Author Topic: A New Bed  (Read 2615 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
A New Bed
« on: November 30, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
It is time for me to buy a new mattress for a couple of reasons. Mainly, my current bed is literally a pain in my back. It is also a king-size bed, which is kind of lonely and that isn't likely to change. I bought the mattress and box springs in December 2013. It is a hybrid, spring and memory foam mattress, which lost its memory (like I sometimes do).

What to buy? I'm considering a queen Sleep Number 360 p6 smart bed, with an adjustable flexfit base...great for sitting up in bed. I also need a queen bedstead to replace the King headboard. Altogether this is going to set me back about $5 K or a little more because I also need new bedding.

My daughter and son-in-law recently bought a Sleep Number mattress and base. They say it is the best mattress they ever slept on. If anyone here has any experience with a Sleep Number mattress, I'd like your opinion on it, both pros and cons.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: A New Bed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:37:23 PM »
Most mattresses actually are made by the same two companies. The worst mattress I every bought was a  pillow top. I think it's a Serta.  I sink in it so low I have to do a sit up to get out of it. Just horrible. I often go into one of the spare rooms to sleep on a 25 year old mattresses that are actually better than this three year old crap bed.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:38:24 PM »
You might want to try a Purple mattress. I'm happy with mine.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Any bed with memory foam is going to break down.  How fast is just a matter of time.  The firmer the bed (and foam) the slower it breaks down.  Of course that means it tends to sleep like the floor when you first get it.  Many people simply buy a firm mattress and then throw a $300 mattress pad on top.

Personally, I use the iComfort series by Serta.  It has a carbon fiber / gel mixed in with the foam so it helps staying cool all night.  Normal memory foam just gets too hot for me.

Just going to throw this out there, but if you are retired and on Medicare, then you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for Medicare to cover the cost of your mattress.  You said you have back pain.  That's all the reason you really need.  It must last for 5 years, which you say you had the current one for 8 years.. so you should be good to go there.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
It is time for me to buy a new mattress for a couple of reasons. Mainly, my current bed is literally a pain in my back. It is also a king-size bed, which is kind of lonely and that isn't likely to change. I bought the mattress and box springs in December 2013. It is a hybrid, spring and memory foam mattress, which lost its memory (like I sometimes do).

What to buy? I'm considering a queen Sleep Number 360 p6 smart bed, with an adjustable flexfit base...great for sitting up in bed. I also need a queen bedstead to replace the King headboard. Altogether this is going to set me back about $5 K or a little more because I also need new bedding.

My daughter and son-in-law recently bought a Sleep Number mattress and base. They say it is the best mattress they ever slept on. If anyone here has any experience with a Sleep Number mattress, I'd like your opinion on it, both pros and cons.

We bought a king size " Stearns and Foster" a few years ago and absolutely LOVE it.
By far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept or humped on.  100% serious

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »

I've seen more and more ads for those.  But the waffle type design of the flex/gel grid was too "squishy" for me when I tried it.   What brand did you get?

https://purple.com/mattresses

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »
Memory foam of any sort is hotter than hell to sleep on IMO.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »
We bought a king size " Stearns and Foster" a few years ago and absolutely LOVE it.

This kind?   My gf got one of these five weeks ago from Macy’s.  The “luxury firm” edition.  We couldn’t send it back fast enough.   The one in the showroom and the one they delivered were NOT the same even though they claimed it was.  Paid $3000+ for a 14.5 inch model.  The one that arrived was 13.5 and they swore it was the same.   They wanted a 15% restocking fee to take it back after two days.  AmEx was like “nahhh brahhh we got this.  Don’t you worry “

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
I've seen more and more ads for those.  But the waffle type design of the flex/gel grid was too "squishy" for me when I tried it.   What brand did you get?

https://purple.com/mattresses

An "original" purple mattress.

I understand what you mean about the grid being squishy, there was about a week adjustment period, I was honestly surprised by how much I like it.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »

I took a shit that looks like Shizzo. I put it in the freezer and from time to  time I will sodomize myself with it and then right back into the freezer.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 09:02:07 PM »

Yes. I read a little online about them. The make several types. Some are all memory foam and others are a hibrid of foam and coils. What I current have is a hybrid. There are permanent depressions in the memory foam so much so, that you have to literally force roll out of them. Rolling across the width of the bed is a series of up and down hills. And it is not like I am huge at 175 lbs.  :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »
Any bed with memory foam is going to break down.  How fast is just a matter of time.  The firmer the bed (and foam) the slower it breaks down.  Of course that means it tends to sleep like the floor when you first get it.  Many people simply buy a firm mattress and then throw a $300 mattress pad on top.

Personally, I use the iComfort series by Serta.  It has a carbon fiber / gel mixed in with the foam so it helps staying cool all night.  Normal memory foam just gets too hot for me.

Just going to throw this out there, but if you are retired and on Medicare, then you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for Medicare to cover the cost of your mattress.  You said you have back pain.  That's all the reason you really need.  It must last for 5 years, which you say you had the current one for 8 years.. so you should be good to go there.

Thanks. I will definitely look into this because buying a decent mattress is like a major expense today. The one I'm sleeping on now was less than $1,200 and it was a high end mattress.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 09:07:15 PM »

Interestingly enough, my current mattress is a Sterns and Foster.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 09:08:40 PM »
Memory foam of any sort is hotter than hell to sleep on IMO.

And I sleep hot. My daughter and son-in-law previous mattress was memory foam they hated it for that reason.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
Yes. I read a little online about them. The make several types. Some are all memory foam and others are a hibrid of foam and coils. What I current have is a hybrid. There are permanent depressions in the memory foam so much so, that you have to literally force roll out of them. Rolling across the width of the bed is a series of up and down hills. And it is not like I am huge at 175 lbs.  :)

And I sleep hot. My daughter and son-in-law previous mattress was memory foam they hated it for that reason.

Again try the purple. They have them at mattress stores now and even stand alone stores, so you can lay on it and feel it out before you even buy one. Plus you try it for 100 nights free.

You sleep on a grid that sits on a foam layer. The grid is great for those that sleep hot as the heat isnt trapped in the material.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
You buy a firm box spring mattress which should last you years.

You then buy a separate memory foam mattresses topper, 3 inches thickness is ideal. You replace this every 6 to 12 months.

You'll never have back problems because of bed mattress ever again.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
You buy a firm box spring mattress which should last you years.

You then buy a separate memory foam mattresses topper, 3 inches thickness is ideal. You replace this every 6 to 12 months.

You'll never have back problems because of bed mattress ever again.

Ingenious!

This is really a great idea.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
Again try the purple. They have them at mattress stores now and even stand alone stores, so you can lay on it and feel it out before you even buy one. Plus you try it for 100 nights free.

You sleep on a grid that sits on a foam layer. The grid is great for those that sleep hot as the heat isnt trapped in the material.

Makes sense. Seems the worst is when the entire mattress is foam.

Purple Mattress (all-foam)
Purple Hybrid (foam and coils)
Purple Hybrid Premier (foam and coils)

So far no feedback on the Sleep Number mattress. 

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:54 PM »
Anticipated joke never came  ;D
I guess bed prices are not following CIP inflation curve.
All those flashy brands and NASA technology crap is consumerism at its finest.
Traditional coil beds are way to go for me
My late brother owned an expensive swedish brand with all the marketing yada yada, he hated it.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 10:23:43 PM »
Why not just with a tempurpedic?

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:16 PM »
Im a hot sleeper normally sleep on the bed no duvet and in winter just wear a fleece top. We have a memory foam, its very comfortable. I guess there is 2 inches or so memory foam on top of a regular spring matress.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
Why not just with a tempurpedic?

Why not? They're not cheap though at about $3 to $4 G's.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 02:01:52 AM »
Be a real man and sleep on the floor.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 03:55:13 AM »
Be a real man and sleep on the floor.

Or the couch.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 06:08:25 AM »
Mattress industry is a scam. You can't really tell if the mattress is comfortable from lying on it for 15 minutes. You could try seeing what mattress in a hotel but they change their names.

See if you can find a guy to make you one. They do make custom mattresses for less than most commercial ones and will adjust springs etc. Most places will be happy to talk your ear off about the mattress details as well.