Author Topic: Cities go dark for Earth hour!!  (Read 1307 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Cities go dark for Earth hour!!
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- The iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge went dark Saturday night as Sydney became the world's first major city to turn off its lights for this year's Earth Hour, a global campaign to raise awareness about climate change.

The shells of Sydney's iconic Opera House were illuminated as usual before 8p.m. Saturday night...

1 of 2 Thousands of homes were dark for an hour in Christchurch, New Zealand. The famed Wat Arun Buddhist temple in Bangkok, Thailand switched off its lights.

The three major cities were among 23 worldwide, along with 300 smaller towns, taking part in Earth Hour -- a campaign by environmental group WWF to highlight the need to conserve energy and fight global warming.

"This provides an extraordinary symbol and an indication that we can be part of the solution" to global warming, Australian Environment Minister Peter Garrett told Sky News television, standing across the harbor from the dark silhouette of the Opera House.

Garrett said government offices and national monuments around the country took part in Earth Hour.

"We're not only talking the talk, we're walking the walk," he said. "Whatever your view is about the magnitude of the problem ... we can save money by using energy wisely and efficiently, and that gives us the added bonus of reduced greenhouse gas emissions."

In Sydney, a lightning storm was the brightest part of Sydney's skyline when the lights were turned off at the city's landmarks. Most businesses and homes were already dark as residents embraced their second annual Earth Hour with candlelight dinners, beach bonfires and even a green-powered outdoor movie.  Watch the lights go out in Sydney for Earth Hour. »

The number of participants was not immediately available but organizers were hoping to beat last year's debut, when 2.2 million people and more than 2,000 businesses shut off lights and appliances, resulting in a 10.2 percent reduction in carbon emissions during that hour.

Don't Miss
Web site Eco Solutions
"I'm putting my neck on the line but my hope is that we top 100 million people," Earth Hour Australia chief executive Greg Bourne said.

New Zealand and Fiji kicked off the event this year. In Christchurch, more than 100 businesses and thousands of homes were plunged into darkness.

Also in New Zealand, Auckland's Langham Hotel switched from electric lights to candles as it joined the effort to reduce the use of electricity, which when generated creates greenhouse gases that are believed to contribute to global warming.

WWF Thailand said the lights out campaign in Bangkok saved 73.34 megawatts of electricity, which would have produced 45.8 tons of carbon dioxide.

In Manila, the grounds of the seaside Cultural Center of the Philippines went dark after four city mayors ceremonially switched off the lights. Shopping malls turned off street lamps around the metropolis.

After Asia, lights were expected to go out in major European and North American cites as the clock ticks on. One of the last to participate will be San Francisco, California -- home to the soon-to-be dimmed Golden Gate Bridge.

Organizers see the event as a way to encourage the world to conserve energy.

"What's amazing is that it's transcending political boundaries and happening in places like China, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea," said Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley. "It really seems to have resonated with anybody and everybody."

Popular search engine Google lent its support to Earth Hour with a completely black page and the words: "We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn."

"Earth Hour is a call to action," said Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore. "People have now responded and it's time to introduce some significant long-term changes."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/29/lights.out.ap/index.html
follow the arrows

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Cities go dark for Earth hour!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
At what time?  It'd be kinda funny.  I'm prepared.  Let's do it.

Clocks change in England tonight, so it'll probably happen irregardless.

xL

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
crime rates went up about 90%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
The birth rate quadrupled.   :D

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
Go to Google - they are also taking part - their page is now black.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »
Is anyone else sick to fucking death of hearing about the con that is global warming and carbon footprints?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
crime rates went up about 90%

HAHAHAHA AHA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
I turned on every single light in my house and smoked a cigar.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »

thanks Rush.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
thanks Rush.

Rush shmush.

I'd have done it regardless.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »

Same.

I also did a burnout in my hummer.

TAKE THAT ENVIRONMENT YOU BASTARD!!
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:39:20 AM »
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- The iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge went dark Saturday night as Sydney became the world's first major city to turn off its lights for this year's Earth Hour, a global campaign to raise awareness about climate change.

The shells of Sydney's iconic Opera House were illuminated as usual before 8p.m. Saturday night...

1 of 2 Thousands of homes were dark for an hour in Christchurch, New Zealand. The famed Wat Arun Buddhist temple in Bangkok, Thailand switched off its lights.

The three major cities were among 23 worldwide, along with 300 smaller towns, taking part in Earth Hour -- a campaign by environmental group WWF to highlight the need to conserve energy and fight global warming.

"This provides an extraordinary symbol and an indication that we can be part of the solution" to global warming, Australian Environment Minister Peter Garrett told Sky News television, standing across the harbor from the dark silhouette of the Opera House.

Garrett said government offices and national monuments around the country took part in Earth Hour.

"We're not only talking the talk, we're walking the walk," he said. "Whatever your view is about the magnitude of the problem ... we can save money by using energy wisely and efficiently, and that gives us the added bonus of reduced greenhouse gas emissions."

In Sydney, a lightning storm was the brightest part of Sydney's skyline when the lights were turned off at the city's landmarks. Most businesses and homes were already dark as residents embraced their second annual Earth Hour with candlelight dinners, beach bonfires and even a green-powered outdoor movie.  Watch the lights go out in Sydney for Earth Hour. »

The number of participants was not immediately available but organizers were hoping to beat last year's debut, when 2.2 million people and more than 2,000 businesses shut off lights and appliances, resulting in a 10.2 percent reduction in carbon emissions during that hour.

Don't Miss
Web site Eco Solutions
"I'm putting my neck on the line but my hope is that we top 100 million people," Earth Hour Australia chief executive Greg Bourne said.

New Zealand and Fiji kicked off the event this year. In Christchurch, more than 100 businesses and thousands of homes were plunged into darkness.

Also in New Zealand, Auckland's Langham Hotel switched from electric lights to candles as it joined the effort to reduce the use of electricity, which when generated creates greenhouse gases that are believed to contribute to global warming.

WWF Thailand said the lights out campaign in Bangkok saved 73.34 megawatts of electricity, which would have produced 45.8 tons of carbon dioxide.

In Manila, the grounds of the seaside Cultural Center of the Philippines went dark after four city mayors ceremonially switched off the lights. Shopping malls turned off street lamps around the metropolis.

After Asia, lights were expected to go out in major European and North American cites as the clock ticks on. One of the last to participate will be San Francisco, California -- home to the soon-to-be dimmed Golden Gate Bridge.

Organizers see the event as a way to encourage the world to conserve energy.

"What's amazing is that it's transcending political boundaries and happening in places like China, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea," said Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley. "It really seems to have resonated with anybody and everybody."

Popular search engine Google lent its support to Earth Hour with a completely black page and the words: "We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn."

"Earth Hour is a call to action," said Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore. "People have now responded and it's time to introduce some significant long-term changes."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/29/lights.out.ap/index.html

Praise be unto Allah the Merciful.... ::)
I hate the State.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Is anyone else sick to fucking death of hearing about the con that is global warming and carbon footprints?

I certainly am, people don't realize that Kyoto accord compliance will reduce your purchasing power by more than two magnitudes.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
extremely funny thread. 

anyone know what time it was?  I was safe, I went out.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
Go to Google - they are also taking part - their page is now black.
I read about it a year or so ago.  It's a non toxic eco friendly less carbon desktop.  It's Google black.  It popped up as an option and I clicked not now.  I'll need new specs.

It's true, I read it on the BBC.  Ages ago.

Let me find my sunglasses...

xL

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Toronto took part.

Diesel, it's real. It's not a con, I can assure you the situation is graver than most know.

I was scared we were going to see power outtages when everyone turned everything back on again.

I remember when they announced the OJ verdict. In Windsor, there were so many people turning on CNN at the exact same moment that just as the foreperson was about to read the verdict, ...the power went out!  ;D
w