universal truth."  Sounds like moral skepticism, which I also don't believe in.  Liberty is a universal truth, at least in this country.  Personal autonomy is a universal truth in America.  So is due process.  There are plenty of others. 

Heterosexual relationships are "normal."  Our society can't exist without procreation, which takes place primarily within the confines of marriage, or at a minimum between a man and woman (not including artificial methods).  Marriage was handed to us in the Garden of Eden and has continued for thousands of years since then.  Marriage and family form the backbone of American society.  Those are really the only choices we have if our society is to continue.  A city full of homosexuals, with no artificial insemination, would eventually die.   

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 02:24:01 PM »
Liberty is a universal truth, at least in this country.  Personal autonomy is a universal truth in America. 

if it were truly universal, it would need no qualification.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 01:29:31 AM »
if it were truly universal, it would need no qualification.

Not really.  Some people, countries, and governments believe in and practice tyranny. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 07:59:56 AM »
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12851397/?GT1=8199

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Pat Robertson strikes back!

If I'd been there when Pat said all that, I would've said, "Bitch, please."