Author Topic: Google Analytics  (Read 5318 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Google Analytics
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Why is Getbig running Google Analytics?

For those who don't know: it's a nifty script from Google, transferring your Web site access behaviour to Google (and who knows whom else).

For those of you who don't want that to happen: install a script blocker like NoScript for Firefox.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Google Analytics
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »
thanks for the heads up  :)

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
Why is Getbig running Google Analytics?

For those who don't know: it's a nifty script from Google, transferring your Web site access behaviour to Google (and who knows whom else).

For those of you who don't want that to happen: install a script blocker like NoScript for Firefox.

so Ron is spying on us???

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
so Ron is spying on us???

The script runs on this site. The data is transmitted to Google. It might come with the ads on the front page. Maybe it's just a mistake that it also runs on the board. Either way, a selective script blocker should be installed in any case with google-analytics.com blocked, since it runs on many sites.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »
how do I use no script?

dumb question but if I enable it I won't be able to view right?

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
Obviously Ron is using it to track traffic stats, nothing nefarious about it. Zillions of sites use it, no biggie imo.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
how do I use no script?

dumb question but if I enable it I won't be able to view right?

Nopes, everything works just fine, just the google script isn't executed and therefore doesn't send info to google anymore.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
Obviously Ron is using it to track traffic stats, nothing nefarious about it. Zillions of sites use it, no biggie imo.

I don't think that's how it works. AFAIK, a web page owner signs up to it (for whatever benefits) and the data is sent to Google so that they can generate profiles of your surfing behaviour. Traffic stats of the board are collected by the board software and have nothing to do with it.

IMO it is a biggie, because most people don't know that their IP-address and surfing behavior is sent to Google without their knowledge. It's one thing if a site stores access info for internal statistics or if user specific data is sent to a central organization.

You are right however that Getbig is one of many sites that run the script. That's why I block such scripts in general.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »
I don't think that's how it works. AFAIK, a web page owner signs up to it (for whatever benefits) and the data is sent to Google so that they can generate profiles of your surfing behaviour. Traffic stats of the board are collected by the board software and have nothing to do with it.

IMO it is a biggie, because most people don't know that their IP-address and surfing behavior is sent to Google without their knowledge. It's one thing if a site stores access info for internal statistics or if user specific data is sent to a central organization.

You are right however that Getbig is one of many sites that run the script. That's why I block such scripts in general.

I use google analytics for my websites, and really that is not my understanding of it, do you have any credible link to say the info is sent to google?

Besides it's an IP is all they can collect, and they know enough about you if you use gmail anyway.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:23 AM »
I use google analytics for my websites, and really that is not my understanding of it, do you have any credible link to say the info is sent to google?

Besides it's an IP is all they can collect, and they know enough about you if you use gmail anyway.

Unfortunally, the English Wiki page about it is written like an ad, and rightfully marked as such (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics). I can provide a link to the German entry:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

"Datenschutzrechtlich betrachtet ist dieses Tool von Google problematisch und umstritten. Theoretisch kann Google mit Google Analytics ein umfassendes Nutzerprofil von Webseiten-Besuchern anlegen. Wird ein anmeldungspflichtiger Google-Dienst von den Besuchern verwendet, so kann dieses Nutzerprofil auch bestimmten Personen zugeordnet werden.
... Durch den Einsatz eines Tools wie Google Analytics wird aber mitunter die vollständige IP-Adresse (ein personenbezogenes Datum) des Seitenbesuchers an einen Dritten (Google) übermittelt..."

It says:

The tool is very questionable regarding data privacy. Theoretically, Google can generate an extensive user profile of web site users. If a service is used which requires a login, the profile can even be assigned to certain persons.
.. through Google Analytics, the complete IP address of the web site user is transmitted to a third party (Google) ...

If I also have a gmail account, even worse. In this case, they can easily assign a user profile, they made on my IP address, to me personally.

I have no problem with it running on any site, I just think people should be informed about it, so that they can block it, if they want to. A script like that (which transmits data to third parties) is completely unnecessary for the purpose of generating statistics on your web page.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

Where am I using Google Analytics?  I would like to know if it is installed somewhere, and on which page?

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »

Where am I using Google Analytics?  I would like to know if it is installed somewhere, and on which page?

Code: [Select]
<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
_uacct="UA-643774-2";
urchinTracker();

right in http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »

Removed that script from the boards. I wasnt aware of it.  But if there is anything else like that, please tell me. Thanks.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:27 PM »
Removed that script from the boards. I wasnt aware of it.  But if there is anything else like that, please tell me. Thanks.

Thanks a lot Ron, that's what I thought, just left in by mistake.
Now the boards are 100% clean again. :)

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 06:33:11 AM »
just in case, its up to ron wheter to use such or not, you guys aint the owners of this place. Dont like it? Dont come here, simple as that.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »
just in case, its up to ron wheter to use such or not, you guys aint the owners of this place. Dont like it? Dont come here, simple as that.

I agree, I only started the thread to make people (and Ron) aware of it.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »

Actually, I am irked on that, because it was probably left over from a cut and paste on updating one of the types of themes here. You can change the theme, and there are a few others here too, although we rarely use them.

And I appreciate all who actually want to help!