Author Topic: Pit Bull Owners Sue Over Denver's Euthanizing Dog Ban  (Read 10511 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Pit Bull Owners Sue Over Denver's Euthanizing Dog Ban
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »
Dogs should be restricted like drivers licenses. People wanting a dog should have to register, take a written exam and take a 10 hour course every year on dog behavior. They should also have to pay fees.

body88

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
Dogs should be restricted like drivers licenses. People wanting a dog should have to register, take a written exam and take a 10 hour course every year on dog behavior. They should also have to pay fees.

I would not have a problem with having to register a dog (as long as it was written to be fair to both sides) and as long as the rule applied to all breeds. That is a fair idea.Imo laws involving dogs and or pets should be tougher. There should be much harsher penalties for dog fighting, abuse, and neglect. I am talking laws that are actually enforced.Tougher laws that hold retards accountable who train dogs into weapons. If Johnny crack dealing was looking at 3 - 5 years for training pits to attack people he might (and his dog attacks a innocent person on his watch) think twice about doing it.The next fool might think twice about taking pits and turning them into drug house attack dogs if there "boy" is serving a extra 3 years on his drug charge when his k9 was found to be abused and trained to maul people.

Someone needs to set up some rules and regulations that require "breeders" to follow certain rules if they want to sell puppies. Back yard breeding by unqualified breeders is a problem.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM »
Breeders breed for looks and that is a problem. They sometimes inbreed the dogs for looks and not companionship, which leads to disease and illness.

Depends...

I tend to ask a lot of questions.  So when my g/f & I went back to the breeders for weekly play dates after we had the pup....I began asking why she bred her bitch with that particular stud.  Looks of course are right up there, but so is temperament.  Also, there was a lot of other things taken in consideration like hips, elbows, etc...  Believe it or not, she has excellent blood-line history of both & how she made her decision.

My g/f had to sign an agreement with the breeder that we would not stud the dog until he was 2 & had been checked out.  She runs a reputable kennel & doesn't want his name (which is her kennel name) being spread all over the countryside with dogs with deficiencies.  There was more to the agreement, but we really haven't sat down & looked at it because it's not a big priority at this time & the pup is just a year old.  All the time, we get stopped because people see him & instantly want to know if we will stud him.  The way he looks & the way he carries himself attracts attention.  When we tell them "no" because he's too young & we have an agreement with the breeder....they react pretty weird.  The first response is "well, we don't have to tell your breeder."  

I don't know...but stuff like this is where it all starts.  Stud fee's can bring quick & easy money for little or no trouble.  

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
I would not have a problem with having to register a dog as long as the rule applied to all breeds. That is a fair idea.Imo laws involving dogs and or pets should be tougher. There should be much harsher penalties for dog fighting, abuse, and neglect. I am talking laws that are actually enforced.Tougher laws that hold retards  accountable who train dogs into weapons. If Johnny crack dealing was looking at 3 - 5 years for training pits to attack people he might think twice about doing it.
The next fool might think twice about taking pits and turning them into drug house attack dogs if there "boy" is serving a extra 3 years on his drug charge when his k9 was found to be abused and trained to maul people.

Someone needs to set up some rules and regulations that require "breeders" to follow certain rules if they want to sell puppies. Back yard breeding by unqualified breeders is a problem.

To some degree I can accept ideas on registration....but it's not different than gun registration.

Let's say "hypothetically" a registration comes around for all dogs.  You register your pup & 5 years later...they come out with a law banning Rottweilers for example.  Well, they pull a file & they have everyone on record that they will contact, confiscate, & destroy the dog.

Registration acts make it too easy for lawmakers to enforce new bans or legislation for HONEST law abiding citizens.

body88

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
Depends...

I tend to ask a lot of questions.  So when my g/f & I went back to the breeders for weekly play dates after we had the pup....I began asking why she bred her bitch with that particular stud.  Looks of course are right up there, but so is temperament.  Also, there was a lot of other things taken in consideration like hips, elbows, etc...  Believe it or not, she has excellent blood-line history of both & how she made her decision.

My g/f had to sign an agreement with the breeder that we would not stud the dog until he was 2 & had been checked out.  She runs a reputable kennel & doesn't want his name (which is her kennel name) being spread all over the countryside with dogs with deficiencies.  There was more to the agreement, but we really haven't sat down & looked at it because it's not a big priority at this time & the pup is just a year old.  All the time, we get stopped because people see him & instantly want to know if we will stud him.  The way he looks & the way he carries himself attracts attention.  When we tell them "no" because he's too young & we have an agreement with the breeder....they react pretty weird.  The first response is "well, we don't have to tell your breeder."  

I don't know...but stuff like this is where it all starts.  Stud fee's can bring quick & easy money for little or no trouble.  

A good breeder will always make you sign a agreement like knny is talking about. A good breeder is about the betterment of the breed as a whole. Some breeders will even interview you before they sell you a dog. My ab came with full hip guarantees and I also had to sign a agreement. That was after she asked me questions.

body88

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »
To some degree I can accept ideas on registration....but it's not different than gun registration.

Let's say "hypothetically" a registration comes around for all dogs.  You register your pup & 5 years later...they come out with a law banning Rottweilers for example.  Well, they pull a file & they have everyone on record that they will contact, confiscate, & destroy the dog.

Registration acts make it too easy for lawmakers to enforce new bans or legislation for HONEST law abiding citizens.

Very good point. I was speaking under the premise that the registration would be friendly to dog owners such as ourselves also. I would never sign anything unless I was sure something like that could not happen.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
Very good point. I was speaking under the premise that the registration would be friendly to dog owners such as ourselves also. I would nefver sign anything unless I was sure something like that could not happen.

But's thats the problem with any registration.  You don't know what the government can use it for down the road.  There's never a guarantee with a registration what it can & cannot be used for.

Hell, Hitler did it with the Jewish community.  I'm not sure if the American Government would be any different with guns let alone dogs.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »
It would be simple registration and a written exam to weed out the hip-hop and thug types. But even they could become good owners if they put forth the effort to lern about their dogs, which a written exam would force them to do.

But's thats the problem with any registration.  You don't know what the government can use it for down the road.  There's never a guarantee with a registration what it can & cannot be used for.

If your dog does something then you get fined. I wouldn't want people's pets being taken away.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 05:54:57 PM »
This is what's sick about the choice Denver City Council made, good dogs that are not dangerous any more dangerous than other dogs, that were not bred/raised to attack are being taken away an killed.  Did they go after the problem, bad breeders?  Hell no.. They ignorantly choose to solve the problem by killing off the entire issue ::)  Just makes me sick to hear Hedge agree with such an extremely bad decision.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
 >:(
abso-fucking-lutely re-fucking-dick-ulous, if this were transfered to people, which race would go away first?

for my own safety, I would feel better if we could get the race who commits the most crimes erradicated.

get on this immediately!!! >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »
There are some dumb pet rules in colorado.  Aurora you can have constrictor snakes but if they get 3' feet long they are prohibited.  So you can buy pets in aurora that will in a short time breach their allowed length and have to be put down ::)  3 feet... ::) That rule actually goes for Iguanas!!!...  No shit, watch out for those dangerous Iguanas larger than 3' in Aurora Colorado, they'll eat all your cabage ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »
yeah ::) attack of the killer iguana!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
if this were transfered to people, which race would go away first?

I don't know about race.....but it would most definitely be of female gender

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
>:(
abso-fucking-lutely re-fucking-dick-ulous, if this were transfered to people, which race would go away first?

for my own safety, I would feel better if we could get the race who commits the most crimes erradicated.

get on this immediately!!! >:(

Pets are not humans.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »
Pets are not humans.

-Hedge
trying to prove a point, what's next? I don't like those little, yappy mouthed furballs that some call dogs, should I start a petition to ban those mouthy fucks? I know, personally, seven people who have been bitten by small dogs, not even their own! and I know eight people with pits and four have kids, none have been bitten. so that's good enough to ban those little fuckers!!! let's say anything under 16" at the shoulder, sound good?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
Pets are not humans.

-Hedge
horses aren't a necessity as you say.  They don't provide a greater purpose that makes them absolutely needed...  They are replaceable in almost every way and per capita they are one of the most dangerous animals. 1 for 1 your chances of being hurt/killed by your encounter with a horse is way more than your encounter with a pitt.  Are you for banning horses hedge ::)

kcklassic

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »
this is my new girl, she is around 6 months old, got her when she was 13 weeks old have been training the hell out of her perfect dog...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 12:52:14 AM »
horses aren't a necessity as you say.  They don't provide a greater purpose that makes them absolutely needed...  They are replaceable in almost every way and per capita they are one of the most dangerous animals. 1 for 1 your chances of being hurt/killed by your encounter with a horse is way more than your encounter with a pitt.  Are you for banning horses hedge ::)

You are correct. I'm no big fan of horses either. But horses don't injure the innocent bystanders. They injure or kill their riders.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 01:19:33 AM »
You are correct. I'm no big fan of horses either. But horses don't injure the innocent bystanders. They injure or kill their riders.

-Hedge
So this is just about innocents...  You're all bent out of shape over 6 deaths per year but you're ok with autos killing 40,000 to 50,000 innocent people in U.S. yearly because autos serve a greater good than the 40,000 people torn to pieces in auto accidents ::) And what of the greather good served by having a dog capable of guarding your family and property?  That serves no greater good in your mind??? You're completely unwilling to address how many lives may have been saved by these animals right?  I'll bet it's not hard to envision they save more than 6 people a year!!!  Let me guess you again, that's what the police are for right ::)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 05:53:35 AM »
  This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...NO WAY would I give up a pet for execution simply because some idiots decide to turn their dog into a weapon. How in the hell did mentally stable people allow a bull shit law like this to be passed? unbelievable. :(

Another thing....What is going to stop them from killing a dog that isn't a pit..because it looks like a pit? Surely not all pits have papers stating their breed.I don't know. To someone like me,who isn't a dog expert,body's dog at first glance looks like a pit.Obviously those who know,it doesn't...but to many people who don't know dogs,any muscular bull type dog is a pit...I don't know maybe that is far fetched since animal control people would know...but it's still possible I think.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 06:03:36 AM »

To the Amish they are a necessity.     :)