Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421881 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1400 on: September 11, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
Are you an avid boxing fan?  Or just enjoy boxing training?

Both and I use to box. Had five fights in the ring in my twenties. I was 4-1. The first fight I had no idea what I was doing and was in the ring with a NY golden gloves competitor who out weighed me by twenty pounds in a gym boxing match. I saw little birdies going around my head when the ref stopped the fight saving me from going to sleep. LOL.

I stopped boxing for two reasons. If you never went in the ring with someone I can tell you it's a brutal sport. You play basketball. You play football. You don't play boxing. The second reason is that my face was getting ugly. Apparently you're not supposed to block punches with your face. I'm still pretty so I got out in time. Today it's just about the workout and the enjoyment of hitting a heavy bag that doesn't punch back.  I vainly say I've been told by young fighters that I hit the bag hard with bad intent.  Just don't get me in the ring. While I still have power punches I bet my reflexes are horrific and my endurance is probably terrible with a young fighter. Best thing for me is too hit the heavy bag and do boxing drills watching the sport on tv. I will never get in the ring again but my son in law who competes in sport jui jitsu keeps trying to goat me into the ring. He's 6'4" about 310lbs. Nope, I will just have a beer with him. I still think I can hang with him in boxing. I know I'm delusional. He's not a good striker but he is great on the ground. He does come from a family of fighters.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1401 on: September 13, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
In South Carolina  on vacation. A gym a block away from my condo charged me $26 dollars for a week's membership. I have a feeling I'm not in New Jersey anymore. Used some stuff I never have access to use.  I trained back and chest.  Used a lazy man's pull up assist machine. For chest they had a decline Hammer strength bench. Is it me or do so many of the their machines seem to fight your joints natural paths?  Declines with dumbbells is one of the few chest exercises that don't hurt my shoulders. These Hammer declines made them scream.

Tried to do deadlifts but the knurling on their bars were completely smooth. With no chalk I couldn't grip the bar. My grip failed before my back. Had 315lb on the bar and my grip slipped on the third rep. In my basement gym I have an excellent power bar that glues to my hand. In the commercial gym I go to at home they have an excellent power bar. Ran into this in the past where a commercial gym has super expensive equipment but cheap out on the barbells they have.  All of their barbells should be thrown out. Just junk.

Tuesday is leg day. They have a leg press machine I never seen before. They also have a Hammer squat machine I want to try too.  It's fun trying new stuff. When I get to delt and arm day they have a seated dip machine that looks interesting. I don't know if it will feel different from conventional weighted dips but I guess I will find out.

Tomorrow is heavy bag and maybe some speed bag work. Their heavy bag is one of those very long MMA type bags. Maybe I will work on low kicks since the bag is so long.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1402 on: September 13, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »
Are you staying right in Myrtle Beach or north or south of Myrtle Beach?  I've been there many times over the years.  Last time maybe 10+ years ago stayed in North Myrtle.  Do you go to those all-you-can-eat crab restaurants?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1403 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
In South Carolina  on vacation. A gym a block away from my condo charged me $26 dollars for a week's membership. I have a feeling I'm not in New Jersey anymore. Used some stuff I never have access to use.  I trained back and chest.  Used a lazy man's pull up assist machine. For chest they had a decline Hammer strength bench. Is it me or do so many of the their machines seem to fight your joints natural paths?  Declines with dumbbells is one of the few chest exercises that don't hurt my shoulders. These Hammer declines made them scream.

Tried to do deadlifts but the knurling on their bars were completely smooth. With no chalk I couldn't grip the bar. My grip failed before my back. Had 315lb on the bar and my grip slipped on the third rep. In my basement gym I have an excellent power bar that glues to my hand. In the commercial gym I go to at home they have an excellent power bar. Ran into this in the past where a commercial gym has super expensive equipment but cheap out on the barbells they have.  All of their barbells should be thrown out. Just junk.

Tuesday is leg day. They have a leg press machine I never seen before. They also have a Hammer squat machine I want to try too.  It's fun trying new stuff. When I get to delt and arm day they have a seated dip machine that looks interesting. I don't know if it will feel different from conventional weighted dips but I guess I will find out.

Tomorrow is heavy bag and maybe some speed bag work. Their heavy bag is one of those very long MMA type bags. Maybe I will work on low kicks since the bag is so long.

So much for taking a vacation from working out. -Didn't even last one day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1404 on: September 13, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »
Ironnate, I go every year.  I try to avoid the tourist buffets.  They are too packed and have sneaky ways they bill you like including the tip on the bill and not telling you so you tip twice. Another thing they do there is to tell you what price it is but never tell you certain items like crab is extra.

The south has really strange taste in food. I'm spoiled by NY.  I had a steak down here and it tasted surgery. When asked they said it's their special steak coating. WTF?  I also got a shrimp cocktail expecting the sauce would have horseradish in it.  They gave me a sweet BBQ sauce to dip the shrimp.  The Southern Italian restaurants avoid garlic and the sauce/gravy tastes surgery. Not one Italian to be found working in them either. Another WTF?

Staying in a luxury condo that I rent.  Three balconies facing the Ocean.  I body surfed and stayed in the water for two hours today. It’s not like NJ.  Not a lifeguard insight.  Trained in a decent Mom and Pop gym. Plenty of the southern girls are hot but all the men are soft with bellies with strange hair cuts that look like a blind person did it. A certain percentage I found of the southern girls like to pretend they are tough. Usually the southern Virginia ones.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1405 on: September 15, 2020, 08:16:51 AM »
Trained legs in the vacation gym.  Used a Hammer strength squat machine.  It limited me to a little lower than a half squat but it felt like a good movement. Also tried a leg press machine I never saw before. Not sure of the brand. It could have been a Hammer too. Very smooth. The leg extension and leg curl machines in the place were really badly designed. Maybe I didn't have the adjustments dialed in. Strange but they didn't have in this big gym a stand up calf machine. Never seen that in a bodybuilding type gym. Only a broken down seated. One of the few gyms I've been to that allows outside personal trainers. They were everywhere.

One thing I have never seen before was this crazy cardio machine. I will have trouble describing it. A girl was using it and it looked bizarre.  You make a sides way circle with one leg then the other. It looks really strange in use. I put a picture of it below.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1406 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Trained legs in the vacation gym.  Used a Hammer strength squat machine.  It limited me to a little lower than a half squat but it felt like a good movement. Also tried a leg press machine I never saw before. Not sure of the brand. It could have been a Hammer too. Very smooth. The leg extension and leg curl machines in the place were really badly designed. Maybe I didn't have the adjustments dialed in. Strange but they didn't have in this big gym a stand up calf machine. Never seen that in a bodybuilding type gym. Only a broken down seated. One of the few gyms I've been to that allows outside personal trainers. They were everywhere.

One thing I have never seen before was this crazy cardio machine. I will have trouble describing it. A girl was using it and it looked bizarre.  You make a sides way circle with one leg then the other. It looks really strange in use. I put a picture of it below.

The 24 Hour Fitness near me has several of those machines. They actually have them from two different manufactures and each has slight variations from the other. You should give it a try. I've done so and I found it to be killer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1407 on: September 16, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
Trained delts and arms.  Hit the heavy bag prior.  Alternated bag use with a young personal trainer. Not putting him down but he hit the bag less than manly.  He sure looked the part with the muscles though.   He asked me if I was a boxer.  Sorry for the vanity post but it happened. 

The only difference was a seated dip machine and what I think was a Nautilus bicep curl machine.  This gym had the usual machine sitters watching people workout.  What the fuck is wrong with these people? Beginning to think working out at home is right for me. On a side not my butt is so sore from the Hammer strength V squat machine. Whoa!  Going to use my squat machine more. 

On another side note ammo is impossible to find. If you do it’s outrageously priced.  Thanks BLM.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1408 on: September 18, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
Trained the whole body in one shot. I'm on vacation so I'm working out in a gym that is really unfamiliar to me. Slows me down a little hunting for the equipment I want to use.

Leg press 3 of 12 Hammer strength leg press machine. So different from my leg press unit is the position you leg press from. Seems more hip dominate than quad.
Hammer strength V squat 2 of 12  two plates a side (Hit the lower safety catch each rep to make sure I was going deep)

Hammer pull down 2 x 10 two plates a side
Seated lat pulley rows 2 x 12 180lbs (This unit was attached to a pulldown unit that was close and across from me. Pretty blonde doing pulldowns right in front of me. A little distracting.)

Flat bench dumbbell bench press 2 x 8 70lbs (Went all the way down with a slow cadence trying not to aggravate my shoulders)
Cable flies 2 x 12

Hammer delt press 2 x 12
Machine laterals 2 x 12

Machine dips 2 x 10 ( Fantastic machine. It was a Precor dip machine. Perfectly designed.)
Machine curls 2 x 12 ( I want to say this machine was a Nautilus but I'm not sure. Two independent curling handles.)

Rogue reverse lower back bench 2 x 12 (I really didn't like this movement.  My lower back hurt after using it. )

Body weight single calf raises 2 x max

Forgot to do abs. The gym was so busy my head was spinning seeing all the hot girls in this place. The commercial gym I go to back home has very few good looking women. It's a hard core gym but it also attracts plenty of seniors because of the price and the owner never has a contract. Pay for a month or four and your membership is over. He plays no games.

Used a lot of machines instead of free weights at this gym. Maybe I should be heading in that direction as I age. It sure protects the joints but it takes out the balance component and maybe a little of the athletic component. I think all trainers should include a quick lift like a dumbbell snatch or a power clean. It makes lifting an athletic endeavor instead of a static exercises. I have to get back to that.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1409 on: September 19, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
I worked pecs yesterday and as part of that workout used this exact piece of equipment. It is an excellent machine.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1410 on: September 21, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »
Back to my home gym.  Got up early and lifted before work. I find it so hard to lift early. I'm stiff as a board and sleepy. Once I get the first exercise over with I wake up and my joints start to get lubed.

Pulldown with MAG bar 2 x 10
Low cable row with a V handle 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row with a knee on the bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 70lbs. ( Used a slow cadence and a full range of motion. Trying to protect my shoulders but I think this might be off the menu soon. Felt pain doing them. Listened to Clarence Bass on a youtube. Damn he's 83 now. I've been buying his books forever now. He said in effect exercises he can't do anymore he finds a substitute and he feels he is not missing out if I heard it correctly. There are so many exercises out there. Never feel that an exercise is mandatory. )
Dumbbell declines 2 x 8 65lbs (This might be my go to chest exercise from now on. Really causes no impingement or strain on the tendon. Might have to increase the grade of the decline. I have a very adjustable bench. Not sure if I found the best angle.)
Dips 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max (regular push ups and perfect pushup handles. Push ups are really underrated in the body building world. It's a great finisher.  It also rarely bothers my shoulders.)

Dead lift 2 x 4 315lbs (back is still in pain from trying reverse back extension bench on vacation.)
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head.

Weighted floor crunches with feet up on bench 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 50

Went to work and I felt great for a couple of hours then I started to fade.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1411 on: September 21, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
Back to my home gym.  Got up early and lifted before work. I find it so hard to lift early. I'm stiff as a board and sleepy. Once I get the first exercise over with I wake up and my joints start to get lubed.

Pulldown with MAG bar 2 x 10
Low cable row with a V handle 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row with a knee on the bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 70lbs. ( Used a slow cadence and a full range of motion. Trying to protect my shoulders but I think this might be off the menu soon. Felt pain doing them. Listened to Clarence Bass on a youtube. Damn he's 83 now. I've been buying his books forever now. He said in effect exercises he can't do anymore he finds a substitute and he feels he is not missing out if I heard it correctly. There are so many exercises out there. Never feel that an exercise is mandatory. )
Dumbbell declines 2 x 8 65lbs (This might be my go to chest exercise from now on. Really causes no impingement or strain on the tendon. Might have to increase the grade of the decline. I have a very adjustable bench. Not sure if I found the best angle.)
Dips 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max (regular push ups and perfect pushup handles. Push ups are really underrated in the body building world. It's a great finisher.  It also rarely bothers my shoulders.)

Dead lift 2 x 4 315lbs (back is still in pain from trying reverse back extension bench on vacation.)
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head.

Weighted floor crunches with feet up on bench 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 50

Went to work and I felt great for a couple of hours then I started to fade.

Well done, brother! 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1412 on: September 21, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »
Well done, brother!

Thanks, trying to fight the good fight. Read your latest workout. It's inspirational that you are training with your serious set backs. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1413 on: September 22, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Ran two miles prior to work. Hit the heavy bag after.  Think I'm still exhausted from vacation. About six hours into my shift I thought I was going fall asleep.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1414 on: September 23, 2020, 03:44:50 AM »
Ran two miles prior to work. Hit the heavy bag after.  Think I'm still exhausted from vacation. About six hours into my shift I thought I was going fall asleep.

Listen to your body and mind and get enough rest.  Perhaps reduce intensity, shorten workouts, etc. 

If that doesn't work drink coffee!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1415 on: September 23, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »
Listen to your body and mind and get enough rest.  Perhaps reduce intensity, shorten workouts, etc. 

If that doesn't work drink coffee!

I never drink coffee. I think I had it twice in my life. I see how people crave it almost like a drunk and that disturbs me. I have an addictive personality so too speak and I don't need another vice. My wife is like a zombie prior to coffee and after she becomes a motor mouth. I really don't want another vice in my life. On vacation I drank beer every day. That's a bad enough vice as it is.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1416 on: September 23, 2020, 04:59:25 AM »
Coffee really affects some people.  I can drink a cup and then take a nap.

Get more rest. 

What time do you go to bed at night?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1417 on: September 23, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »

Get more rest. 

That's me too. Coffee has no effect on my ability to sleep. But then, I usually have one or two cups a day, maybe three if I have one in the evening.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1418 on: September 23, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »

Get more rest. 

Last night about 9:30PM.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1419 on: September 23, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
Leg day at home:

Leg press 2 x 12 four plates a side. Low back board and I fully bent my legs. While on vacation it brought to light how so many leg press machines are designed differently. Mine is more thigh dominate. The commercial Hammer one I used was hip dominate. My butt was so sore the next day.
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 80lbs (Dumbbells held at sides with straps and I sunk my butt all the way down.)
Machine squat 1 x 10 two plates a side. Super slow negatives and ass to grass.
Stiff dead 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15 (actually like my cheap home unit better than the commercial one I used on vacation.)

Single dummbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging leg raises 2 x 22 (straight legs)
Floor hip ups 1 x 25 (feet to the ceiling and lift the hips toward the ceiling.)

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15 (In the commercial gym about 5 months ago a guy put a ridiculous amount of plates on the machine and did these short choppy calf raises. I really  don't know how he doesn't rip something.)
tibialis work 1 x 20

Neck work. One set a side.

Baby sitting the grand daughter today. When she goes home we are having a fire and some cold ones in the dark. In August my son in law noticed a lot of shade on the pool. He offered Monday to cut some trees down while I was at work. I came home from work and it looked like a chain saw massacre.  What the hell am I going to do with all these down branches and trees behind my fence? I think he just likes cutting down trees. What the hell? 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1420 on: September 23, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
Leg day at home:

Leg press 2 x 12 four plates a side. Low back board and I fully bent my legs. While on vacation it brought to light how so many leg press machines are designed differently. Mine is more thigh dominate. The commercial Hammer one I used was hip dominate. My butt was so sore the next day.
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 80lbs (Dumbbells held at sides with straps and I sunk my butt all the way down.)
Stiff dead 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15 (actually like my cheap home unit better than the commercial one I used on vacation.)

Floor hip ups 1 x 25 (feet to the ceiling and lift the hips toward the ceiling.)

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15 (In the commercial gym about 5 months ago a guy put a ridiculous amount of plates on the machine and did these short choppy calf raises. I really  don't know how he doesn't rip something.)
tibialis work 1 x 20

Baby sitting the grand daughter today. When she goes home we are having a fire and some cold ones in the dark. In August my son in law noticed a lot of shade on the pool. He offered Monday to cut some trees down while I was at work. I came home from work and it looked like a chain saw massacre.  What the hell am I going to do with all these down branches and trees behind my fence? I think he just likes cutting down trees. What the hell? 
Free firewood, bro.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1421 on: September 23, 2020, 02:13:43 PM »
Leg day at home:

Stiff dead 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 20

Standing calf 2 x 15
tibialis work 1 x 20

Too late now, but you should have marked the trees you wanted cut down by tying a ribbon around them. That's was the city arborist does when they need to cut trees at a park or in a parking strip. On private property, the owner does it if they want to avoid any confusion about what to cut and what not to cut.

The city of West Linn requires you get a permit to cut any trees, even though they are on your property. Once the city arborist makes sure the trees meet the criteria for cutting them down, signs are posted for a couple of weeks so neighbors have the opportunity to voice any objections. The trees must be under a certain size or they pose a treat to the property. Dead trees qualify. Heritage trees, like the firs and the oak in front of my house are considered heritage trees. If I wanted to cut them down, the process would be extensive and the city could still not issue the permits. If you cut them anyway, you are fined. Not sure how much. Over the last 20 years, I've had 10 trees removed and I've replaced 6 with new trees that don't get as big.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1422 on: September 25, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Trained delt and arms.  Only difference from the usual is that I used the narrow grip bench for triceps. So many love this movement but it feels awkward for me.

Military press cleaned from the floor 2 x 8 115lbs (took the bar all the way down to the clavicles each rep)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 25lbs (Thumbs up version to avoid impingement. I go high with these like Arnold. It's the fashion now to stop below parallel.
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 35lbs
Face pulls 2 x 15 75lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs ( I try to do a full movement instead of jerks)

Rope tricep 2 x 12
Close grip bench 2 x 6 (I know they are a favorite of many but I just don't feel them hard in the tricep. Maybe I never gave them a fair chance.)
Reverse grip single tricep pulley push downs 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Narrow grip barbell curls 2 x 10 80lbs (I like the way they keep the hand supinated.)
concentration curls 2 x 12

forearm wrist curls 2 x 20 85lbs (I was using 95lbs forever and found with the lighter weight I could get a better and fuller contraction.)
Reverse wrist extension 2 x 15  (Used too much weight. Thought it could lead to an injury. Using a lighter weight next time. I use a Dard contraption that is meant to train the tibialis muscle. I found if I sit on a bench with my feet on a block using my knees for a platform it's an excellent wrist extension device.

Took the dog in the wood by my house.  I live in a suburban development.  If I walk in between some houses I can go onto a trail that goes around a lake in the woods. It's really rare to see another person. The trees makes the place silent. Feels like I'm fifty miles from another person.  It also can look ominous. Just seen to many weird things like a Harley helmet floating in the lake. I wish I had the time to elaborate on this sanctuary of solitude with the dog.

I saw a little girl around 9 years old on the trail. It's a rare sight to see anyone. She was calling for her lost dog. In the distance I could hear her mother calling the dog's name too. I looked for the dog in the woods and when I came out the mother looked frantic pushing a baby stroller looking. Then I heard her husband yelling, "I got the dog he was hiding under the deck." Glad they found their family member.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1423 on: September 26, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
Cool doggy.

You are hitting it hard in the gym.  Way to go.

Those DARD devices are neat.  I'm too cheap to buy one.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1424 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »
Cool doggy.

You are hitting it hard in the gym.  Way to go.

Those DARD devices are neat.  I'm too cheap to buy one.

The dog belongs to my daughter. He comes over our house when she has a work conflict and no one will be home. She and her husband work 12 hours days. The dog is a character and a half.