Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more

<< < (3/27) > >>

pumpster:

--- Quote from: akers1021 on June 06, 2007, 04:24:19 AM ---
Basically it's like this, your calves and legs are the most used bodyparts of any you have.  You walk and work them with every step you take.  THis is why for "most" you have to do crazy calf workouts to get growth, like 3 different excersise's with drop sets, double or triple sets.  Rest pause's, things like this.  Do one movement and then drop to bodyweight raises for like 50 reps.  You have to do crazy things to get them to grow. 

--- End quote ---

Ya, they get a lot of daily work, therefore subjecting them to more severe trauma's sometimes necessary.

However if you DO work em seriously, i don't see why they shouldn't respond like anything else. In fact sometimes moreso because the exercise options are limited, direct movements that are intense on the muscle.

pumpster:

--- Quote from: Petrucci on June 06, 2007, 06:25:13 AM ---i agree...Its like all the pros you see with small calves and forearms...After all, they are PROS, so i dont think they lack this muscles just because they are lazy or things like that...genetics really are the most important thing in these 2 muscle groups for what it seems...

--- End quote ---

Don't make too many assumptions. Arnold supposedly didn't have anything special then went above and beyond to address it. You can't be sure that every pro went to that extent to find out for sure that the "genetics" couldn't be fixed. It's entirely possible that some pros still neglect certain areas relative to others, even when they do work em.

pumpster:

--- Quote from: YoungBlood on June 06, 2007, 07:06:59 AM ---Aside from insertions and genetic issues (having calves or not, is not a genetic problem- it's a cop out!), calves are not hard to grow.

--- End quote ---

Agreed; the issue might be work ethic and/or trying different approaches more than anything, given that the exercises are direct and work the muscle hard. Let's face it we have no idea whether every pro works calves as hard as other areas, or has done everything possible to bring them up.

andre90:
genetics i harldy work mine and im 16 years old so idk?

Faust:

--- Quote from: Max_Rep on June 06, 2007, 09:29:43 AM ---Check out this thread. mtwain gained something like 3 inches on his calves in over year after he had failed to gain on them for years and years. The thread gets into great detail on how he did it.

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=13948.0

--- End quote ---

What's interesting to me is the "stretching" aspect of training calves.
I've heard it several times already.

This guy's training method emphasises it as well. In DC training this is stressed as well and a lot of people have good results with it on calves (i believe Alexxx here as well).

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=13948.0
Max_rep, could you download that picture on the first page and upload it here? (They aren't allowing new accounts on ironage, so i cant see it.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version