Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Logs and Info

TIO Training Log

(1/9) > >>

ThisisOverload:
I haven't really tracked my workouts in a few years and since i've been pretty lazy most of 2020 due to Covid shutting down my gym until recently, i've decided to track my workouts here. It's an easy place to report my progress and at least have some feedback.

I've been lifting weights consistently since high school; competed in one bodybuilding show, a few Olympic Weightlifting events and a few dozen power lifting events. So i have a broad knowledge of lifting weights and dieting.

I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

I'm 44 years old, been lifting since i was 15. Only took some short breaks here and there for a few months when i felt burnt out.

Currently 228 pounds, 5' 11" and 12-13% BF. Blonde hair, blue eyes. ;D I enjoy wine and sunsets in the mountains.

My ancestry is Irish/Scottish and Lithuanian. I still have mother's family in Scotland. Dad's family came from Lithuania in the late 1800's.

I workout by myself, there is a small private gym i go to that only allows 4-5 people inside at a time. I have been lifting during my lunch hour, since that's the best slot for me right now. I prefer to workout after work, but this is fine.

Workouts are short and intense, not much downtime, maybe a minute between sets.

I typically train to positive failure, where i feel like i can probably squeeze out another rep or two, but i push until my form goes downhill. I don't do any forced reps or anything like that, i have a lot of old injuries that flare up when i go too hard.

Goals right now are to bulk up a bit until the end of January, then cut down to 200-205 by May-ish.

I mainly do this because i like to, not interested in strength or looking good for people, i just like to workout and be healthy.

I also follow a very strict diet, that focuses on health. Low carb most of the time, but i do go out to eat and relax regularly. Since i live alone it's easy to cook healthy food. My girlfriend lives 2 hours away, so she's not here all the time to distract me into eating tamales and enchiladas. She's in good shape and works out, but likes to eat Mexican food more than i do. She's a wonderful cook.

Anyway, here's my workout from today. I do a lot of assimilation sets, so if you see some random sets of 5 reps, that's why. Then i'll do 2-3 working sets. I prefer to do my working sets in the 10-15 rep range; every few weeks i'll add weight and do 6-8 rep range to see how my strength is. I always go by how i feel, sometimes i do more, sometimes less, just depends on my energy level.

Monday 12/14/2020 - Chest / Biceps

Incline DB press - 2 warmup sets - 60x5 - 70x5 - 80x5 - 90x12 - 100x12 - 105x10
Pec deck machine - 5 sets of 12-15 starting at 140 up to 210 - slow and controlled with a hard squeeze
Flat iso chest press machine - 2 sets of 15 at 220 - 2 sets of 15 at 240 - 2 sets of 12-15 at 250 - focus on stretch and squeeze, elbows out wide
Pushups - 3 sets of 20 with bodyweight only, just focus on the pump

Standing DB curls - 2 warmup sets - 45x15 - 55x15 - 65x15 - 70x12
Standing DB hammer curls - 55x12 - 60x12 - 65x10 - 65x10
Standing EZ curl cable - 80x15 - 90x15 - 100x15 - 100x12 - just getting a painful pump to finish them off

Was running out of time so i stopped there, i typically do abs and 20-30 minutes of low intensity cardio if i have time. Too much to do at work this week, no long lunches for a while.

Lunch was leftover 10oz sirloin steak, 1 cup of rice seasoned, 2 cups of broccoli with curry sauce and 8oz of 2% milk.

Nothing fancy, but i feel fantastic.

IroNat:
Great to have you, TIO.

Oldtimer and I are steady posters here and a couple others post occasionally.

Your workout is darn good,

oldtimer1:
70lb dumbbells for curls! That is rarified air right there. Good post.

ThisisOverload:
Thanks guys!

I was reading your logs over the weekend and that helped inspire me to track mine here. It keeps me focused when i track workouts.

My arms are pretty strong, when they are fresh. I enjoy DB curls more than anything. My wrists can't take heavy BB curls unless it's an EZ curl bar.

I'll try to keep this up to date.

ThisisOverload:
Tuesday - 12/15/2020 - Legs

I typically train legs harder than this, but i've been having a funny feeling in my knee the last month or so. There is a weird pinch at the top of my kneecap when i walk up stairs, it doesn't bother me when lifting, but it is in the back of my mind. This is the knee i had an ACL reconstruction on 15 years ago. I need to see my Ortho.

Good mornings - i do these more for a warmup, they help get my back and hams ready to squat.

-Bar x 2 sets of 30
-135 x 15
-185 x 15
-185 x 15

BB front squats - Olympic style grip and full depth
-135 x 15
-185 x 5
-205 x 5
-225 x 12
-245 x 12
-255 x 10
I was going to hit 275 but feel hesitant with the weird feeling in my right knee

BB lunges
-105 x 15
-115 x 15
-125 x 12
-135 x 12

Ham curl machine
-5 sets of 12-15 working up from 140 to 210 on the stack - slow controlled negative

Leg extension machine
-5 sets of 15-20 working up from 110 to 190 on the stack - smooth reps for a nice pump

Seated calf raises - plate loaded
-90 x 30
-135 x 25
-160 x 25
-170 x 20
-135 x 30 pump
-90 x 30 pump
I have found that high reps work best for calves. My calves are great but it's 100% genetic, they have been shaped well since i hit puberty. Last two sets are just for a pump. Working sets are slow and controlled with a hard squeeze and pause at the top.

15 minutes on the stationary bike at a steady pace, target heartrate 130 ish.

Lunch was a Jimmy Johns 12" roast beef and turkey, cheese, pickles, onions and mustard. Didn't have time to cook last night and had to get something fast. Work is really busy.

I'm going to cook salmon, green beans and seasoned red potatoes tonight. Always drink a glass of milk with meals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version