Author Topic: Questions for John Hansen, Were you ever tempted?  (Read 28472 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Questions for John Hansen, Were you ever tempted?
« on: July 31, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »
Greetings Sir, I enjoy your Bodybuilding Legends videos.  You do a great job and thank you for all you do.  I have random questions, why'd do decide to stay natural vs. "super"natural? What was it like seeing people make crazy gains?  Were you ever tempted?  Oh and to keep it light, other than yourself, who is your favorite bodybuilder and why?  Who were some guys you looked up to when you came up Thanks again.

Wiggs

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
Re: Questions for John Hansen, Were you ever tempted?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »
Greetings Sir, I enjoy your Bodybuilding Legends videos.  You do a great job and thank you for all you do.  I have random questions, why'd do decide to stay natural vs. "super"natural? What was it like seeing people make crazy gains?  Were you ever tempted?  Oh and to keep it light, other than yourself, who is your favorite bodybuilder and why?  Who were some guys you looked up to when you came up Thanks again.
Wiggs

He used in the past by his own admission. Would not rate him 100% natty becose of that fact.
Seems solid as a person tho.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »
Wiggs,

You are woefully ignorant about certain things. 

Yikes.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:58:29 AM »
Was never a super natural like Mike O'Hearn but a fine natty athlete nonetheless. :P :-\

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:09:56 AM »
He is a disgusting liar.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:49:28 AM »

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 04:58:16 AM »
Was never a super natural like Mike O'Hearn but a fine natty athlete nonetheless. :P :-\

Hahaha hahaha hahaha!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:29 AM »
I wonder if Badell was ever tempted -

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
Wiggs baiting JH into a trap here!  :D

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
He is a disgusting liar.

One has to think two times on Johns so called natural status when he even advertises for hormone maximising on his channel? But im not losing any sleep because of it.
MIRAGETROPIN

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »
If I recall John has used and admitted to it on Ironage. If I am wrong in my recollection, my apologies.

J

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
I respect John and don’t want to put him in a situation where he is baselessly asked, so I’m going through some files I have and I’ll hit the way back machine. Let me look . . .

J

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »
Bodybuilding.com interview -

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/johnh3.htm -

"When I started competing, especially on the national level, I realized that the drug usage was much more extensive than that."
I thought if I could do a 12 week steroid cycle before the Mr. Olympia each year, that wouldn't be so bad. I read that Arnold and other guys of his era would only use the drugs for a few months before competing each year and they would stay clean the rest of the year.
However, when I started competing, especially on the national level, I realized that the drug usage was much more extensive than that. It was at that point that I decided the risk wasn't worth the reward. I wasn't willing to take the amount of drugs necessary to possibly turn pro and then continue taking the drugs throughout my career as a pro bodybuilder.

I never wanted to put myself in the position of being forced to take drugs in order to keep my physique competitive with the other guys I would be competing against. It was just something I couldn't do. So, to answer your question, I guess I would say no, I wouldn't take the drugs even if it meant I could win the Olympia."

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2685401 , Post 27 by Hansen -

"Thanks for asking that question and I would love to explain my answer to clear everything up.

The short answer is, yes, I did use steroids about 20 years ago when I was in my early twenties but I used them only in preparation for the competitions I was entering so that was for 12 weeks once a year. I DID NOT use them to build my physique, only to hold onto muscle and keep my strength up when I was dieting.

My original goal when I started training at 14 years old was to win the Mr. Universe and be in the magazines like the guys I read about in Muscle Builder Magazine. I didn't know anything about steroids until I read an interview with Arnold in a 1978 issue of Muscle Builder magazine. In that issue, Arnold admitted that he used steroids in preparation for a contest and that all of the top bodybuilders competing in the Mr. America, Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia used them. However, Arnold said that the drugs were only being used as a "finishing touch" and that they only accounted for a 5-10% improvement in the physique but, without that 5-10% extra improvement, you would risk losing the contest. "

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
Also not to be a dick, but he competed at #20-40lbs over the steroid using stars of the 60's - early 80's at around the same height.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
How so?

Anyone who vouches for O'Hearn being natural, like he did, is a liar alternately a retard.

This is just a guy who saw he wasn't going to amount to anything in bodybuilding, so he found a way to stand out despite that fact. So now he's a Natural Mr O! Not that too many people care, in reality. I bet this guy has used drugs more consistently and for a longer period of time than most pros.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Ron, please delete this. This wasn't intended to be a bashing thread.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
Hey, Wiggs, you didn't know he wasn't a virgin.  

Not a biggie.

Lots of guys used steroids at some point and then decided to go the natty route.

Good for Hansen.  He complied with the rules for the organization he competed in.

I believe him.  He's a good guy.   He trains hard and has great mental discipline.  He cuts gradually over a LONG period of time to achieve his definition.

There are lots of these "natty" guys that are liars and they cheat unfortunately.  Hansen is not one of them.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »

delts give it way 99% of the time

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
As natural as Chaz Bono's schlong.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
Let’s squash this thread once and for all by just saying there is no such thing as a competitive “natural” bodybuilder

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 04:07:56 AM »
If I recall John has used and admitted to it on Ironage. If I am wrong in my recollection, my apologies.

J

Yeah, I remember that too  :-\

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 05:15:54 AM »
What is the test of truth here? Hansen is innocent unless someone has evidence showing otherwise. I don't accept opinions re steroid look no matter how expert they claim to be.

I well remember those days back in the sixties and seventies. There we were blasting away and lucky to get 17 1/2 inch cold arms. How on earth could we compete against Sergio and Arnold. Impossible. Almost no one admitted using steroids then because it was cheating.

So what to do in those days? Well, if you wanted to win a national title you didn't have much choice unless you were the rare natural bodybuilder. Those who did use Dianabol kept it to themselves so who could prove otherwise?

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »
What is the test of truth here? Hansen is innocent unless someone has evidence showing otherwise. I don't accept opinions re steroid look no matter how expert they claim to be.

I well remember those days back in the sixties and seventies. There we were blasting away and lucky to get 17 1/2 inch cold arms. How on earth could we compete against Sergio and Arnold. Impossible. Almost no one admitted using steroids then because it was cheating.

So what to do in those days? Well, if you wanted to win a national title you didn't have much choice unless you were the rare natural bodybuilder. Those who did use Dianabol kept it to themselves so who could prove otherwise?

How fucking retarded are you?? He admitted to past use!! Guys were not ashamed to admit to steroid use back in Arnold's days at all they could easily go to the doctor and get them prescribed! You are a moron!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »
Sorry, I forgot that everyone is an expert on Getbig, even dopey gimmicks!

The fact that someone admitted using steroids in the past doesn't mean he wasn't natural for a particular contest.

It depends on when the steroids were abandoned.

I am aware that many natural contests are controversial and some claim there are cheats winning them.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 05:45:41 AM »
He admitted he used them in the past.

He did not use them in the natty contests and met the rules.

Every natty organization has different rules.  Some do not require you to be a lifetime natural.  Some do.

That's all there is to it.