Author Topic: What happens if 20,000 libertarians move to New Hampshire?  (Read 292 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
http://freestateproject.org/

Free State Project Crosses 14,000 Signers – Now Over 70% to the Goal!!

Congratulations to the Free State Project for crossing the 70% mark with now more than 14,000 signers of the goal of 20,000. Despite the fact that the move hasn’t been triggered yet, (and won’t be until 20,000) the FSP has had tremendous impact with only 1,144 people in NH already. The aggressors are scared and have called the FSP “the single biggest threat the state is facing today”. If Rep. Cynthia Chase thinks it’s a big threat today, I wonder what she’ll think when the mover number hits 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 and so on. Remember, the amount of the 20,000 who are already here is only just over 5%!

We’re just getting started. If you love liberty and are willing to take action to achieve it, there is no better place to be than The Shire. Please join the Free State Project now and plan your move ASAP! There is much to be done.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: What happens if 20,000 libertarians move to New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »
Live Free or Move

Hanging out with the young kids who want to turn New Hampshire into a libertarian paradise.

KEENE, N.H.—My first interview with the city's antigovernment activists is happening in an RV that, technically at least, is breaking the law. The RV houses the "Liberty on Tour" project and often parks in Keene, and today, as it's been for many days, it's parked next to the home of Free Keene co-founder Ian Freeman. "The city doesn't allow RVs to park like this," says Freeman. "But they require a complaining party, and no one in the neighborhood is complaining. Now, theoretically, anyone from the city could complain. They know what's going to happen if they do. We're going to make a big deal about it. We're going to go to jail."

That's not boasting. That's what Free Keene does. This city is one of the epicenters of the Free State Project, the decade-old effort to build a libertarian beachhead of 20,000 like-minded souls in New Hampshire. So far, 909 people have fulfilled the pledge and moved to the state, and around 50—Freeman thinks—currently live in Keene. (These people are serious about privacy.)
Advertisement

That number undersells the impact this city and these activists have on their movement. Freeman's FreeKeene.com is a catalog of arrests, protests, and inspiring interviews, most of them in Keene. This is where one activist, Pete Eyre, spent days in jail for wearing a hat in a public hearing, and another activist, Heika Courser, was arrested for displaying her breasts after an artist painted them. The magician/TV star/libertarian celebrity Penn Jillette has mused wistfully about moving to Keene, and it didn't take long for his endorsement to get printed on Free Keene's fliers, below one of the slogans:

"Is liberty dying where you live? Escape to Keene!"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2011/06/live_free_or_move.html

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: What happens if 20,000 libertarians move to New Hampshire?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
I think so-called libertarians ought to have free reign to conduct an experiment in limited government somewhere or other. However, due to how I think such an experiment will pan out, I don't think it should be in a U.S. state -- certainly not at the federal level either. Maybe they can have their own island ala Peter Thiel's (founder of Paypal) plans. http://theweek.com/article/index/218393/libertarian-island-a-billionaires-utopia