Author Topic: Does anyone actually do full ROM on every exercise?  (Read 4828 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Does anyone actually do full ROM on every exercise?
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »
Whilst I see some great strength on getbig I rarely see full ROM

How come?

P.s This is not an attack on anyone or a rip. Just curious

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: Does anyone actually do full ROM on every exercise?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »
Doesn't doing the full ROM take the tension off the muscle?
$

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:04 PM »
Doing static holds will keep tension on the muscle like a half pressup.

It develops strength in an exercise fully. e.g bench press

Strength off the chest and to lockout=fuller development which will leader to bigger muscles.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
yeah.. i do..

don't get me started on my ROM rant.  It basically comes down to if there's not a medical or physical reason as to why you can't do full range of motion.. you should be doing it. For those that only go to 90* on your bench and some other bullshit, 90* only means you're halfway to becoming a man..

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
Board presses rack pulls etc i understand.

A pandemic of half chins and half benches has engulfed my gym. Mainly a few guys watched a Jay Cutler dvd and told others about it

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
Some exercises lend themselves better to a full range of motion than others in my book. Squats for example I do a full range of motion, as well as all bicep and back work - anything that involves a squeeze and a stretch at either end of the rep.

However, there are some exercises that lend themselves to doing a rep range where as long as you go past the weakest point and then raise the weight, you wil get the benefit. I have proven this on myself - my strongest bodyparts in terms of size and strength are shoulders, chest, and triceps, yet I probably don't do a completely full range of motion on any of them, not the compound movements anyway. The smaller isolation exercises yes, but not the big mass building exercises - the muscle will still get worked effectively enough.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
I tend to disagree though i respect you as your honest and have great strength mate.

On a bnech press the first 1/3 is the chest mainly, the second 1/3 is the shoulders and the top 1/3 is thr triceps. To not go all the way down to me eliminates the chest. Yes it is keeping tension on the muscles to go 2/3 or 3/4 way down but that tension is mainly on shoulders and tri's and less on the chest. The chest is worked much better through the initial push

dustin

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
For the most part, yes. Stuff like back, it's pretty much imperative, imho. Also, you don't want to submit yourself to potential injuries.

I do a few sets of dumbbell presses with less than full motion though. It really hits the chest hard and I firmly believe that it's helped mine to grow more than straight full ROM lifting. But I don't cheat up weights that are a trillion pounds heavier than I can lift.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
I tend to disagree though i respect you as your honest and have great strength mate.

On a bnech press the first 1/3 is the chest mainly, the second 1/3 is the shoulders and the top 1/3 is thr triceps. To not go all the way down to me eliminates the chest. Yes it is keeping tension on the muscles to go 2/3 or 3/4 way down but that tension is mainly on shoulders and tri's and less on the chest. The chest is worked much better through the initial push

Probably true actually - although my chest is improving dramatically, my shoulders and triceps have always overpowered it. Funny thing is, now that i incorprate more isolation exercises into my chest routine, such as flat Hammer presses and flyes with a full range of motion, my chest has come on in leaps and bounds so there's definitely truth to it.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
man do what you do you have me beat on size and strength lol

However people like you are rare who can do it and get away from it.

I found flyes actually really beefed up my chest. pausing the bar in bench pressing also and heavy inclines help dramatically

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

I see where youre going.  ::)

It was a matter of time till someone cried about 3/4 rep.  ::)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
No man i give BigJ props etc, before he posted the vids i believed him etc

I have no issue with that in particular as with full ROM he could still get 4-6 reps with a weight i flat bench for 4-6 and struggle

ninja turtle

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
If you say you need to do full range on all excersises, it clearly shows that you dont have enough expiriance lifting or just plain not smart enough.

Someone said full range=bigger muscles --> i say bullshit, it depends what excersize it is.
Leg press is a typical movement that you should not lock out!! Leg press without lock out has only positive aspects:
- more intense
- no rest during set
- more tension
- bigger hypertrophy

Ronnie squatting is the best way to train legs, going deep and no lock-out, perfect form for intense workout and bigger muscles.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
Ronnie could have done b/w squats and still had 30" legs the drugs he was on

Yes you get more tension blah blah blah.

Like i said doing a static hold after doing 30 pushups will also be pretty intense.

Leg press with lockout has lockout strength, go to lockout you are workoing more muscle.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
If you say you need to do full range on all excersises, it clearly shows that you dont have enough expiriance lifting or just plain not smart enough.

The problem is that some equate full ROM with harder work ethic and masculinity, and partials with taking it easy.

In many cases less than full ROM has several benefits, (1) greater recruitment of muscle fibers,(2) reduced chance of injury of the connective tissues that are stressed at the beginning/end points, and (3) greater TOT/time under tension.

Funny thing is, now that i incorprate more isolation exercises into my chest routine, such as flat Hammer presses and flyes with a full range of motion, my chest has come on in leaps and bounds so there's definitely truth to it.

Good example of going against the usual follow the leader conventional thinking both in terms of isolations over compounds and machines over weights.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
mothing wrong with big J range of motion
... i personally touch my chest and my delts in pressing excercises but i never lock out
one day i just stopped locking out.. works better for me....only time i will lock out is if im doung a single.. which is rare
choice is an illusion

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »
no, i barely EVER lock out on exercises

ninja turtle

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
Doing machine flyes with handgrip will drastically improve your outer upper pecs, in a short period of time. In my case it builds pecs much faster than doing barbell bench. The strange thing is i can do machine flyes with maximum load of 200 kg for a easy 13 reps, but i struggle with 40 kg incline dumbell presses. I never do flat bench, think its a waste of time, just cant feel it in the chest, i always do slighty incline. Dumbell presses is a movement i like to do in full range, its a power movement and i pretend that im punching somebody while i bring the weight up, its a good strength excersize, but i still think isolated movements make the muscle grow faster.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
yeah.. i do..

don't get me started on my ROM rant.  It basically comes down to if there's not a medical or physical reason as to why you can't do full range of motion.. you should be doing it. For those that only go to 90* on your bench and some other bullshit, 90* only means you're halfway to becoming a man..
no offense man but didn't you have a video where you were doing half rep inclines?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Doing machine flyes with handgrip will drastically improve your outer upper pecs, in a short period of time. In my case it builds pecs much faster than doing barbell bench. The strange thing is i can do machine flyes with maximum load of 200 kg for a easy 13 reps, but i struggle with 40 kg incline dumbell presses. I never do flat bench, think its a waste of time, just cant feel it in the chest, i always do slighty incline. Dumbell presses is a movement i like to do in full range, its a power movement and i pretend that im punching somebody while i bring the weight up, its a good strength excersize, but i still think isolated movements make the muscle grow faster.
machine flyes with 440 pounds for 13 reps?

ninja turtle

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »

yes the whole stack, 200 kg, i just joined a gym 1 month ago, used to train at home, first time i tried their flyes machine and did that, was amazed myself how easy it went, i asked the trainers if that really was 200 kg, people stared while i finished my set, expecially for a relative small guy like myself. And no, i wont tape it, try it yourself if i can do it, you surely can to.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »
yes the whole stack, 200 kg, i just joined a gym 1 month ago, used to train at home, first time i tried their flyes machine and did that, was amazed myself how easy it went, i asked the trainers if that really was 200 kg, people stared while i finished my set, expecially for a relative small guy like myself. And no, i wont tape it, try it yourself if i can do it, you surely can to.
i'm not doubting you but i've just never seen a flye machine that had a 440 pound stack, that's all i was saying.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »
Yeah, I caught that too. That machine must have a million pulley wheels; the mechanical advantage must be 4-5:1.

ninja turtle

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »
Yeah, I caught that too. That machine must have a million pulley wheels; the mechanical advantage must be 4-5:1.

New equipment i quess, 20 X 10kg

you humble canadian

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
I like to do partial range of motion occasionally. On the flat bench I will stay in the bottom half of the rep and it seems to be much better for my chest development, really keeps the stress on the pecs.