Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

Dips

<< < (2/12) > >>

chaos:
I know 2 people that have torn their pecs while dipping.

oldtimer1:

--- Quote from: chaos on September 17, 2017, 02:32:46 PM ---I know 2 people that have torn their pecs while dipping.

--- End quote ---

Wow, I wonder if their shoulders were tight from benching I think benches really contributes to inflexible shoulders. I notice a technique everyone is using now using various boards on the chest for partial benches. It's really not a new technique. I just see every power lifter using it now.  I think Chuck Sipes a bodybuilder was the pioneer of it. He used a power rack. Started doing his sets for a couple of weeks doing quarter reps lock outs. Then a couple weeks of half reps. Then 3/4 reps. Going to full reps it feels like you have a spring from the tightness.  I tried that when I heard of it in my 20's.  My shoulder went immediately out.  The guys with the boards use the same concept but they stick to around 3/4 reps. Personally I thing it's a recipe to really mess up your shoulder joint.

robcguns:
I started doing dips at 14 and did them until last year 24 years.my best was 2 100lb plates between legs weighing 260 for 8 when I did dips I went down as far as you cocan of go and I believe it is what ruined my shoulders.I did a body weight set and got over 100 at 250.Tris,chest and shoulders got most there size from dips I believe.I would do 20 sets once a week of dips.Beat exercise ever if your shoulders can handl them.

Grape Ape:

--- Quote from: robcguns on November 09, 2017, 06:07:14 AM ---I started doing dips at 14 and did them until last year 24 years.my best was 2 100lb plates between legs weighing 260 for 8 when I did dips I went down as far as you cocan of go and I believe it is what ruined my shoulders.I did a body weight set and got over 100 at 250.Tris,chest and shoulders got most there size from dips I believe.I would do 20 sets once a week of dips.Beat exercise ever if your shoulders can handl them.

--- End quote ---

That's some legit weight.  Props.

I was able to do 10 reps with 3-45s, using the leaning forward style.

Now I avoid them completely.  One, I've had both shoulders fixed, but two, they really stress the insertions on the sternum, which always causes me pain.

jpm101:
The subjects of dips always reminds me of the late great Marvin Eder. His 400lb dips for 7 reps and his 430 for one rep  is something I'd remembering reading about as a teenager. He also did something like one arm pull ups for 7 or 8 reps.  Eder weighed around 198, and that bwt never seemed to change his whole life. He was a one in a million natural strongman. Being born with superior ligament and tendon doesn't hurt either.

If only doing two exercises for the upper body, might suggest the dip and pull ups...throwing in chin up as a alternate from time to time. Of course few take them seriously today, which is a mistake on their parts. Both exercises are know as body through space movements.

I've worked with a few gymnast before in the weight room at college and other training places, and yes they can include  weight training. Not just their strength in dips & chins (push-pull) but extension exercises like DB lateral, front and rear raises.  Example might be holds. Press a  DB overhead, than lower it out to the side and hold that DB position for 10 to 15 seconds each rep.  Than raise it back overhead again for another rep. Working that style with DB rear delt raised give not  only stable holding power but impressive read delts. This also improves the ligament and tendon strength, a very important element in any sport.

Good Luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version