Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 183522 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #1375 on: March 07, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
Definitely on the ropes.  Interesting to note the ad blitz by Romney in 2012 and whether Rubio can duplicate that effort. 

Donors Having Second Thoughts as Marco Rubio Approaches Florida Primary

Mark Wilson/Getty Images
by Breitbart News
7 Mar 2016

TAMPA, Florida (AP) — Just when Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) needs them the most, big-dollar contributors from the party’s wealthy main stream are having second thoughts about his future in the 2016 race.
Fresh misgivings about Rubio’s path forward are the latest – and potentially the most debilitating – in a series of obstacles that threatens the Florida senator’s future in this rollercoaster Republican campaign.

“Super Tuesday came and Rubio didn’t do as well as some of us hoped. So people are saying, ‘Let’s see how this thing shakes out,'” said Craig Duchossois, who contributed $500,000 last year to a group that backed former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

“I’m holding back,” the Chicago-based investor said of his own plans.

Despite flashes of potential in recent weeks, Rubio has struggled to reconnect with the tea party voters who made him a favorite during their national breakthrough six years ago, instead watching them flock to presidential rivals Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

Rubio campaign officials concede that Rubio likely cannot remain in the race without winning in Florida, where public polls show him second to Trump. Rubio’s team says the campaign’s polling shows the race tightening, with Trump leading by single digits, slightly less than recent public polling.

Rubio, elected to the Senate in 2010, also has not fully harnessed the financial muscle of the GOP old-guard eager to derail Trump, despite the shift in focus by many to Rubio after Bush quit the race last month.

The result is a Catch-22 for Rubio, who needs the money to win the March 15 primary in his home state of Florida, while donors wait out those results for signs of his long-term viability.

“We’ll see what happens on next Tuesday in Florida,” said Ron Gidwitz, another Chicago GOP donor who turned from Bush to Rubio. “We’ll see how real he is at that point.”

Rubio had about $5 million in available cash at the beginning of last month, less than half of what Cruz had on hand. Trump has said he can afford to finance his own campaign, though he has received contributions.

Duchossois and Gidwitz were among a wave of main stream GOP donors who moved quickly to Rubio when Bush quit the race on Feb. 20 after failing to meet expectations in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Rubio, on the other hand, finished in strong third in Iowa, rebounded from a disappointing fifth-place showing in New Hampshire to grab second place in South Carolina, feeding the GOP establishment’s hopes.

And yet Rubio’s momentum stalled again in the days leading up to March, when 11 states held Republican nominating contests. Afterward, Rubio turned from only indirectly critiquing Trump for months to an all-out assault on the businessman’s character and ethics, as well as his appearance and manliness.

Duchossois and others who pinned their hopes to him said they were turned off by Rubio’s taunts, including calling Trump’s “the worst spray tan in America” and equating Trump’s disproportionately small hands with his manhood.

“You just don’t do that,” said Bill Kunkler, another Chicago Republican who backed Bush but stopped short of the pivot to Rubio. “In Rubio, I don’t see the presidential gravitas.”

Some potential Rubio donors are also concerned that Rubio can’t generate sufficient momentum for Florida based on his victories so far: Minnesota’s lightly attended March 1 caucuses and the Puerto Rico primary on Sunday.

Rubio ceremonially relaunched his two-week campaign in Florida on March 1, and vowed he would never yield to pressure to step aside for Trump, especially in Florida where he was speaker of the state House before seeking the 2010 Senate seat.

Rubio insists he feels “real good about the map as we move forward,” telling the Associated Press Sunday he believes voters across the GOP spectrum want “an optimistic message of conservatism,” not just the “anger and frustration” Trump has tapped.

Rubio campaign officials also have said Florida races can swing quickly, especially when backed by a sustained advertising blitz. They point to the 2012 GOP primary when eventual nominee Mitt Romney surged past Newt Gingrich in part on the strength of $8.8 million in anti-Gingrich ads by a pro-Romney group.

Heading into the week, the top Republican advertiser in Florida was Conservative Solutions PAC, a group promoting Rubio, which this month planned to spend more than $4 million attacking Trump. Three other anti-Trump groups plan to spend a combined $4 million attacking the billionaire front runner before the March 15 primary.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/07/campaign-donors-having-second-thoughts-as-marco-rubio-approaches-florida-primary/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1376 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »
Foxnews hates Trump.  They've been trying to tank him constantly for months.  There's tons of antiTrump articles every day in the MSM.  Rubio or any establishment replican of the Caddyshack Judge Smails variety is their choice.

Ted Cruz did eat a booger like Spaulding at the last debate though.

That's not what I've seen.  They have given him a platform for months.  His appearances on Greta's and Hannity's shows are like infomercials.  Other programs let him call in all the time.  They actually helped legitimize him. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1377 on: March 08, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
He's right. 

Cruz: Media is sitting on bombshells about Donald Trump
By Rebecca Savransky
March 06, 2016

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas) said on Sunday that the media is sitting on explosive negative information about front-runner Donald Trump with plans to run it later in the year to tear the candidate apart.

"I think an awful lot of reporters — I can't tell you how many media outlets I hear, you know, have this great exposé on Donald, on different aspects of his business dealings or his past, but they said, 'You know what? We're going to hold it to June or July,'" Cruz said on CBS's "Face The Nation" Sunday.
"We're not going to run it now."

Cruz said the media has given the front-runner "hundreds of millions of dollars of free advertising." Every press conference Trump has is shown on every television station, he said, noting the media helped create this "phenomenon."

"And all of the attacks on Donald that the media is not talking about now, you'd better believe come September, October, November — if he were the nominee — every day on the nightly news would be taking Donald apart," he said.

Cruz called out the media, saying one of the reasons they want Trump to be the eventual nominee is because they know he can't beat Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton.

"Hillary would wallop him," Cruz said.

"Donald may be the only person on the face of the planet that Hillary Clinton can beat."

Cruz addressed the fact that people haven't brought up the issue of Trump's tax returns recently, questioning why it wasn't mentioned during the recent Republican debate.

"As Mitt Romney rightly observed, the fact that Donald won't hand over his tax returns suggests there's a bombshell in there," Cruz said.

He also called out journalists for not talking more about what Trump may have told The New York Times editorial board in an off-the-record portion of an interview. The Times recently refused to release an audio recording from an off-the-record meeting with Trump in which some speculated the front-runner talked about immigration.

Research and data will make 2016 a year that changes political marketing for generations to come. Read More
When the general election comes, Cruz said Trump will be the "singular focus of the media."

"And I think Republicans, we've been burned by that before," Cruz said.

"We're not interested in losing again, particularly when the stakes, I think, are catastrophic."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/271975-cruz-media-is-sitting-on-bombshells-about-donald-trump

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1378 on: March 08, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
Wow. Rubio Leads Trump BIG In Early Florida Voting
By: Jay Caruso  |  March 7th, 2016

Polls are narrowing in Florida. While Joe Scarborough likes to tout PPP’s poll showing Donald Trump with a yuge 20 point lead over Rubio, recent polls show Rubio anywhere from 5-8 points behind with a week to go of campaigning.

Early voting is going to play a big part in this years decision and if Monmouth Polling is right. Rubio has a great head start in the early voting:

Marco Rubio has only claimed two victories so far, making the Sunshine State his make-or-break moment. The Monmouth University Poll finds the home state U.S. Senator currently trails Donald Trump by 8 points in Florida’s Republican primary.

Trump has support from 38% of likely primary voters compared to 30% who back Marco Rubio. Ted Cruz earns 17% support and John Kasich has 10%. Rubio actually leads Trump by 48% to 23% among the nearly 1-in-5 voters who have already cast their ballots in this “early vote” state. Trump has a 42% to 26% lead among those who have yet to vote.

One of things we have seen during this primary season is Donald Trump’s amazingly over inflated support in closed primaries. Louisiana was a perfect example of that. Prior to actual voting, Trump’s RCP average lead was nearly 16 points. He had a 3.5 point margin of victory.

People might be thinking, “Well so what, Caruso? A win is a win.” That’s true. Especially in Florida where the winner gets all 99 delegates.

That said, Rubio has a week to convince enough voters to get out there and support him. He’s going to have to do this amidst a Super PAC ad blitz from……Ted Cruz. Cruz doesn’t have a chance to win Florida. These ads are all about sinking Rubio against Trump at which point, Rubio would be forced to drop out. That remains to be seen. It’s impossible to predict almost anything this primary season.

Still, this early voting news is good for Rubio.

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2016/03/07/rubio-leads-trump-big-in-early-florida-voting/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1379 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
The pledge was a pretty creepy tactic by Trump.

Trump: Hitler Salute Claim 'Ridiculous'

(MSNBC/"Morning Joe")
By Sandy Fitzgerald   |   Tuesday, 08 Mar 2016

GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump Tuesday dismissed complaints that he made followers at a recent rally raise their hands in a resemblance of a Nazi salute as "ridiculous," saying that he'd just asked for a show of hands to see who would be voting for him.

"Boy, is that a stretch," Trump told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program. "That's amazing that that would even be brought up. Of course not. That's ridiculous. This is the first I've heard of it this morning. I was on the "Today" show and they mentioned it and I said, 'What is going on here?' I think it's ridiculous."

He explained that at his "massive" rallies, which attract 25,000 people or more, "we're having actually a great time considering the subject matter is not so good, meaning the country is not doing well."

And as part of that, Trump said he says, "jokingly, raise your hand if you want to, if you swear to endorse me and swear to go vote for me. And the entire place practically laughing and having a good time raises their hands. They're raising their hand in the form of a vote, not in the form of a salute. That is crazy. I can't believe that's even being posed."

Show host Joe Scarborough agreed on the program that the topic is "ridiculous," and called it an "overreach" to think that the show of hands was a salute, as the video of the event shows what had happened better than still photos have been released.

Trump also told "Today" that his supporters call on him to make a gesture as if he's being sworn in for the presidency.

The complaints about the photo come after Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on Monday compared Trump's language to that of dictators Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini, and said his campaign has hurt relations between the United States and Mexico.

Trump's "strident expressions that seek to propose very simple solutions," Nieto told the Excelsior newspaper in Mexico, and language such as Trump uses led to "very fateful scenes in the history of humanity. 

Former Anti-Defamation League director Abe Foxman also said this week that he found the hand-raising disturbing, and that he thinks Trump is fully aware of the gesture's implications.

"It is a fascist gesture," Foxman told The Times of Israel. "He is smart enough — he always tells us how smart he is — to know the images that this evokes. Instead of asking his audience to pledge allegiance to the United States of America, which in itself would be a little bizarre, he's asking them to swear allegiance to him."

Further, Foxman said the gesture reminded him of salutes from Nazi rallies from the 1930s and 40s.

"As a Jew who survived the Holocaust, to see an audience of thousands of people raising their hands in what looks like the 'Heil Hitler' salute is about as offensive, obnoxious and disgusting as anything I thought I would ever witness in the United States of America," he told The Times.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Trump-Hitler-Salute-Claim-Ridiculous/2016/03/08/id/718020/#ixzz42KYPje2X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1380 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
Definitely a concern.  He is going to drive away more voters than he brings.

Fox News’ Bret Baier: Some Republicans Could Back Hillary Clinton Over Donald Trump
MEDIA | By Brian Flood on March 7, 2016

“Listen, there are Republicans in Washington who are privately saying that already,” the host tells The Wrap

Fox News Channel anchor Bret Baier said it’s possible that some Republicans will vote for Hillary Clinton just to stop Donald Trump from taking over the party.
“Listen, there are Republicans in Washington who are privately saying that already,” Baier told TheWrap on Monday. “Maybe some don’t publicly say it, but I think there are some who are that adamant about it who would.”

Baier will moderate Monday’s Democratic Town Hall, which is Clinton’s first appearance on the network in two years and Bernie Sanders’ first interview with Baier.

“Obviously, the never-Trump movement is trying to stop that from happening and trying to prevent him from getting to 1,237, the number of delegates needed,” Baier said. “But short of that and some kind of hail Mary at the Cleveland convention, there are definitely Republicans who are looking at that. … I think that, in the Republican party, it is a unifying force, if it is Hillary Clinton as the nominee, to find the Republican who can win and, so far, the Trump nomination seems to be steaming along.”

. . .

http://www.thewrap.com/fox-news-bret-baier-some-republicans-could-back-hillary-clinton-over-donald-trump/#sthash.1hLiOTe5.dpuf

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1381 on: March 08, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »
He's right.  

Cruz: Media is sitting on bombshells about Donald Trump

Remember when Ann Coulter went on MSNBC and announced John Edwards affair/love child?   They shushed her.  FOX wouldn't let her touch it.  Everyone kept it quiet, so they could unleash it on Edwards right before the election, if he was the nominee.  (I came on getbig and posted the story and everyone laughed because "if it was true, why isn't fox covering it?")

She tried so hard to get the media to touch the story - nobody would.   Not just the "left" - FOX was waiting for it because the ratings bonanza of it happening as an October Surprise to the candidate (and not the veep potential a year earlier) was just too juicy.

I'm sure they're sitting on bombshell stories about trump - the dude bragged about sleeping with married women.  Goodness knows how many women are out there ready to unleash on him with their versions of things.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #1382 on: March 08, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
Definitely a concern.  He is going to drive away more voters than he brings.

Fox News’ Bret Baier: Some Republicans Could Back Hillary Clinton Over Donald Trump

“Listen, there are Republicans in Washington who are privately saying that already,” the host tells The Wrap

Fox News Channel anchor Bret Baier said it’s possible that some Republicans will vote for Hillary Clinton just to stop Donald Trump from taking over the party.
“Listen, there are Republicans in Washington who are privately saying that already,” Baier told TheWrap on Monday. “Maybe some don’t publicly say it, but I think there are some who are that adamant about it who would.”

Baier will moderate Monday’s Democratic Town Hall, which is Clinton’s first appearance on the network in two years and Bernie Sanders’ first interview with Baier.

“Obviously, the never-Trump movement is trying to stop that from happening and trying to prevent him from getting to 1,237, the number of delegates needed,” Baier said. “But short of that and some kind of hail Mary at the Cleveland convention, there are definitely Republicans who are looking at that. … I think that, in the Republican party, it is a unifying force, if it is Hillary Clinton as the nominee, to find the Republican who can win and, so far, the Trump nomination seems to be steaming along.”

. . .

http://www.thewrap.com/fox-news-bret-baier-some-republicans-could-back-hillary-clinton-over-donald-trump/#sthash.1hLiOTe5.dpuf
Donald Trump is more liberal than Hillary.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #1383 on: March 08, 2016, 03:59:53 PM »
Definitely a concern.  He is going to drive away more voters than he brings.

. . .

That would be incredibly stupid. Hillary is the worst candidate possible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1384 on: March 08, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »
Donald Trump is more liberal than Hillary.

Correct.  He's keeping many positions 'secret' until he wins.  I can't believe some repubs are dumb enough to fall for it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1385 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
What Went Down In The March 8 Presidential Primaries
2016 ELECTION   UPDATED 12:58 AM MAR 8, 2016
NATE SILVER
Good Nights For Trump And Cruz

We’re calling it a night. (Well, sort of: Harry will have more about Bernie Sanders’s shocking win in Michigan in a separate article later on.) In the meantime, here are my initial thoughts on why the polls in Michigan, which had Clinton ahead by 21 percentage points, got things so wrong.

I’ll also be posting some extended thoughts about Marco Rubio, who obviously had a terrible evening. In fact, Rubio may not net any delegates from any of Michigan, Mississippi and Idaho, having failed to hit delegate thresholds in all three states. It appears that some of this reflects tactical voting — there were a lot of late-deciders for Kasich — rather than a total collapse of Rubio’s image. So perhaps, just perhaps, he can hold out hope of that tactical voting working in his favor in his home state, Florida. But it’s an awfully long parlay — he’ll have to overcome very skeptical media coverage this week, then somehow win Florida despite already having been behind in polls, and then overcome a huge delegate deficit (or win at a contested convention) even if he wins his home state. Anyway, more on what’s going wrong for Rubio later.

For the other three Republicans, things were reasonably in line with expectations (or at least, FiveThirtyEight’s expectations). But note that things being in line with expectations is basically good news for Trump since he’s currently leading the nomination race.

Trump wound up with 37 percent of the vote in Michigan, a good sign with three big Midwestern states, Ohio, Illinois and Missouri, set to vote March 15. He ran especially strongly in southeastern Michigan, including in Macomb County, which was one famous for its “Reagan Democrats,” as well as in rural northern Michigan. There were still a few trouble signs — the exit poll showed Trump tying Cruz among women and losing to him in a hypothetical one-on-one matchup and (once again) faring mediocrely among late-deciders. But the results tonight take the notion that Trump was in some sort of free-fall largely off the table. He’s not invincible, but he won’t be easy to beat.

Trump also won Mississippi, getting 47 percent of the vote to 36 percent for Cruz. What’s the difference between Mississippi and Louisiana, which was closer? The difference may be that Mississippi was an open primary while Louisiana was a closed one, a factor to keep in mind going forward.

Cruz’s evening was reasonably good also, however, with two second-place finishes (very narrowly in Michigan ahead of Kasich) along with what looks like a fairly emphatic win in Idaho. He won’t lose many delegates to Trump — he’s down about 10 as I write this, with a chance to gain some back in Hawaii early this morning. Cruz had a reputation for being a regional candidate, but he now has won states in all four regions of the country: the Northeast (Maine), the Midwest (Iowa and Kansas), the South (Texas and Oklahoma) and the West (Idaho and Alaska). His chances look pretty good of emerging as the main challenger to Trump, much to the GOP establishment’s chagrin.

Kasich’s performance, on the surface, was somewhere between a par and a bogey. His final results in Michigan were in line with polling averages, although expectations were probably inflated in light of one poll that, in contradiction to the polling average, had Kasich winning Michigan. However, Kasich won’t pick up any delegates in Mississippi or Idaho. More to the point, he doesn’t really seem to have a plan to win the nomination without a contested convention and has admitted as much. Still, Kasich could possibly benefit from the fact that Rubio had an even worse night, especially given that Kasich seems more likely to win Ohio than Rubio is to win Florida.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/michigan-mississippi-idaho-hawaii-primaries-presidential-election-2016/#livepress-update-20072287

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1386 on: March 09, 2016, 09:10:35 AM »
Good summary of why Rubio is getting his butt kicked.

Marco Rubio Never Had A Base
By NATE SILVER
MAR 9, 2016

Marco Rubio speaks at a campaign rally in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida on Tuesday.
GARY MCCULLOUGH / AP

Except in the improbable event that he comes back to win the Republican nomination, Marco Rubio is likely to become a political idiom. As Mike Huckabee is synonymous with a candidate who wins Iowa on the basis of evangelical support but can’t expand beyond that, or Fred Thompson is a stand-in for a candidate who launches his campaign too late, a “Rubioesque” candidate will be one who is everyone’s second choice.

For a long time, polls have shown Rubio as perhaps the most broadly acceptable candidate within the Republican field, with high favorability ratings1 and competitive performances in hypothetical one-on-one matchups against Donald Trump. But Rubio has just about 20 percent of the Republican vote so far and has won only Minnesota and Puerto Rico. Hawaii results are still pending as I write this, but he did terribly everywhere else on Tuesday and will probably fail to receive any delegates from Michigan, Mississippi or Idaho.

Data like this can produce cognitive dissonance. At times during the campaign, Rubio perpetually seemed to be either overrated or underrated, depending on who was doing the rating. But there’s nothing inherently contradictory about it. If Trump is the candidate with a high floor of support but perhaps a relatively low ceiling, Rubio is the opposite, with a lot of potential supporters but a low floor — he doesn’t have much of a base.

Increasingly, that potential looks as though it will go unrealized. But I want to back up and consider why Rubio is in this predicament. I won’t focus on recent strategic decisions made by his campaign, such as his potty humor directed at Trump, insofar as these decisions are more the effect of his problems (when you’re losing, it’s rational to employ high-risk strategies) than the cause of them. Instead, I see three main issues for Rubio that have dated back to the start of his campaign:

Problem No. 1: Rubio hasn’t built up a lot of voter loyalty.

It’s not my job to judge the candidates’ credentials, but I sympathize with Republicans who think Rubio’s are a little light. As a first-term senator at a time of political gridlock, he hasn’t gotten much legislation passed: According to the Thomas database, the only bill to have become law of which Rubio was the main sponsor is the Girls Count Act of 2015. His most high-profile legislative effort, on immigration reform, ended in failure. Rubio did have some accomplishments as speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, although he hasn’t talked about them much on the campaign trail. Perhaps that’s because Rubio is wary of drawing comparisons to Barack Obama, who, likewise, was a first-term U.S. senator and a former state legislator when he sought the presidency.

But Rubio didn’t replicate Obama’s success in one important way. Whereas Obama built a gigantic ground operation from the earliest stages of his campaign, Rubio failed to develop much of one. That contributes toward a low floor. If you’re not contacting voters personally, they aren’t all that invested in you, and although they may come your way from time to time, they also may abandon you at the first sign of trouble.

Also unlike Obama, Rubio didn’t receive all that much media exposure. Instead, like every other Republican candidate, he was overshadowed by Trump, who got nine times as much coverage on network news as Rubio did in 2015. Without that vetting having taken place earlier in the campaign, Republicans are learning a lot about Rubio as they’re already in the midst of voting, contributing to the volatility in his political standing.

Problem No. 2: Trying to be everything to everyone isn’t easy.

You may remember our old friend the Republican “five-ring circus” diagram, which depicts the overlapping constituencies that the Republican candidates seek to win votes from. From the start, we’ve put Rubio in the “establishment” circle, thinking he’s too far removed from his days as a tea-party-backed candidate to still qualify as one.

The establishment circle is a special place, however. It’s not that there are literally all that many establishment voters (except, maybe, in the northern Virginia suburbs, where Rubio performed well). Instead, the more successful establishment candidates seek to be consensus candidates, keeping the peace with some or all party factions. Consider Mitt Romney, who was elected governor in Massachusetts as a pragmatic moderate, then ran as a movement conservative in the Republican race of 2008 and then was somewhere in between those things when he was nominated in 2012. Or Obama, who in 2008 ran as a “post-partisan” candidate to some Democratic voters and as a progressive hero to others.

Such candidates can be accused of shape-shifting or flip-flopping, but they often capture their party’s nomination. Such a strategy requires a lot of political dexterity, however. Not only do you have to stay “on message,” you have to sustain multiple messages to multiple audiences. (Trump, although hardly a consensus candidate, has some of this ability.) It helps to have surrogates vouching for you to different constituencies, something Rubio didn’t have a lot of until recently. And it helps to have enough media exposure to avoid being typecast in one role, something Rubio hasn’t had all that much of in Trump’s shadow.

Problem No. 3: Rubio’s cosmopolitan image is an odd match for his conservative politics.

The Republican race is tricky to map demographically, especially in comparison to the Democratic one. Trump’s best congressional districts so far, according to data that my colleague Aaron Bycoffe and I have collected, include such diverse places as NV-1 (Las Vegas), AL-4 (rural northwest Alabama) and MA-9 (far eastern Massachusetts, including Cape Cod).

Rubio’s best districts have a bit more in common. Here are the five congressional districts where he received the largest share of the vote through Super Tuesday:

TX-33: A highly Democratic district covering parts of Dallas and its suburbs.
MN-5: A highly Democratic district covering parts of Minneapolis and its suburbs.
GA-5: An extremely Democratic district covering parts of Atlanta and its suburbs.
MN-4: A highly Democratic district covering parts of St. Paul, Minnesota, and its suburbs.
VA-8: A highly Democratic district in northern Virginia, covering the Washington suburbs.

Now, if Rubio were a moderate or liberal Republican (or a conservative running in moderate garb, like John Kasich), this is pretty much what you’d expect to see. But he isn’t: Rubio’s voting record and issue positions are quite conservative, and he’s run as a conservative. Furthermore, although this has varied some from state to state, exit polls haven’t shown Rubio doing especially well with moderate voters; in South Carolina, for example, he won 23 percent of the vote from moderate Republicans, about the same as his share of the vote overall. It may be that Rubio’s most reliable voters are conservatives who live among liberals, a difficult group to build a base from.

The other thing we can tell about Rubio’s supporters is that they have high socioeconomic status, especially as measured by education. So do Kasich’s — whereas by contrast, Ted Cruz’s and especially Trump’s have lower incomes and education levels. Roughly speaking, you can plot the Republican candidates on a two-by-two grid that looks like this:

That chart is a simplification, of course, most notably because it implies that the four quadrants are equally sized when they probably aren’t. Trump, in particular, is proving that there’s a fairly large market for populism among Republicans and independents who vote in Republican primaries, especially those with lower socioeconomic status. Trump’s voters average out to being fairly moderate, although they aren’t conventionally so: From what we can tell, for instance, his voters don’t care very much about abortion or gay marriage, although they do care about immigration.

Rubio, by contrast, may be proving that there’s not all that large a market for what you might call an upscale or cosmopolitan conservative. Many voters in the near-in suburbs, Rubio’s best areas geographically, long ago left the Republican Party. Rubio might have the image to win them back — young, Hispanic, optimistic — but he doesn’t have the policies, being staunchly conservative on issues such as abortion and gay marriage. Likewise, while Rubio appears to do well among nonwhite Republicans, there are very few of them voting in the primaries, and Rubio has turned away from the moderate immigration positions that once might have won him more Latino support.

Rubio is also somewhat boxed in by Cruz and, to a perhaps underappreciated extent, Kasich. If Cruz weren’t in the race, there would be a scramble between Rubio and Trump for voters in the bottom-right corner of the chart, who have lower socioeconomic status but are highly conservative (and often very religious). Rubio might win it: He could position himself as the only true conservative in the race, and polls suggest that more Cruz supporters have Rubio as their second choice than Trump. If Kasich were out of the race, meanwhile, Rubio could pivot more toward the center — at an opportune time, given that the calendar is turning to blue and purple states. But with Cruz and Kasich still running — and in fact, seeming to gain ground in recent days — Rubio is back to where he started, as a lot of voters’ second choice.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/marco-rubio-never-had-a-base/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1387 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
Current delegate count:

Trump - 461
Cruz - 360
Rubio - 154
Kasich - 54
Carson - 8
Bush   - 4
Fiorina - 1
Huckabee - 1
Paul - 1

http://www.cnn.com/election/primaries/parties/republican

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1388 on: March 09, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »
Super Tuesday totals:
2,945,652 = Votes for Trump
5,409,738 = Votes for other candidates

Total:
3,265,867 = Votes for Trump
6,268,336 = Votes for other candidates

Results since Super Tuesday:
983,622 = Votes for Trump
1,541,001 = Votes for other candidates

Total:
4,249,489 = Votes for Trump
7,809,337 = Votes for other candidates

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1389 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
Link to the Florida debate:

Props to all four for being civil.  Was sort of a breath of fresh air.  But also more of the same in many respects, including:

- Cruz being solid.

- Rubio having another great performance.

- Kasich being minimized.

- Trump being an empty suit when it comes to policy. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1390 on: March 11, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
You (and Fat Man) disappoint me Dr. Carson. 

Trump rivals make last-ditch push to thwart front-runner
Published March 11, 2016 
FoxNews.com

Donald Trump’s rivals tried to make the most of their final debate with the Republican presidential front-runner before next week's Super Tuesday II slate of primaries — with do-or-die contests for Marco Rubio and John Kasich in Florida and Ohio, respectively — but whether it changed minds or won over enough undecideds to influence the outcome remains to be seen.

First out of the gate Friday was Trump, who got the endorsement of former rival Dr. Ben Carson, who said he forgave Trump -- "the Christian thing to do" -- for any campaign attacks and praised him as a man whose public image belies his true character, describing him as a far more “cerebral” candidate than he’s given credit for. His endorsement appears to serve as a counterweight to Carly Fiorina coming out for Ted Cruz earlier this week.

At the Miami debate Thursday night, Trump summed up the reality, though, that Florida Sen. Rubio and Ohio Gov. Kasich face.

He said only “two of us” can get the delegates to win – meaning Trump and Cruz — and “two of us” cannot, referring to Rubio and Kasich.

“That is not meant to be a criticism … that’s just a mathematical fact,” Trump said, urging the party to “be smart and unify.” 

Rubio and Kasich are vowing to win their home states, which dish out all their delegates to the primary night winner.

Donald Trump Endorsements | InsideGov
But even if they win, their paths to the nomination remain unclear – and their best angle may still be to try and deny Trump the delegates needed to clinch the nomination going into the convention in July.

But Trump strongly suggested that as early as next week, the GOP contest could winnow down to a two-man race.

The states holding primaries Tuesday are Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Illinois and North Carolina.

The CNN-hosted debate Thursday saw Rubio change up his campaign approach once again – dialing back the personal attacks on Trump, which didn’t do much for his numbers in the most recent round of contests.

Instead, Rubio hit Trump on more substantive issues.

One of the most pointed debate clashes came over the diplomatic thaw with Cuba — a huge issue in Florida, host of the CNN debate and next week’s critical primary. Trump tangled with his rivals as he claimed he’s “in the middle” on the issue.

Trump said “something” should take place after a decades-long freeze, but, “I want to get a much better deal.”

“Here’s a good deal,” Rubio snapped back. “Cuba has free elections. Cuba stops putting people in jail.”

He – along with his rivals – did their best Thursday to draw distinctions between them and Trump.

Oftentimes, Trump seemed to lean on his “art of the deal” to explain his approach to global challenges. But it earned him criticism from the others on stage.

Cruz hammered Trump for suggesting he’d be able to re-negotiate a nuclear deal with Iran.

“I will rip to shreds this catastrophic Iranian nuclear deal,” Cruz countered.

Trump also took heat from Rubio and others as he defended his claim that “Islam hates us.”

The Republican front-runner said there’s “tremendous hatred” in the Muslim world and called for new laws to confront the threat. 

“We better expand our laws or we’re being a bunch of suckers, and they are laughing at us,” Trump said.

But Rubio and Cruz both said “of course” they would not want to allow the targeting of family members of terror targets, as Trump has called for. And they chided him for his remarks.

“The answer is not scream all Muslims bad,” Cruz said.

“The problem is presidents can’t just say whatever they want,” Rubio said. “I’m not interested in being politically correct. … I’m interested in being correct.”

Trump’s rivals noted America must work with other Muslim nations to confront the ISIS threat.

For the most part, Trump and his three Republican presidential rivals held their personal fire Thursday night during their last debate before next Tuesday's primary in Florida – which votes alongside four other states.

Trump even remarked on the subdued tone: “So far I cannot believe how civil it’s been up here.”

"I think it was good that we had a substantive debate," Cruz told Fox News' Megyn Kelly. "The last two debates were pretty ridiculous [and] I was glad to see that nonsense ending."

Ohio Gov. Kasich also stressed at the debate that he’s run an “unwavering positive campaign” all along.

But on the domestic front, they did battle on the best way to save Social Security -- with Trump breaking from his competition by saying he'd leave it alone despite warnings it would start running out of money in two decades.

“I will do everything in my power not to touch Social Security,” Trump said. He said he’d instead get rid of waste, fraud and abuse — including by ensuring the government bids out contracts.

Rubio, though, said, “You’re still going to have hundreds of billions of dollars of deficit that you’re going to have to make up.” He called for gradually raising the retirement age to 70.

Cruz echoed that call, saying the program is “careening toward insolvency.”

“We need to see political courage to take this on and save and strengthen Social Security,” he said.

Kasich also called for changes, though not necessarily to the retirement age.

As Trump consolidates support and builds his delegate lead, though, he kicked off the debate with a pointed message to the so-called “Republican establishment,” effectively telling them to get on board with his campaign.

He started his opening statement by claiming his campaign is bringing in Democrats, independents and others in huge numbers to the polls.

“The Republican establishment, or whatever you want to call it, should embrace what’s happening,” he said, addressing tension between his campaign and senior GOP leaders. “We are going to beat the Democrats.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/11/trump-rivals-make-last-ditch-push-to-thwart-front-runner.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #1391 on: March 11, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »
You (and Fat Man) disappoint me Dr. Carson. 

Trump rivals make last-ditch push to thwart front-runner
Published March 11, 2016 
FoxNews.com

Donald Trump’s rivals tried to make the most of their final debate with the Republican presidential front-runner before next week's Super Tuesday II slate of primaries — with do-or-die contests for Marco Rubio and John Kasich in Florida and Ohio, respectively — but whether it changed minds or won over enough undecideds to influence the outcome remains to be seen.

First out of the gate Friday was Trump, who got the endorsement of former rival Dr. Ben Carson, who said he forgave Trump -- "the Christian thing to do" -- for any campaign attacks and praised him as a man whose public image belies his true character, describing him as a far more “cerebral” candidate than he’s given credit for. His endorsement appears to serve as a counterweight to Carly Fiorina coming out for Ted Cruz earlier this week.

At the Miami debate Thursday night, Trump summed up the reality, though, that Florida Sen. Rubio and Ohio Gov. Kasich face.

He said only “two of us” can get the delegates to win – meaning Trump and Cruz — and “two of us” cannot, referring to Rubio and Kasich.

“That is not meant to be a criticism … that’s just a mathematical fact,” Trump said, urging the party to “be smart and unify.” 

Rubio and Kasich are vowing to win their home states, which dish out all their delegates to the primary night winner.

Donald Trump Endorsements | InsideGov
But even if they win, their paths to the nomination remain unclear – and their best angle may still be to try and deny Trump the delegates needed to clinch the nomination going into the convention in July.

But Trump strongly suggested that as early as next week, the GOP contest could winnow down to a two-man race.

The states holding primaries Tuesday are Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Illinois and North Carolina.

The CNN-hosted debate Thursday saw Rubio change up his campaign approach once again – dialing back the personal attacks on Trump, which didn’t do much for his numbers in the most recent round of contests.

Instead, Rubio hit Trump on more substantive issues.

One of the most pointed debate clashes came over the diplomatic thaw with Cuba — a huge issue in Florida, host of the CNN debate and next week’s critical primary. Trump tangled with his rivals as he claimed he’s “in the middle” on the issue.

Trump said “something” should take place after a decades-long freeze, but, “I want to get a much better deal.”

“Here’s a good deal,” Rubio snapped back. “Cuba has free elections. Cuba stops putting people in jail.”

He – along with his rivals – did their best Thursday to draw distinctions between them and Trump.

Oftentimes, Trump seemed to lean on his “art of the deal” to explain his approach to global challenges. But it earned him criticism from the others on stage.

Cruz hammered Trump for suggesting he’d be able to re-negotiate a nuclear deal with Iran.

“I will rip to shreds this catastrophic Iranian nuclear deal,” Cruz countered.

Trump also took heat from Rubio and others as he defended his claim that “Islam hates us.”

The Republican front-runner said there’s “tremendous hatred” in the Muslim world and called for new laws to confront the threat. 

“We better expand our laws or we’re being a bunch of suckers, and they are laughing at us,” Trump said.

But Rubio and Cruz both said “of course” they would not want to allow the targeting of family members of terror targets, as Trump has called for. And they chided him for his remarks.

“The answer is not scream all Muslims bad,” Cruz said.

“The problem is presidents can’t just say whatever they want,” Rubio said. “I’m not interested in being politically correct. … I’m interested in being correct.”

Trump’s rivals noted America must work with other Muslim nations to confront the ISIS threat.

For the most part, Trump and his three Republican presidential rivals held their personal fire Thursday night during their last debate before next Tuesday's primary in Florida – which votes alongside four other states.

Trump even remarked on the subdued tone: “So far I cannot believe how civil it’s been up here.”

"I think it was good that we had a substantive debate," Cruz told Fox News' Megyn Kelly. "The last two debates were pretty ridiculous [and] I was glad to see that nonsense ending."

Ohio Gov. Kasich also stressed at the debate that he’s run an “unwavering positive campaign” all along.

But on the domestic front, they did battle on the best way to save Social Security -- with Trump breaking from his competition by saying he'd leave it alone despite warnings it would start running out of money in two decades.

“I will do everything in my power not to touch Social Security,” Trump said. He said he’d instead get rid of waste, fraud and abuse — including by ensuring the government bids out contracts.

Rubio, though, said, “You’re still going to have hundreds of billions of dollars of deficit that you’re going to have to make up.” He called for gradually raising the retirement age to 70.

Cruz echoed that call, saying the program is “careening toward insolvency.”

“We need to see political courage to take this on and save and strengthen Social Security,” he said.

Kasich also called for changes, though not necessarily to the retirement age.

As Trump consolidates support and builds his delegate lead, though, he kicked off the debate with a pointed message to the so-called “Republican establishment,” effectively telling them to get on board with his campaign.

He started his opening statement by claiming his campaign is bringing in Democrats, independents and others in huge numbers to the polls.

“The Republican establishment, or whatever you want to call it, should embrace what’s happening,” he said, addressing tension between his campaign and senior GOP leaders. “We are going to beat the Democrats.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/11/trump-rivals-make-last-ditch-push-to-thwart-front-runner.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Theyre jumping on the boat and riding the wave....

Upside-Trump Admin Cabinet Position
Downside- GOP Pariahs never to be taken seriously again..

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #1392 on: March 11, 2016, 11:03:56 AM »
I say at this point Rubio would be Trump's top pick for VP followed by Brother Carson then John Kasich.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1393 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »

I agree for the most part.  Definitely trying to back a "winner." 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #1394 on: March 11, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
They are, and it's still disgusting what they are willing to latch on to.

This really is hurting the Republican party more than they understand or see.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1395 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
I say at this point Rubio would be Trump's top pick for VP followed by Brother Carson then John Kasich.
What a shitty lot to pick a VP from.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #1396 on: March 14, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »

Were people like Carson and Palin ever taken seriously to start with?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #1397 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
Were people like Carson and Palin ever taken seriously to start with?

Carson... shit no
Palin... yes... before she started to talk and removed all doubt

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1398 on: March 14, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »
Carson... shit no
Palin... yes... before she started to talk and removed all doubt

Carson was drafted to run and was actually the frontrunner for little while and polling very high when wasn't the frontrunner until after Iowa.  The media hit job and Trump's dog whistles helped take him down. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1399 on: March 14, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
Carson was drafted to run and was actually the frontrunner for little while and polling very high when wasn't the frontrunner until after Iowa.  The media hit job and Trump's dog whistles helped take him down. 
You sure it had nothing to do with his blatant lying and dumbassery?  ???