Author Topic: Democrats to introduce "Paid Vacation Act" - (Can't make this up)  (Read 2038 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
By ERIKA LOVLEY | 5/21/09 4:28 AM EDT   Text Size:     

The legislation would be the first to make paid vacation time a requirement under federal law.
Photo: AP 

Rep. Alan Grayson was standing in the middle of Disney World when it hit him: What Americans really need is a week of paid vacation.

So on Thursday, the Florida Democrat will introduce the Paid Vacation Act — legislation that would be the first to make paid vacation time a requirement under federal law.

The bill would require companies with more than 100 employees to offer a week of paid vacation for both full-time and part-time employees after they’ve put in a year on the job. Three years after the effective date of the law, those same companies would be required to provide two weeks of paid vacation, and companies with 50 or more employees would have to provide one week.

The idea: More vacation will stimulate the economy through fewer sick days, better productivity and happier employees.

“There’s a reason why Disney World is the happiest place on Earth: The people who go there are on vacation,” said Grayson, a freshman who counts Orlando as part of his home district. “Honestly, as much as I appreciate this job and as much as I enjoy it, the best days of my life are and always have been the days I’m on vacation.”

According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, 28 million Americans — or about a quarter of the work force — don’t get any paid vacation. The center says that a lack of vacation causes stress and workplace burnout and that those evil twins cost the economy more than $300 billion each year.

One more if-you’re-reading-this-then-you’re-probably-not-on-vacation fact: The United States is dead last among 21 industrial countries when it comes to mandatory R&R.

France currently requires employers to provide 30 days of paid leave.

Not surprisingly, some in the travel industry are salivating over Grayson’s bill; Grayson spokesman Todd Jurkowski said the U.S. Tour Operators Association and the Adventure Travel Trade Association are both on board. Other tourism and labor groups are expected to sign on in the coming days.

The U.S. Travel Association has not yet endorsed the measure, but Senior Vice President Geoff Freeman says Congress does need to consider new ways to stimulate the vacation industry and travel economy. 

So far, no group has come out in opposition of the bill. Nor has anyone announced opposition to roller coaster rides, cookouts on the beach or salt-water taffy on the boardwalk.

But with many Americans out of work and an economy in shambles, some say this may not be the best time to propose more time away from the office, especially on the boss’s dime.

The Society for Human Resource Management issued a statement Wednesday warning that “a one-size-fits-all, government-imposed mandate is not the answer.”

Because of the 50- and 100-employee thresholds, most small businesses wouldn’t be directly affected by the bill immediately. But the National Small Business Association warned of indirect consequences; companies might artificially hold their hiring at the 50-to-100-employee level to avoid the costs of paid vacation time.

The bill also could have a negative impact on manufacturers already bracing for higher costs that could be associated with the climate-change legislation working its way through the House.

One place where the bill wouldn’t have much of an effect: Capitol Hill.

Congressional staffers already get paid vacation, even if they don’t actually have time to take it. And members can take time off during recesses — as they will next week — albeit not as much as they once did.

While members once had much of the summer off, Congress will be in session this year virtually all of June and July. That leaves August, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says that’s not really enough time to unwind.

“I’m off in the state for a full month catching up on all the things I’ve missed throughout the year, but you don’t have time for yourself,” she said. “You don’t have much time for your family. And after a while, you do start to get just tired.”

Grayson’s bill is part of a larger move by Democrats to improve employee and workplace standards. Earlier this month, Democrats introduced a bill that would make employers give mandatory sick time.

“The committee is looking at a number of proposals to help workers balance family responsibilities and work duties,” said House Education and Labor Committee spokesman Aaron Albright. “The fact is the United States is behind the rest of the world in ensuring that workplaces have paid leave policies. These policies not only benefit workers but also help the employers’ bottom line because of lower turnover and better job satisfaction.”

But in the workaholic world of Washington, not everyone is so impressed with the restorative — or stimulative — powers of time unplugged.

Asked Tuesday what he’d do with an extra week of paid vacation, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said: “I’d keep the cash and spend the week working on the farm, with my BlackBerry and office files.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

Every time I read this nonsense, I am reminded why I will never vote for a democrat. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Democrats to introduce "Paid Vacation Act" - (Can't make this up)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:21:57 AM »
Every time I read this nonsense, I am reminded why I will never vote for a democrat. 

well, aside from bloomberg...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:25:38 AM »
well, aside from bloomberg...

You got me on that fine, but Bloomberg is rare breed for a democrat. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:43:25 AM »
Is there ANYTHING they wont do to further destroy buisiness?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
Is there ANYTHING they wont do to further destroy buisiness?

These liberal fanatics wont be happy until we have 35% UE. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
You got me on that fine, but Bloomberg is rare breed for a democrat. 

Pro-Gun?

no wait, he's anti-gun.  That's right.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
Have you ever considered that a high turnover rate is a direct result of employee stress, especially with large corporate employers?

Every single other Industrialized nation, including those that are way ahead of us, have Federal paid vacations.  As a direct result, lower employee turnover rates.  This will also allow employees a bit of time off to go to the doctor, make arrangements for their family etc...  Talk to most people and their "paid vacation" is not spent taking a cruise to the Virgin Islands, instead it is doing things they HAVE to do outside of work, but have not been able to do given the time restraint.

In fact, this will save corporations more money as they will curtail employee stress and therefore reduce the turnover rate which will save on training costs of hiring another employee.

3336, you run a one man operation and decide when you take off and when you don`t.  You are not locked in as a majority of people are and never had to deal with such issues.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 07:54:41 AM »
Have you ever considered that a high turnover rate is a direct result of employee stress, especially with large corporate employers?

Every single other Industrialized nation, including those that are way ahead of us, have Federal paid vacations.  As a direct result, lower employee turnover rates.  This will also allow employees a bit of time off to go to the doctor, make arrangements for their family etc...  Talk to most people and their "paid vacation" is not spent taking a cruise to the Virgin Islands, instead it is doing things they HAVE to do outside of work, but have not been able to do given the time restraint.

In fact, this will save corporations more money as they will curtail employee stress and therefore reduce the turnover rate which will save on training costs of hiring another employee.

3336, you run a one man operation and decide when you take off and when you don`t.  You are not locked in as a majority of people are and never had to deal with such issues.

I have three people.  The other two work on 1099 based on what they produce.  Regardless of my personal situation, this type of law guarantees a few things:

1.  Higher unemployment like in Europe
2.  Lower Wages
3.  Companies less willing to go over threshholds mandated by the law.

See the Schiff video I posted on this today.  He addresses this law at the end.

At a time when the economy needs more jobs, the last thing we need to do is put more madates on employers.     

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:55:12 AM »
From YOUR article.

According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, 28 million Americans — or about a quarter of the work force — don’t get any paid vacation. The center says that a lack of vacation causes stress and workplace burnout and that those evil twins cost the economy more than $300 billion each year.

One more if-you’re-reading-this-then-you’re-probably-not-on-vacation fact: The United States is dead last among 21 industrial countries when it comes to mandatory R&R.

France currently requires employers to provide 30 days of paid leave.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »
Yeah..how's France done in the last 50 years? Whats France done in the last 50 years? If u want a day off...work ur ass off to put urself in a postion to get a job that will allow u to get a week off.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 07:58:07 AM »
Those are estimates from a "think tank."  

RIGHT NOW, MOST COMPANIES ARE RUNNING LEAN AND MEAN AS IT IS IN ORDER TO SURVIVE.  

By adding to their burden with a law like this you guaranty a few things:

1.  They outsource work to stay under the threshhold  
2.  They reduce the pay the employee to compensate for the time off.  
3.  They simply dont hire people.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 07:58:22 AM »
I have three people.  The other two work on 1099 based on what they produce.  Regardless of my personal situation, this type of law guarantees a few things:

1.  Higher unemployment like in Europe
2.  Lower Wages
3.  Companies less willing to go over threshholds mandated by the law.

See the Schiff video I posted on this today.  He addresses this law at the end.

At a time when the economy needs more jobs, the last thing we need to do is put more madates on employers.     
uh,
1. The EU has a LOWER unemployment rate than the United States

2.The EU has higher wages per capita

3. Blah Blah Blah.  Point 3 is nonsensical.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
Yeah..how's France done in the last 50 years? Whats France done in the last 50 years? If u want a day off...work ur ass off to put urself in a postion to get a job that will allow u to get a week off.
Lead the world in Stem Cell Research.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
Shit most euro countries get 6 weeks paid vacation...  they arent in debt like us... they are not unhealthy like us... they are not fat fuckers like us...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 08:01:54 AM »
Gee thats great..stem cell research. The EU unemployment rate is 8.2% the US has 8.6......we've been below 5% up until recently.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 08:03:01 AM »
Lead the world in Stem Cell Research.

I have no idea where you make your nonsense up from:

http://www.federalunion.org.uk/europe/060610EuropevsAmerica.shtml

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
Gee thats great..stem cell research. The EU unemployment rate is 8.2% the US has 8.6......we've been below 5% up until recently.

U6 is the broadest measure of unemployment in the civilian labor force in the U.S. economy and includes those who need work but have given up the search, and those who have taken part-time jobs while still seeking full time employment.  In April, that figure rose by 0.6% to 15.8%

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »
Shit most euro countries get 6 weeks paid vacation...  they arent in debt like us... they are not unhealthy like us... they are not fat fuckers like us...

Do you even read a newspaper or at least financial website???  

The UK is about to have its DEBT downgraded.

GER's economy is shrinking fast.

And on and on.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:39 AM »
[/quote

Lets see....

Less Crime...
Healthier...
Less Debt to each citizen...
Free Healthcare..
Mothers get a year off after birth... (6 months paid)
Safer...

When was the last time you were there?  I was about a year ago...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »
Well lets see..in the last six months I've been in German twice...Korea..Twice and Japan once....ur point.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »
Well lets see..in the last six months I've been in German twice...Korea..Twice and Japan once....ur point.

Busted in the Head is devoid of any sense when it comes to matter dealing with fact.  Shit, he can't even spell correctly.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »
Visiting France doesn't make any difference to this debate. France doesn't matter.
L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »
Do you think everyone in the military should get Paid Leave?  If so, why?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »
I get 30 days off a year..or 2.5 days per month. Have u ever worked 365 days straight...without more then an afternoon off? Have u ever spent 30 plus days without a shower...ever spent weeks in sustained combat....ever bailed out ur subordinates from jail, many times...delt with wives and girlfriends, financial issues....missed every major holiday in a calendar year. Where will u spend this Thanksgivings and christmas...mine will be in Iraq. I earn my 30. I barely take em, but i earn em.
L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »
I get 30 days off a year..or 2.5 days per month. Have u ever worked 365 days straight...without more then an afternoon off? Have u ever spent 30 plus days without a shower...ever spent weeks in sustained combat....ever bailed out ur subordinates from jail, many times...delt with wives and girlfriends, financial issues....missed every major holiday in a calendar year. Where will u spend this Thanksgivings and christmas...mine will be in Iraq. I earn my 30. I barely take em, but i earn em.
I don`t celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving.