Author Topic: Is $1,000 worth something in investments?  (Read 7023 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Is $1,000 worth something in investments?
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »
no clothes since I'm way too good at stealing from macy's, $200 for a skydiving trip, $100 for psychedelic drugs (shrooms and DMT).

wow, you sound like a real winner.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »

I think this was the only "sound" advice, on how to actually invest.

Apply the role strain theory to yourself and the strong desire for money, you could become the next Tony Montana

gotta start somewhere,

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2007, 11:46:28 PM »
I save ALL my spare change.

"Got any spare change brother?" "Ya, get your own retirement fund ya stinkin bum!" HAHA OWNED
hahahahah great idea  ;D

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »
wow, you sound like a real winner.

You're pretty quick at making a judgement.

I recently challenged myself to steal a few hundred bucks worth of clothes from macy's. I have no history of stealing I just wanted to see if I were smart enough to get away with it. Well, I did it on three occasions since then and each time I had a more efficient operation at work. I don't feel any guilt. It's really not like stealing candy from a baby. I stole a new wardrobe of clothes I'd never wear if I didn't steal them. $60-175 shirts. Not a bad deal, I think.

At this time I don't think I'd be able to jump out of a plane if I wanted. I don't know anyone else as crazy as I am... Good! I'll save $200.

I'm new to psychedelics. I only took shrooms once almost a year ago. I've always wanted to do them again. I've never done DMT. I just learned about it. It's become one of the most fascinating things I've ever learned about. If you're curious, learn about it here: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1343056044
~

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2007, 01:06:58 AM »

I recently challenged myself to steal a few hundred bucks worth of clothes from macy's. I have no history of stealing I just wanted to see if I were smart enough to get away with it. Well, I did it on three occasions since then and each time I had a more efficient operation at work. I don't feel any guilt. It's really not like stealing candy from a baby. I stole a new wardrobe of clothes I'd never wear if I didn't steal them. $60-175 shirts. Not a bad deal, I think.

At this time I don't think I'd be able to jump out of a plane if I wanted. I don't know anyone else as crazy as I am... Good! I'll save $200.

I'm new to psychedelics. I only took shrooms once almost a year ago. I've always wanted to do them again. I've never done DMT. I just learned about it. It's become one of the most fascinating things I've ever learned about. If you're curious, learn about it here: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1343056044
Joe Rogan knows alot about DMT and has alot of experiiences you can find out about on youtube. Id suggest you check'em out!(haha i see the vid now *OWNED*)

It's shroom time as we speak they're in season and I won't be having any tea! Ask if you needs tip on making tea...

Did you get so high on the shrooms all you wanted to do is come down? I did  >:(

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2007, 01:26:15 AM »
Joe Rogan knows alot about DMT and has alot of experiiences you can find out about on youtube. Id suggest you check'em out!(haha i see the vid now *OWNED*)

It's shroom time as we speak they're in season and I won't be having any tea! Ask if you needs tip on making tea...

Did you get so high on the shrooms all you wanted to do is come down? I did  >:(

DMT is rediculous. I saw all the videos I could find on it. I need to make some asap.

I just planned on eating the shrooms. Does shroom tea meddle with its potency?Is shrooms tea not as potent?

lol dude when I was on shrooms I had a complete detachment from my ego. I just kept trying to find it the whole time, and it became so that all I could think of was the fact that I couldn't think of anything. It sounds scary but it's not that bad as I look back on it. Having that bad trip taught me how I could have a great trip. Your enivronment has to be controlled and be with only people who are close. doing it in complete isolation must be some crazy mind trip.
~

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2007, 01:37:01 AM »
DMT is rediculous. I saw all the videos I could find on it. I need to make some asap.

I just planned on eating the shrooms. Does shroom tea meddle with its potency?Is shrooms tea not as potent?

lol dude when I was on shrooms I had a complete detachment from my ego. I just kept trying to find it the whole time, and it became so that all I could think of was the fact that I couldn't think of anything. It sounds scary but it's not that bad as I look back on it. Having that bad trip taught me how I could have a great trip. Your enivronment has to be controlled and be with only people who are close. doing it in complete isolation must be some crazy
mind trip.
Tea is every bit as potent and safer. Regular unboiled shrooms are gross and have little white worms in them. Many people have told me they can give you heart worms..
I never thought much of that til I saw pencil led sized worms inside the caps!
I boil the shrooms in about 24 ounces of water inside a womans nylon for 10-15 minutes in a medium sized pot with medium boiling heat. Then simply drink the tea which basicly tastes like dirt (literally). Sounds weird. But you can eat the shroms and drink the tea. Just boil them to avoid germs and worms.

Don't do too much honestly you can get too high. I was feeding a telephone pole popcorn one night and ended up in my bathroom taking apart my sink. I had the "isolate myself in the room" attitude but when your high that flies out the window man. It weird the thoughts I got like... It's like anything is possible. Its incredible. And scary.

And never do too many cuz you think you aren't high, be patient  ;D

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2007, 07:01:09 AM »
I save ALL my spare change.

"Got any spare change brother?" "Ya, get your own retirement fund ya stinkin bum!" HAHA OWNED

YES!!!!! you have found the secret to financial independence ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2007, 07:13:48 AM »
dont forget powerball and scratch tickets and the one-armed bandits at the track.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
dont forget powerball and scratch tickets and the one-armed bandits at the track.

on a serious note...I had a friend that bought 3 $20 dollar each lottery tickets. Apparently the chances of winning are something like 1 in 10,000 which is better than the regular lotto. He does this every week. Epic intelligence.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2007, 07:31:14 AM »
YES!!!!! you have found the secret to financial independence ;D

I do no wish to brag, but you could even say that I have amassed a plethora of spare change.

figgs

• Getbig IV
!
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »
Tea is every bit as potent and safer. Regular unboiled shrooms are gross and have little white worms in them. Many people have told me they can give you heart worms..
I never thought much of that til I saw pencil led sized worms inside the caps!
I boil the shrooms in about 24 ounces of water inside a womans nylon for 10-15 minutes in a medium sized pot with medium boiling heat. Then simply drink the tea which basicly tastes like dirt (literally). Sounds weird. But you can eat the shroms and drink the tea. Just boil them to avoid germs and worms.

Don't do too much honestly you can get too high. I was feeding a telephone pole popcorn one night and ended up in my bathroom taking apart my sink. I had the "isolate myself in the room" attitude but when your high that flies out the window man. It weird the thoughts I got like... It's like anything is possible. Its incredible. And scary.

And never do too many cuz you think you aren't high, be patient  ;D

Wow! Worms?! That's fucking disgusting. I'm glad you told me this. lolThanks for the tip. Shroom tea definetely sounds like the better alternative.

That trip sounds pretty crazy, man!
~

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

i take back what I said earlier . . . you the man . . . your mother will be so proud.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
I don't know anything about investing, but I'm expecting to soon receive a check from financial aid that could be worth over a thousand bucks, and I wonder if I could multiply that with a jackpot of an investment. This financial aid check is found money to me. I can do whatever I want with it. And so why not make money with it? It's a decent wad.

Epic spending pell grant and TAP money.. Yeah, I know about that stuff  :P

I put it in a high yield overseas bankaccount that isn't traced to me here. That way, I still reap financial aid, both state and federal. Going to school for a discount off of the tax payer.. hahaha I am against it myself, yet am a hypocrite for getting its benefits. I don't get full though, not even close to full.. You probably filed your own tax papers with little income and wound up with a lot than me.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
My bangladeshi savings account is over 8 percent in its rate.. Getting the money there is tricky, of course I never send over 10 grand, so.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »
Payoff has to be greater than the interest you'll pay on it.  Some folks do pretty well with loan checks.  Enjoy the Dow short term, but long term, it's likely worth less than it's been at.  We went from 3500 to 14000 in the last 6 years thanks to the war.  That's not sustainable.  So enjoy it, use it now, but long term, watch your ass.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
Payoff has to be greater than the interest you'll pay on it.  Some folks do pretty well with loan checks.  Enjoy the Dow short term, but long term, it's likely worth less than it's been at.  We went from 3500 to 14000 in the last 6 years thanks to the war.  That's not sustainable.  So enjoy it, use it now, but long term, watch your ass.

Like a 20 year old kid is gonna look at the stock market..  ::) Play it safe and save the damn thing, even if means opening an ING account or something, which might effect his financial aid status of course.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »
i take back what I said earlier . . . you the man . . . your mother will be so proud.

Eh, I suppose as long as I'm content with the decisions I make...
~

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
Eh, I suppose as long as I'm content with the decisions I make...

i'm sure the 30 y o figgs will be too. 

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »
Don't get financial advice from bodybuilders. 

There's been absolutely terrible advice posted in this thread.  Read about investing.  I like this blog:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/

Don't believe anyone that's selling an exotic investment scheme.  Tax deferred low load ETF's or mutual funds are the best investment.  Open an IRA  (Roth or otherwise) and put it all in the S&P 500 (.INX)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »

there aren't a lot of bodybuilders here.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
Your advice is piss poor to put it nicely.

Accumulating money in tax deferred ETF's and mutual funds is NOT investing.  It is "Saving with Risk"

Real investing is not earning 10% per year, it is earning 10% per month while you have full control of your money with near zero risk.

Spewing the same garbage coming from financial institutions (Fidelity, JPMorgan, etc.) is not giving investment advice.  You are just a live commercial that has bought into a philosophy marketed towards middle class sheep, convincing them to take all the risk and hand over their money to a financial institution for 30 years and think that they are "investing"

There's been absolutely terrible advice posted in this thread.  Read about investing.  I like this blog:

Don't believe anyone that's selling an exotic investment scheme.  Tax deferred low load ETF's or mutual funds are the best investment.  Open an IRA  (Roth or otherwise) and put it all in the S&P 500 (.INX)

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »

this is the worst advice posted on this thread thus far.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
1- how much of the 1.4 million are you actually going to be able to spend? Its a fictional number. Capital gains tax is the lowest its been in god knows how many years under the bush administration( 15%) Do you thing that there is any chance this could go up?
2- what about the lost opportunity cost you have on the taxes that you pay from your account over the time that you have it. Every year the IRS gets a piece of paper from the MF company on how much you owe.
3-once you are in retirement, how do you plan on spending your money without running the chance of running out? Live off of the interest from a CD? Money market? Is there a chance that interest rates might fluctuate?
4- In the amount of time that you have until retirement, do you think there is a chance of an unforseen event happening? What if its the year before you decide to retire and another september 11 type event happens, and a third to a half of your account is wiped out. What do you do? Postpone retirement? Live off of less?

just some things to ponder the your fee based financial planners don't tell you about.

Much of this is valid and worth factoring in to your decision making regarding retirement investing. However, The Beef feels that most over complicate these decisions and because of that, do little if any thing to aid in developing a retirement income program.

1- Things are different here in Canada with respect to taxation on capital gains. The 8k is a spendable sum and not based on the current value of The Beefs MF. The Beefs MF will double ( in theory 4 more times prior to retirement.)  One also needs to understand The Beef still makes weekly contributions, well in excess of the $12.50 The Beef recommended to a young " aggressive " investor who would receive the 8k monthly referenced above. The Beef will receive far more then 8k monthly.

2- Can you comment further on lost opportunity ?

3- Th plans for the monthly stipend are basic, it will be used to under write the cost of The Beef's living expenses. The Beef looks upon MF as the footing onto which a retirement foundation is built. With a mortgage free home $499,000.00 ( current market value ) a monthly income from The Beefs employer and The Beef's monthly $1200 government pension ( paid to all Canadians over 65 ) things look good. The Beef does not feel that between 65 and death The Beef will scratch the surface of his income fund. When The Beef needs to be cared for, the retirement facility would receive the monthly benefits of the Beefs fund and upon The Beef's passing the fund would be paid out to a beneficiary ( The beef's great nephew ) and would be taxed at the time of pay out.

4- The Beef does not factor this into his plans to any degree and nor should anyone structuring a retirement portfolio. These considerations are for fund managers to deal with and with that in mind, The Beef's MF ( and employer pension fund ) rode out 9/11 very well. Again, the aggressive position ( length of time you are in the market ) offsets these term loses providing that the MF is diversified and maximises the advantages that come from the Canadian and foreign content regulations .

The Beef

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
this is the worst advice posted on this thread thus far.

No this is:

deffering your taxes is a bad idea. Thats why I dislike 401 ks so much...you are putting your money in when you are in a lower tax bracket, and withdrawing them when you are in a higher one.

The primary advantage of a 401k or IRA is that the (tax deferred) additional money you pay into your investment *grows* tax free.  Do you understand the exponential function?  If you expect to be fabulously wealthy, you can do a Roth 401k and pay no taxes on withdraw.  If you're arguing against tax managed funds then  ::)