Author Topic: WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DO NOT MAKE ANY PROGRESS?  (Read 8263 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DO NOT MAKE ANY PROGRESS?
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
on a smith with admitted limited range of motion, anybody who's even kinda strong should be able to pull that off....well, guess that rules you out ;D ;D ;D

You know it.  ;)
just push some weight!

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2007, 07:16:48 PM »
You can't sum up everyone is one post, but here are the top 3 reasons I believe:
1. Diet
2. Effort put forth in each workout
3. Consitency over time

For some, it's just not that important.  Lifting is extremely boring to me, if I'm not pushing towards some look, bulking up or cutting up.  Going through the motions with no intensity is just gay.  I'd rather not lift.
Almost nobody has a conistent great diet for months at a time, let alone years.
N

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »
look at the fat bitch on the treadmill??? she walks at 1 mile talking to her friend next to her, whats the purpose of that, she is obviously going to the gym to lose weight, but i figure in the fat bitches mind she always knows she will never lose weight or look good..

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
look at the fat bitch on the treadmill??? she walks at 1 mile talking to her friend next to her, whats the purpose of that, she is obviously going to the gym to lose weight, but i figure in the fat bitches mind she always knows she will never lose weight or look good..

(1) Its pointless killing yourself in the gym today when a few years from now you will look back and wonder why you ended up with the knee and shoulder joints of a 75 year old at age 40.

2) Looking forward say 10 years from now, its better to train today with medium weight 1 - 3 times per week with 3 small meals a day.

That way you save your body for the future, a wise choice IMO.

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
Hi TA!  :D

Yeah well its YOUR CHOICE bud, but I bet you at age 60, I'll be the one still standing with a good physique and having the last smilie. ;-)

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »
My choice that you are TA? Nahh, I can't control who you are...or which one of your personalities decides to express itself.

Again, you pump yourself full of steroids and heavy weights, I'll stay clean and in shape and we'll see who is the last one standing.

Deal or no deal, buddie?

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2007, 10:38:36 PM »
Geeze TA, who said I pump myself full of steroids and lift heavy weights? Steroids are illegal and really, really bad for your health. That's quite the unfair and unfounded accusation -- don't you think?
 :(

You refer to me as "TA" a dime a dozen, no? I'm assuming you workout... maybe that is an unfair and unfounded accusation as well?

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »
(1) Its pointless killing yourself in the gym today when a few years from now you will look back and wonder why you ended up with the knee and shoulder joints of a 75 year old at age 40.

2) Looking forward say 10 years from now, its better to train today with medium weight 1 - 3 times per week with 3 small meals a day.

That way you save your body for the future, a wise choice IMO.
Thanks for the advice

David Shaw

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:56 PM »
Yes, but you are TA. I'm not accusing you. It's an obvious fact. I like your True Adonis personality much better -- at least you advocate McDonalds and Ben & Jerrys: two things I really like! This personality is too...hmm, how to say it?...troll-ish? ...I guess that's an apt description....sorry I can't come up with a better description right now off the top of my head...

Well, most older guys here have the wisdom that comes with bodybuilding for decades, I'm in that 'troll category' if you like. ;=9

Yeah, the muscle memory doesnt take long to kick in **if** I want to up the weights, but whats the point if only to scare a few skankists with a great side chest, huh?

Sure, I enjoy getbig and being only a post away from chatting with a ex-N-current-champs.... something we couldnt even imagine 20 years ago if we tried.

Yeah, the "Gossip and Opinions" forum is too "katty" IMO from time to time.

There appear to be guys on this board who are acting up 'cause they don't have anything better to do.

But they are the one's who ultimately have to accept responsibility for their behaviour IMO.

Good luck with you're training and just enjoy/accept the genetics you have been blessed with.
Takes a lot of frustration out of the mix with that mindset, I can tell you!

'Cause there are a million and one guys worse off out there.

David Shaw

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2007, 12:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice

Is it better to be a sane gym kamikaze pilot or insane gym kamikaze pilot on a suicide mission?

I tell you some of the lifters here are in the second category.  :P

Maybe Ron can setup "Voting Polls" to find out??

David Shaw

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:22 AM »
I'm sorry...and you are? I was conversing with kawaks (or True Adonis, whichever he prefers) and he was accusing me of using drugs.

You're a troll like TA's alter-ego here? ok, nice to know...I'll ignore anything you post from now on.

I'm kawaks, you dingo... logged on as Mr Shaw from home.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2007, 12:09:10 AM »
I'm kawaks, you dingo... logged on as Mr Shaw from home.
Do you compete david?

David Shaw

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2007, 12:11:58 AM »
Do you compete david?

Yeah, old-school, Gaspari / Haney era circa '88.

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »
**Sorry garraeth is currently unavailable and is ignoring all your posts.**

Fuck to you! Bang bang in other man's anoos and may you have many disease gonorrhoea, syphilis, and herpes caught from sister./

I am big like can of Pepsi, so you cannot win me.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2007, 02:05:28 AM »
Yeah, old-school, Gaspari / Haney era circa '88.
Really?? what do you do now?

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2007, 02:24:07 AM »
Look at the people around you and they always look the same. Why is it so hard for them to see the truth staring back at them in the mirror and make the changes necessary?

Where this that toxic monkey dude go? He always made me laugh when he would say he bodybuilds. Almost as sad as arvilla competing onstage.

People need to stop fussin and start lifting some real weight and not half assed like the girlie men mentioned above.

So many people go too heavy so that they cant control the weight properly and so dont make improvements to their physique. Personally i made my best gains when i reduced the weight slightly and controlled the movement alot better. Sooo many people you see bouncing the bar off their chest etc for the sake of doing 2/3 plates whatever.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2007, 04:20:19 AM »
You can't sum up everyone is one post, but here are the top 3 reasons I believe:
1. Diet
2. Effort put forth in each workout
3. Consitency over time

For some, it's just not that important.  Lifting is extremely boring to me, if I'm not pushing towards some look, bulking up or cutting up.  Going through the motions with no intensity is just gay.  I'd rather not lift.
Almost nobody has a conistent great diet for months at a time, let alone years.

the one thing your forgetting is that a good % of people in the gym have no idea what they should be doing.  A guy can be consistant for 5 years but if he's consistantly doing the wrong things he's not gonna go anywhere.  YOu have to be objective in looking at yourself and deciding what does and does not work.
nasser=piece of shit

David Shaw

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2007, 04:51:37 AM »
Really?? what do you do now?

Lets just say "not lifting them heavy-assed weights".

Once you hit 40 you gotta make adjustments.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2007, 05:07:49 AM »
Ok I saw the title of this thread and had to post a link..... Whaaaat isssss the deal ???

P

Ozzy

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2007, 05:12:28 AM »
Here's the deal, NZ:

This is another perfect example of "do as I say not as I do". Mr Shaw is advising against heavy lifting, because as he puts it "the gains won't be there in 5 years". Shaw says that he's over 40 now, so his philosophy does not apply in the least to people younger than he is.

The biggest underlying factor that causes pros and ex-pros to condemn gear and heavy lifting could be as simple as "I don't want people to get better than me." I saw Lee say it in the BB Fans board, and here is another example. What a joke.

You might mean well, but hypocrasy is never cool.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
muscle grows through progressive resistance.  You can do as many fancy shmancy programs but for the most part if you drop all the garbage movements and slap on some heavy weights on compound movements you'll progress....as long as you remember to progressively increase the resistance you're working with.

it's not rocket science like some guys make it out to be.
nasser=piece of shit

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
muscle grows through progressive resistance.  You can do as many fancy shmancy programs but for the most part if you drop all the garbage movements and slap on some heavy weights on compound movements you'll progress....as long as you remember to progressively increase the resistance you're working with.

Al, it is rocket science if you look around your average gym

how many times do you see guys working out with a spotter and the spotter is doing 40% of the work. On top of that the ROM is 1/4 of what it should be.

Other than myself and maybe 2 other guys I have never seen anyone doing more than 1/3 ROM on squats in my gym.
I usually go all the way down, ofcourse I am not pushing impressive weights but still. I am trying to maximize hypertrophy.
oddly enough those 2 guys are showing gains also.

over and over I see guys with a good amount of weight for their size doing what I call "hip thrusts", nothing near a squat.

how many times have you seen little guys doing a lot of weight on the tricep press down but working their shoulders instead. I think that it is more a matter of them now knowing how to train properly..coupled with ego lifting.
Here comes the money shot

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
Lets just say "not lifting them heavy-assed weights".

Once you hit 40 you gotta make adjustments.
so does that mean your a Personal trainer?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
Gayer than making 'adjustments' hahahha oh brother
L

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »

I am with you, it is not rocket science. The thing I see most is people getting all gung ho about getting in shape and hitting the gym really hard, most of the way over training, and your right not focusing anything on diet, you don't have to be hardcore, but do a few basic things, in a short time they get burned out. So, they go at it for 3 weeks, missing a few work out here and there, then stop for 2 weeks or more, come back for a week, and then get discouraged because they aren't making progress. I hear from them a year later saying, I really need to get back in the gym.