Author Topic: Pit Bull Owners Sue Over Denver's Euthanizing Dog Ban  (Read 10506 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Pit Bull Owners Sue Over Denver's Euthanizing Dog Ban
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:24:50 AM »
DENVER -- Three pit bull owners have filed a federal lawsuit challenging Denver's ban on the breed that gives owners a choice of moving out of the city or giving up their pets to have them put to death.

A least 1,110 dogs have been seized and killed under the law, which went into effect during the spring of 2005, according to the lawsuit's backers.

"The lawsuit alleges that Denver's ordinance violates (the) plaintiffs' Fourteenth Amendment rights to liberty and property and to due process of law," the Progressive Law Center, which joined in filing the suit, said in a statement Monday.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Sonya Dias and Hillary Engel, who said they were forced to move out of Denver because of the pit bull ordinance, and Sheryl White, whose dog allegedly was seized under the city ban.

cont... http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/11602489/detail.html

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Pit Bull Owners Sue Over Denver's Euthanizing Dog Ban
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:45:21 AM »
I would simply move...or just say the hell with it & wait to be arrested.  If that happened to me....I'd rather go to jail instead of voluntary killing my dog.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »
I would simply move...or just say the hell with it & wait to be arrested.  If that happened to me....I'd rather go to jail instead of voluntary killing my dog.

I agree with you. No way I would just let them take my dog like it's china.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »
Good to see this law enforced in Denver.

Will be interesting to see what effects it has on number of attacked persons by dogs per year.

If there are changes, I definitely would be in support of a world-wide ban.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »
Good to see this law enforced in Denver.

Will be interesting to see what effects it has on number of attacked persons by dogs per year.

If there are changes, I definitely would be in support of a world-wide ban.

-Hedge
:o There's no way you're serious :-\

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
:o There's no way you're serious :-\

If getting rid of pits decreases attacks on people then of course they should be banned.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
There are alternative dog models.

A Golden Retriever is an excellent alternative, would fit perfect with all these tough guys raising "Pits".

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Get rid of "the most dangerous dog" and there is a next most dangerous dog.  Don't think for a second it won't become a target when all the pits are gone.  Also the property and lives saved by dogs should not be left out of the equation, but it always is left out.  How many lives have been saved when a murderer/burglar/rapists or other psycho backed away from that property when deterred by the sound of dogs ready to annihilate the intruder. For anyone serious about banning these dogs, I hope to hell you don't drive or support others driving because the number that die just as viciously is hundreds of times greater than those that lose their lives by dog attacks.  This is fucking retarded, sorry guys.

around 30 people or less die of dog attacks per year, that's from all dog breeds, about 6 are killed annually by pits

There is no way you can be pro gun and anti pit bull, accidental deaths by gunshot alone is about 700 per year.
Killed in car accidents 42,116... Ban cars bigtime!!!!
Approx 800 die yearly riding their bicycles... Ban Bikes!!!!
Killed in airline crashes (of 477m passenger trips) 120  Even this low number is way more than the number of people killed by dogs, ban air travel!!!!
Over 1,300 Americans Die Annually Because of Alcohol Poisoning... Oh good god no... Here comes prohibition again!!!!  booze way more dangerous than dogs!!!!
The annual death rate of those killed by dogs is similar to those killed annually by gokarts! http://www.cpsc.gov/library/gokart.pdf  Are gokarts banned?  No?  Hmmm?  Why???

6 people killed by Pits per year, not one estimate is made on how many people were saved by having a guard dog...  Very disturbing bias...

Horses are more dangerous than dogs!  Should we ban them too ???
Fatality rates per 100,000 participants
Horse racing: 128
Sky diving: 123
Hang gliding: 56
Mountaineering: 51

In 2003 there were 740 ATV related deaths, Ban ATVs!!!!!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:26:17 PM »

A Golden Retriever is an excellent alternative, would fit perfect with all these tough guys raising "Pits".

-Hedge

Golden retrievers are annoying, incredibly hyper and not nearly as loving as an american pit bull terrier.  The owners are the problem, not the dogs... the owners- and ignorant fucks like you.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
^^^^^^^I support the above post^^^^^

if I go further it will only be negative
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 03:10:27 AM »
Get rid of "the most dangerous dog" and there is a next most dangerous dog.  Don't think for a second it won't become a target when all the pits are gone.  Also the property and lives saved by dogs should not be left out of the equation, but it always is left out.  How many lives have been saved when a murderer/burglar/rapists or other psycho backed away from that property when deterred by the sound of dogs ready to annihilate the intruder. For anyone serious about banning these dogs, I hope to hell you don't drive or support others driving because the number that die just as viciously is hundreds of times greater than those that lose their lives by dog attacks.  This is fucking retarded, sorry guys.

around 30 people or less die of dog attacks per year, that's from all dog breeds, about 6 are killed annually by pits

There is no way you can be pro gun and anti pit bull, accidental deaths by gunshot alone is about 700 per year.
Killed in airline crashes (of 477m passenger trips) 120  Even this low number is way more than the number of people killed by dogs, ban air travel!!!!
Over 1,300 Americans Die Annually Because of Alcohol Poisoning... Oh good god no... Here comes prohibition again!!!!  booze way more dangerous than dogs!!!!
The annual death rate of those killed by dogs is similar to those killed annually by gokarts! http://www.cpsc.gov/library/gokart.pdf  Are gokarts banned?  No?  Hmmm?  Why???

6 people killed by Pits per year, not one estimate is made on how many people were saved by having a guard dog...  Very disturbing bias...

Pit bulls are special, since there are alternatives.

Cars, bikes, airplanes, they all have great benefits that far outweigh any negatives.

Pit bulls on the other hand.. lets just see what happens in Denver. If there is no change in number of attacks, I will readily admit I was wrong. Of course.

But if there is a drop in attacks, a permanent drop, then I am all for it.

Another aspect that should be looked into is probably breeding rules for dogs. Right now, dogs are breeded into all kinds of shit.

Some people try to breed dogs as small as possible, some people try to breed them as big and muscular  as possible, with certain aggressive qualities, some want their dogs to have "droopy" eyes...

All of this is equally bad IMO. Dogs aren't some kind of LEGO toys that can be built into looking like whatever you want them to be.

If it were up to me, all this special breeding would be banned.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 04:19:26 AM »
OMG ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 04:53:49 AM »
OMG ::)

I actually spoke with a friend of mine who is both a dog owner and a vet, and she says that the breeding needs to be regulated, and fast. She sees a lot of dogs with diseases and disfunctions, due to the crossbreeding by perverted dog owners.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »

As you can see pitbulls have a disproportionate # of maulings compared to other breeds, basically twice as many.  Since Pits make up about only 2% of dogs out there this precentage is way out of whack. This makes me feel it is not by a coincedence.

http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pit_bull_attacks.html
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/m0047723/m0047723.asp

I do agree it is much the owner who is responsible how a dog behaves as a lab or any other breed could be a biter if raised and handled wrong or allowed to get out of control.  Me I have a healthy respect for dogs and have been around them all my life, have had 3 so far.  So I have no phobias about them, but I do respect them and understand that unfamiliar dogs could present a problem sometimes. So when around unfamiliar dogs I will check out their behaivior and act acorrdingly.  

I know this will get you Macho guys or girls off, those who have certian dogs to validate their masculinity or independence, but certian dogs will raise my stress levels sometimes if I dont know them and they would be Pits, Rots, Dobes, german shep to a lesser degree.  Yeah they are big scary dogs, must take a big, strong master to control one.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
I actually spoke with a friend of mine who is both a dog owner and a vet, and she says that the breeding needs to be regulated, and fast. She sees a lot of dogs with diseases and disfunctions, due to the crossbreeding by perverted dog owners.

-Hedge
Jesus, the world is truely going to shit... I can tell I'm going to be one of those guys that ends up living out the rest of my life lost in deep in Alaska because I can't stand fucking opinions like this.  ::)

body88

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:10:08 AM »

-Hedge

In the hands of a bad owner how would you feel around a 200lb St Bernard? The St Bernard would have a far easier time killing you then a pit. Since they are cute would you feel safe? Or would you understand a person has turned a 200lb creature into a weapon. Dogs are not born mean. Anyone who claims that knows nothing about dogs. Pitbulls temper score higher then retrievers. Just because criminals have latched on to pitbulls as the "it" dog, that does not mean they are a bad breed when in the hands of a responsible owner. They are no different then any other dog if raised correctly. Before it was pits, it was rottweilers. Before rots it was dobermans. Banning a breed will do nothing. There are a ton of other breeds people can exploit out there. What would be more effective to guard your home, a 55 lb pitbull or a 200 lb St Bernard?

It really is not fair for this breed. You speak of shelters being full of pits, and examples of cross bred pups. You know who causes that shit? Humans. You think pitbulls are born thinking, "hey im gonna cross breed, and bite someone for fun". Some thug/lowlife teaches a pitbull aggression towards humans and all the sudden the whole breed is evil. Typical way of American thinking. The quick fix! ban the whole breed! Then when another breed stars having the same problems ban that one! Forget the people fighting, abusing ,and teaching pits aggression. Just keep banning, and worry about the root of the problem after you ban everything. If you took a lab and raised it in the situation a lot of the pitbulls are put in, you might see a lot more aggressive labs. If you took a pit pup and a lab pup and raised them in the same conditions they would be the same type of dogs. There is not a higher percentage of "crazy" pits over any other breed. There are just as many "crazy" labs as pits. A crazy dog is not a common thing. Many would like to believe some pits are they way they are due to mental state. That thinking could not be farther from the truth. That is ignorance. Pitbulls are normal dogs when raised correctly. That goes for any dominant type of breed. Even with all the bullshit going on at the moment you have a far better chance of being hit by lighting or being run over by a semi , then being killed by a pitbull. If the gov actually did something about these people exploiting pits, you might have a better chance of being hit by a semi, while struck by lighting, dressed up like Elvis on Christmas. Instead of just the being struck by lightning while run over by a semi thing.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
I've seen agressive Golden Retrievers....damn thing would snarl & try to bite you

but it was due to a bad owner involving physical abuse.

Gee...I wonder if there was a connecion there?

body88

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »
I've seen agressive Golden Retrievers....damn thing would snarl & try to bite you

but it was due to a bad owner involving physical abuse.

Gee...I wonder if there was a connecion there?

I am willing to bet 98 percent of the pits you see in the news came from environment where they where abused, neglected or raised incorrectly. The news is biased anyway. I posted that link awhile back listing hundreds apon hundreds of brutal attacks on children and people by dog like labs and cocker spaniels. Every story was from an independent news station and unbiased. There where several deaths included the most notable a baby being killed by a Pomeranian. I wonder why none of those stories made the national news. You never hear about any of those stories ::) You don't get a dominant dog and just toss it in the back yard and hope it grows up to be a nice puppy. Any dog will have issues if you take that approach. Ob a dog will be aggressive if you teach it to, like a lot of these guys who get pits for "projection" do. There a certain breeds of dogs that need proper socialization and training. A pitbull is one of those breeds. No different then a German Shepard or Doberman.

How would your kid grow up if you raised it like most the people who raise these aggressive pits do? Prob turn out to be the guy robbing your house and shooting at the cops during a get away. Shit, might as well ban the whole human race for the actions of a few.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
What's next? Thug black men? they cause problems...how about transsexual prostitutes? we could kill them quick and no one would care...i'm wondering when the 21st century nazism will stop.
footloose and fancy free

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
When I was a kid....Dobermans were a hot topic

before that....it was German Shepards

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
At the very least, if Denver was dead-set on doing this, there should have been a grandfather clause for all pits registered/licensed in the city prior to the law taking effect.  There's something seriously un-American about taking away someone's pet or forcing them to sell their house and move simply on the basis of the dog's breed.  Maybe you 20-somethings and younger who are used to doing what our increasingly fascist government and media tell you to do without complaint wouldn't understand this, but I can tell you the America of 2007 and beyond is not the free country I grew up in. I don't know exactly when it started going to shit.... maybe early 90's.... but I do know it just gets worse every year.  :(
Ron: "I am lazy."

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
At the very least, if Denver was dead-set on doing this, there should have been a grandfather clause for all pits registered/licensed in the city prior to the law taking effect.  There's something seriously un-American about taking away someone's pet or forcing them to sell their house and move simply on the basis of the dog's breed.  Maybe you 20-somethings and younger who are used to doing what our increasingly fascist government and media tell you to do without complaint wouldn't understand this, but I can tell you the America of 2007 and beyond is not the free country I grew up in. I don't know exactly when it started going to shit.... maybe early 90's.... but I do know it just gets worse every year.  :(

Wow....I need to frame this.

Goatboy does have a brain & a heart!

;D

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 03:26:15 PM »
There are just as many "crazy" labs as pits.

True, being as how my girlfriend works at the SPCA in OAKLAND, CA she sees labs that at 6 weeks old love humans, only to come back around 3 months old and be snapping and human aggressive.  guess who there owners were?  ghetto white people, ghetto black people, ghetto mexicans, etc...  Its the owners who fuck up the dogs.  She'll tell them, "ok, you need to restrain and muzzle your dog before we can look at it," and they'll laugh and say how tough and defensive their dog is.  You can't take a 6 week old dog who loves humans and turn it against humans unless you train it that way.  Its not the nature of DOGS, aka MAN'S BEST FRIEND.  The title is not a useless moniker, but a title earned over eons of cohabitation. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
It's pretty sad because people are taking advantage of the fact that typically pits are heavily muscled dogs with large powerful jaws.

You can make an 'angry' dog out of any breed...but who the hell would be terrified of a barking/snapping Pomeranian or Beagal.  Sure...you wouldn't put your hand out for them to sniff...but if they lunged at me a side step & quick kick would send them hurling.

Someone brought up St Bernards.  Those dogs can easily weigh more than a man & if it was trained, could maul a man easily.

I think most people don't think about making an aggressive St Bernard because for one...they're the size of a small horse & require a lot more maintenace.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
Jesus, the world is truely going to shit... I can tell I'm going to be one of those guys that ends up living out the rest of my life lost in deep in Alaska because I can't stand fucking opinions like this.  ::)

Breeders breed for looks and that is a problem. They sometimes inbreed the dogs for looks and not companionship, which leads to disease and illness.