Author Topic: questions on bar in tbar rows  (Read 6427 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
questions on bar in tbar rows
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
i love tbar rows where u stick a barbell in the corner

but when u start going heavy how do yall anchor the end of the barbell? whats the best way?

is it better to have someone stand on the end?

or should i lay plates on the end or should i put a dumbell over the end
or something else?

thanks
w

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Re: questions on bar in tbar rows
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
and how bent over should u be? i see some guys almost upright

and do yall use 25pound plates or the 45 pound plates?
w

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
i love tbar rows where u stick a barbell in the corner

but when u start going heavy how do yall anchor the end of the barbell? whats the best way?

is it better to have someone stand on the end?

or should i lay plates on the end or should i put a dumbell over the end
or something else?

thanks
hey Gene have someone LIGHTLY put the top of their foot on the bar, i've had the misfortune of idiots putting their whole goddamn foot on the bar and it makes the exercise feel like you've got at least another 45 pound plate on there, specify LIGHTLY put your foot on the bar to your spotter, just enough pressure to keep it down.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
Ditto for what Quaker said, or maybe a light DB.  I've never had problems using 45 plates and I stay fairly low to the ground.
Squishy face retard

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
thanks quaker and cap
w

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:21 AM »
I just use a DB Gene.  Have you ever done Paul Bunyan Squats?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »
I just chuck a DB on top and i'm good to go. I generally use the 35lb plates.
No doubt about it...

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
I just use a DB Gene.  Have you ever done Paul Bunyan Squats?
what r those?

I just chuck a DB on top and i'm good to go. I generally use the 35lb plates.
thanks
w

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »
last time i tried a dumbell i almost got knocked in the nuts

i just use the machine one, either free standing or with a chest pad

however honestly i get better back involvment qwit seated cable rows and other forms of rows (db rows too)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
last time i tried a dumbell i almost got knocked in the nuts

i just use the machine one, either free standing or with a chest pad

A true T-bar is better, and safer. Better because since both the end and handles are solid and anchored you can lean back, getting a better angle and stretch. Not so much the  straight up and down movement as when the bar's in the corner. It just feels a lot more solid, which also helps when cheating. And ya, i've seen the other end fly up, i don't like it no matter what's holding it down it's unstable.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »
i rarely see anyone doing a t-bar right. too many guys saw The Unbelievable and figured the way to do it is to stack a shitload of plates on it and heave the thing around. no joke three weeks ago i saw a guy put six plates on the bar and had to have his buddy help get the damn thing off the floor. it was embarrassing.

frankly i think the corner t-bars are pretty overrated. i don't know what they offer that a normal BB row doesn't.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:47 PM »
i rarely see anyone doing a t-bar right. too many guys saw The Unbelievable and figured the way to do it is to stack a shitload of plates on it and heave the thing around. no joke three weeks ago i saw a guy put six plates on the bar and had to have his buddy help get the damn thing off the floor. it was embarrassing.

frankly i think the corner t-bars are pretty overrated. i don't know what they offer that a normal BB row doesn't.
Hey, my buddy and I were copying Castleberry.   ;D

Seriously though, I feel it a little differently because of the grip but I'd rather do one arm rows today anyways.  I felt like my back grew better with DB rows and the let cleans and snatches do the rest.
Squishy face retard

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »
Hey, my buddy and I were copying Castleberry.   ;D

you clearly didn't put enough plates on or have enough spotters, then. >:(

Seriously though, I feel it a little differently because of the grip but I'd rather do one arm rows today anyways.  I felt like my back grew better with DB rows and the let cleans and snatches do the rest.

this. i haven't seen anything the t-bar offers that couldn't be better served elsewhere. the mechanics of it are just awkward. grab a bar or some DB's.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
you clearly didn't put enough plates on or have enough spotters, then. >:(

this. i haven't seen anything the t-bar offers that couldn't be better served elsewhere. the mechanics of it are just awkward. grab a bar or some DB's.
I don't do BB rows much at all anymore but when I did T-bar rows, I liked them a lot.

I like doing DBs rows better now.  I got moderately strong for my size so I just stuck with them.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

i think the corner t-bars are pretty overrated. i don't know what they offer that a normal BB row doesn't.

Plenty of guys prefer Ts, Coleman seems to be one of them, Schwarzie as well. Personally I find them alot more effective as far as hitthing the lats, and alot less hard on the lower back. Wish i'd had access to doing those all those years spent doing BB rows.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »
Plenty of guys prefer Ts, Coleman seems to be one of them, Schwarzie as well. Personally I find them alot more effective as far as hitthing the lats, and alot less hard on the lower back. Wish i'd had access to doing those all those years spent doing BB rows.

do you mean the corner or the machine? the machine i can understand, but the corner, no way. and remember arnie and ronnie both really advocate straight barbell rows as well, probably more than they did t-bar.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
do you mean the corner or the machine? the machine i can understand, but the corner, no way. and remember arnie and ronnie both really advocate straight barbell rows as well, probably more than they did t-bar.

The machine, as mentioned above. The corner's not in the same league even though it works. The machine allows you to lean back, getting a better stretch, and hits the lower back less harshly while leaning back. Plus you can heave it without worrying about getting the other end up your ass if it comes loose LOL

I think the reason BB rows are always pushed is that it's a basic exercise that can be done easily with just a BB. And of course those guys did both forms of rowing, but i think they had a preference in both cases. Arnold's back programs i've seen over the years always listed t-bars, no BB rows. Coleman in one of his training vids i saw recently mentioned a real love of those t-bars. Pathetic that Metroflex doesn't have a machine, i mean hardcore's great but come on it's no money to get the machine or a kit for less than $100 that attaches to both ends of an Olympic bar and allows it to be used just like a machine.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
what r those?

It's a variation on front squats where you corner a barbell just like you would in a t bar row accept you palm the front end of the barbell and squat.  They are an awesome squat variation.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »
It's a variation on front squats where you corner a barbell just like you would in a t bar row accept you palm the front end of the barbell and squat.  They are an awesome squat variation.
oh wait i remember hearing bout these a long time ago
so u just hold the barbell...no handle attached or anything?
im gonna try these this week thanks...
w

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »

i get no low back pain from tbars plus the contraction and stretch is great-i love em
w

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 03:53:27 AM »
oh wait i remember hearing bout these a long time ago
so u just hold the barbell...no handle attached or anything?
im gonna try these this week thanks...

I've never seen anyone use a handle Gene,  you're welcome!

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
i have a t bar kit from bodysolid
for me more comfortable than barbell row

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »
We have the same one in the gym. Itīs easy..place one end of the olympic bar into the adapter, fix the grip-adapter at the other end of the bar, and load on weights...

which kind of plates 45 or 35 i use depends on in which fashion i will do the movement (more bend over = 35īs, or a bit more upright = 45īs). But honestly, i saw so many guys in my gym which are doing the t-bar row just standing compl. upright.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
I tried the bar in the corner version, but I wasn't happy with the stability of it.  My old gym had a proper Tbar setup, but these days I stick to DB and BB rows.

MissionHockey

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
When I perform T-bar rows in the gym, it is usually one of the first exercises on my back day. I slightly bend my knees and try to keep my torso parallel to the ground, but not completely parallel. I try to get my back so when I am rowing, my back is at the same angle as when I am performing a dumbbell row. T-bar rows are also one of my favorite exercises because to me it looks as if my right lat is slightly larger then my left, therefore both of my lats are being worked equally at the same time.